Random observations from Idaho State (mostly not game related)

9,640 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ddc_Cal
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To wit:

1. Have we ever had better weather in back to back games to start the season? If so I certainly can't remember when. Glorious. Tough to get weather (much less temperature) in a photo, so here's a picture from the concourse pre-game:

2. Attendance? Yeah that was not good. Here's a shot looking East in what I think was our high water mark for the game. Roughly right around half time.

3. And here's the same shot at the end of regulation. We were basically down to Fiatlux and I staring at each other across the field. It would have been awkward but as I was very enjoying the lack of lines in the Stadium Club to get booze everything was a bit blurry over there so I didn't feel self-conscious in the least.

4. Speaking of lack of attendance, where the hell were the seagulls? Didn't see a single one. Typically this would have been a perfect game for them to run in and steal some unsuspecting toddler's hot dog. Did we do something to drive them away? If so, that would be a shame. We used to take bets in the stands on whether they'd actually land on the field while the game was still going on. You kind of got a sense of the ratio of fans to discarded popcorn containers that would draw them in after awhile. I used to clean up on that one.
Sebastabear
5. Cal has opened up a new clothing store in the Field Club to sell limited edition items. It was not exactly overrun when I went down there. I wound up buying a shirt just because they seemed kind of desperate (when I asked them if this was a new permanent fixture in the Club the answer was something to the effect of "Depends if we make any sales"). Anyway, pretty nice shirt - hand finished cotton, pearl buttons and the logo on the collar. Have to work this into the rotation.

beeasyed
Sebastabear said:

5. Cal has opened up a new clothing store in the Field Club to sell limited edition items. It was not exactly overrun when I went down there. I wound up buying a shirt just because they seemed kind of desperate (when I asked them if this was a new permanent fixture in the Club the answer was something to the effect of "Depends if we make any sales"). Anyway, pretty nice shirt - hand finished cotton, pearl buttons and the logo on the collar. Have to work this into the rotation.

cool idea.. any hoodies & sweaters?
Sebastabear
6. As others have noted, lack of the cringy "cams" (smile cam, muscle cam, bear hug cam, etc.) was good. Addition by subtraction. But in its place they added some weird class games. They had the seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshman compete in a few contests, one of which was who could pull tissue paper out of a tissue box the fastest. I'm not joking. So we went from a game where we competed to recycle garbage the fastest to one where we see who could make garbage the fastest? Just weird - particularly for Berkeley of all place. And by the way, the Junior class clearly cheated there. There's no way that guy could have pulled the tissue out that fast unless he just shoved his hand through the top of the box and pulled out the entire roll. I think we needed a video review on that one.

Freshman won the three legged race though. They looked about a foot taller than the competitors from the other classes. We may be now admitting students based on height.
Sebastabear
beeasyed said:

Sebastabear said:

Lots and lots of vests. Reversible actually (one side white and one side blue). Looked pretty cool if you're into vests. Didn't see hoodies but to be honest I just kind of panicked and grabbed something to buy to escape the awkward puppy dog eyes they were making at my wallet. Have to browse more next time.
socaliganbear
Sebastabear said:

beeasyed said:

Sebastabear said:

Lots and lots of vests. Reversible actually (one side white and one side blue). Looked pretty cool if you're into vests. Didn't see hoodies but to be honest I just kind of panicked and grabbed something to buy to escape the awkward puppy dog eyes they were making at my wallet. Have to browse more next time.
Ha! Might have to check out the vests.
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

To wit:

Quote:

3. And here's the same shot at the end of regulation. We were basically down to Fiatlux and I staring at each other across the field. It would have been awkward but as I was very enjoying the lack of lines in the Stadium Club to get booze everything was a bit blurry over there so I didn't feel self-conscious in the least.

Not to get too creepy (too late) but you can (sort of) make me out in that shot staring back at you! I'm on the right aisle opposite main student section (in the band section) about 20 or so rows from the top... in gold shirt (you're welcome KoreAmBear!!) with three friends in blue shirts... we're all sitting (we're terrible fans). I am usually about row 25 on the aise right in the main section inline with the micman, but we sort of started wandering around to say hi to folks.

