Poll: Who is your emotional #1 QB: Goff or Rodgers?

10,396 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OneTopOneChickenApple
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As in, who do you feel more invested in as a fan? Star your choice.
B.A. Bearacus
Goff
B.A. Bearacus
Rodgers
bear2034
Aaron Goff

https://www.linkedin.com/in/aarongoff

okaydo
Jared Goff: Looked like a bust his rookie season.
Aaron Rodgers: Looked like a bust his rookie season.

Jared Goff: Team goes 4-12 in rookie year. Head coach is fired and replaced by an NFC offensive coordinator
Aaron Rodgers: Team goes 4-12 in rookie year. Head coach is fired and replaced by an NFC offensive coordinator.

Jared Goff: Looked so good in his first year starting under his second head coach that he's called a system QB.
Aaron Rodgers: Looked so good in his first year starting under his second head coach that he's called a system QB.

B.A. Bearacus
Jared Rodgers

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rodgersjared/

okaydo
Uhhh...it's hard. But I'd like Goff to overcome the perception that he's Sean McVay's puppet.

For those who don't know the story: NFL Films has been the bane of Goff's existence. First he was followed by Hard Knocks from the moment he was drafted to the end of his first training camp. Then NFL Films stuck around to follow him around for Amazon's All or Nothing. Then in the Houston game, NFL Films showed McVay saying something in his mic and Goff repeating it, leading to the perception that the only reason Goff is good is because McVay is his puppet. (And every pundit saying it's so easy. This could be applied to any other struggling QB. Of course, Sean Mannion still sucks.)

Drew Magary wrote this in why your team sucks. Hate it or not, that's the perception of Goff. And with him not doing preseason, it might be bad tonight. hopefully it isn't.
https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2018-los-angeles-rams-1828573405

This is what Magary wrote last year. (I'm a big fan of Magary's writing -- don't worry he sh*t on every team equally, including his own, the vikings):

This is the 10th anniversary of Rodgers' first season as starter. And there were of course a lot of questions and doubters. It comes with the territory, especially following Favre. Hopefully, Goff could have a similar arc. (But not too similar.)

B.A. Bearacus
Sunday Night Football Intro Rodgers best not be reading this thread!

I would vote for Rodgers (but can't vote in this poll). Been rooting for Rodgers too long and he was the first QB I watched at Cal who blossomed into an elite NFL qb. Would be thrilled to see Goff become an elite NFL qb, but I'm not going to adjust my schedule just yet to watch Rams games.
golden sloth
Got to watch Goff for three years, Rodgers one (I started watching Cal football in '04). Goff by far.
okaydo
B.A. Bearacus said:

Sunday Night Football Intro Rodgers best not be reading this thread!

I would vote for Rodgers (but can't vote in this poll). Been rooting for Rodgers too long and he was the first QB I watched at Cal who blossomed into an elite NFL qb. Would be thrilled to see Goff become an elite NFL qb, but I'm not going to adjust my schedule just yet to watch Rams games.

Rams and Packers play at the same time only twice this season, on December 2 and December 9.

(Not counting the game they play against each other.)
hanky1
Rodgers. I overlapped with him for a year at Cal. I still get pretty upset whenever he throws a single incomplete pass. It's like he really sucks whenever he does.
SoFlaBear
Rodgers is the G.O.A.T. QB at Cal.

My emotional #1 is Steve Levy.
NYCGOBEARS
Goff.
bearister
Goff, because his loyalty to Cal was never conditioned on whether the Athletic Director made decisions regarding the Head Coach in conformity with his personal preference.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bear2034
Okaydo, just for you for $292.95.

https://www.comc.com/Cards/Football/2016/Panini_National_Treasures_Collegiate_-_Dual_Signatures/5/Aaron_Rodgers_Jared_Goff/13078119
calumnus
Intellectially, it is Goff, but emotionally, it is still Rodgers. I always knew he would be a great one, and his getting screwed by the Niners and dropping on draft day, the the abuse from Farve and the Green Bay fans all had me fully invested. I still feel he does not get his due, due to his organization failing to surround him with talent.

Goff, I was worried about going as the #1, and am just relieved he is not a bust. The Rams are now (again) becoming my NFL team (once the Raiders move to Las Vegas and Marshawn retires again). Hopefully Goff becomes a great one, I'm rooting for him!
oursdor
Aaron Rodgers is maybe the best player in the history of the game and should have played in a Rose Bowl. Goff was saddled with three miserable seasons at Cal where he put up empty calorie numbers and lost almost every meaningful conference / rivalry game. I literally can't remember a single legit "highlight" from his three seasons. None of that is his fault but it's not even close for me.
tequila4kapp
oursdor said:

Aaron Rodgers is maybe the best player in the history of the game and should have played in a Rose Bowl. Goff was saddled with three miserable seasons at Cal where he put up empty calorie numbers and lost almost every meaningful conference / rivalry game. I literally can't remember a single legit "highlight" from his three seasons. None of that is his fault but it's not even close for me.
This is a little more pointed than I would have said it but this about sums it up for me. Plus, AR is family friends with a family friend so I pull for and like him.
StillNoStanfurdium
Goff beat Texas at Texas. That's pretty memorable in my book.
B.A. Bearacus
StillNoStanfurdium said:

Agreed. Beating Texas was highly satisfying and had special significance.
okaydo
oursdor said:

Rank the Top 5 Aaron Rodgers victories at Cal
okaydo
oskirules said:

Okaydo, just for you for $292.95.

https://www.comc.com/Cards/Football/2016/Panini_National_Treasures_Collegiate_-_Dual_Signatures/5/Aaron_Rodgers_Jared_Goff/13078119

No thinks. I did spend $50 on a Rodgers bobblehead .

