Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Kekoa Crawford
Cal Football

Bears Pick up Key Transfer in Former 4 Star Michigan Recruit Crawford

December 18, 2018

The Bears added some key depth that will be ready to contribute right away in former Michigan receiver Kekoa Crawford today after his official visit to Cal over the weekend.

The 6-2/180 Crawford was rated a high 4 star and the 26th overall receiver in the nation as a 2016 prep at Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA after transferring from St. Francis/La Canada, where he played his first three seasons.

As a senior, Crawford hauled in 51 catches for 822 yards (16.1 yard per catch) along with seven touchdowns for Santa Margarita Catholic.

Crawford also saw time as a true frosh at Michigan, playing in all 13 games and adding four catches for 47 yards and a touchdown. As a soph, Crawford had 17 catches for 243 yards and 1 td in 11 games for the Wolverines.

Michigan originally beat out Cal, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and a host of other program for Crawford’s commitment as a prep.

With his two years of collegiate experience, Crawford fills an important need for the Bears,  bringing much needed experience to the thin wide receiving corps at Cal. 

Discussion from...

Bears Pick up Key Transfer in Former 4 Star Michigan Recruit Crawford

14,267 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Yogi58
510 Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YAAAASSSSSSS. That is all.
CannonBlast
Booooom!
Another Bear
Wow, another very nice pick-up. If he can survive Michigan, he should be fine at Cal. Staff is doing a good job and getting guys who can make an impact right away. Overall very encouraging.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
sonofabear51
Start Slowly and taper off
TheSouseFamily
Very nice. Should be one of the biggest and most impactful additions to the class. It appears Wilcox has been reading this board and realizes how important it was to make big changes on offense. The OL aside, it's looking our starting lineup come next fall could see a lot of new faces in some key roles and some brand new ones at that. All good adds though that definitely make me more confident about that side of the ball going into next season. It'll be interesting to watch how these new and different parts start to gel.
tequila4kapp
I really like that they are bringing in transfers. Commonly you are better off developing freshman over 4 years. But we have such a huge talent deficiency that we need an infusion of people that can step in and produce something now and buy some time for the current young guys to develop. And this guy seems to have the pedigree where he likely can step right in and be a difference maker. #like
bear2034
Is Kekoa and Dyland Crawford the same guy or is the wrong video posted?
MoragaBear
Staff
oskirules said:

Is Kekoa and Dyland Crawford the same guy or is the wrong video posted?
Same guy. Started going by Kekoa in college.
bearingup
Sounds like he is eligible right away? And here for spring drills?
MoragaBear
Staff
Eligible this fall.
HungryCalBear
Great news! He's transferring in as a Junior. How come he doesn't have to sit out a year?

Seemed under utilized at Michigan.
MoragaBear
Staff
He sat out this year and didn't play in JC
HungryCalBear
MoragaBear said:

He sat out this year and didn't play in JC
Thanks! So he has 2 years to play 2 then.
MoragaBear
Staff
Yes, 2/2
calumnus
E komo mai Kekoa! Imua Na Pea!
Bear19
Thank you Jim Harbaugh for your continued support of our football program.

Bear19
calbearinamaze
First, in response to calumnus: "ke holo wikiwiki neio ia e like me kna hiki"

As to his being under utilized....in 2017 the Michigan QB situation was sketchy at best.
If we throw out interceptions (of course if we could throw out interceptions....well Cal would be in bigger bowl
game) Michigan's passing game was worse than ours...Roughly only 14 completions per game, 53.5%.
I don't know but it could be Michigan's 3 QBs tried to get the ball to him quite a few times and just missed.

Really great pickup.

Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
That photo--will he be donning the Desean Jackson #1 Cal jersey? I see he wore #6 in h.s. but #1 at UM.

Makemake'oe i na tacos ai'ole na burritos? (blame Google Translate for errors)
Sebastabear
Fantastic addition. Welcome to Cal!
Bear19
You want stars? We got stars.

CALiforniALUM
We've just moved into the third phase of the narrative arc.

Phase 1: new coaches enter and hope flourishes

Phase 2: old players leave / new coaches blamed for ineptitude of young and under performing team

Phase 3: new players enter; take part of year to gel; coaches take further heat for recruiting ineptitude and system dis function

Phase 4: it all comes together and the slight fragrance of Roses is in the air until we inexplicably lose to Oregon State
Dduster
Why are we so excited about another Michigan castoff? Seems small and full of himself. Stand him in front of a mirror and you've got another fragile Noa. Big 10 secondary hits hurt too much? This year's recruiting misses look better. We need more size and physicality.
GivemTheAxe
TheSouseFamily said:

Very nice. Should be one of the biggest and most impactful additions to the class. It appears Wilcox has been reading this board and realizes how important it was to make big changes on offense. The OL aside, it's looking our starting lineup come next fall could see a lot of new faces in some key roles and some brand new ones at that. All good adds though that definitely make me more confident about that side of the ball going into next season. It'll be interesting to watch how these new and different parts start to gel.

I know you meant it as a joke. But I certainly hope JW or any other coach doesn't look to BI for guidance. If he does I would say Fire JW because he would have to be a schizophrenic incompetent.
Instead I want the Cal marketing department to read BI. Even though readers disagree vehemently on what the FB coach should do. There is a lot more unity about what the marketing department should do. And that unity remains IMO more consistent and true to Cal traditions and the wishes of The ordinary Cal fans.
OdontoBear66
GivemTheAxe said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I know you meant it as a joke. But I certainly hope JW or any other coach doesn't look to BI for guidance. If he does I would say Fire JW because he would have to be a schizophrenic incompetent.
Instead I want the Cal marketing department to read BI. Even though readers disagree vehemently on what the FB coach should do. There is a lot more unity about what the marketing department should do. And that unity remains IMO more consistent and true to Cal traditions and the wishes of The ordinary Cal fans.
I think you can add to that, the Cal fans who tend to be more involved, follow more closely, probably donate well, attend, etc.
travelingbears
CALiforniALUM said:

We've just moved into the third phase of the narrative arc.

Phase 1: new coaches enter and hope flourishes

Phase 2: old players leave / new coaches blamed for ineptitude of young and under performing team

Phase 3: new players enter; take part of year to gel; coaches take further heat for recruiting ineptitude and system dis function

Phase 4: it all comes together and the slight fragrance of Roses is in the air until we inexplicably lose to Oregon State
I hate you so much. (repped)
oskidunker
If he is not a gradvtransfer, why is he eligible?
Go Bears!
Yogi58
oskidunker said:

If he is not a gradvtransfer, why is he eligible?
I think because he didn't play this year.
Australian Bear
You're serious? Have you looked at scouting reports? This will be our best receiver next year. Thanks for your thoughts though
Australian Bear
That was for dDuster
Australian Bear
Are you a bitter Michigan fan? Your quarterbacks are terrible, but recruiting is great. One year of special teams and one year of dealing with a ball control Michigan squad tells you nothing about is potential.

JG has much to prove beyond his running ability, but should have a receiver or 3 that can create separation next year.
Yogi58
Australian Bear said:

You're serious? Have you looked at scouting reports? This will be our best receiver next year. Thanks for your thoughts though
290 career receiving yards
Bobodeluxe
Yogi Bear said:

Australian Bear said:

Yeah, whatever? When he becomes a cog in Cal's offensive machine, look for those numbers to ...
Yogi58
Bobodeluxe said:

Yogi Bear said:

Australian Bear said:

Yeah, whatever? When he becomes a cog in Cal's offensive machine, look for those numbers to ...
disappoint people
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.