Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Blake Antzoulatos
Cal Football

Antzoulatos Thankful For His Future at Cal

November 22, 2018

Chaminade (La Canada, CA) High School linebacker Blake Antzoulatos planned his Big Game weekend unofficial visit with his family going much differently but poor air quality from the state’s largest wildfire in history -Paradise, California’s Camp Fire- created hazardous enough conditions to force a postponement of the 121st annual showdown between Cal and Stanford last weekend.

Even though the postponement of the game was a disappointment to the 6-1/225 linebacker, the visit had a different twist that was still enjoyable for Antzoulatos and his family.

“The smoke definitely was a bummer because it cancelled the game, but it was nice to go and visit San Fran,” said Antzoulatos. “It was an awesome experience to visit everything with my fellow teammates and family because I’ll be up there so soon.”

Also in town for a visit -this one an official- was 6’6/235 Indepedence City College linebacker Kuony Deng. The 4 star linebacker, who can play both inside or out but likely outside at the next level, intends to enroll in spring semester wherever he signs.

The rescheduled game also allowed the all-state linebacker a chance to spend more quality time with the staff and players, including senior middle linebacker Jordan Kunaszyk, who’s 2nd in the Pac-12 in tackles per game at 11.4 and 114 tackles on the season so far with three games remaining.

“I got to meet JK and it was a cool experience, especially because I’ve been watching him this season and have been trying to emulate the way he prepares, works and plays,” said Kunaszyk.

The aggressive and productive MLB has been stuffing the stat sheet himself, compiling an impressive 152 tackles, two sacks, 11 1/2 tackles for loss, 25 hurries, two interceptions, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery in just 11 games.

The visit to Berkeley further focused Antzoulatos on his future at Cal, continuing to build anticipation of signing next month in the early signing period and arriving after graduation in June.

“I’m looking forward to getting to work and learning all I can from the coaches and upperclassmen,” said Antzoulatos. “I want to be useful to the team as soon as possible. I will be enrolling in summer.”

Discussion from...

Antzoulatos Thankful For His Future at Cal

8,514 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 82gradDLSdad
upsetof86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
His tackling on hi hudl tape is solid. he seems like a guy who, though not that fast takes good angles, nose for the ball, loves contact, will continue to develop at the next level. A disciplined but aggressive player. Loves Cal. Utah offered, I take that as a good sign.
MoragaBear
Staff
He runs a 4.59 forty, which is pretty solid for a linebacker
upsetof86
That makes more sense than an official forty I saw posted on 247 of him verified at 5.01 in March , Which is rediculous vs the tape. I chalked it up to being wrong but maybe indicative of not so fast.
MoragaBear
Staff
5.01's laughable. You'd be lucky to get 30-40 tackles with that kind of speed, let alone 150, especially against the type of competition they play against.
upsetof86
Agreed they should not have posted it. But clearly in error and didn't matter.
79 Bear
Love this young man's enthusiasm and am looking forward to seeing him play.
82gradDLSdad
We certainly have no trouble recruiting LBs. Worked for Penn St once upon a time.
MilleniaBear
That pick is funny - looks like he is playing somebody with one arm tied behind his back. Must be REALLY GOOD!
82gradDLSdad
MilleniaBear said:

That pick is funny - looks like he is playing somebody with one arm tied behind his back. Must be REALLY GOOD!

It's also funny because you don't see a lot of Tampa 2 defenses in high school where the middle backer is forty yards back in the middle of the field. Impressive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.