Our time with gracious fans in Provo

7,591 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NeverOddOrEven
SBGold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got in Friday night and we were hundry driving from the airport to our hotel in Provo (probably should have stayed in SLC instead). Happy to find an In n Out, all good.

Next morning hotel has Fox News on at complimentary breakfast area, bummer but to be expected. Did seem like people came in for the game to root for the Cougars.

Decided to go to Park City on Saturday as advice given to us was that or Snowbird for Oktoberfest. We had kids and I was driving so no to that. Utah Olympic Village was a good time and had lots of zip lines and ropes courses for kids and adults. Park City was nice to stroll in and got decent Mexican food, somewhat a surprise.
I was thankful to find a Starbucks in PC, I didn't find any coffee in Provo and most of the until we got to PC. Mormons don't drink coffee! Many Cal fans in PC on Saturday as well.

Got back for the game. We promised the kids ice cream in PC but didn't find any so parked car in a residential area close to stadium and walked to Dairy Queen. People were very friendly and welcoming, it became almost exhausting having conversations with several different people.

In stadium more friendliness and a couple times asked if our kids wanted a picture with a cut out of the BYU qb and hold the BYU helmet. My kids were like no, that is the opponent. I joked that if it was the Cal helmet and an then maybe. They seemed a bit hurt but understood.

At game got ice cream. Just before the game starts a guy in BYU gear comes up to my girls, 6 and 11, and asks if my girls would like a flag. My wife was there, I missed this. She said that's okay, thanks for the offer. He then unfurls a big Cal Oski flag and the girls go nuts. They come to me with the flag and then I get the story. Unbelievable touching and grateful to BYU fans. We are a mixed race family and felt we stood out in Provo, but had a great time. I'll root for BYU much more in the future
westcoast101
I've been to Utah a few times for vacation, but this was my first time going to a BYU game. I echo many of your sentiments regarding the fans. Really nice people all around, and some seemed genuinely surprised that folks from the Bay Area (like myself) traveled all the way out there for the game. I don't know how much it came across on TV, but especially during the first half, that stadium was extremely loud. I doubt we will play out there again in the near future, but I would definitely recommend checking out a game in Provo.
Big C
The LDS church sees all its members as being representatives and even unofficial recruiters for their faith. This is fine with me; I will gladly take "nice". Much better than the alternative.
SBGold
For sure. We went to Temple Square on Sunday (per the recommendation of a BYU fan we met at the game and conversed with, 1 of many). Did anyone go there? That was something different, and to tie it to Cal they had a nice video section of major temples in the U.S. including the Oakland temple. I watched that video and it prominently displayed the Tom Holmoe story of his playing career, his marriage and conversion to the faith. Very interesting watch.

We watched a Tabernacle rehearsal performance at Trmple Square, that was worth doing as well before the flight home.
FuzzyWuzzy
SBGold said:

For sure. We went to Temple Square on Sunday (per the recommendation of a BYU fan we met at the game and conversed with, 1 of many). Did anyone go there? That was something different, and to tie it to Cal they had a nice video section of major temples in the U.S. including the Oakland temple. I watched that video and it prominently displayed the Tom Holmoe story of his playing career, his marriage and conversion to the faith. Very interesting watch.

We watched a Tabernacle rehearsal performance at Trmple Square, that was worth doing as well before the flight home.

Wow, he's a convert? Didn't know that.

Ty Detmer is from Texas and attended BYU, also converted.

