Fresno and Tedford 5 point favorites

9,186 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bluehenbear
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

hanky1 said:

Fresno St would give everyone in the PAC problems.

The type of problems that would make them tied with a mediocre Pac 12 team on a neutral field at half time?

They jut beat a 7-5 PAC-12 team by 11 points. Would Cal even score 11 points versus Arizona State?
LunchTime
We need a proven coach like that...

Honestly though, does he leave Fresno, or is this his legacy work?
TouchedTheAxeIn82
hanky1 said:

They jut beat a 7-5 PAC-12 team by 11 points. Would Cal even score 11 points versus Arizona State?
Plus Fresno beat UCLA 38-14 this year. Cal, well...
71Bear
upsetof86 said:

JT was tearing up in the post game. I don't blame him so was I. Record 12 wins and beat a classy guy in Herm. It was poetic. I grew up in Fresno. I followed JT when he was a player. I am so happy for him. Full circle moment. You are looking at a self made stud right there. Downey CA raised by a single mom. A nothing.
His older brother deserves a shout out as well.......
Golden One
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Congrats to Jeff Tedford on a 12-win season.
Amen! The resurrection of Jeff Tedford is complete and well-deserved. It's refreshing to see a team display a good offense AND a good defense! Hope we can get to that point next season.
TouchedTheAxeIn82

Wut? Fresno State scored the last 14 points of the game.
upsetof86
71Bear said:

upsetof86 said:

JT was tearing up in the post game. I don't blame him so was I. Record 12 wins and beat a classy guy in Herm. It was poetic. I grew up in Fresno. I followed JT when he was a player. I am so happy for him. Full circle moment. You are looking at a self made stud right there. Downey CA raised by a single mom. A nothing.
His older brother deserves a shout out as well.......

Hell yes to Dennis
Cal88
I think he's found his niche, happily following his bliss at his alma mater, he will coach there another 5-10 years, earn another $10-15 million, then retire, possibly as an AD there. By the time he retires, Fresno will have replaced Boise as the top MWC program.

JT is a solid coach and a class act who's done a lot of great work at Cal, good to see he's back again at the peak of his profession, very happy for him.
oski003
hanky1 said:

oski003 said:

hanky1 said:

Fresno St would give everyone in the PAC problems.

The type of problems that would make them tied with a mediocre Pac 12 team on a neutral field at half time?

Yes, Cal would score 11+ against ASU. I didn't realize beating ASU minus their best player and a few key defenders was the gold standard for being competitive in the Pac 12. For the record, I took FSU minus 5 points and won.
DLSbear
Great game, great atmosphere, Fresno fans love their dogs! Happy for Teddy and the Fresno community! Like to see the bears get one more win and that will be the capper for a good football season if you root for Cal alumni and ex coaches. Go bears!
71Bear
DLSbear said:

Great game, great atmosphere, Fresno fans love their dogs! Happy for Teddy and the Fresno community! Like to see the bears get one more win and that will be the capper for a good football season if you root for Cal alumni and ex coaches. Go bears!
I don't root for ex Cal coaches. I root for current Cal coaches and good guys. JT qualifies as a good guy.
hanky1
71Bear said:

DLSbear said:

I don't root for ex Cal coaches. I root for current Cal coaches and good guys. JT qualifies as a good guy.

Tedford gave many Cal fans their best memories of Cal football. Those early years were great times. Would it kill you to root for a guy who once provided you w joy following Cal football?
71Bear
hanky1 said:

71Bear said:

DLSbear said:

Tedford gave many Cal fans their best memories of Cal football. Those early years were great times. Would it kill you to root for a guy who once provided you w joy following Cal football?
????
okaydo
hanky1 said:

71Bear said:

DLSbear said:

It's why I root for Dartmouth's Buddy Teevaans.
hanky1
okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

71Bear said:

DLSbear said:

Me too.