Your photo actually encourages me because i think that is as many students as I have seen for such a game, in a long time. That bodes well for the rest of the season.
pingpong2
Sebastabear said:

6. As others have noted, lack of the cringy "cams" (smile cam, muscle cam, bear hug cam, etc.) was good. Addition by subtraction. But in its place they added some weird class games. They had the seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshman compete in a few contests, one of which was who could pull tissue paper out of a tissue box the fastest. I'm not joking. So we went from a game where we competed to recycle garbage the fastest to one where we see who could make garbage the fastest? Just weird - particularly for Berkeley of all place. And by the way, the Junior class clearly cheated there. There's no way that guy could have pulled the tissue out that fast unless he just shoved his hand through the top of the box and pulled out the entire roll. I think we needed a video review on that one.

Freshman won the three legged race though. They looked about a foot taller than the competitors from the other classes. We may be now admitting students based on height.
It's not weird to have a race pulling tissues. Wiping away tears after getting reamed by a midterm is the quintessential Berkeley experience.
bearsahead2
Curiously where was the shop within Field Club. I recall hearing that there was to be one, but when I saw the shop outside near the entrance to FC, I assumed that was it. I like the shirt you purchased and didn't see anything like that in the outside shop. Was the FC shop up on the 2nd level? I'll have to look more closely at the next game.
Sebastabear
bearsahead2 said:

Curiously where was the shop within Field Club. I recall hearing that there was to be one, but when I saw the shop outside near the entrance to FC, I assumed that was it. I like the shirt you purchased and didn't see anything like that in the outside shop. Was the FC shop up on the 2nd level? I'll have to look more closely at the next game.
It was a kiosk to the immediate right of the entrance to the Stadium on the ground floor of the field club. But in your defense I asked one of the ushers where it was and she had no idea despite the fact she was in the same room.
Sebastabear
TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

To wit:

Quote:

Not to get too creepy (too late) but you can (sort of) make me out in that shot staring back at you! I'm on the right aisle opposite main student section (in the band section) about 20 or so rows from the top... in gold shirt (you're welcome KoreAmBear!!) with three friends in blue shirts... we're all sitting (we're terrible fans). I am usually about row 25 on the aise right in the main section inline with the micman, but we sort of started wandering around to say hi to folks.

Your photo actually encourages me because i think that is as many students as I have seen for such a game, in a long time. That bodes well for the rest of the season.

Ha. I played Where's Waldo for a while and then realized I was looking at the wrong picture. Doh! Anyway I definitely see you in this one. Good on you for staying to the end. Not of course that in your case that was ever much in doubt.
25To20
I found myself in that pic, too. I'm in the top row of section T on the aisle next to the student section. You can't see me too well because my girlfriend in a salmon colored top (She knows not to wear red, and I will eventually get her into blue and gold) is in the row in front of me using me as a backrest. By the way, it was my girlfriend's first ever college football game, and she totally enjoyed it. We did the full immersion deal, starting with the Sproul Plaza Cal Band percussion performance, through the rally, and then the march up campus. Watched the game, and then the Band's post game show.

I am impressed at the number of folks on Tightwad Hill. They could have actually gotten into the stadium for next to nothing. Of course, lighting up the joint would have been a little more difficult with all the enforcement against that sort of thing inside.

A couple of my observations... I only saw the card stunts on the end zone screens, but honestly they seemed a bit lame. Back in my day (I know, I know) we did great card stunts. The band does not march as well as I expected. Perhaps because it is early in the season, but both this game and UNC the lines were not as straight as usual. The Cal Band is still great and I love them, so consider that a nitpick.

Some of the mic-men's yells have a distinct high school sound to them. ("Defense Bears, Defense", "First and ten. Do it again. Go Bears.") Do they ever do the Cal Haka anymore, or is that politically incorrect these days? I also enjoyed Oski Wah Wah... back in the day, but perhaps that is too old fashioned for kids now.
UrsaMajor
I asked Jim Knowlton about the class rivalry; he noted that it was one of many things they were trying in order to increase student involvement. They will be evaluating these on a weekly basis to try and figure out which to keep.
Sebastabear
25To20 said:

I found myself in that pic, too. I'm in the top row of section T on the aisle next to the student section. You can't see me too well because my girlfriend in a salmon colored top (She knows not to wear red, and I will eventually get her into blue and gold) is in the row in front of me using me as a backrest. By the way, it was my girlfriend's first ever college football game, and she totally enjoyed it. We did the full immersion deal, starting with the Sproul Plaza Cal Band percussion performance, through the rally, and then the march up campus. Watched the game, and then the Band's post game show.

