Game Day Prep - electric scooters in Berkeley?

3,451 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GoCal1
Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I usually walk up the hill from BART. If it's a nice day it's leisurely exercise and a nice trip to the familiar and the past. That said, sometimes I'm running late or don't wish to walk. The shuttle is okay but you miss some of the sights so to speak.

So are there scooters around downtown Berkeley, and anyone take one up the hill? How long did it take to get to Memorial? Any other info or reviews? I believe it's .15/min.
PTBear
I believe they are still not allowed in Berkeley. A couple months ago I used the Limebike service but even that is not supposed to be used in Berkeley. The closest would be the FordGoBikes which require you to park the bikes at one of their designated stations. There is one of these stations across the street from Strada on Bancroft and College
OdontoBear66
PTBear said:

I believe they are still not allowed in Berkeley. A couple months ago I used the Limebike service but even that is not supposed to be used in Berkeley. The closest would be the FordGoBikes which require you to park the bikes at one of their designated stations. There is one of these stations across the street from Strada on Bancroft and College
Not allowed in Berkeley? What is not allowed in Berkeley? Are the scooters a capitalist conspiracy? Why not in Berzerkeley?
Another Bear
I did some web surfing. Electric scooters aren't allow as Berkeley figures out how to regulate them. Lime and Bird are in Oakland but not Berkeley...but a company named Skip is in Berkeley, without permission. I'm guessing there's not a lot of them around.

Given what happened in SF, with high foot traffic, it makes sense to regulate. People were riding them on the sidewalk at 20 mph and leaving them everywhere, just tossed on the ground, literally everywhere. They're now starting to figure out how to make it work.

Interesting note for you transportation geeks. E-scooters are consider the last mile transit solution and studies show it can increase a persons ability to get to work on public transport by 50%. I get that, use to take BART to SF, get off at Montgomery and walk a mile near ATT/Phone Co Park. On foot that's 20+ mins. On bike it's 5-7 minutes. On scooter it should be faster. I would have used one in the morning. I would have used the Ford bikes too.
socaliganbear
Mind you, LimeBike is a SkyDeck company, started in Berkeley!
Another Bear
That makes sense. Marshawn Lynch was a sponsor or did some promos. Maybe he's connected.
HoopDreams
One thing a lot of people don't realize is how dangerous shooters are. A emergency room doctor said the number one reason people were in the emergency room was because of shooters, and that was before the rent-a-electric shooter was the thing

I've skated and used large wheel scooters extensively and the thought that all these 'amateurs' are using motorized scooters (sometimes for the first time) on sidewalks and streets sound like a bad combo.

A few problems with them to be aware of. A rock, uneven sidewalk, etc can easily create a problem as the wheels are small. You need to hit them at the right angle (or better yet) 'hop' over them. When you turn you have to be aware of surface and angle because a scooter can slide from under you.

When people fall they often go straight over the handle bars. I don't know what types of breaks these have, but they should have both a front wheel break and a back wheel break and they need to be used appropriately in the right situation.

People naturally stick out their hands to break their fall, and this is the number one injury (to hands, arms, including broken wrists. Instead you should tuck and roll or fall like a judo athlete. Neither are easy to do without practice and good technique
Another Bear
Indeed, one of the issues being discussed is how the helmet law applies. If taking a header on a bike can do great damage, a scooter going faster will do more.
TandemBear
HoopDreams said:

One thing a lot of people don't realize is how dangerous shooters are. A emergency room doctor said the number one reason people were in the emergency room was because of shooters, and that was before the rent-a-electric shooter was the thing

I've skated and used large wheel scooters extensively and the thought that all these 'amateurs' are using motorized scooters (sometimes for the first time) on sidewalks and streets sound like a bad combo.

A few problems with them to be aware of. A rock, uneven sidewalk, etc can easily create a problem as the wheels are small. You need to hit them at the right angle (or better yet) 'hop' over them. When you turn you have to be aware of surface and angle because a scooter can slide from under you.