They never got Jim McMahon.
NeverOddOrEven
Also had a similar experience. Engaged after the game by several BYU fans who graciously congratulated us on victory, discussed the future of both teams, lamented their performance, and expressed that they would root for us going forward.
Blueblood

I tell you, Bob, there's something
wrong with these Cal fans. I
said, "Give me all your money!"
And, they said, "You BYU cheerleders
wear nice costumes. Say, you
wouldn't know where there's a
Starbucks?"
OdontoBear66
Sounds like the positive reviews of how surprisingly nice the Provo crowd was indicates maybe Cal fans need to get out around America a bit more to experience a lot of misconceptions. Hmmnn
GivemTheAxe
OdontoBear66 said:

Sounds like the positive reviews of how surprisingly nice the Provo crowd was indicates maybe Cal fans need to get out around America a bit more to experience a lot of misconceptions. Hmmnn

IMO that works both ways.
Did you ever notice how many fans of other schools posted on this Board compliments and thanks to Cal fans for being surprisingly gracious.
Could it be that many of us (I.e. Humans not just Cal fans) are surprised by how nice strangers from other cultures and locations can be.
That says a lot about human nature. (Any parent will tell you that our babies quickly learn "stranger= danger".)
Blueblood
GivemTheAxe said:

OdontoBear66 said:

IMO that works both ways.
Did you ever notice how many fans of other schools posted on this Board compliments and thanks to Cal fans for being surprisingly gracious.
Could it be that many of us (I.e. Humans not just Cal fans) are surprised by how nice strangers from other cultures and locations can be.
That says a lot about human nature. (Any parent will tell you that our babies quickly learn "stranger= danger".)

"We Berkeleyans don't want to be strangers!
We pose no danger to you in Provo; we're nice!"
wifeisafurd
SBGold said:

Got in Friday night and we were hundry driving from the airport to our hotel in Provo (probably should have stayed in SLC instead). Happy to find an In n Out, all good.

Next morning hotel has Fox News on at complimentary breakfast area, bummer but to be expected. Did seem like people came in for the game to root for the Cougars.

Decided to go to Park City on Saturday as advice given to us was that or Snowbird for Oktoberfest. We had kids and I was driving so no to that. Utah Olympic Village was a good time and had lots of zip lines and ropes courses for kids and adults. Park City was nice to stroll in and got decent Mexican food, somewhat a surprise.
I was thankful to find a Starbucks in PC, I didn't find any coffee in Provo and most of the until we got to PC. Mormons don't drink coffee! Many Cal fans in PC on Saturday as well.

Got back for the game. We promised the kids ice cream in PC but didn't find any so parked car in a residential area close to stadium and walked to Dairy Queen. People were very friendly and welcoming, it became almost exhausting having conversations with several different people.

In stadium more friendliness and a couple times asked if our kids wanted a picture with a cut out of the BYU qb and hold the BYU helmet. My kids were like no, that is the opponent. I joked that if it was the Cal helmet and an then maybe. They seemed a bit hurt but understood.

At game got ice cream. Just before the game starts a guy in BYU gear comes up to my girls, 6 and 11, and asks if my girls would like a flag. My wife was there, I missed this. She said that's okay, thanks for the offer. He then unfurls a big Cal Oski flag and the girls go nuts. They come to me with the flag and then I get the story. Unbelievable touching and grateful to BYU fans. We are a mixed race family and felt we stood out in Provo, but had a great time. I'll root for BYU much more in the future
You didn't find ice cream in Park City? Main Street has about 5 places, there is Cold Stone for Cal fans (what they serve at Memorial Stadium Clubs) down at Kimball Junction, a couple more family places in Prospector and places near the ski resort bases. As has been reported, ice cream is a huge deal everywhere in Utah.

A couple things about Utah/LDS:

1) Very little LDS presence in former mining towns, as the Mormons opposed mineral extraction in the old days. Most of the ski resorts (e.g., Park City, Alta/Snowbird, Solitude) are in old mining towns.

