Playing against Jeff Tedford

2,206 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by KoreAmBear
packawana
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's too early to project which bowl we end up in this year, but we're projected by a couple of different publications to take on Fresno State either in the Cheez-It or Las Vegas Bowl.

I can't think of anything more poetic than for us to end our season playing against the man whose shadow looms over our program. Defeating him, I feel, would signify that we've truly moved on to a new, exciting era. That being said, playing against him is scary as hell because that offense is going to be hard to stop.

What do you all think?
WifeStrong
packawana said:

It's too early to project which bowl we end up in this year, but we're projected by a couple of different publications to take on Fresno State either in the Cheez-It or Las Vegas Bowl.

I can't think of anything more poetic than for us to end our season playing against the man whose shadow looms over our program. Defeating him, I feel, would signify that we've truly moved on to a new, exciting era. That being said, playing against him is scary as hell because that offense is going to be hard to stop.

What do you all think?
There would be a lot of strong story lines with Tedford coaching and firing Toler, and with DeRuyter. But I fear we would not match up well against Fresno State. A win is certainly possible. But it is unlikely.

Beating Tedford would be great. But getting blown out by his offense would be terrible.
72CalBear
This is silly. Teams play against former coaches all the time. The players won't care. I think it would be totally great to have two masterful coaches face one another - one known for offense and one for defense. Isn't this what football is all about?? Why fear any team?? Personalities aside, JT remains a coach who brought much pride and success to Cal football. This would be a great game!
510 Bear
Yeah, seriously, we just beat UW, went toe-to-toe with WSU and beat way more talented USC in their house, and we think we can't beat Fresno? Come on!

And I don't think there would be any animosity or bad blood in a matchup with Tedford. It would just be a positive.
PtownBear1
If the possibility is there, I bet the bowl powers will make the game happen. The two former coaches going against each other's former schools is a great story line.

That said, I don't want to play FSU or any MWC team. I'd prefer to see us play a P5 team in any bowl.
Another Bear
Love Tedford but would hate to game plan against him this year.,
ColoradoBear
Another Bear said:

Why? We held WSU under 20 and that's a system much harder to game plan for. Just ask Bob Gregory.
Another Bear
ColoradoBear said:

Another Bear said:

Why? We held WSU under 20 and that's a system much harder to game plan for. Just ask Bob Gregory.
Old Teddy would pull out the stops, sleep in his office for two weeks dialing up a crazy plan that just might work. He does very well against his old teams. He owned Oregon for a long time, and they hated it. He owned Belotti and Kelly for a few years.
72CalBear
Another Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

Another Bear said:

Old Teddy would pull out the stops, sleep in his office for two weeks dialing up a crazy plan that just might work. He does very well against his old teams. He owned Oregon for a long time, and they hated it. He owned Belotti and Kelly for a few years.
I get it, afraid of losing to JT???
ColoradoBear
Another Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

Another Bear said:

He owned Belotti and Kelly for a few years.
When Chip Kelly was HC of Oregon (2009-2012),

Cal scored 3, 13, 15 and 17 points vs Oregon.

Oregon scored 42, 15, 43 and 59 points vs Cal.

Not exactly the definition of owning Chip Kelly.

Fresno State would have an average or slightly below average P5 offense. Could Cal lose to FSU? I don't see our D giving up huge numbers, but then we've all seen our offense...
Big C
While I really appreciate the good things he did here, playing against the team he's coaching now is just another game. I don't really care at all about present-day Tedford, except for I wish him a good life.
Another Bear
Yeah, probably wishful thinking on my part. Tedford did okay a couple of years agains Kelly but then things went south. I thought he was the coach during the Monsoon Bowl but I was mistaken. Oh well. Still, he owned Belotti.
Another Bear
72CalBear said:

Another Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

Another Bear said:

I get it, afraid of losing to JT???
No, not really. Being afraid of losing is for losers. I'm just saying, he prepares extra for his former teams and seems to do well against them.
upsetof86
Big C said:

While I really appreciate the good things he did here, playing against the team he's coaching now is just another game. I don't really care at all about present-day Tedford, except for I wish him a good life.

Generally agree. But I am not excited about the optics of losing to JT in the eyes of everyone who might care, media, recruits, alums, pac-12 fans.

As for JT will he care more? Well if we are more honest, if we think, as many posters have commented, that JW's win over SC has extra meaning (to him) because SC fired (read partly scape-goated) him, I think as a Jeff Tedford (and among Fresno State players today), I'm going to be a little extra focused on proving how the Bulldogs measure up against Cal.

Certainly I can't point to their current qb as being the second coming of the MW version of AR or the players he inherited as the hidden roster of gems inherited from the previous coach (all due respect to him). JT has done something there, by himself.

I would savor the highlights we would get to see from that time if the match up is made.

Good news, JW is sort of from the same coaching tree. And it'd be a bit ironic to hear JT possibly blame us for having superior talent assuming we win. I'm sure he would gracefully win or lose.

KoreAmBear
510 Bear said:

Yeah, seriously, we just beat UW, went toe-to-toe with WSU and beat way more talented USC in their house, and we think we can't beat Fresno? Come on!

And I don't think there would be any animosity or bad blood in a matchup with Tedford. It would just be a positive.
Yah both our teams would be flying around out there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.