Kliff's long reign in the pac 12 is over

9,222 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by okaydo
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd
okaydo said:

I'm thinking Swann is dusting off his resume as we read. Should have a good time working out the club with the SC wonks tonight.
golden sloth
Although I welcome Kliff no longer being in the conference, this also seems like a very bad hire by the Cardinals. I don't see how someone who was fired at the college level is going to succeed at the pro level.
juarezbear
Quote:

I think SC dodged a bullet. He's a terrible cultural fit for SC. Still don't see how Zona hires him, but that's their issue. Worst ownership in the NFL by far.
Troll On You Bears
Well, if Wilcox is looking for an OC, hopefully he doesn't pick one that gets outbid for by SC.
hanky1
Did he last longer than Manny Diaz at Temple?
Another Bear
golden sloth said:

Although I welcome Kliff no longer being in the conference, this also seems like a very bad hire by the Cardinals. I don't see how someone who was fired at the college level is going to succeed at the pro level.
The new trend in NFL HC is an offensive guru who can be a QB whisperer. You saw how that worked with Goff, McVey. The NFL is a copycat league...become younger and innovative or become Jeff Fisher. I think the model makes sense but not necessarily in AZ. They're dysfunctional.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
TheSouseFamily
TheSouseFamily
Oops.

CALiforniALUM
Now he gets to whisper into a Bruin's ear.
oski003
Bah. We might lose Beau to USC.
GMP
golden sloth said:

Generally, I agree. But to play devil's advocate, there are some things in their favor:

• Texas Tech is not a blue blood, and therefore it can't be easy to recruit.
  • Texas Tech is in Lubbock, and therefore it can't be easy to recruit.
  • I don't know if Kingsbury is a good recruiter or enjoys recruiting. That is now off his plate.
  • I don't know if Kingsbury is a good talent evaluator. That is now largely off his plate.
  • As both a head coach and a coordinator, he produced some very good offenses. Presumably, he will turn the defense over to someone who knows what they are doing, because his offense/defense splits at TT looks a lot like Sonny Dykes.
  • The roles are very different between college and pro head coaches. Perhaps he's better suited to the NFL game. Too early to tell.
PtownBear1
Some folks have a remarkable ability to fall upwards
socaliganbear

touchdownbears43
Sooooo Lane Kiffin
FloriDreaming
golden sloth said:

It's the Arizona Cardinals. They exist so Cleveland Browns fans can feel superior to someone, Raiders fans can have an NFL peer, and the kids on the short bus can outsmart someone.

Next to them Cal MBB... still looks like garbage. But the Washington Generals look decent.

Sonny Dykes will probably get a call in a couple years after Kliff bombs. Either that or Hue Jackson will get another run. Mike Williams probably got an offer for GM. They're special.
okaydo

HungryCalBear
Good riddance - but yeah everybody is trying to copy LA Rams hiring a young budding head coach. They didn't know that it's Goff who's behind the LA Rams recent success :-)
ColoradoBear
touchdownbears43 said:

Sooooo Lane Kiffin
sober sark
hanky1
hanky1
Man talk about failing upwards.
touchdownbears43
hanky1 said:

Man talk about failing upwards.

SC is connected to a lot of them - Kk, Sark, Joey Freshwater
okaydo
HungryCalBear said:

Good riddance - but yeah everybody is trying to copy LA Rams hiring a young budding head coach. They didn't know that it's Goff who's behind the LA Rams recent success :-)

They keep saying he's young. But Sean McVay, hired at age 30, was young.

Kingsbury turns 40 this year, which is not unusual age for a head coach, even in the NFL.
BearSD
ColoradoBear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

Sooooo Lane Kiffin
sober sark

Except that Kiffin and Sark were more successful college head coaches than Kliffy.
travelingbears
How do you explain Goff under Fisher? Guessing I missed your sarcasm font.
wifeisafurd
travelingbears said:

How do you explain Goff under Fisher? Guessing I missed your sarcasm font.
I'm assuming that Phoenix looked at the Rams and viewed Rosen is just another Goff waiting to have the right coach. Don't think Rosen equals Goff, but we shall see.
okaydo

dajo9
golden sloth said:

I agree with this so much I am shocked the Jets didn't hire him
Northside91
Marv Levy.
boredom
socaliganbear said:

Am I the only one who thinks this isn't a bad outcome for USC? They basically got $150k for free. I don't know that there's anyone they'd want as an OC who was available a couple weeks ago when they hired KK that is now off the market.
PtownBear1
boredom said:

socaliganbear said:

Am I the only one who thinks this isn't a bad outcome for USC? They basically got $150k for free. I don't know that there's anyone they'd want as an OC who was available a couple weeks ago when they hired KK that is now off the market.
$150k is chump change. They likely blew more than that on attorneys and marketing involved with the hire. The embarrassment it's caused them is priceless though.
okaydo
Jedd Fisch, Rosen's OC/QB coach, as USC OC?

okaydo
Northside91 said:

Marv Levy.

Levy became as assistant coach in the NFL in 1969 before becoming a head coach in 1978 (he served as a head coach in the CFL between those stops).

People are saying Kliff isn't ready for the job because he he has zero NFL coaching experience.
Cal8285
okaydo said:

Northside91 said:

Marv Levy.

Levy became as assistant coach in the NFL in 1969 before becoming a head coach in 1978 (he served as a head coach in the CFL between those stops).

People are saying Kliff isn't ready for the job because he he has zero NFL coaching experience.

If you're among the best of the best as a college HC, then NFL experience is probably irrelevant. If, for instance, Nick Saban got hired to be an NFL HC in spite of having zero NFL experience, I'm sure he'd be successful beyond. . . oh, never mind.
71Bear
okaydo said:

Northside91 said:

Marv Levy.

The lack of NFL coaching experience didn't hurt Barry Switzer....

The experience issue is not the problem. His lack of success at the college level portends failure at the pro level.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.