I am impressed at the number of folks on Tightwad Hill. They could have actually gotten into the stadium for next to nothing. Of course, lighting up the joint would have been a little more difficult with all the enforcement against that sort of thing inside.

A couple of my observations... I only saw the card stunts on the end zone screens, but honestly they seemed a bit lame. Back in my day (I know, I know) we did great card stunts. The band does not march as well as I expected. Perhaps because it is early in the season, but both this game and UNC the lines were not as straight as usual. The Cal Band is still great and I love them, so consider that a nitpick.

Some of the mic-men's yells have a distinct high school sound to them. ("Defense Bears, Defense", "First and ten. Do it again. Go Bears.") Do they ever do the Cal Haka anymore, or is that politically incorrect these days? I also enjoyed Oski Wah Wah... back in the day, but perhaps that is too old fashioned for kids now.
That's cool. Will have to snap more pics and post them of that side. Fun to see if people can see themselves. Might need a better camera for that. On the card stunts, yeah that wasn't our finest effort (although I could kind of make out the bear). Given the density of the student section pre-game I thought they might just bag the whole thing but more folks showed up. Good on them for giving it a try. Should be much better for Oregon.
Looperbear
I like that they are trying new things and getting rid of Bear Scream cam.

Yes, it was a beautiful day in the Canyon but I also was disappointed with turnout. 2-0 team, 3 pm start, great day. 3 pm is about my favorite time for kickoff.
For all those who complain about late start times, this is a good rebuttal along with higher TV ratings for late games.
bearister
Sebastabear said:

In the one surveillance photo I have of a clandestine meeting of the Illuminati they are all wearing that shirt.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
SFCityBear
Sebastabear said:

We might as well try admitting students based on height. We've tried nearly everything else. We already do admit a few students based on height, and they are called basketball recruits. If we admitted students based on height, we might be able to hold tryouts for the basketball team every year on campus, like we did back in the days when Cal basketball teams were competing for national championships. We used to get 60 students trying out for the Cal frosh team, and there were very few stiffs in there, if any.
glutton
Looperbear said:

Yes, it was a beautiful day in the Canyon but I also was disappointed with turnout. 2-0 team, 3 pm start, great day. 3 pm is about my favorite time for kickoff.
For all those who complain about late start times, this is a good rebuttal along with higher TV ratings for late games.
They still had the bear growl/scream contest at both games this year, but I thought this week's kids were reasonably good and not scream-like!
Having the students compete at pulling tissues out of a tissue box was incredibly lame and goes against the whole 'zero-waste' philosophy that Cal is supposedly trying to follow. Not sure who came up with that brilliant game.
My main disappointment with the changes at Memorial this year is that they appear to have gotten rid of my favorite food item from last year, the loaded tater tots. Those were new last year, somewhere around section H on the West side; I guess I should have kept my mouth shut instead of telling Cal that I liked them. :-(
SFCityBear
Looperbear said:

I don't think the old Blues like it as much. 1 PM is better for us. Weather was fine for the first half. By the start of the 4th quarter another old Blue and I had to put on our jackets, and with 8 minutes to go in the game, my friend said he was freezing, and we left. As the days get shorter, and PST kicks in, even on a nice day, it will be getting cold by 3PM. Fortunately as fans, we missed the last two Idaho TDs, and were able to retain our very good impression of the Cal team.

OldenBear
UrsaMajor said:

I asked Jim Knowlton about the class rivalry; he noted that it was one of many things they were trying in order to increase student involvement. They will be evaluating these on a weekly basis to try and figure out which to keep.
struck me as kind of high-school-ish. Get off my Lawn!
HighlandDutch
I think that tissues contest came out of a focus group the AD had, where participants were asked, "How can we make the gameday experience at Memorial Stadium more like a baby shower?" Next game, we might all have to bring gifts.
78GldnBear
Sebastabear said:

I recently had to get my license renewed, so I decided to get one of the Real ID license so I could use it to get through TSA checkpoint. When the license arrived (3 months later), by wife thought I had ordered a Cal personal license.
BearsWiin
TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

To wit:

Quote:

I'm just out of frame, about 65 miles to the right
Big C
SFCityBear said:

Looperbear said:

I don't think the old Blues like it as much. 1 PM is better for us. Weather was fine for the first half. By the start of the 4th quarter another old Blue and I had to put on our jackets, and with 8 minutes to go in the game, my friend said he was freezing, and we left. As the days get shorter, and PST kicks in, even on a nice day, it will be getting cold by 3PM. Fortunately as fans, we missed the last two Idaho TDs, and were able to retain our very good impression of the Cal team.