Honestly I'm convinced that Tedford's failings at Cal had nothing to do with him and everything to do with the fact that the University is filled with a bunch of losers. Not to mention the fan base. Many losers. Tedford's success at Fresno st validates my opinion.
Another Bear
I didn't catch the game but I always pull for Tedford with the exception if his team ever played Cal. I'm grateful for what Tedford did for Cal FB...but I also like watching winning because it's never easy.

Two turn-around specials at two different FBS programs is winning and excellent coaching and damn rare. Good for Tedford!
Peanut Gallery Consultant
71Bear
hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

71Bear said:

DLSbear said:

Me too.

Honestly I'm convinced that Tedford's failings at Cal had nothing to do with him and everything to do with the fact that the University is filled with a bunch of losers. Not to mention the fan base. Many losers. Tedford's success at Fresno st validates my opinion.
Actually, Tedford had everything to do with his own demise at Cal. He put excessive pressure on himself and gave an immature coach too much authority over recruiting. In turn, this led to recruiting guys who had no business at Cal. Things completely spiraled out of control from there. He later acknowledged the beginning of the end was when he went away from signing players who were a good fit at Cal.

In essence, he is a good guy who lost his way. I'm happy that he has found a place where he can thrive...
Yogi58
71Bear said:

hanky1 said:

71Bear said:

DLSbear said:

????
hanky and TheFiatLux have the same trouble reading your posts
FuzzyWuzzy
71Bear said:

Actually, Tedford had everything to do with his own demise at Cal. He put excessive pressure on himself and gave an immature coach too much authority over recruiting. In turn, this led to recruiting guys who had no business at Cal. Things completely spiraled out of control from there. He later acknowledged the beginning of the end was when he went away from signing players who were a good fit at Cal.

In essence, he is a good guy who lost his way. I'm happy that he has found a place where he can thrive...
He did? when?
FuzzyWuzzy
hanky1 said:

Are you a loser? A winner? What are your bona fides?
Northside91
hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

71Bear said:

DLSbear said:

Me too.

Pretty much.
HungryCalBear
I'm super happy for Tedford. Can't blame him entirely for his fall at Cal with all those distractions and lack of support - Berkeley politics, tree sitters, stadium fund raising and building, tiny assistant coaches budget, tiny tutoring budget, etc. He did allow all that pressure to build up and affect his health & focus, but I still think he did a great thing for our program over his time here. Will keep on rooting for him.
71Bear
Yogi Bear said:

71Bear said:

hanky1 said:

71Bear said:

DLSbear said:

????
hanky and TheFiatLux have the same trouble reading your posts
Yeah, I noticed that, too.....
71Bear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

71Bear said:

He did? when?
Quite some time after he left he was interviewed about his tenure at Cal. He talked about what he would have done differently, etc. etc. etc.
Sebastabear
Happy for JT. Really loved (most of) what he did at Cal. But honestly my first, second and last concerns in these games is what is good for Cal. We recruit against ASU - just lost a QB we badly wanted to them, ASU losing is good for Cal so ASU losing is good. Period. Go Bulldogs.
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

Happy for JT. Really loved (most of) what he did at Cal. But honestly my first, second and last concerns in these games is what is good for Cal. We recruit against ASU - just lost a QB we badly wanted to them, ASU losing is good for Cal so ASU losing is good. Period. Go Bulldogs.
Yep. Why some Cal fans root for other teams in the conference in bowl games is an enduring mystery......
okaydo
I was gonna start a new thread, but I'll just say this here:

Arizona State vs. Fresno State was a good matchup to kick off bowl season.

The problem is the next day featuring a good bowl matchup -- or at least 1 Power 5 team -- is 10 days from today, the day of the Cheez It bowl.

I wonder why they string bowl season along with more compelling matchups each day, rather than but a bunch of Group of Fivers followed by a lot of Power 5 bowls bunched together.

