Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Craig Woodson
Cal Football

Woodson Flips to Bears After Visit

December 16, 2018

A late visit from South Grand Prairie safety Craig Woodson netted the Bears a flip from nearby UTSA to Cal on his visit to Cal this weekend.

The 6-0/190 Woodson shows a big-hitting, strong ball skills style the Bears were seeking in the defensive backfield to groom for the future with all of their DB’s likely to return in 2019.

Woodson announced his commitment on Twitter, saying: “I would like to thank the University of Texas at San Antonio for all their support throughout this entire recruiting process. The coaches took me in and made me feel like family when others wouldn’t and I can’t thank y’all enough for that. But after much consideration and prayer, I’ve decided that it is best for me to decommit from UTSA and flip my commitment to the University of California Berkeley. #CalGang19

“The visit to Cal was really cool,” said Woodson. “The campus is huge and I love the environment. It’s much different from Texas. The stadium and facilities were mind-blowing, too.

Woodson is looking forward to playing under the tutelage of former NFL DB and Cal defensive backs coach Gerald Alexander.

“I’ve known Coach GA for a while,” said Woodson. “He’s got his guys playing really well. Playing for him gives me a high level of comfort.”

Woodson will also continue his playing career with South Grand Prairie teammate Myles Jernigan who committed to Cal earlier this fall. The duo have played ball together since Pee Wee leagues in 6th grade.

“Craig’s a great player and a great guy, all-around,” said Jernigan. “Cal’s getting a good one with him. He’s an aggressive hitter, plays downhill like you want in a safety and not afraid of contact. He’s good out in open space and with free safety skills in a strong safety body. Everything you want. He’s really skilled for a strong safety and pretty big and strong.”

“Craig’s one of the most intelligent players I have ever coached,” said South Grand Prairie defensive coordinator Linden Heldt. “He’s a physical, downhill safety with great instincts.”

The athletic safety, who high-jumped an impressive 6’4” in track compiled 94 tackles, 2 interceptions, 14 pass breakups and two forced fumbles to go along with 4 rushing td’s on offense for the Warriors in 2018. He plans to sign with Cal this week for the early signing day.

Discussion from...

Woodson Flips to Bears After Visit

6,776 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Another Bear
79 Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Awesome! Very excited about that. Welcome to the Golden Bear family CW!
upsetof86
Happy to have him, welcome Mr Woodson!
Bear19
Don't our players have to run uphill sometimes?
Big C
Not anymore: It's almost 2019.

You're thinking of when we went to and from school, in the snow, when we were kids. Times are different now.
Another Bear
A hard-hitting safety named Woodson, sounds good to me. Go Bears!
Peanut Gallery Consultant
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.