Aaron Rodger looks awful

6,503 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by okaydo
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What happened to him? He's been a below average QB this year. Horrid. Even against a crappy Cardinal team. The drop off continues.
okaydo
This article is a really good read.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/29/green-bay-packers-problems-aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-ted-thompson

(One interesting thing is that Rodgers, and his new QB coach Frank Cignetti aren't gelling. Maybe Cignetti can come back to Cal?)
01Bear
His O-line is suspect, his receivers have the dropsies. His best teammates were shipped out. His coach continues to handcuff him with poor plays.

I feel bad for anyone who's both a fan of Cal and the Packers.
Jackieridgle
His TD pass was terrific
MilleniaBear
Funny. Goff having poor day too. Post BG blues?
sycasey
He's also 35. QBs can succeed into their 40s these days, but you can't just keep relying on his superior arm talent like when he was young. Need better scheme and/or talent around him, which the Packers really haven't had for most of Rodgers' career.

That said, he brought Green Bay back twice from 4th quarter deficits, but the kicker missed the tying FG at the end.
calumnus
01Bear said:

His O-line is suspect, his receivers have the dropsies. His best teammates were shipped out. His coach continues to handcuff him with poor plays.

I feel bad for anyone who's both a fan of Cal and the Packers.

Yep similar situation with Garbers, except Rodgers is a seasined vet, the best of all time and Garbers is a 19 year old kid playing his first year of college football.

Surround Rodgers with talent, give him protection and good plays and he is a Super Bowl QB again.
hanky1
Talent surrounding him is probably equivalent to the talent surrounding Drew Brees but Brees is having the year of his life. Arod is obsessed with making SC Top 10 plays and his play has suffered trying to make those plays rather than just be efficient like Brees
chazzed
hanky1 said:

Talent surrounding him is probably equivalent to the talent surrounding Drew Brees but Brees is having the year of his life. Arod is obsessed with making SC Top 10 plays and his play has suffered trying to make those plays rather than just be efficient like Brees

Lol
okaydo
I blame that race car driver. He needs to see that Olivia munnn again.
cal83dls79
hanky1 said:

I think Aaron could use a Thomas
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
philbert
Don't you write this same post every few years?

He has been hampered with a partially torn ACL since game 1...
sycasey
hanky1 said:

Talent surrounding him is probably equivalent to the talent surrounding Drew Brees

No.
Bear_Territory
Has AR ever had even a mediocre running game to take some pressure off him? At least Brees has Ingram.
82gradDLSdad
Bear_Territory said:

Has AR ever had even a mediocre running game to take some pressure off him? At least Brees has Ingram.

The other NO RB looks even better.
okaydo
Mike McCarthy fired.

4 missed playoffs in 13 seasons

Super bowl championship

Street named after him.

Fired midseason
okaydo
Happy 35th birthday Aaron
bencgilmore
okaydo said:

Mike McCarthy fired.

4 missed playoffs in 13 seasons

Super bowl championship

Street named after him.

Fired midseason
which, when you've got arguably the most talented/best quarterback of all time, is underachieving. and the results the last 3 or so years were particularly weak.

hopefully the packers can get him a standout WR and some OL. I don't think Adams is a #1 but as a #2 he's pretty solid, and aaron jones looks like the real deal. would love to see OBJ get fed up with NY and find a way there.
510 Bear
Wow, the Packers aren't F'ing around here.
okaydo
510 Bear said:

Wow, the Packers aren't F'ing around here.

They were going to fire him...somehow, losing to a 2-win team who hasn't won in Green Bay since 1948, when they were the Chicago Cardinals, accelerated it.

So why beat around the bush? Why wait another month to "officially" start your coaching search?

The Eagles fired Andy Reid after 14 seasons. As he's proved in Kansas City, he's a good coach. But you become complacent or lose your edge after sticking around for a long time.

Reminds me of another team that fired its beloved coach after 11 seasons...only to see him thrive elsewhere.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
I wonder if Ron Rivera is next.
okaydo
This thread is from 4 months before the Super Bowl.

82gradDLSdad
okaydo said:

This thread is from 4 months before the Super Bowl.

So they were a few years early.
okaydo
BBBGOBEARS
he is stripped with no talent around him and a terrible defense-needs to be traded
Another Bear
GB is sort of between a rock and a hard place. To win, they need a better supporting cast, everywhere. To keep the best QB, that costs $$$. Between some poor management choices and a good HC becoming average, kind of have to start over but you have the best QB's contract.

At 35, I'd like to see Rodgers get a chance with a team with good talent all around, both sides of the ball. I imagine AR wants to stay in GB but wouldn't it be great to see him use his skills while he still has them, make a run. (I don't think GB can fix things with a new HC within 2 years.) I don't particularly follow or like the gossip stuff on Rodgers, not a fan but I'd like to see something like (in theory) exchange places with Goff, put AR on a team like the Rams, or even a notch down.

Seems like AR is wasting his talent in Green Bay. His passing ability is truly unreal. Hate to see that used/wasted with a handicap or disadvantage. On the other hand, he could run for governor and win. He's been loyal to GB and he's like a god there.
hanky1
Jeff Tedford to Green Bay
Beardog26
Seriously one of the stupidest things I've ever heard on this board, and that's a pretty low bar to sneak under. GB has no receiver like Michael Thomas and no RB combination like Alvin Kamara/Mark Ingram. Injuries to a couple of your best OL aren't terribly helpful, nor is a bad knee. But never mind all that, let's ignore reality and keep banging that drum.
calumnus
Bear_Territory said:

When Buffalo wanted to get rid of Marshawn for a song, Aaron lobbied GB management hard to trade for his former teammate, but no. What could have been...

Instead Pete Carroll went after him and bumped the Seahawks to the next level.
Another Bear
Beardog26 said:

Seriously one of the stupidest things I've ever heard on this board, and that's a pretty low bar to sneak under. GB has no receiver like Michael Thomas and no RB combination like Alvin Kamara/Mark Ingram. Injuries to a couple of your best OL aren't terribly helpful, nor is a bad knee. But never mind all that, let's ignore reality and keep banging that drum.
Actually it's not stupid if you think about the politics of the situation. GB has the best and highest paid QB (or close). Let's be honest, he's basically running the show given his contract, loyalty and the fans love him...oh yeah, and he's good, and the HC has to get along with him. So why not Tedford?

There's two basic options on picking a HC: fix enough around AR to win and keep him happy for the next couple of years...or start the rebuilding. I have to imagine they're going to work around AR, adjust and fix the team around him. Frankly might not work but that's the hand dealt. You have the best QB but you have his contract too. In the mean time, perhaps the Pack should start looking for the next AR, a good pick who will sit behind AR for 3 years.
B.A. Bearacus
okaydo
calumnus said:

Bear_Territory said:

When Buffalo wanted to get rid of Marshawn for a song, Aaron lobbied GB management hard to trade for his former teammate, but no. What could have been...

Instead Pete Carroll went after him and bumped the Seahawks to the next level.

Read the article above. The Packers won't tolerate players wearing their hats backwards.

You think they're going to tolerate Marshawn's eccentricities, like Pete Carroll did? No way.

Also Marshawn isn't made for a small town like Green Bay. It's probably not as bad as Buffalo, but Seattle was the perfect fit for him.
okaydo
Yogi58
okaydo said:

What a stupid article
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.