No HD for the Idaho State game.

2,867 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AuBear81
staygolden2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It looks like we are on the Pac-12 network Bay Area channel (433), which for some reason I don't get.
It will be replayed on 823 in HD though.
KoreAmBear
Yep smh alerted us to that last week. I guess you'll just have to see it in ultra HD IRL.
smh
yepper, read about this a few days ago:
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/81666

headsup though, the HD 3am replay is a sliced and diced 2hr production

signed, Booth Lives

/**** younger / faster / smarter KAB's notice gets there first by minutes.. darn!
ps: keep a Her-ricane Olivia poncho handy ****/

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
B.A. Bearacus
KoreAmBear said:

Yep smh alerted us to that last week. I guess you'll just have to see it in ultra HD IRL.

KAB don't suffer those who can Uber to a game and don't go.
KoreAmBear
smh said:

yepper, read about this a few days ago:
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/81666

headsup though, the HD 3am replay is a sliced and diced 2hr production

signed, Booth Lives

/**** younger / faster / smarter KAB's notice gets there first by minutes.. darn!
ps: keep a Her-ricane Olivia poncho handy ****/

Thanks for your concern. Looks like Oahu will survive another hurricane threat relatively unscathed. We'll see about Maui.
Cal Strong!
staygolden2001 said:

It looks like we are on the other Pac-12 network channel (433), which for some reason I don't get.
It will be replayed on 823 in HD though.

Cal Strong watch streamed game on smudged laptop screen from Egypt on weak wifi -- unless of course Wife Strong is giving birth.

Toughen up your thinking staygolden2001. Be more like Cal . . . less like weak HD addict.

Cal not weak. Cal not HD addict. Cal STRONG!
6164bear
This is strange. My cable company has the game scheduled at 3 saturday in HD, pac12 network, PACBA version. We get two different pac12 channels, one called pac12 (which is showing san jose state/oregon and eastern washington/washington state at the same time as the Cal game, also in HD.
Cal88
Are there still quality/reliable VLC streams available for the P12 channels or were those definitely shut down?

Does the P12 offer a reliable legal streaming option, that's also accessible for those traveling abroad?
BearBones
The DISH channel guide lists the Cal-Idaho game broadcasting live in HD on channel 593.
Sebastabear
So Colorado or someone who remembers this more clearly should probably clarify what is happening, but here's my recollection. Until a few years ago Comcast had two Pac-12 HD channels they broadcast in the Bay Area. One was the local Bay Area feed (focusing on Cal and Stanford) and one was the feed for the entire Pac. There was a lot of overlap in programming (Pac-12 final score, etc.) but they were separate. Comcast then dumped the HD version of the local Bay Area feed and moved that to SD. So now all they have in HD is the channel for the entire Pac - basically the same thing you'd see in LA or Arizona or wherever.

So it's not surprising that Dish (for example) still has the local Bay Area Pac-12 feed, but Comcast does not. Believe those of us living here are stuck with SD for that.

So normally here I'd note that you should just go to the games if you live in the Bay Area and then you won't have any problems, but that's not entirely right. Personally I go to the game and then also rewatch the broadcast - imagine a number of others do the same. So this is kind of a bummer. Adding this to the list of things I hate about our current TV contract.
ColoradoBear
Sebastabear said:

So Colorado or someone who remembers this more clearly should probably clarify what is happening, but here's my recollection. Until a few years ago Comcast had two Pac-12 HD channels they broadcast in the Bay Area. One was the local Bay Area feed (focusing on Cal and Stanford) and one was the feed for the entire Pac. There was a lot of overlap in programming (Pac-12 final score, etc.) but they were separate. Comcast then dumped the HD version of the local Bay Area feed and moved that to SD. So now all they have in HD is the channel for the entire Pac - basically the same thing you'd see in LA or Arizona or wherever.

So it's not surprising that Dish (for example) still has the local Bay Area Pac-12 feed, but Comcast does not. Believe those of us living here are stuck with SD for that.

So normally here I'd note that you should just go to the games if you live in the Bay Area and then you won't have any problems, but that's not entirely right. Personally I go to the game and then also rewatch the broadcast - imagine a number of others do the same. So this is kind of a bummer. Adding this to the list of things I hate about our current TV contract.

Close, though the key point is that for most cable companies, carrying two full time HD networks for the Pac 12 was not really feasible. I know Comcast in CO did not. The problem before was that with the regional networks in HD, they basically all were the duplicating content for a lot of the day, but then every once in a while a 'big' national TV event would be pre-emptied for local non rev sports of the local variety. I'm pretty sure I lost my s@1* one day when I turned in to cable expecting an important game, but they were showing some local rebroadcast of some gymnastics event. It really made no sense if he goal was to create exposure for the p12 revenue sports with the intent of actually selling the content.

So it is actually good for us that the networks were switched as the regional stuff that no one watches is now a premium tier (aka the 9.95/mo sports pack or total all in package). Before one had to pony up for the sports pack to get the national channel.

Downside is that rare on over OOC scheduled days, some football gets pushed. (IMO having so many OOC games early is actually poor planning and they should be better spread out to gain TV slots).

sycasey
ColoradoBear said:

Sebastabear said:

Close, though the key point is that for most cable companies, carrying two full time HD networks for the Pac 12 was not really feasible. I know Comcast in CO did not. The problem before was that with the regional networks in HD, they basically all were the duplicating content for a lot of the day, but then every once in a while a 'big' national TV event would be pre-emptied for local non rev sports of the local variety. I'm pretty sure I lost my s@1* one day when I turned in to cable expecting an important game, but they were showing some local rebroadcast of some gymnastics event. It really made no sense if he goal was to create exposure for the p12 revenue sports with the intent of actually selling the content.

So it is actually good for us that the networks were switched as the regional stuff that no one watches is now a premium tier (aka the 9.95/mo sports pack or total all in package). Before one had to pony up for the sports pack to get the national channel.

Downside is that rare on over OOC scheduled days, some football gets pushed. (IMO having so many OOC games early is actually poor planning and they should be better spread out to gain TV slots).

Yes, this is correct. The problem became acute during the last Pac-12 Basketball Tournament, when the "National" Pac-12 channel was showing all games, but the local feeds were only showing games for the local teams. The other games were therefore not shown in HD, for companies that were only carrying the local channel in HD. Comcast switched them out after that, making the national Pac-12 Network the one in HD and the local channel SD only.

For the most part, this is the right call. It only becomes a problem when a bunch of games overlap like this, and usually the overlap happens for non-conference games against patsies like Idaho State. So you could argue the negative impact is minimized.

(I believe you can also see these games in HD if you watch the game online, using the Pac-12 Network website or app.)
azulviejo
I have DISH.
The menu is showing a HD option and an SD option.
I have it set to record, on the HD option, then, I can skip commercials for the first half or so.
staygolden2001
I should have added that I live in the North Bay and I use Comcast. It's strange because I get the Pac-12 network in HD and I live in the Bay Area but I don't get the Pac-12 Bay Area channel. ***?
AuBear81
staygolden2001 said:

I should have added that I live in the North Bay and I use Comcast. It's strange because I get the Pac-12 network in HD and I live in the Bay Area but I don't get the Pac-12 Bay Area channel. ***?
Same here. I'm on Xfinity north bay and it implies I don't have a subscription for Pac12BA, but Pac12 is fine. If you go to the Xfinity TV streaming site, it will stream the Pac12BA without issue.

I ended up with decent HD on the Pac12 Network website...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.