When people fall they often go straight over the handle bars. I don't know what types of breaks these have, but they should have both a front wheel break and a back wheel break and they need to be used appropriately in the right situation.

People naturally stick out their hands to break their fall, and this is the number one injury (to hands, arms, including broken wrists. Instead you should tuck and roll or fall like a judo athlete. Neither are easy to do without practice and good technique
Shooters? WHERE??? Yes, shooters are dangerous and should be banned everywhere!

j/k

I think you're referring to the Razor scooters from the craze of 15 years ago. These popular kids scooters hit the market like fire. And you're right, they do have small wheels that can be caught up by sidewalk cracks, potholes, driveway transitions, etc. In fact, the CEO (or other top exec) of Walmart.com died on one as he flew down his driveway and into the path of a passing car.

I find it hilarious that Berkeley, of all cities, has prevented their implementation. They could have gotten their act together and welcomed them.

Anyway, the new electric scooters have significantly larger wheels. They're also pneumatic, and not hard plastic like in the Razors. I've found they handle sidewalks, driveways and some potholes without a problem. But you still have to avoid the big road hazards in your path.

That said, they still take skill and balance to ride. A spill on one could be disastrous. My son crashed on one turning through gravel while racing a friend. A short lesson in road rash for him!

I love these scooters. They're a great "last-mile" transportation solution. Far more efficient way to move an individual than an Uber or Lyft ride. And a whole lot of fun.

If they take hold (and they should), they have the potential to reduce congestion and pollution in urban areas. It would be nice if these new scooter riders could navigate bike lanes with a little better skill. But it will take some work and a little regulation to reduce the mayhem we've seen during their introduction. And stay off the sidewalks - or ride at a responsible speed and avoid conflict at the very least.
TandemBear
Another Bear said:

Indeed, one of the issues being discussed is how the helmet law applies. If taking a header on a bike can do great damage, a scooter going faster will do more.
Currently, helmets are required for everyone on electric scooters in California (and class 3 electric bikes). One of the companies is advocating that the helmet requirement for adults be repealed.

And these scooters top out at 20mph, so they aren't faster than bikes. They probably average a bit higher than the average casual rider, but don't reach the same top speeds as bikes.
going4roses
I agree they are dangerous. But I did ride one to and from the game. The convenience factor was a 10.

I definitely took it easy while riding the scooter. Unlike a lot of folks I see whizzing around.

I wondered about the injuries also
Another Bear
Your own scooter, or a Skip? I didn't see any public use/rentals downtown. I saw a few random riders (you?).

I think the convience going up the hill would be great, although I like to walk. Going back down the hill to BART, would be nice but I could see a cluster**** if there were a lot of scooters zipping down Bancroft at 20 mph+ after the game.
Another Bear
Good point bicycles can reach a higher top speed. I think the instant acceleration and speed in urban areas, and the relative lack of visibility, are some of the safety issues.
BearsWiin
BW recommends a full face coverage motocross helmet, not just a generic brainbucket, when riding scooters. Son of Bearswiin broke both front teeth on a motorized razor while wearing a pretty good brainbucket. $200 for the scooter, $3000 to rebuild his teeth.
HoopDreams
TandemBear said:

HoopDreams said:

I think you're referring to the Razor scooters from the craze of 15 years ago. These popular kids scooters hit the market like fire. And you're right, they do have small wheels that can be caught up by sidewalk cracks, potholes, driveway transitions, etc. In fact, the CEO (or other top exec) of Walmart.com died on one as he flew down his driveway and into the path of a passing car.

Anyway, the new electric scooters have significantly larger wheels. They're also pneumatic, and not hard plastic like in the Razors. I've found they handle sidewalks, driveways and some potholes without a problem. But you still have to avoid the big road hazards in your path.

That said, they still take skill and balance to ride. A spill on one could be disastrous. My son crashed on one turning through gravel while racing a friend. A short lesson in road rash for him!
The comment from the doctor was after the main razor craze, and I still see those around unfortunately.But I was still referring to 'large wheel' scooters (I've owned several costing up $200+). But you still need skill to ride them on streets around people and cars. Much less concern around open fairways like in the first part of this video. But watch some of the clips later and you can see some of the potential issues....

many places ban skateboards, yet most skateboarders are skilled and experienced, and most cities ban skateboarders on sidewalks.

