Uh, oh!... We're Ranked!

8,122 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by okaydo
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://collegefootball.ap.org/salisburypost/poll
Go!Bears
NYCGOBEARS said:

https://collegefootball.ap.org/salisburypost/poll
i'm with you
510 Bear
***? I did not see this coming. And the Ducks move up while furd doesn't?

Maybe the voters are sending all of us a message: "Cal is v. capable of beating Oregon on Saturday."
calbearinamaze
I have a hard time celebrating....as in "Is this true or is it
some kind of computer glitch?"

Actually, it's such new territory...I don't know what the heck to do.
Please advise...
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
okaydo
Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo
510 Bear
BEARUPINDC said:

Please advise...
We join Duke and Kentucky in entering the AP top 25 for the first time in awhile (2015 for us and Duke, 2007 for UK)

The coaches poll disagrees big-time, "ranking" us #34!
RonO
I can't believe it, and maybe it's just my computer. However, in the second column where they have team logos, mine shows a question mark (?).
okaydo
ESPN just announced the big news...Athletic Director Barbour finally got College Gameday to come.
Sebastabear
Doom
TouchedTheAxeIn82
Fyght4Cal
Here's our chance to see if Wilcox and crew have succeeded in creating a new attitude, or whether we are the same old Cal. Can we defend our ranking and move up? Or will we wilt under the lights? I'm cautiously...cautious.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Cal Strong!
BEARUPINDC said:

Please advise...
Toughen up your thinking. Be more like Cal, less like someone who don't know what to do and who doesn't know how to properly format an ellipsis.

Cal not weak. Cal knows what to do. Cal knows how to properly format ellipses.

Cal STRONG!
Cal_79
okaydo said:

Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo

Sounds as if you're happier when Cal sucks...
okaydo
Cal_79 said:

okaydo said:

Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo

Sounds like I'm familiar with how Cal football deals with being ranked too early in the season.
Another Bear
Cal got ranked because BYU is ranked, and Cal beat BYU. Road win at BYU looks good at this point.

It's early so it's meaningless. Old Cal says to me...yeah we're EFed...but maybe this will be new Cal under Wilcox? I just wish we weren't facing Oregon but at least it's at home and at night. Pac-12 after dark can be crazy, and that gives Cal an edge.
irvinebear
Isn't the goal to be ranked???

Screw what has happened in the past, this is a new Cal team, with a new mindset and ability.

I'll take a top 25 ranking any day of the week.

Onward and upward.
Cal_79
okaydo said:

Cal_79 said:

okaydo said:

Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo

Sounds like I'm familiar with how Cal football deals with being ranked too early in the season.

If you desire for Cal to be good then better get used to Cal being ranked.
510 Bear
I agree with everyone downthread. Screw all this "Cal is a losing football team/program and is even more likely to lose if we're ranked so I don't want it" business (unless you're making these points in jest, of course).

It would be awesome if this gives the team a shot in the arm. Even better if it does so because of Wilcox, who seems quite sensible about stuff like this.

And even better if a post-victory locker room YouTube vid drops on Sunday in which someone yells, "#34 in the coaches poll? F THAT."
Arcadiabear
510 Bear said:

I agree with everyone downthread. Screw all this "Cal is a losing football team/program and is even more likely to lose if we're ranked so I don't want it" business (unless you're making these points in jest, of course).

It would be awesome if this gives the team a shot in the arm. Even better if it does so because of Wilcox, who seems quite sensible about stuff like this.

And even better if a post-victory locker room YouTube vid drops on Sunday in which someone yells, "#34 in the coaches poll? F THAT."
To add on to this sentiment, why would any Cal "fan" wish Cal NOT to be ranked. For us to achieve our ultimate goal (Rose Bowl/National Championship, depending on who you ask), we NEED to be ranked. Cal will never end up with those goals if we are not ranked.

It's a self tortuous cycle that old Cal fans go through to wish we'd fly "under the radar". I say screw all that! In the modern age, kids are watching ESPN sportscenter and highlights. They commit to programs like Oregon and Washington not only for the coaches, but also the brand they have built in the last few years.

For us to be successful, we have to think big time, and there is nothing bigger than being ranked.

Let's go bears! Beat the ducks
FloriDreaming
Arcadiabear said:

510 Bear said:

To add on to this sentiment, why would any Cal "fan" wish Cal NOT to be ranked. For us to achieve our ultimate goal (Rose Bowl/National Championship, depending on who you ask), we NEED to be ranked. Cal will never end up with those goals if we are not ranked.

It's a self tortuous cycle that old Cal fans go through to wish we'd fly "under the radar". I say screw all that! In the modern age, kids are watching ESPN sportscenter and highlights. They commit to programs like Oregon and Washington not only for the coaches, but also the brand they have built in the last few years.

For us to be successful, we have to think big time, and there is nothing bigger than being ranked.

Agree. The whole "Cal is ranked so bad things will happen" is typical superstitious loser BS. Same with "woofing gods" and all that hooey. Sadly, some of the posters engaging in this nonsense are or were science majors and should know better.

Cal may not deserve a ranking. Based on the last three games they played, I don't think they do. But if that's the case the remaining games will sort that out.

Not wanting Cal to be ranked because somehow it allows the team to be the underdog is how losers think. Losers who don't have a firm grasp of basic science, which is the most embarrassing part.

I'm glad Cal is ranked. I don't think they'll maintin it. But I'd rather be wrong on the second one than not have a chance to find out next weekend. Not being ranked doesn't increase Cal's chances of winning. Duh. We're smarter than that, right??
okaydo
Uthaithani said:

Arcadiabear said:

510 Bear said:

Agree. The whole "Cal is ranked so bad things will happen" is typical superstitious loser BS. Same with "woofing gods" and all that hooey. Sadly, some of the posters engaging in this nonsense are or were science majors and should know better.

