Why was our D so bad with Dykes?

6,420 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rafterfan180
Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dykes has a masters in education, IIRC. He's the son of a CFB coach. He could probably talk the talk of education. Look I didn't like his tenure but I'll give credit where it's due.
southseasbear
McIntyre was the coach I wanted Sandy to hire. It seems as if she thought Cal fans were stupid enough to attend games regardless of the success or quality of the team as long as we just had an exciting offense.

Nevertheless, I give credit to Dykes for improving academic performance and instilling some team/school pride.
upsetof86
Because leadership at the top, especially when it comes to young people, matters a ton. When the top is not hands on and scrutinizing and knowledgeable (read able to assess accountability) of one of the facets of the game, that facet suffers. Beamer ball is a classic example of this in my mind. Coach Beamer knows how much ST play matters and how often its 3rd string in the process at most teams. So he would take the helm there. Bought him a decade of football he normally wouldn't have seen at Va Tech in my opinion.
rafterfan180
Bear19 said:

Another Bear said:

. On the football side, he shouldn't been hired but that's who was available.
Wilcox was available & wanted the job. And there were plenty of other coaches, had Barbour done her job right.

Like Chris Peterson
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.