Ever had a sit-down about how much time you spend on BI?

5,926 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How'd that go? Also, do any of your spouses/partners have any idea about the nature of things you post on here or your reputation?

going4roses
Yes and my response was heyyy I am a bearinsider
Yogi58
My wife is in no position to claim superiority on that note given how much time she spends on Internet sites.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
B.A. Bearacus
blungld
When my wife sees BI on my screen she rolls her eyes and walks away. Once in a Blue Moon I will read someone's joke on this board to her but for the most part she doesn't know what these boards are like and that I am such an opinionated idiot here.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
KoreAmBear
blungld said:

When my wife sees BI on my screen she rolls her eyes and walks away. Once in a Blue Moon I will read someone's joke on this board to her but for the most part she doesn't know what these boards are like and that I am such an opinionated idiot here.
It's my kids that see it. As soon as see it they say "Oh Bear Insider" in a very sarcastic tone, rolling their eyes and then going away.
B.A. Bearacus
Another Bear
Peanut Gallery Consultant
B.A. Bearacus

Oski87
My kids spend hour per week watching other people play video games on YouTube. My wife plays some dumb game for shopping points or something like that and sniping about her friends kids on Facebook.

In comparison, reading and posting on Bear Insider is like taking a class at MIT compared to kindergarden. If you know someone who does actual real cool stuff on-line when wasting time, as opposed to supporting a bunch of 18-23 year old kids who are trying to make a difference in their life, good on you. There are people like that out there...but not in my immediate family.

I will say that since I have been lurking and posting, etc on this forum for the past 20 years or so...my contributions to the University have increased by 5000% because of the expansion of knowledge of what the University does and the impact it has on the world (and also because my income has increased...). I am sure that is probably the case for many here - even if they have not been posters, it does make a difference to be connected to the cause in some way.

That being said, the biggest issue that I have had, which almost led to a divorce, was when I told my wife I would pay off the stadium debt if I won the lottery back when it was around a billion dollars. She flipped out. It was pretty funny in retrospect....
bearister
Honey, what is this hot yoga of which this Shocky fellar is always referencing and what is a Monster Class Thread?
KenBurnski
BI keeps me informed on Cal sports and burritos. I spend a cool hour/day lurking and eleven seconds posting.
Blueblood

I'm not addicted to BI. I can
quit anytime that I want to or,
as I found out, can be censored
for life! AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA"
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

Goobear
My wife shakes her head when she notices while forgetting she plays mind numbing candy crush saga...
B.A. Bearacus
okaydo
My much-younger wife is okay with it, my age-appropriate wife finds BI annoying, my husband couldn't care less -- he went to Georgia! -- and my goomah is sick of me complaining about hanky1.
B.A. Bearacus
Sebastabear
Goobear said:

My wife shakes her head when she notices while forgetting she plays mind numbing candy crush saga...
My worries are a bit different. I think my wife and son kind of know I post occasionally on BI, but if I got hit by a bus tomorrow I don't think it would ever occur to either of them to go back and read my posts. So in some ways I feel like a big part of me is hidden from my family - not because I'm doing anything to hide it but just because it's not relevant to my relationship with them.

Pretty sure a lot of you, who I will never meet in person, know my thoughts and feelings far better than the vast majority of my acquaintances in the real world. Some of whom I've known for decades. Conversely I feel like I "know" many of you, even though I don't even know your name. I have good friends on here whose age, race, sex and occupation are a complete mystery.

Is this sad? Liberating? I'm really not sure. This is just a different kind of community. One that I never could have envisioned even existing, much less joining, before the advent of BI.

Oh and Goo, tell your wife I've finished all 4,340 levels of Candy Crush. Some of us find multiple ways to waste our time.
Goobear
Sebasta she wanted you to know she is on level 2605. She now plays cookie jam...whatever that is...
KenBurnski
It's a derivative match-3 game from the makers of Panda Pop. Please don't ask me how I know.
Goobear
KenBurnski said:

It's a derivative match-3 game from the makers of Panda Pop. Please don't ask me how I know.
Oh my. Let me test my wife on that.,She said thank you for sharing having no clue
okaydo
Keeping with the Joan Jett theme:

bearister
The only way to be free of the shackles of this sinister flypaper of a website is to draw a timeout for sh@tposting. The problem is I'm not sure even throat punching an opponent at the FT line would garner a suspension from this new tolerant lot. Under the Old Regime all I had to do was insult tRump and I got 60 days in the penalty box.
Big C
If I am on BI on the PC, my 10 yr old son, who reads really well and is a Cal fan, will come up behind me and start reading. After about ten seconds he walks away, whereupon I will shout after him something like, "Don't you even CARE about recruiting?"
Fyght4Cal
Not since the divorce...
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
WifeStrong
I've had several conversations with my husband (username: Cal Strong) about this. We agreed for him to dial back the amount of time he spends on this website. We both love Cal. And I am very proud of him for wanting to assist our fellow Bears to become less weak and more strong (like Cal). But he has other responsibilities and so he hasn't posted as much over the past few months.

We are strong believers in talking things out and setting high and strong goals for our family.
bearister
WifeStrong said:

I've had several conversations with my husband (username: Cal Strong) about this. We agreed for him to dial back the amount of time he spends on this website. We both love Cal. And I am very proud of him for wanting to assist our fellow Bears to become less weak and more strong (like Cal). But he has other responsibilities and so he hasn't posted as much over the past few months.

We are strong believers in talking things out and setting high and strong goals for our family.

He's lost the battle already.*

*If that post is a hoax, well played Mr. Burgundy. well played.
wifeisafurd
blungld said:

My situation as well.

That said, my wife knows and likes a lot of BI folks so she doesn't try and limit my time either. Just rolls her eyes.
wifeisafurd
Sebastabear said:

Goobear said:

My worries are a bit different. I think my wife and son kind of know I post occasionally on BI, but if I got hit by a bus tomorrow I don't think it would ever occur to either of them to go back and read my posts. So in some ways I feel like a big part of me is hidden from my family - not because I'm doing anything to hide it but just because it's not relevant to my relationship with them.

Pretty sure a lot of you, who I will never meet in person, know my thoughts and feelings far better than the vast majority of my acquaintances in the real world. Some of whom I've known for decades. Conversely I feel like I "know" many of you, even though I don't even know your name. I have good friends on here whose age, race, sex and occupation are a complete mystery.

Is this sad? Liberating? I'm really not sure. This is just a different kind of community. One that I never could have envisioned even existing, much less joining, before the advent of BI.

Oh and Goo, tell your wife I've finished all 4,340 levels of Candy Crush. Some of us find multiple ways to waste our time.
when do you have time to bill?
B.A. Bearacus
Wife, if you were on The Newlywed Game with your wife, would she be able to answer: "What is your husband's handle on BI"? (It is singular in its particular construction.)

wifeisafurd
B.A. Bearacus said:

Wife, if you were on The Newlywed Game with your wife, would she be able to answer: "What is your husband's handle on BI"? (It is singular in its particular construction.)

We got hitched before BI, but if we went on now, she sure could.
hanky1
I'm usually most active on BI when I'm sitting in the toilet. I'm actually on the toilet right now.
KoreAmBear
The general malaise of Cal sports has substantially decreased my time on BI. I mean for basketball, I don't even watch games anymore, and the only thing I can post about is when the coach is going to fired. Because recruiting is meh, the only thing I care about on the football side is when the OC is going to be fired. My wife has always told me the moment I completely disengage from interest in Cal sports is when they will be good. I should probably try that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.