For me, non-motorized scooters sounds like a good first experience for people. Going straight to a motorized scooter in traffic and on sidewalks sounds like a bad idea.If you want to try, go for it. Just take a while to get used to it and keep the speed down for awhile, and remember cars often don't see you or expect you.

https://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2018/07/09/electric-scooters-regulation-cities-dockless-sharing.cnnmoney/index.html
going4roses
Another Bear said:

Your own scooter, or a Skip? I didn't see any public use/rentals downtown. I saw a few random riders (you?).

I think the convience going up the hill would be great, although I like to walk. Going back down the hill to BART, would be nice but I could see a cluster**** if there were a lot of scooters zipping down Bancroft at 20 mph+ after the game.

Hilarious i was thinking of the cluster ____ also. I don't own , I rented a lime scooter in north oakland and cut through the residential area/ dead end streets of which course do not apply . It was actually fun , i had a biker ride past me and she asked "is it as fun as it looks" I replied yes as we both stopped at the next light she said she loved my smile and said I'd be a great spokesman for the company.
It is very convenient.

But when the rain comes I see trouble even if the scooters can operate in the rain.

Apparently I noticed I was not the only one who brought scooters up to CMS for the game. I was a bit surprised and relieved no one rented the one I rode up to CMS I parked by the round science building.
Another Bear
The cluster**** thing made me realize, that's why they have to be regulated somehow in Berkeley. Obviously they're banned on campus but imagine hundreds zooming around DT Berkeley or on Southside, in traffic and around crowds.

The fun factor only adds to the CF scenario. They are stupid instant fun, 20 mph with no effort standing up. Who doesn't like that?
HoopDreams
Another Bear said:

The cluster**** thing made me realize, that's why they have to be regulated somehow in Berkeley. Obviously they're banned on campus but imagine hundreds zooming around DT Berkeley or on Southside, in traffic and around crowds.

The fun factor only adds to the CF scenario. They are stupid instant fun, 20 mph with no effort standing up. Who doesn't like that?
we used to skate on the Cal campus very late night, and see how fast we could go. We don't really know, but we thought we could get up to 30+ mph downhill, and then jump ramps. of coarse, there were no people, no cars, and we used to walk the 'track' before attempting this
HoopDreams
I looked (will try it out sometime) one of the Lime scooters

Brake on the handle bar that activates the back wheel break. Also, back wheel has a cover designed for rider to manually break. This is very good.

But no front break so breaking when traveling fast is more difficult

Saw this article about increase in shooter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/business/economy/scooter-use-is-rising-in-major-cities-so-are-trips-to-the-emergency-room/2018/09/06/53d6a8d4-abd6-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html?noredirect=on
hanky1
Lol liberals and your regulations
TandemBear
I just picked up a Star pizza on a Lime scooter last night. Total laziness on my part. But it was fun to zip over, pick up the pizza, balance the pizza with my left hand, use throttle with my right hand. Who cares I couldn't actually reach the brake on the left side. That's what coasting is for! Living dangerously is my motto! (not really) Helmet? Nah! My two-block loop cost me $2 for my pizza run. (It's easy when the Lime is parked in front of your house!)

Anyway, it's a shame they aren't in Berkeley yet. Talk about an easy way to zip about. Just stay off the damn sidewalk!!!
HoopDreams
hanky1 said:

I didn't say anything about regulations.
I'm just saying that you need to ride scooters the right way.

but for you, please go ahead and just try it. I won't complain.
Another Bear
hanky1 said:

LOL...wing nuts and their Trump.
bearister
Another Bear said:

Also known as Social Darwinism, thinning the herd or tightening up the gene pool.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GoCal1
Saw someone last night after the game riding a motorized scooter. It even had running lights. Seemed somewhat safe to me. I can see where it would be useful in some situations getting to class or to the game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.