2) The whole caffeine thing with LDS is evolving. Originally caffeine was a no-no. Then the Church issued some proclamation that cold caffeine drinks were okay. But then you go to the Salt Lake areas and the Starbucks are jammed, so among up younger or less observant LDS it doesn't seem to be an issue. Provo would be an area that is much more observant than most areas of Northern Utah. That said, there are Starbucks hidden in Provo.
wifeisafurd
Bobodeluxe said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Wow. Talk about a prejudiced comment. Do all conservatives have such simple views of human nature?
I just don't think it is the conservatives. People on this board are full of preconceptions. Salt Lake City's Council is Democrat controlled, the major is gay, and half the council is openly LGBT. Does that fit everyone's perception of Utah's capital? There have been plenty of nasty comments about Utah on this board. Like most places Utah has some contrasts. In Southern Utah you have some militia/polygamous types (btw, rural California has its share of militia types) and then the big population center of Saint George, which seems to be comprised mostly of Bay Area retirees for some reason I have yet to figure out. You just can't make blanket statements. And let's start with Cal fans. We are all are not the same, and yet we travel to red and blue states and have good times. Part of the fun is going to away games and seeing different areas like Austin, North Carolina, Tennessee, Chicago, Utah etc, and meet the locals and have a great time.

Big Edit: just don't hink it is only the conservatives. Should have proof read better.
SBGold
Yeah, we were in a rush to get back from PC so didn't look that closely for ice cream. I will not do Cold Stone for ice cream, not up to my bar for sure.

We were in Myanmar earlier this year and I swear it was easier to find coffee there than in Provo.

Utah was great, hope to visit again a few more times.
SBGold
I figured that we would have a fun, family friendly atmosphere going to BYU. Hell, we met one of our LDS friends for brunch in Orem, so we weren't naive about it all.

I was very surprised (pleasantly) that a BYU fan graciously brought a big Cal Oski flag to the game and gave it to my kids, I've definitely not had that happen at any other away game I have gone to (Tenn, Texas, Udub to name a few).

And the free ice cream in the stands was great also. Does BYU really have its own creamery?
wifeisafurd
SBGold said:

I figured that we would have a fun, family friendly atmosphere going to BYU. Hell, we met one of our LDS friends for brunch in Orem, so we weren't naive about it all.

I was very surprised (pleasantly) that a BYU fan graciously brought a big Cal Oski flag to the game and gave it to my kids, I've definitely not had that happen at any other away game I have gone to (Tenn, Texas, Udub to name a few).

And the free ice cream in the stands was great also. Does BYU really have its own creamery?
Lot of the ice cream is local. When you go down the 15 there are a lot of dairy farms and lot of local creameries. Same thing for beer. Lot of brew pubs and local beers (some with interesting names). Would not be surprised if BYU had its own farm and creamery. Best profession in Utah: dentist.
OdontoBear66
Bobodeluxe said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Wow. Talk about a prejudiced comment. Do all conservatives have such simple views of human nature?
Huh? Just responding to what sounded like a lot of misconceptions that members of this board have prior to engaging. That's real prejudiced I guess.
MSaviolives
OdontoBear66 said:

Bobodeluxe said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Huh? Just responding to what sounded like a lot of misconceptions that members of this board have prior to engaging. That's real prejudiced I guess.
So what misconceptions would those be--apparently there being "a lot" of them? You suggested that "Cal fans need to get around America a bit more" based on what a few people said about enjoying the kindness of the BYU fans. What misconceptions would be behind those posts?

[By the way, I didn't notice anybody expressing surprise, other than one poster being surprised that BYU fans offered an Oski flag to his daughter.]
Sebastabear
We visited Rockwell Ice Cream in Provo. It was mind-blowingly good. Easily stacks up against some of the best I've ever had.
OldenBear
wifeisafurd said:

Bobodeluxe said:

OdontoBear66 said:

I just don't think it is the conservatives. People on this board are full of preconceptions. Salt Lake City's Council is Democrat controlled, the major is gay, and half the council is openly LGBT. Does that fit everyone's perception of Utah's capital? There have been plenty of nasty comments about Utah on this board. Like most places Utah has some contrasts. In Southern Utah you have some militia/polygamous types (btw, rural California has its share of militia types) and then the big population center of Saint George, which seems to be comprised mostly of Bay Area retirees for some reason I have yet to figure out. You just can't make blanket statements. And let's start with Cal fans. We are all are not the same, and yet we travel to red and blue states and have good times. Part of the fun is going to away games and seeing different areas like Austin, North Carolina, Tennessee, Chicago, Utah etc, and meet the locals and have a great time.

