Would SC entertain hiring Tony Franklin?

3,042 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bencgilmore
Muncie42
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Helton definitely wants to go Air Raid/full spread...Franklin is certainly one of the real Hal Mumme Air Raid guys "available" out there.
killa22
Spav is probably the closest to Kliff schematically PPO/Spo Heavy.

Holgorsen was more downhill run zone& gap / play action with a creative screen game.

Tony was more RPO oriented & flexible w/ personnel groupings.

Longo was more tempo/simplicity driven.

Graham Harrel is probably closest to true air raid outside of leach.
LunchTime
If Cal's former is any indication of how good a coach TF is, ******* I hope USC hires him.

Lights out against terrible defenses, and below mediocre against mid tier and above? Yes please.
going4roses
Well he developed Goff into a 1st rounder overall draft pick no?

I think he would most likely develop Darnold into a high draft pick.
CALiforniALUM
going4roses said:

Not a heavy lift since Darnold went to the Jets as the No. 3 overall pick.

Maybe none of this performance stuff has to do with coaching?
OdontoBear66
going4roses said:

Do you think "He" developed Goff into a first rounder, or that Goff developed in Franklin's offense which fit Goff's need to get where he is? I am not sure that Goff did not have the tools and he used Franklin's system to a tee. Obviously Franklin abetted Goff in his goal, but did he "develop" him?
HearstMining
LunchTime said:

If Cal's former is any indication of how good a coach TF is, ******* I hope USC hires him.

Lights out against terrible defenses, and below mediocre against mid tier and above? Yes please.
Boy, is this a true statement. Cal under TF (or Spav, for that matter) never scored against the good teams when they really needed to.
march2397
I would go with Garam Masala. Hot pick right now.
Big C
HearstMining said:

LunchTime said:

Boy, is this a true statement. Cal under TF (or Spav, for that matter) never scored against the good teams when they really needed to.
Is there some data to support this, because y'all do know that EVERY OFFENSE EVER CREATED is less effective against good defenses than against lousy or mediocre ones, right? So the question is, is that skewed even more with the TFS/Air Raid?

I honestly don't know the answer.
going4roses
How much of that was due to having little to no defense?
packawana
I think that the Washington and Washington State games in 16 are some evidence of this but the fact that Wazzu keeps putting up very efficient offenses while still keeping true to the Air Raid and not putting their defense in a bad place proves that it is possible to have a high-powered, air-it-out offense with a good defense.
Yogi58
OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

Do you think "He" developed Goff into a first rounder, or that Goff developed in Franklin's offense which fit Goff's need to get where he is? I am not sure that Goff did not have the tools and he used Franklin's system to a tee. Obviously Franklin abetted Goff in his goal, but did he "develop" him?
I think he played a large part
Yogi58
HearstMining said:

LunchTime said:

That's because against good teams, you need to win the battle at the line of scrimmage which is something Cal under Dykes never cared about. Hopefully Greatwood will ultimately address this issue, as we're gonna be stuck as a program without it.
going4roses
Time will tell his lines at Oregon didnt perform well against good strong front 7's I am told
FloriDreaming
I can't imagine SC going Air Raid. If SC abandoned the running game, Hell has officially frozen over.
FloriDreaming
LunchTime said:

Judging Franklin or Spav on how effective they were at Cal against far more talented opponents is not a good measurement for how they would do with much more talent and depth.

In the case of Spav, we know that answer - he's doing quite well with better talent.

That being said Franklin isn't leaving TN - that was a very personal decision and one I can respect, having made a similar choice in my own career to stay close to my family and have work-life balance. That doesn't make him a mediocre coach, it makes him a good man in my book.
CALiforniALUM
OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

I think Goff was being Goff. Tony's offense gave him an opportunity. Goff took advantage of that opportunity. I think Goff's mild manner was as big a part of his success as anything. They are even writing stories about his California cool manner now that he is in the NFL. He is simply a cool under pressure kind of guy. Any other player would have folded playing for Tony or any other OC at Cal. His first year was statistically brutal for a QB - was on his arse much of the time. Just my opinion.
going4roses
Tony+Goff = who we see at QB for the rams as a person as a player etc.

TF was there when Goff got drafted.

Perfect match/ and timing

Do you think tui/bb would have the same result?
LunchTime
going4roses said:

I don't care if USC has a 1st round pick if they have a 7 win team that can't compete with the top half of defenses in the country.
calumnus
LunchTime said:

going4roses said:

I don't care if USC has a 1st round pick if they have a 7 win team that can't compete with the top half of defenses in the country.

If you combined our 2015 offense with a well-coached defense filled with athletes and plenty of depth, you would be a Top 5 team, easy. The increased pace on offense only hurts a bad defense with no depth. SC has always had good depth. That has always been one of their strengths.

It would be the current WSU but with five star athletes.
cal83dls79
going4roses said:

I think he could develop John David Booty into a fine qb as well.
bencgilmore
When we had a talent advantage, Franklin's offense was very effective. SC has a talent advantage on about anyone. In general I don't think it'd be a terrible hire. Luckily, I don't think they have a Goff currently... but an air raid doesn't require an NFL ready QB to be effective.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.