When Goff gets a Cal bobblehead, I'll get one too.
HoopDreams
Goff

he is all Cal
okaydo
I am about equal on both. I searched "Goff" on Twitter, and realized I didn't want to read all the sh*t-talking about him. Hopefully he has a better game -- though this game wasn't too bad considering it was his first real action in 8 months and he didn't pull a "Carr" or "Garrapalo."

(Carr has 3 interceptions after 1 game. Goff had 7 after 15 games last season.)

It's like the old saying that there are some girls you want to settle down with and marry and there are some girls you want to have a fling with.

There are some QBs who just look so good. Even though there is a lot of boom and bust to them. And there are QBs who are steady but boring. That is Goff.

I will still defend him, though.

I also can't stop being a fanboy about Rodgers. So he said "Butte" from about 2011/12 to 2015/16. So what?

Butte was an important part of his life.

Just like Rodgers was an important part of many of our Cal fandoms.

I was absolutely sick during part of yesterday's Packers game.

golden sloth
oursdor said:

Calling his work at Cal 'empty calorie numbers' is a bit harsh and demeaning for the following reasons:

1. Goff was saddled with the worst Cal coach of the last 15 years.

2. Goff had 5 fellow offensive players drafted by the NFL spread out over his three seasons (Rodgers, Lasco, Khalfani, Trevor Davis, and Stephen Andersen) none of which were drafted early. Rodgers had 3 NFL draft picks in the backfield with him in 2004 alone (Arrington, Lynch, Forsett) and 3 on the line in front of him (Merz, O'Callaghan, Philip) and Craig Stevens at TE.

3. Memorable games include back to back come from behind wins against Colorado and Washington State in 2014, beat Texas at Texas, beat Washington at Washington (against a very good defensive backfield), and led the come from behind win versus Arizona State over Thanksgiving weekend.

4. Highlights off the top of my head, the first TD to Trevor Davis in the Utah 2015 game was beautiful, the first TD against Texas to Maurice Harris when he spins out of a sack and find him on the scramble, the second effort on the 4th down conversion to seal the game at Washington in 2015, any one of his 96 touchdown passes, in the 2015 ASU game it was late and a Dlineman had him dead to rights wrapping him, he somehow spins out of it and finds Chad Hansen for a key first down, Cal goes on to kick a field goal to win the game.

5. If Goff had missed ANY games, it would have been the dark days. He was the only thing keeping anything resembling a team together. If he had flipped to another school after Tedford's firing Cal would have won no more than 5 games over Dykes' three seasons (yes, he would have been fired and Webb would not have transferred).

6. Goff endured a lot of hits and lacked coaching talent and player talent around him, Cal may not have been on fire in his time, but he kept the flame lit, which sometimes is harder to do.
calumnus
B.A. Bearacus said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

Agreed. Beating Texas was highly satisfying and had special significance.

It was great! We were there, surrounded by Texas fans in their alumni section on the 50 yard line (but higher up). They were real friendly...at first....then they were increasing drunk and testy. Amazing plays in that game.
calumnus
okaydo said:

oursdor said:

Rank the Top 5 Aaron Rodgers victories at Cal

Exactly. Probably his biggest victory was the 52-49 win over VT in the 2003 Insight Bowl, back when people thought those kinds of wins were exciting.

His best performance was the 2004 SC game when he set an NCAA record for consecutive completions against the #1 team in the country on their home field. Of course, that was a loss. Truly great performance though.

A couple of Big Game victories against a bottom dwelling Stanford team?

We lead the nation in rushing with over 3,000 yards in 2004. We had injuries at WR. Big games from Arrington and memorable runs by Marshawn, but not a lot of opportunity for Rodgers to show off his greatness. I was so looking forward to watching him throw to Desean in 2005.
Oski87
Both of them will be hall of fame QBs. Goff has a fantastic long ball, sees the field remarkably well and is in a great system. He will have a very long and illustrious career.
calumnus
Oski87 said:

Both of them will be hall of fame QBs. Goff has a fantastic long ball, sees the field remarkably well and is in a great system. He will have a very long and illustrious career.

Goff will have the advantage of doing it LA, versus northern Wisconsin.
Yogi58
Neither, I root for Cal, not Cal players in the NFL. If Cal players want my fanhood, they should join the team I root for.
touchdownbears43
Rodgers and it's not even close. Goff
bluehenbear
I saw all the home games when Rodgers was Cal QB.
I was at LA Coliseum and watched him complete an insane number of completions in a row.

He is an amazing talent and he's still performing magic with his arm.
B.A. Bearacus
Big C
an ingenious tactic to rack up the blue stars... chicks galore for BABs, no doubt
ColoradoBear
Easy one - Rodgers. 2004 was a great year that ended with a kick in the nuts. We all know Aaron is still salty about that Mack Brown fool. And the 49er skipping over him draft debacle. The throwing 'on the shelf ' BS. And Favre's repeated unretirements. Now potentially the best ever? Come on, you all going to hate due to two words (Butte College)? Please!

Not going to lie, the Dykes' era was horrible for Cal. I have more connection to the holmoe teams even. The energy at CMS has been pretty garbage since the remodel, with the exception of maybe the UCLA game in 2012.

Beating Texas in Austin was great though.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.