Like next Saturday, there are 4 bowls, none of them are compelling (unless you're into Houston vs. Army).

There are 2 NFL games that day, with one of them being interesting.

I'm not against having too many bowls. I just wish they were spread out more.

johngalenhoward
Tedford is a finalist for coach of the year. Congrats to him- his turnaround of Fresno State might even be more stunning than the one he led 15 years ago at Cal.

https://247sports.com/college/fresno-state/Article/Fresno-State-football-head-coach-Jeff-Tedford-named-as-a-finalist-for-coach-of-the-year-award-Eddie-Robinson-coach-of-the-year-125946523/Amp/
Cal89
johngalenhoward said:

Tedford is a finalist for coach of the year. Congrats to him- his turnaround of Fresno State might even be more stunning than the one he led 15 years ago at Cal.

https://247sports.com/college/fresno-state/Article/Fresno-State-football-head-coach-Jeff-Tedford-named-as-a-finalist-for-coach-of-the-year-award-Eddie-Robinson-coach-of-the-year-125946523/Amp/

As he should be. Damn good HC. I watched that team the year before his arrival, including a game in-person, and they were remarkably bad. For sure on par with our Holmoe team he turned-around...

That loss at Minnesota really should have been a win too. Their other loss at Boise State was dang close also. BSU got 14 4th quarter points for the win.

I imagine JT will be on many HC'ing wishlist...
71Bear
Cal89 said:

johngalenhoward said:

As he should be. Damn good HC. I watched that team the year before his arrival, including a game in-person, and they were remarkably bad. For sure on par with our Holmoe team he turned-around...

That loss at Minnesota really should have been a win too. Their other loss at Boise State was dang close also. BSU got 14 4th quarter points for the win.

Too late for this year. All the open P5 jobs have been filled.
Sebastabear
I watched the game and was really, really impressed with JT's play calling. It was clever and almost always well executed. This with visibly smaller and slower players than what ASU had on the field. Shows what good coaching can do. Honestly it made a lot of our play calling this year look even more awful by comparison.
Creeping Incrementalism
The impression I got from the articles about Tedford in the years after he left Cal, is that he gradually became too much of an X's and O's guy, vs. Jacks and Joes. He'd stay up all night writing plays, accompanied only by critters of the dark like raccoons. Meanwhile on game day players would have trouble with basics like hiking the ball and handoffs. I remember one game in 2011 where on a 3rd-and goal from the 2 or something, he used Isi Sofele instead of CJ Anderson as the tailback. Of course the O-line can't do something basic like block, and Isi being a scat-back can't push his way through the defensive penetration into the backfield. When later asked why Isi instead of CJ, Tedford said it was because Isi knew the playbook better. My thought his -- okay, but if your O-line can't block why bother using the small guy because he knows the way a play is supposed to work?

To say that Tedford failed at Cal because the administration doesn't support football isn't enlightening, because the same held true when he succeeded at Cal. My guess as to what happened is Tedford's psychological inclination to drift too far into an X's-and-O's emphasis. The articles I read said his time off from coaching helped him realize that.
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

I watched the game and was really, really impressed with JT's play calling. It was clever and almost always well executed. This with visibly smaller and slower players than what ASU had on the field. Shows what good coaching can do. Honestly it made a lot of our play calling this year look even more awful by comparison.
A reminder of the Insight Bowl when Cal faced clearly superior Va Tech (their team speed was very impressive).

Now, if he could just shake his lapses into conservative play calling at the wrong time...
Cal89
71Bear said:

Cal89 said:

johngalenhoward said:

Oops. Well, that clearly states how far behind I am on such news these days! Did the Syracuse HC go anywhere? I guess I can check...
Yogi58
Cal89 said:

71Bear said:

Cal89 said:

johngalenhoward said:

Oops. Well, that clearly states how far behind I am on such news these days! Did the Syracuse HC go anywhere? I guess I can check...
There's still time for guys to get fired.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.