Big Edit: just don't hink it is only the conservatives. Should have proof read better.
EVERYONE has preconceptions .... and prejudices. The trick is to realize that about yourself, and not let it dominate your thinking or actions.

(unless, of course, it's about the Furd....)
Big C
Sebastabear said:

We visited Rockwell Ice Cream in Provo. It was mind-blowingly good. Easily stacks up against some of the best I've ever had.
Was it "high end' ice cream, or reasonably priced, but just good. Flavors?

Not trying to hijack this thread -- okay, maybe just a tad -- I am becoming increasingly frustrated buying ice cream in Safeway, at the selection of flavors: Twenty different brands (low end to high end), but with a repetitive selection of flavors. How many different varieties of vanilla does anyone possibly need? It's freaking vanilla! I don't like ground up candy bars mixed into my ice cream (why I don't like coldstone). Breyers used to have a peach ice cream that was great, but now I never see it. Every Ben and Jerry's flavor has a cutesy name, but I don't feel like eating a single one.

Where is a good coconut-pineapple like I used to get at the small place near my house, back in the 20th century?

Seems like somebody could make a killing, filling this niche of actually offering some GOOD ice cream flavors.
Sebastabear
Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Was it "high end' ice cream, or reasonably priced, but just good. Flavors?

Not trying to hijack this thread -- okay, maybe just a tad -- I am becoming increasingly frustrated buying ice cream in Safeway, at the selection of flavors: Twenty different brands (low end to high end), but with a repetitive selection of flavors. How many different varieties of vanilla does anyone possibly need? It's freaking vanilla! I don't like ground up candy bars mixed into my ice cream (why I don't like coldstone). Breyers used to have a peach ice cream that was great, but now I never see it. Every Ben and Jerry's flavor has a cutesy name, but I don't feel like eating a single one.

Where is a good coconut-pineapple like I used to get at the small place near my house, back in the 20th century?

Seems like somebody could make a killing, filling this niche of actually offering some GOOD ice cream flavors.
Pretty good selection with a lot of varieties, but I'm really talking about the quality. I usually try to get straight chocolate as a base line to compare across manufacturers. Rockwell had super high cream content (more like a gelato) but also excellent flavoring. Had the mint chip as well which was insane. Clearly made with natural mint. Ok, I'm going to stop as this is making me hungry.
ducky23
OdontoBear66 said:

Bobodeluxe said:

OdontoBear66 said:

I'm just speaking for myself. But I wasn't surprised by the people in Provo. At all.

I mean, were we all supposed to be shocked that a bunch of very religious, very sober group of people were nice?
Golden One
OdontoBear66 said:

Very true! It's hard to let go of long-held stereotypes passed on through the generations.
calfan2010
I would have agreed with you looking ahead to the game that I would assume based on stereotypes that the BYU fans would be friendly and kind. But then several colleagues and'/or acquaintances here in Boise warned me that BYU fans can be really nasty. Not that they are mean people in general but that they take their football very seriously and are nasty to opposing fans. We did not experience that at all. Like others, we were engaged in conversation by several BYU fans who were welcoming and gracious. Others would say something welcoming as we passed on the way to the restroom, etc. And the free ice cream was very surprising (but a nice surprise)! All in all, I thought the atmosphere at BYU was one of the best I have experienced at an away game. The stadium was packed, the BYU fans were loud, engaged and enthusiastic, and it was a super fun experience (helped, of course, by the Cal victory).
Big C
Anybody know what the ambiance is like when they host Utah? A former BYU colleague of mine -- nice lady -- used to casually and consistently refer to them (Utes) as "the devil".
ducky23
I'd imagine that like with any rivalry, things change when it comes to teams like Boise state and Utah.

