The latest manufactured controversy from the Daily Cal

17,815 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our football team stays in a hotel the night before home games (like every other team in all of college football) and looks like the rage machine against athletics is trying to tear down Cal AD for it.

http://www.dailycal.org/2019/02/07/cal-football-players-stay-in-claremont-hotel-before-home-games-funded-by-cal-athletics/

UCBerkGrad
Honestly we should consider cutting all non essential expenses. This seems to be one of them.
wifeisafurd
UCBerkGrad said:

Honestly we should consider cutting all non essential expenses. This seems to be one of them.
Who is we? You?

Donor money from the restricted football fund pays for this expense. Those that donate to the football fund would rather that the money be spent on this than some sport that runs up a deficit that Cal football revenues pay for. My sense is that many large donors (not me) view anything not related to football is a non-essential expense.

So tell me do you donate to the fund that pays for this?
wifeisafurd
Personally, I think Wilcox should join the Claremont Club and increase his donor outreach.
dbush518
Staff
In some ways it is a frivolous expense to put the team up at a hotel before a home game. But it has been done for decades and every FBS team does it. If Cal should stop, how soon do you think it would take UCLA tp point that out to recruits. Young men that age want things like that. If Cal wants to play with the big boys it has to do what the big boys do. Like it or not, that's the way it is,
Bear19
The author of the article, Alexandra Stassinopoulos, is a Freshman at Cal. I was curious about what sort of person would think to jump into writing about budgets & Cal football, so I Googled her name to see what would come up.

Ms. Stassinopoulos comes from a Greek American family, having grown up in Dublin CA. She has been a writer for a good part of her life. She won a middle school award for writing a short story, and was very active writing & serving as the editor of her Dublin HS student newspaper. She also participated as a swimmer on the Dublin HS swim team, won a Science Fair prize in Elementary School. But all activities clearly come in 2nd place to writing.

From what I can tell, her other articles for the DC cover a variety of political topics. Her declared her major for time being is "Confused," though I'm guessing she's not confused at all about what she wants to do with her life.

Ms. Stassinopoulos strikes me as a "typical" (OK, whatever that is) Cal Freshman trying to make her bones as a serious political writer. She's been a high achiever her whole life. The position that the article takes is what I'd expect from the Daily Cal: Has any of us ever seen a DC article saying "Let's Spend More Money on Cal Football"?

So it's what I'd expect from the DC. Really, nothing newsworthy or new. I'm guessing that is the sort of reaction that would bother Ms. Stassinopoulos the most: Not that I disagree with her position (which of course I do) but that the artical just isn't significant.

I do know one thing - Greeks have been voicing controversial opinions since history began, and that's Ms. Stassinopoulos' heritage.

PS: Coincidentally, Ms. Stassinopoulos has the same last name as Arianna Stassinopoulos Huffington's maiden name. I couldn't find a family connection.
Sebastabear
Why do I feel like I lose 10 IQ points every time I read an article from the Daily Cal? Maybe it's because they are never able to get to the "why" in any story. In this case, why do teams do this? The answer of course is because an enforced curfew allows the coaches to monitor the players and ensure they play their best the next day. Why is that important? Because it increases the chance of winning. Why does that matter? Because each win is worth millions (literally) in increased donations and ticket sales,

So the "why" here is because it's worth the investment. But for some reason the Daily Cal can never get to the 5th "w" question that forms the basis of all good journalism.
Bear19
UCBerkGrad said:

One day the Lone Ranger and Tanto are riding a aside each other in the Old West.

All of a sudden, a group of Warrior Native Americans come from the North, yelling and headed straight for them. "What do you make of that Tanto?" asks the Lone Ranger.

Before Tanto can answer, a second group comes from the South, riding straight for them too. "What's this, Tanto?" asks the Lone Ranger.

But before Tanto can answer, a third group comes out of the East, also riding directly toward them.

"We better head West, Tanto!" shouts the Lone Ranger.

Just as they start to turn West, a fourth group of Warriors comes riding at a gallop, over a rise, from the West, heading right at them.

"What do we do now, Tanto!?" exclaims the now panicked Lone Ranger.

Tanto answers: "What do you mean 'we' white man?"
okaydo
I wish somebody would put it to her in plain English that:

1. To help pay off the debt, you have to have a competitive football team that draws a crowd.

2. Having players stay in their dorm rooms and their apartments, which are noisy and distracting as hell on Friday nights and early into Saturday morning, would hurt them in trying to be ready for the next day's games. We don't want hungover players the next day! Or players hungover from second-hand marijuana smoke!

3. If Claremont, despite being a "resort," is the most cost-efficient, then so be it. We don't want players staying in Walnut Creek or downtown Oakland.

