Fire of 1900 Big Game

2,207 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cal83dls79
cal83dls79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ran into engineer (cal guy) researching the 14th and Folsom site. In his research he found this article. He remarked that this history seems to have been buried.

https://medium.com/@stanfordmag/the-big-game-disaster-1900-e34db0c3f646
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
OldenBear
cal83dls79 said:

Ran into engineer (cal guy) researching the 14th and Folsom site. In his research he found this article. He remarked that this history seems to have been buried.

Not necessarily buried, but lost in the aftermath of the 1906 quake and fire; a much bigger story. But if you've dug into Big Game history, you'll run across it.
cal83dls79
OldenBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

Not necessarily buried, but lost in the aftermath of the 1906 quake and fire; a much bigger story. But if you've dug into Big Game history, you'll run across it.
well he dug. It was news to me and thought to share how all of this stuff comes back.
bear2034
Thanks for sharing this fascinating bit from the past.
UCBerkGrad
Unbelievable story. Amazed I've never heard of it. Thanks for sharing.
cal83dls79
UCBerkGrad said:

Unbelievable story. Amazed I've never heard of it. Thanks for sharing.
I know huh? Glad I could share
Eastern Oregon Bear
I'd read about the 1900 disaster before but the 1897 one was new to me. Thanks for sharing.
cal83dls79
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I'd read about the 1900 disaster before but the 1897 one was new to me. Thanks for sharing.
news travels slowly to eastern Oregon
Calbach
Has the location at 16th and Folsom Streets been verified?

There were various athletic fields in the Mission district in the early days of San Francisco, most were used for baseball.

"Recreation Grounds" was at Folsom and 25th Streets. "Recreation Park" was at Valencia and 14th Streets.

I can not find a reference to 16th and Folsom field site, other than the Stanford article.

Has anyone else?

Thanks.

cal83dls79

and then there was the Luck-Catouse event which we dare not speak of
OldenBear
Calbach said:

Has the location at 16th and Folsom Streets been verified?

There were various athletic fields in the Mission district in the early days of San Francisco, most were used for baseball.

"Recreation Grounds" was at Folsom and 25th Streets. "Recreation Park" was at Valencia and 14th Streets.

I can not find a reference to 16th and Folsom field site, other than the Stanford article.

Has anyone else?

Thanks.

Article in the Merc

Mention of it in the wikipedia article on the Big Game

and the following quote
"Like many turn-of-the-century cities, San Francisco's sporting grounds were hastily erected amid active factories and warehouses. Thousands of eyes turned to the neighborhood's newest addition, the nearly completed San Francisco and Pacific Glass Works, just across the street from the ballpark. The plant occupied an entire block between Folsom and Harrison on 15th Street,.."

from here
Archives of SF Weekly

other than that quote above, I don't claim that I've searched all the references and articles....
Richmondbear2
SF Weekly had a more extensive article on the tragedy in 2012. Both articles mention that the stands were built just before the game so it sounds like in was just a field and not a place regular spectator sports were held
The Weekly ad also stated that the field was converted to a steel yard after the tragedy
TouchedTheAxeIn82

I'd read about the 1900 disaster before but the 1897 one was new to me.

Same here. I think I've seen references to the 1900 disaster a couple times here on BI, so it's been brought up in the last few years. But obviously not everyone reads every thread. And yeah I didn't realize there was a precursor that foreshadowed the coming disaster.

Edit: Oh, the article mentioned by Richmondbear2 is probably what brought the story to our attention a few years ago.
cal83dls79
Richmondbear2 said:

SF Weekly had a more extensive article on the tragedy in 2012. Both articles mention that the stands were built just before the game so it sounds like in was just a field and not a place regular spectator sports were held
The Weekly ad also stated that the field was converted to a steel yard after the tragedy
all true
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.