College Admissions Fraud

87,876 Views | 632 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OneKeg
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Those indicted allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said."

joe amos yaks
OT or maybe this has been tied to recruiting?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
socaliganbear
okaydo
Is he involved?

https://instagr.am/p/Buz-_NaFUux
socaliganbear
"Among coaches indicted (some current, some former): Stanford sailing coach John Vandemoer, Yale women's soccer coach Rudy Meredith, Georgetown tennis coach Gordon Ernst, several USC coaches, UCLA men's soccer coach Jorge Salcedo, Texas men's tennis coach Michael Center."
Bobodeluxe
I am shocked, SHOCKED, that ...

Corruption is America.
golden sloth
Bobodeluxe said:

I am shocked, SHOCKED, that ...

Corruption is America.
USC, the last bastion for the ignorant rich.

Seriously though, everyone always knew you can undeservingly buy your way into an elite private school, I'm more surprised the feds are cracking down.
71Bear
socaliganbear said:

"Those indicted allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said."

I am so disappointed. Cal is no longer considered an elite college. Heck, Cal can't even get celebs to cheat their way into Berkeley. This may be the final nail in the coffin of the Bears' recruiting woes.

socaliganbear
We're about 10 years away from one of these kids claiming they're self made. Earn their way types.
BearSD
socaliganbear said:

We're about 10 years away from one of these kids claiming they're self made. Earn their way types.
Only 20 or 30 years away from one of these kids making those claims while running for president, and the media lapping it up as if it were the absolute truth.
TheSouseFamily
Like the hoops scandal, this kind of stuff has been going on a long time. People have always gamed the system to get their kids into elite schools like Georgetown, Yale, Stanford and the ASU Honors College.
okaydo
It's always so bizarre to me that so many celebrities (fred Savage Reese witherspoon) and children of celebirites (Katie Couric, Tom hanks, Rob Lowe) get into Stanford.
okaydo

UCBerkGrad
Why is this a scandal? Elite private schools have been admitting students when daddy donates a new library to the school. Has been happening for 100+ years.
Unit2Sucks
UCBerkGrad said:

Why is this a scandal? Elite private schools have been admitting students when daddy donates a new library to the school. Has been happening for 100+ years.

The irony is the way the feds acknowledged that during the presser but still acted like getting rid of this fraud will clean up private school admissions.

I do have to wonder about the people involved in this. A lot of the schools they mentioned were relatively normal regional schools like Northeastern U. I get doing all this to get into Yale, but ...
socaliganbear
okaydo said:

It's always so bizarre to me that so many celebrities (fred Savage Reese witherspoon) and children of celebirites (Katie Couric, Tom hanks, Rob Lowe) get into Stanford.

Totally on the up & up.
Unit2Sucks
The furd thing isn't surprising. First - Furd likes kid actors because it's excellence in a field. As for spawn of rich and famous - they attend the best schools, have smart parents, get great internships and other experiences etc. They have a big advantage and there are a lot of people in that group so it's not surprising that a few wind up at the Jr University.
okaydo
UCBerkGrad said:

Because this is clear-cut fraud? I mean, cheating on SATs and all that jazz is crime-worthy, right?

(In the late 90s, one of my Daily Cal colleagues published the names of students with bad grades and SAT scores who got in thanks to their parents' donations. He got a lot of grief for it.)

okaydo

socaliganbear
okaydo said:

Wow. That goes far beyond a coach. That's someone in the actual AD. I'm sure all their football admits are above the board tho.
TheSouseFamily
Yeah. The nature of this kind of fraud isn't surprising. But the amount of coin being tossed around (average of $250K-$400K per student) is shocking.
Another Bear
UCBerkGrad said:

Large bribes ($500k by one celeb) through a middle man to college coaches, to help facilitate admission, often under fake pretenses (kids were not athletes let alone schollie level).

In the traditional method, the bribe donation goes directly from donor to college gift manger/account rep. No fake schollie and going through college coaches.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
okaydo
It's amazing how true this is. (I'm sure many here will disagree, particularly those with advanced degrees.)

Another Bear
This is true but among the aspiring 3.5%ers where your kid goes to college is about social standing, the parents not the kids.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
OneKeg
UCBerkGrad said:

Good point and it's all pretty gross. Bribery. But at least some other students might benefit from the new library or building. Don't see how other students are benefitting from this stuff.
blungld
okaydo said:

Is he involved?

https://instagr.am/p/Buz-_NaFUux

I probably shouldn't post this on a public forum, but that Stanfurd POS XXXXXX someone I know--got off and now look at him. Infuriating. Was that on his college essay? Go Cardinal, quite the haven for this behavior it seems.

And there are continued rumors around Santa Barbara about the Lowes and what they do and have done.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
NYCGOBEARS
SC is everything we've always accused them of and more.
Sebastabear
If you slightly tweaked this scheme and had the money going directly to the universities (as opposed to individual coaches and middlemen) and took out the fake test scores you could literally arrest entire ZIP Codes in Connecticut and the Silicon Valley.
71Bear
okaydo said:

It's amazing how true this is. (I'm sure many here will disagree, particularly those with advanced degrees.)

It is absolutely true.
TheSouseFamily
Sebastabear said:

If you slightly tweaked this scheme and had the money going directly to the universities (as opposed to individual coaches and middlemen) and took out the fake test scores you could literally arrest entire ZIP Codes in Connecticut and the Silicon Valley.

So true. And not just colleges but private high schools and all the way down to kindergarten. Some private HS are even more competitive these days than the elite universities.
OneTopOneChickenApple
I always bring up this kind of stuff when people argue against Affirmative Action.
okaydo
Another Bear said:

This is true but among the aspiring 3.5%ers where your kid goes to college is about social standing, the parents not the kids.

1. I'm glad that my parents didn't really have friends. Or high class friends. My dad has no friends. My mom's closest friend was on welfare (who faked her address to send her son to Beverly Hills High).

2. Despite my mom being Asian, she was the opposite of a Tiger mom.
wifeisafurd
socaliganbear said:

I demand a NCAA investigation, with certain college academic units put on probation, the loss of scholarships for certain majors, and culpable administrators, faculty members and the like banned from D1 colleges. Oh yes, and a major fine to the NCAA. If you can do it for athletic scandels, why not academic ones? BTW, North Carolina and TOSU are excused from sanctions just because that is the way we roll...

:Edit: I didn't appreciate that a lot of this related to preferred walk ons as well. FWIW, certain programs at Cal do have PWO's who are children of Cal donors, but they better be competitive with their teammates (e.g., in golf the PWO's compete in tournaments and often can reach the "starting" 5), and they have the academics to get into Cal anyway. This is typical practice in most schools. Paying a coach or an admissions officer directly a bribe is a brtoo far that the named schools passed.
FuzzyWuzzy
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

I always bring up this kind of stuff when people argue against Affirmative Action.
This is liberal whataboutism. Two wrongs don't make a right.
FuzzyWuzzy
NYCGOBEARS said:

SC is everything we've always accused them of and more.
Pithy!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.