4. The team staying at Claremont isn't stealing money from other campus departments. It's all free money, earmarked exclusively for the football team.

5. To sum up: You have to spend money, in order to make money. (Like I would say to the Tedford-bashing students: If you pay a coach $300,000, you're either going to get your money's worth, or you will get a great coach who gets a big raise somewhere else.)
OneKeg
Bear19 said:

UCBerkGrad said:

One day the Loan Ranger and Tanto are riding a aside each other in the Old West.

All of a sudden, a group of Warrior Native Americans come from the North, yelling and headed straight for them. "What do you make of that Tanto?" asks the Loan Ranger.

Before Tanto can answer, a second group comes from the South, riding straight for them too. "What's this, Tanto?" asks the Loan Ranger.

But before Tanto can answer, a third group comes out of the East, also riding directly toward them.

"We better head West, Tanto!" shouts the Loan Ranger.

Just as they start to turn West, a fourth group of Warriors comes riding at a gallop, over a rise, from the West, heading right at them.

"What do we do now, Tanto!?" exclaims the now panicked Loan Ranger.

Tonto was no fool. The Loan Ranger was probably just trying to entrap him into some interest-only "house of your dreams" scam...
packawana
I largely see this as a battle of value systems. If it came down to it, there's people who would rather not have a football team than to know that money is being spent on one instead of other things.

However it does raise an important structural question - in the current state of college athletics, it is reasonable to ask if it's a fools errand to try to make the enterprise profitable.
going4roses
She has not lived enough to understand?
SFCALBear72
Perhaps because The Claremont advertises in both the California Monthly and Cal Sports Quarterly, they've established a trade agreement with Cal Athletics by providing a deeply discounted room rate. They also bill themselves as the "Official Hotel of the Cal Bears Football Team" in those ads. It's all about marketing. Fans, in turn, want to be close to their heroes even for one night so they also book rooms there. Win, win for the hotel.
run2win
This is exactly what happens. The AD (or its marketing company) secures a sponsorship with the Claremont. Advertising and promotional consideration for room rates and access.
joeroth12.com
X: @calgridiron
Facebook: California Gridiron
Goobear
UCBerkGrad said:

Do your homework before spouting off please. This is not intermural sports. One of the reason they are in a hotel other then keeping the players away from distractions is to have walk throughs for which you need large spaces, position meetings for which you need a lot of meeting rooms, planned meals etc. All teams do it. Wife explained where the funds come from. Sebasta explained $ repercussions of not winning.

As far as Daily Cal, whether you like it or not, the school got pregnant when it decided to spend money on the stadium. It is the indication that it is all in on football. Therefore actions are taken to get the best football outcomes possible including staying at a hotel before the games. We all know it allows all the other sports to exist. So Daily Cal writer, if you as a freshman don't like that than why come? You obviously did not do your homework in terms of due diligence. Shame on you. Nice shotty journalism.

Bear70
Exactly. I spent four years staying at the Claremont before home games and every minute is planned out. They aren't out there swimming and playing tennis. Staff can control the activities of the players, lights out, and food.
DailyCal...some freshman who has never spent on drop of sweat on a playing field. Weak.
Bobodeluxe
There will be dramatic changes due to gushing red ink in the department. Without massive influx of donor money very soon, everyone and everything is on the table. One or two more years ...
wifeisafurd
packawana said:

I largely see this as a battle of value systems. If it came down to it, there's people who would rather not have a football team than to know that money is being spent on one instead of other things.

However it does raise an important structural question - in the current state of college athletics, it is reasonable to ask if it's a fools errand to try to make the enterprise profitable.
The problem is the money likely would not be spent on other things related to Cal. Most donors don't donate to the football restricted fund to forego other Cal activities the author would want to benefit from the donor's voluntary donations that pay for the coach's salary/benefits and where the team stays. People like the author simply don't get that there are competing uses for charitable giving, and in fact, there is a whole industry of non-profits looking for their money.

And there Is no structural issue either. Cal football is vastly profitable. If you want to discuss a fools errand as being in terms of profits (which is an unusual concept in this sector), go look at non-revenue sports that will never make a profit and cut them. But when you do so at Cal, just realize that means even larger cuts on the academic side as the non-revenue sports have their benefactors who when the teams were previously cut, withheld money from academics in about twice the amount of the cost savings in the cut sports. My guess is the author is too young and uniformed to appreciate that either.
wifeisafurd
Bobodeluxe said:

There will be dramatic changes due to gushing red ink in the department. Without massive influx of donor money very soon, everyone and everything is on the table. One or two more years ...
yes, but if the money comes out of football, there will be more red ink if the result is the football program gets worse (e.g,, like hoops). I guess it never occurred to anyone spending huge coin on facilities for programs that don't make money (e.g., softball, etc) would cause red ink.
petalumabear
OneKeg said:

Bear19 said:

UCBerkGrad said:

One day the Loan Ranger and Tanto are riding a aside each other in the Old West.