Middle-aged Blues LOVE the 3 PM: Gives us the option of a) possibly being able to go to kids' soccer game... b) getting a few chores done in the morning... or, c) just coming out early and getting really hammered before the game. It's like a no-lose situation! Plus, right at the end of the game: Dinner time!
bearister
78GldnBear said:

Sebastabear said:

I recently had to get my license renewed, so I decided to get one of the Real ID license so I could use it to get through TSA checkpoint. When the license arrived (3 months later), by wife thought I had ordered a Cal personal license.

That photo won't swipe right or left.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
Any pockets in the shirts? I stopped buying gear several years ago when the pockets dissapeared. radio, glasses, cell phone. need to wear a shirt with pockets to the games.
Go Bears!
Sebastabear
oskidunker said:

Any pockets in the shirts? I stopped buying gear several years ago when the pockets dissapeared. radio, glasses, cell phone. need to wear a shirt with pockets to the games.
Yeah that's a must have for me as well. They have a pocket.
golden sloth
SFCityBear said:

Looperbear said:

Seriously? I don't want to be negative, but this makes Old Blues sound really fickle and bad at forethought. Anyone who lives in the bay area should know it is all about layers and always bringing that jacket / sweatshirt, if that person doesn't that is on them. Furthermore, this pretty much means that any game in the second half of the season is too cold to go to, as 4:00 pm in September is equivalent to the temp at 2:00 pm in November.
Cal8285
BearsWiin said:

TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

To wit:

Quote:

So disappointed that you are out of the frame. I'm in pretty much the same spot where you saw me in the fetal position in 2003, as always sticking it out until the end. Sebastabear is wrong to suggest it was down to Fiatlux and him. There are a LOT more people in the area shown in the photo than there were at, say, the end of the SC game in 2001.
Sebastabear
Cal8285 said:

BearsWiin said:

TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

To wit:

Quote:

So disappointed that you are out of the frame. I'm in pretty much the same spot where you saw me in the fetal position in 2003, as always sticking it out until the end. Sebastabear is wrong to suggest it was down to Fiatlux and him. There are a LOT more people in the area shown in the photo than there were at, say, the end of the SC game in 2001.
I did say it was really blurry . . .
BearsWiin
Cal8285 said:

BearsWiin said:

TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

To wit:

Quote:

Over the years I've gotten a lot of storytime mileage out of your 2OT fetal position.

After ten years of season ticket holding, then six years of not, we purchased the Gold miniplan this year. I know I've changed, and the game has changed, but I'm just not really enjoying the gameday experience nearly as much as I used to. I suppose it'd be different if any of my kids enjoyed going to games, but they don't - I had to bribe them with bong purchases to get them to go to the UNC game. And, oddly, I kinda miss the homey decrepitude of the stadium pre-renovation.
bpear
I feel mildly blessed with a day game. The weather was great on the 15th, not too hot. The evening games really leave me cold, physically and emotionally. Games that end near midnight just don't cut it with me and my wife.

And, do not even start me on the floating TBD kick-off times that only get set a week or two before the game. It makes it impossible to schedule our activities. It is particularly hard on my kids and the grandkids to enjoy the Cal experience.
oskidunker
They have promised to stsrt games on time, not 15 minutes late. Give them 5 min. That was the case against Idaho State. If this was 1979, we would have thrown potatoes.
Go Bears!
TheFiatLux
bpear said:

I feel mildly blessed with a day game. The weather was great on the 15th, not too hot. The evening games really leave me cold, physically and emotionally. Games that end near midnight just don't cut it with me and my wife.

And, do not even start me on the floating TBD kick-off times that only get set a week or two before the game. It makes it impossible to schedule our activities. It is particularly hard on my kids and the grandkids to enjoy the Cal experience.
I realize I'm no longer young (well I am when I'm on this board... HEY!!!!), but I love night games. Maybe not every game... but i really like a full on night. Think the energy is totally different and i like having my whole day to do stuff. Either than or an early start and then I have my evening to do stuff or just head up Tahoe. I pretty much hate 3PM starts. We definitely prove the adage you can't please all the people all the time :-)
StillNoStanfurdium
25To20 said:

"Defense Bears, Defense" and "First and 10, do it again, Go Bears" have been around for at least the last 10 or more years or so. Definitely nothing truly recent.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.