Based on my few conversations with BYU fans, they are still extremely bitter that utah was invited to the Pac-12 and they weren't. That only increases the degree of animosity they feel towards their rival.
Sebastabear
ducky23 said:

I'd imagine that like with any rivalry, things change when it comes to teams like Boise state and Utah.

Based on my few conversations with BYU fans, they are still extremely bitter that utah was invited to the Pac-12 and they weren't. That only increases the degree of animosity they feel towards their rival.
Yes, and they partially blame us for that. They say the Cal administration was one of the ones that opposed their entry. Honestly though, if you can't play any sport on Sunday it's tough to see how this could have worked.
Another Bear
Jack Mormons can be pretty fun in the vice department. The few I know gamble, curse, drink and have high roller status in Vegas yet generally they're still very nice. Heck I even know one or two who cheated on their wives (but repented). Like most religion, it's mostly the hypercritical and nonsensical stuff that tints the lens. They're just not equipped with the culture of humor of other religions to deal with it (yes, you Catholics and Jews)...but they seem to be very good sports, most of the time.

Use to go to Southern Utah (Bryce, Canyonlands, etc) a lot. The only thing I worried about is going over the speed limit. If you have an out of state plate, and you're 2 miles over...you will be stopped.

Any way, Utah has progressed due to a diversified economy. Still it is a little odd sometimes...but sometimes I say the same about OC.
YamhillBear
Sebastabear said:

Honestly though, if you can't play any sport on Sunday it's tough to see how this could have worked.
On a related note, something I was thinking about before the game: wasn't the start time in Provo 8:30 pm (local)? That would mean it would've been pretty easy for the game to go past midnight. Wonder if there was any provision for that in the contract or otherwise ... if the game went past midnight, would it be postponed? Would it be a forfeit? Would BYU have played on?
Blueblood
YamhillBear said:

Sebastabear said:

Honestly though, if you can't play any sport on Sunday it's tough to see how this could have worked.
On a related note, something I was thinking about before the game: wasn't the start time in Provo 8:30 pm (local)? That would mean it would've been pretty easy for the game to go past midnight. Wonder if there was any provision for that in the contract or otherwise ... if the game went past midnight, would it be postponed? Would it be a forfeit? Would BYU have played on?

"The latest orders from the Planet Kolob is that
if the game nears midnight and BYU is ahead,
we end the game at the stroke of 12!"
Big C
YamhillBear said:

Sebastabear said:

The first time a game threatened to go past midnight, the angle Moroni suddenly revealed that the only stipulation is that the opening kickoff (Saturdays) must occur at least three hours before midnight.

(My Mormon friends know that it is with some respect and fondness that I kid.)
wifeisafurd
OldenBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Bobodeluxe said:

OdontoBear66 said:

EVERYONE has preconceptions .... and prejudices. The trick is to realize that about yourself, and not let it dominate your thinking or actions.

(unless, of course, it's about the Furd....)
Well said, though about the Furd, I have to tread carefully.
wifeisafurd
Sebastabear said:

ducky23 said:

Yes, and they partially blame us for that. They say the Cal administration was one of the ones that opposed their entry. Honestly though, if you can't play any sport on Sunday it's tough to see how this could have worked.
BYU is a good opponent, but I don't see how it works within the Pac framework and TV contacts. You really need new state schools to expand (this is a long discussion).
wifeisafurd
ducky23 said:

They were bitter rivals before Utah joined the Pac, and now Utah has used to the Pac as the reason for dropping rivalry games in football and basketball (Larry K. has said BYU tries to injure Utah players). When BYU played San Jose the same time Utah played Cal, we (being mostly some really large Cal fans) had to physically separate BYU and Utah fans at one of the gates at the Oakland Airport. For two "nice" fan bases, it was not family friendly banter.
NeverOddOrEven
OdontoBear66 said:

Bobodeluxe said:

OdontoBear66 said:

What misconceptions other than your misconception of what "members of this board" have been saying? Crazy how you can get there from what I said for sure.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.