All of a sudden, a group of Warrior Native Americans come from the North, yelling and headed straight for them. "What do you make of that Tanto?" asks the Loan Ranger.

Before Tanto can answer, a second group comes from the South, riding straight for them too. "What's this, Tanto?" asks the Loan Ranger.

Tonto was no fool. The Loan Ranger was probably just trying to entrap him into some interest-only "house of your dreams" scam...
Tonto was no fool.... I completely agree... But the Loan Ranger was clearly just a Banker is Cowboy clothing. Now the Lone Ranger, he was a real cowboy.....

honestly people....
NeverOddOrEven
UCBerkGrad said:

Haha, I read this as "let's cut the expenses for funding the Daily Cal."
Goobear
NeverOddOrEven said:

UCBerkGrad said:

If so than I stand corrected and could not agree more..
OneKeg
petalumabear said:

OneKeg said:

Bear19 said:

UCBerkGrad said:

Tonto was no fool.... I completely agree... But the Loan Ranger was clearly just a Banker is Cowboy clothing. Now the Lone Ranger, he was a real cowboy.....

honestly people....

While I like the original Lone Ranger and Tonto "What do you mean we?" story, I thought Bear19's spelling actually made it funnier. Thr "Loan Ranger" as a predatory banker and all the tribes that he had fleeced finally coming to get him...

Maybe I need professional help.
okaydo
NeverOddOrEven said:

UCBerkGrad said:

The Daily Cal became an independent publication and split from the university in 1971.
TheSouseFamily
Just wait until they learn that the basketball stays there over winter break. Or at least they used to.
Another Bear
Boy what a bunch of borderline fascists...don't like the message so kill off and/or attack the press. Hmmm...why does that sound familiar right now? Yes I understand the difference in scale and importance but this is where and how this crap starts.

Look I get disagreeing about an op-ed but killing off funding? Puh-lease...STFU or FB is next on the chopping block.

I always figured the team in the hotel the night before was game prep, bonding...and about curfew, i.e., don't want the 70s era Raiders on the prowl and lose the game and the university $$$. I'm fine with it.

But then I'm also fine with a student writer asking a budget question? It is a public institaution. You can rate it dumb or stupid but question is still legit even if you don't agree with the question.

p.s. nice stalking job on the young frosh reporter's info...Daivd Pecker is that you and AMI ready to collect recon to swap and trade later? Or are you Uber and going to track and harass that reporter? Yeah, knock it the EF off.

Peanut Gallery Consultant
Goobear
Another Bear said:

Boy what a bunch of borderline fascists...don't like the message so kill off and/or attack the press. Hmmm...why does that sound familiar right now? Yes I understand the difference in scale and importance but this is where and how this crap starts.

Look I get disagreeing about an op-ed but killing off funding? Puh-lease...STFU or FB is next on the chopping block.

I always figured the team in the hotel the night before was game prep, bonding...and about curfew, i.e., don't want the 70s era Raiders on the prowl and lose the game and the university $$$. I'm fine with it.

But then I'm also fine with a student writer asking a budget question? It is a public institaution. You can rate it dumb or stupid but question is still legit even if you don't agree with the question.

p.s. nice stalking job on the young frosh reporter's info...Daivd Pecker is that you and AMI ready to collect recon to swap and trade later? Or are you Uber and going to track and harass that reporter? Yeah, knock it the EF off.

The question is not legit if the reporter does her homework but that is too much to ask. And speaking about fascists give me a break. My family was occupied by the Germans in WWII in Holland. Using that term in this context is nothing short of outrageous. I am speechless...
Another Bear
Goobear said:

Another Bear said:

The question is not legit if the reporter does her homework but that is too much to ask. And speaking about fascists give me a break. My family was occupied by the Germans in WWII in Holland. Using that term in this context is nothing short of outrageous. I am speechless...
The question isn't legit? By who's account? Yours? Well, that's just your opinion, man.

Look, the University of California is a public institution. How funds are used is legit question. The fact you don't see it means you're willfully blind or just not thinking.

Any way, according to internet rules...you win, you mentioned Nazis first.

