Our time with gracious fans in Provo

7,598 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NeverOddOrEven
NeverOddOrEven
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Sounds like the positive reviews of how surprisingly nice the Provo crowd was indicates maybe Cal fans need to get out around America a bit more to experience a lot of misconceptions. Hmmnn
Very true! It's hard to let go of long-held stereotypes passed on through the generations.

What stereotypes?? Where is all this coming from? Sheesh.
wifeisafurd
NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Sounds like the positive reviews of how surprisingly nice the Provo crowd was indicates maybe Cal fans need to get out around America a bit more to experience a lot of misconceptions. Hmmnn
Very true! It's hard to let go of long-held stereotypes passed on through the generations.

Just some examples by some well known posters on this board in the just the last year:

Home of secretive, semi-illegal religion.

Look out for the Stepford wives in Utah

I'd jump off a bridge before I lived in Utah

I would go to Utah so I can send messages to other planets

I would live in any other state but Utah because [polygamy, racist, etc.]

NeverOddOrEven
wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Just some examples by some well known posters on this board in the just the last year:

Did I make such comments? Were such comments made in this thread?
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
You ************* ********. Now I must go on an epic midnight ice cream run.
oski003
NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Is this a new thing where all threads must exist in their own bubble? As for my take, many posters on this board have expressed stereotypical and negative viewpoints towards the "unenlightened."
NeverOddOrEven
oski003 said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Is this a new thing where all threads must exist in their own bubble? As for my take, many posters on this board have expressed stereotypical and negative viewpoints towards the "unenlightened."

Why do I always feel like I've wandered into an asylum when I post on Growls?

Here's literally what happened:

Me: I really appreciated our visit to Provo because the fans were so nice

Others: All of you people need to get out more, as you are clearly prejudiced against Mormons/people from Utah.

Me: Say wha?

I could have, and I have, literally said this about visits to Corvallis, Columbus, and previous games in Salt Lake City.
oski003
NeverOddOrEven said:

oski003 said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Others: All of you people need to get out more, as you are clearly prejudiced against Mormons/people from Utah.

I could have, and I have, literally said this about visits to Corvallis, Columbus, and previous games in Salt Lake City.

There was nothing wrong with your initial post. Problems arose when the pitchforks came out because someone replied to your post with a post that triggered a few posters.
wifeisafurd
NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

This was made in the context of the thread, and not aimed at you specilfically. There were posts about preconceptions, and people with particular views (the getting very old conservative vs liberal thing). You wanted to know where all this was coming from - there are have been repeated knocks against Utah full of stereotypes on this board, and then people are surprised that the locals are "nice" and they had a good time. Wait until we go very red Ole Miss and have a blast in The Grove. Some people on this board just can't seem to understand that (1) the Cal fan base is diverse and not that judgmental, and (2) not everything revolves around politics.
wifeisafurd
oski003 said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

oski003 said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

There was nothing wrong with your initial post. Problems arose when the pitchforks came out because someone replied to your post with a post that triggered a few posters.
This. It is like everything comes down to left vs. right politics on this board.
Fyght4Cal
NeverOddOrEven said:

oski003 said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

No good post goes unpunished.

BTW, I'll take even. It balances out my personality.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Blueblood

"No, you got us all wrong! We like people
like you from Utah. You see, we're from the
Planet Kolob too!"
ducky23
wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

This was made in the context of the thread, and not aimed at you specilfically. There were posts about preconceptions, and people with particular views (the getting very old conservative vs liberal thing). You wanted to know where all this was coming from - there are have been repeated knocks against Utah full of stereotypes on this board, and then people are surprised that the locals are "nice" and they had a good time. Wait until we go very red Ole Miss and have a blast in The Grove. Some people on this board just can't seem to understand that (1) the Cal fan base is diverse and not that judgmental, and (2) not everything revolves around politics.

I read thru this thread again. I saw many people commenting that people were nice. I didn't see a single person say or imply that they were surprised or that they had some preconceived notion that people in Utah were the devil.

In fact, left v right wasn't even brought up in this thread until odontobear at post #8. I'd invite you to re read the thread if you don't believe me.
Big C
ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

I read thru this thread again. I saw many people commenting that people were nice. I didn't see a single person say or imply that they were surprised or that they had some preconceived notion that people in Utah were the devil.
For the record, I wrote that I had heard a BYU grad refer to Utah Utes as the devil.
KenBurnski
wifeisafurd said:

oski003 said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

oski003 said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

This. It is like everything comes down to left vs. right politics on this board.

The fact is that it's the same 5 wonks that need to insert their political view into every single thread. The majority on this board can keep it in their pants.
Blueblood
KenBurnski said:

wifeisafurd said:

oski003 said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

oski003 said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

The fact is that it's the same 5 wonks that need to insert their political view into every single thread. The majority on this board can keep it in their pants.
I'm sure glad KenButtinski isn't a "wonk!"

Another Bear
KenBurnski said:

wifeisafurd said:

oski003 said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

oski003 said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Big boys know when to keep in their pants. They also know to keep political stuff in OT. It's not complicated. If you don't want to read political crap, don't look in OT, or use some restraint. It's not that difficult.
CyBear77
I went to the creamery on campus...they make pretty good ice cream...it was uphill from the stadium and kind of hidden away, not much signage.
In our section, (121) they even gave out free ice cream...about two crates worth!!!

I agree that everyone I ran into on campus pregame was very friendly and surprised that I came out from Cali for the game...

There is some good coffee in Provo,...I found a little place south of downtown on Google maps/
And SLC has some great coffee, you just have to go to the right area. Google it next time...

Also had some GREAT fruit from a place just a couple blocks north of the stadium...$6.00 for a bag of apples, nectarines and peaches that were tree ripened and fantastically sweet...

wifeisafurd
ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

In fact, left v right wasn't even brought up in this thread until odontobear at post #8. I'd invite you to re read the thread if you don't believe me.
If this is aimed at me, I do believe you. Then starting at post 8 it got into the usual shouting match.
NeverOddOrEven
ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

wifeisafurd said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

Golden One said:

OdontoBear66 said:

This. It wasn't that I thought this stuff was aimed at me, but that the thread was so innocuous and positive. The negativity is what kills me. The third time this week I've been involved in something completely positive, that has been turned political and completely negative as a result.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.