Men's ruggers notch another victory

1,167 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by chalcidbear
chalcidbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today Cal faced San Diego State at Witter Field. Unlike last week, wind wasn't much of a factor, but a series of rain squalls came through throughout the match. The Aztecs were a bigger squad than last week's opponents (UC Davis), but were still no match for us. We dominated in the scrum, consistently pushing back their forwards, and we even got the ball once or twice during the Aztec put-ins through our pushing them back. We also stole several of their lineouts. During play, our guys often did not go down even with 2-3 defenders hanging on them, while there were several times when a San Diego State ball carrier was blown to the ground by our tackles. So, like last week, we were stronger, faster and it showed. Halftime score was 72-0. Late in the 2nd half, SD State got a turnover deep in our territory (like at the 5 meter line), put was unable to move the ball forward, and instead got pushed back. They ultimately ended at the 22 meter line with a penalty, and opted for a penalty kick. The ball hit the upright, but bounced wide, so no points. It was the closest they got to a score, and when it was over Cal was ahead 109-0.

I think Cal played the starters for the entire 1st half, but made wholesale substitutions in the second. And it was in the 2nd half that our play suffered with muffed passes and catches, so we obviously still need some work among our reserves.

Next week, we open conference play against Arizona State (1pm at Witter Field).
TomBear
Last year the Aztecs were really good for about 10 minutes into our match with them down there. Then, all of a sudden, Cal got some traction and never looked back. But what in the world has happened to SDSU's program? They used be be pretty good.

Of course, against Cal, a lot of "good" teams look hugely inferior.

I thought there was a reserve grade match after the firsts played. Someone sent me an indication the Bears won that won by an even bigger margin than the first side match.
chalcidbear
Oops, the final score was higher than I reported- here is the official report:

https://calbears.com/news/2019/2/2/rugby-cal-shuts-out-sdsu.aspx

I left immediately after the 1st game, so I didn't stop to see if there was a reserve match. It seemed that our boys were getting ready for a second game when I left, but if there had been, it should have been mentioned in the above report. So who knows?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.