I'm glad your family survived but saying this isn't a legit question is pure BS. If you experienced that, you of all people should know better. Fascism starts with questioning and subverting the press to the point facts aren't real...and "Truth isn't truth.". Your family's experience doesn't change that, regardless how horrible or if it makes you speechless.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
Goobear
Another Bear said:

Goobear said:

Another Bear said:

The question isn't legit? By who's account? Yours? Well, that's just your opinion, man.

Look, the University of California is a public institution. How funds are used is legit question. The fact you don't see it means you're willfully blind or just not thinking.

Any way, according to internet rules...you win, you mentioned Nazis first.

I'm glad your family survived but saying this isn't a legit question is pure BS. If you experienced that, you of all people should know better. Fascism starts with questioning and subverting the press to the point facts aren't real...and "Truth isn't truth.". Your family's experience doesn't change that, regardless how horrible or if it makes you speechless.
It's fine to question things. But doing some research would likely have resulted in a different question unless you want to be a football antagonist. I see you want to argue and win your argument. I would argue that concentrated government such as dictatorship no matter what brand including but not limited to communism, fascism, forms of socialism would lead to oppression of the press. The way you want to talk is that readers here are like that. Why would you brand us like that? Calling somebody names is juvenile and should not be done.

Finally what truth came out of this report? Can you enlighten us?
Sebastabear
I'm a big believer in a free press. But "journalism" means something. When you write a story you should answer who, what, where, when and why. If you don't even try to figure out "why" something is happening (much less address it) then you aren't a journalist.

I mean this isn't quite as dumb as the Daily Cal story that claimed that Cal was sexist because it charged money for men's basketball tickets but gave the women's tickets away for free, but it's close.
packawana
wifeisafurd said:

packawana said:

The problem is the money likely would not be spent on other things related to Cal. Most donors don't donate to the football restricted fund to forego other Cal activities the author would want to benefit from the donor's voluntary donations that pay for the coach's salary/benefits and where the team stays. People like the author simply don't get that there are competing uses for charitable giving, and in fact, there is a whole industry of non-profits looking for their money.

And there Is no structural issue either. Cal football is vastly profitable. If you want to discuss a fools errand as being in terms of profits (which is an unusual concept in this sector), go look at non-revenue sports that will never make a profit and cut them. But when you do so at Cal, just realize that means even larger cuts on the academic side as the non-revenue sports have their benefactors who when the teams were previously cut, withheld money from academics in about twice the amount of the cost savings in the cut sports. My guess is the author is too young and uniformed to appreciate that either.
I don't think it's hard to venture that the author and students like her understand that. I get that this is the way things are. I guess my big contention is whether this is the way things should be, and I like articles like this because it does bring up the opportunity to have that discussion. Though I suppose no one is interested in having that discussion.
packawana
okaydo said:

I wish somebody would put it to her in plain English that:

2. Having players stay in their dorm rooms and their apartments, which are noisy and distracting as hell on Friday nights and early into Saturday morning, would hurt them in trying to be ready for the next day's games. We don't want hungover players the next day! Or players hungover from second-hand marijuana smoke!
I get that the players are at the hotel on a strict, regimented schedule to make sure that they're focused on the game. And a lot of people would argue that is the price of taking the scholarship. But you could also argue that other students on full scholarship aren't being watched and regimented in the same way -- so why do we need to infantalize the football players in such a fashion? (the answer is clearly that the players' performance is too important, thus revenue, but that opens up a whole nother can of worms about compentation). Also, in this case, I don't just mean Cal but I mean every team in CFB.
KenBurnski
So basically a 5 second e-mail from the reporter to Knowlton would have rendered the article pointless. Lazy reporting. No brownie points just for "asking the questions" when the answers are already known lol.
Bear19
petalumabear said:

Quote:

honestly people....
That was a really glaring mistake, though it made me laugh when I saw your post because it is so obvious, petalumabear. Those Bankers in the Old West got everybody riled up for sure. . .

Bear19
KenBurnski said:

So basically a 5 second e-mail from the reporter to Knowlton would have rendered the article pointless. Lazy reporting. No brownie points just for "asking the questions" when the answers are already known lol.
For sure she should have looked beyond the surface, at least asked Knowlton for his reaction to the sorry. I give her a mulligan since this is her Freshman year at Cal. Maybe I'm being more lenient since I found Ms. Stassinopoulos to be a likeable person in researching her background. She doesn't strike me as someone who's automatically biased against all things football related. She may have been given some biased guidance by the older DC staffers(?). Also the article is harmless, much ado about nothing. No secret misspent funds etc.

I know that her lack of research isn't "defendable" since it comes at the expense of an easily avoided mistake. And when you write publicly about something as a reporter, you have an obligation to do better.

Still, not something that harms Cal football imho. Can't believe I'm actually "defending" a DC writer - I guess there's a first time for everything.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.