Cal may not deserve a ranking. Based on the last three games they played, I don't think they do. But if that's the case the remaining games will sort that out.

Not wanting Cal to be ranked because somehow it allows the team to be the underdog is how losers think. Losers who don't have a firm grasp of basic science, which is the most embarrassing part.

I'm glad Cal is ranked. I don't think they'll maintin it. But I'd rather be wrong on the second one than not have a chance to find out next weekend. Not being ranked doesn't increase Cal's chances of winning. Duh. We're smarter than that, right??

I think the underdog thing propelled the Eagles to their Super Bowl win.

Larno
The lower regions of the top 25 are usually populated by teams like Cal, now, and a Duke or Kentucky who have some early season success but then flame out when the conference starts. Not saying Cal will or won't do this but this is always the case. Remember 2015 when Cal went back to Utah and despite Goff coughing up all the turnovers Cal had a real chance to win and earn a high rating? And then the next week that high rating would have meant nothing as they got torched by UCLA. Again, not necessarily saying this will happen to Cal. It's great to be ranked and receive the recognition (something to be pointed out to recruits) but let's be ranked at the end of the season.
GivemTheAxe
Another Bear said:

Cal got ranked because BYU is ranked, and Cal beat BYU. Road win at BYU looks good at this point.

It's early so it's meaningless. Old Cal says to me...yeah we're EFed...but maybe this will be new Cal under Wilcox? I just wish we weren't facing Oregon but at least it's at home and at night. Pac-12 after dark can be crazy, and that gives Cal an edge.

My old Cal brain: "we're in trouble now".

My new Cal brain: "its all part of a natural progression under JW. If JW is going to turn things around, we have to get used to being ranked in the Top 25 regularly. Now is a good a time as any to start.
bearsandgiants
Being ranked means more recruits will be watching the game. This is great. And we should win. Our defense is one of the best in the pac and our offense gets better every week. This should be a great game. We are probably only ranked because fox fixed it, in the same way the officials didn't call PI on Stanfurd so they could set up the top10 Notre dame matchup but that's fine. I'll take it.
calumnus
It is a big question of whether we deserve the ranking. I have no idea how good we are. I think this game is a big test of that. However there are two possible results: 1) we win, proving we are a good team and move even higher in the rankings or 2) we lose, showing we are not there yet and drop out of the rankings (but boost Oregon).

The fact we are ranked now is good, because it gives us a chance to move higher with a win (which we would deserve). If we lose, who cares?
tim94501
Feels good to be back on the right side of this. Ranked playing a ranked team. Welcome back to relevant football fellas.
GoBears635
Cal Strong! said:

BEARUPINDC said:

Please advise...
Toughen up your thinking. Be more like Cal, less like someone who don't know what to do and who doesn't know how to properly format an ellipsis.

Cal STRONG!
Cal STRONG, but maybe Cal Strong needs to quit giving advice on grammar.
staygolden2001
GoBears635 said:

Cal Strong! said:

BEARUPINDC said:

Please advise...

Cal STRONG!
Cal STRONG, but maybe Cal Strong needs to quit giving advice on grammar.
Cal Strong give too strong grammar advice.
MugsVanSant
In the meantime BYU has moved up to #20! They played McNeese State last Saturday. There is no question that Cal deserved to beat BYU. BYU has an above average home field advantage due to the altitude. Nonethless, Cal beat BYU in every phase of the game. Of course, it is wrong that BYU should be ranked ahead of us. I think that this reflects more on the accuracy of football polls than anything else.

See you guys at the game. GO BEARS
Another Bear
BYU beat a ranked Wisconsin, on the road. I tthink they deserve their ranking, well at least the logic is fair - beat ranked team on the road/away and you did something.
bear2034
Another Bear said:

BYU beat a ranked Wisconsin, on the road. I tthink they deserve their ranking, well at least the logic is fair - beat ranked team at home, and you did something.
How is Wisconsin, a team that lost to BYU at home and ranked #15? That's a bad loss, Wisconsin shouldn't be ranked, imo.
Another Bear
They get the benefit of the doubt at the start of the season for consistency. They've been a top 20 for a long time, decades. They have a system and identity.
KoreAmBear
Arcadiabear said:

510 Bear said:

Cal alums/students fake humility so they don't look like idiots.
Cal89
I don't care all that much that we are ranked, other then it lends some additional credence that we've become a pretty good team...

Should we upset the Ducks, we'd have a legit shot to be 7-0, maybe in the top 15, with UW coming into town.

I read somewhere that Oregon still plays with pace, and was even in the top 10 for offensive plays per game. I didn't see such against Stanford, and when looking at the data I sliced and diced on a spreadsheet, they are doing under 78 plays a game, just one more play than us. And they had an OT game...

Really hope Noa can play. Regardless, if we can get the RPO going, use those TEs, our offense will produce better than some of us think it might. It will be up to our D to keep these guys in check. If we indeed have been withholding, now is the time open-up the playbook. From what I saw of Herbert, we must get pressure on that young man. He has thrown 5 INTs and despite a bye last week for us, we are still tied for 2nd in picks, tops in the P5.

Let's not forget that this is Oregon's first road game too. Their first four games at home, is mighty nice. Coming off a bye, I like the set-up.

An absolutely huge game for us.
Sig test...
sycasey
Don't play a game, get ranked. De-fault, de-fault!

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.