Uh, oh!... We're Ranked!

8,151 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by okaydo
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

It is a big question of whether we deserve the ranking. I have no idea how good we are. I think this game is a big test of that. However there are two possible results: 1) we win, proving we are a good team and move even higher in the rankings or 2) we lose, showing we are not there yet and drop out of the rankings (but boost Oregon).

The fact we are ranked now is good, because it gives us a chance to move higher with a win (which we would deserve). If we lose, who cares?
I actually see more than two possible meaningful outcomes:

1. win
2. "good" loss
3. bad loss

Okay, so, at some point, we will need more than moral victories, but right now, I think it's really important to at least play Oregon tough in this game. The staff is trying to sell the perception of us being "a program on the rise" and I think we can still do this with a close loss this Saturday, provided we still go on to have a winning record this season. Were we to lose big, it would be back to square one, with the perception stuff.
Bear8
Do teams like Alabama, Georgia, Clemson or Ohio State hang their heads when their ranked? Of course, not! This is not your grandfather's Cal team. We now have three winners guiding us: Carol Christ, Jim Knowlton and Justin Wilcox. When has Cal had the support and excellent guidance in its three most critical positions? Not since WWII and Pappy Waldorf. Ranking is good. Deal with it.
Bears2thDoc
We are always ranked.....
Often, but not always, in the Top 10 of the PAC12
grumpybear
It's great to be ranked, but sometimes it can hurt a team rather then help. Personally, I wish this ranking would come later in this 2018 season. But, if CAL wins this weekend I will take it all back.
Still, GO BEARS
GivemTheAxe
Cal_79 said:

okaydo said:

Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo

Sounds as if you're happier when Cal sucks...

For some fans It is easier to watch Cal football when Cal is unranked....lower expectations.
I know some people who were long time season ticket holders but gave up their season tix in the Good Tedford era. Now they were coming back during the Sonny years
Their cover story: it was getting too crowded in the years that Cal was regularly winning .
ducky23
I stole this from another site, but in the last decade, cal is 2-6 the game after entering the rankings.

Cal fans have seen this story before. That's why there's more fear than excitement. Let's see if Wilcox can change the culture.
Cal89
ducky23 said:

I stole this from another site, but in the last decade, cal is 2-6 the game after entering the rankings.

Cal fans have seen this story before. That's why there's more fear than excitement. Let's see if Wilcox can change the culture.
And, FWIW, even under JT, I believe, after first being ranked, we lost a couple times a didn't return the rest of the season.

Yup. Just checked. His first season actually. We won our first three games and it was the trouncing of #15 Michigan State in East Lansing that got us to #23. We then lost our next two games...

That was then, this is now.
Sig test...
sycasey
Cal89 said:

ducky23 said:

And, FWIW, even under JT, I believe, after first being ranked, we lost a couple times a didn't return the rest of the season.

Yup. Just checked. His first season actually. We won our first three games and it was the trouncing of #15 Michigan State in East Lansing that got us to #23. We then lost our next two games...

In 2004 and 2006 (unsurprisingly) we started in the rankings and stayed there. Never fell out of the AP Top 25.

2005 - Ranked 10 straight weeks to start the season, fell off after losing to USC, but snuck back in after the bowl game at 25.

2007 - Ranked every week to start the season, fell out after the third straight loss to ASU (Week 9), back again after beating WSU, then out for good after losing to USC.

2008 - Three separate times we got ranked, then fell out the very next week after a loss. Never got back, though I would argue we had a deserving Top 25 resume after the bowl game. Michigan State stayed ranked even though they had the same record and we beat them.

2009 - Started out highly ranked with a lot of expectations (thanks to Jahvid Best). Stayed in the rankings the first five weeks, then fell out after two blowout losses (Oregon and USC). Got back in after three wins, then fell out again after losing to Oregon State. Back in after beating Arizona, again after beating Furd, and then (stop me if you've heard this before) out again after a blowout loss to UW and in the bowl game.

2015 - Four weeks in the rankings after starting 5-0, then fell out after the third straight loss (Utah, UCLA, USC) and never got back.
Yogi58
Cal89 said:

ducky23 said:

You mean the season of the incredible turnaround?
Bobodeluxe
Bump.
okaydo
okaydo said:

Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo

Great post.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.