College Admissions Fraud

89,024 Views | 632 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OneKeg
MSaviolives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MiZery said:

how dumb does your daughter have to be for the mom to pay them 500,000 just to be admitted to that school.
This dumb
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/celebrity-kid-called-spoiled-privileged-brat-saying-shes-going-college-game-days-partying-190101738.html
LunchTime
golden sloth said:

Bobodeluxe said:

I am shocked, SHOCKED, that ...

Corruption is America.
USC, the last bastion for the ignorant rich.

Seriously though, everyone always knew you can undeservingly buy your way into an elite private school, I'm more surprised the feds are cracking down.
This isnt about "buying your way in," as in the typical making a donation.

It is bribing individuals to lie. For example Lori's kid got in through the crew team despite having never rowed.

Imagine; people giving Wilcox $500k to get a football scholarship vs people donating $500k to the school to remodel a lounge in some building.

Did someone already say that? Just saw its three pages deep already.
01Bear
Another Bear said:

I don't get this. Doesn't seem very smart. He could have simply made a donation, or endowed a chair or academic position and got access, no? It's USC.

One of Silicon Valley's most prominent voices for ethical investing is implicated in a college admissions bribery scandal
Quote:

One of Silicon Valley's most prominent private equity investors and one of the tech sector's leading proponents of how to invest ethically and for social impact has been charged in an explosive college admissions scandal that was revealed Tuesday, March 12.

Prosecutors charged Bill McGlashan, a founder and managing partner at TPG Growth which has made landmark investments in companies like Uber and Airbnb on fraud allegations for trying to engineer the admission of his son to the University of Southern California.

Wait, investing in a company that designates its employees as "independent contractors" in order to skirt employment (and wage and hour?) laws is "ethical investing?"
01Bear
hanky1 said:

USC's been having a rough past 2 years. One scandal after another. Non-stop. And not small time ncaa scandals either. But the type of scandals that send people to jail.

This isn't even the worst thing to happen to Unlimited Scandals and Crimes this past week. There was (yet another) murder of a SC student: https://abcnews.go.com/US/usc-student-shot-campus-miss-baby-mom-oakland/story?id=61603164
Unit2Sucks
At the risk of making this political, how many of these parents will be pardoned in exchange for campaign contributions? At any rate, I have a hard time believing any of these people see the inside of a prison.

Reminds me of this Dave Chappelle sketch (which I believe was recently posted somewhere else in this forum):

B.A. Bearacus
NVBear78
01Bear said:

Another Bear said:

I don't get this. Doesn't seem very smart. He could have simply made a donation, or endowed a chair or academic position and got access, no? It's USC.

One of Silicon Valley's most prominent voices for ethical investing is implicated in a college admissions bribery scandal
Quote:

One of Silicon Valley's most prominent private equity investors and one of the tech sector's leading proponents of how to invest ethically and for social impact has been charged in an explosive college admissions scandal that was revealed Tuesday, March 12.

Prosecutors charged Bill McGlashan, a founder and managing partner at TPG Growth which has made landmark investments in companies like Uber and Airbnb on fraud allegations for trying to engineer the admission of his son to the University of Southern California.

Wait, investing in a company that designates its employees as "independent contractors" in order to skirt employment (and wage and hour?) laws is "ethical investing?"

Bingo! Plus 1,000,000. I once read of a high tech start up guy who was shunned by the Silicon Valley private equity firm's because he WAS NOT following the independent contractor m.o.
StillNoStanfurdium
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

I always bring up this kind of stuff when people argue against Affirmative Action.
This is liberal whataboutism. Two wrongs don't make a right.
One is transparent and discussed. The other is a crime.

I'm unclear as to why something like affirmative action would solve for this problem? Don't all these private schools mentioned like Furd and SC already practice a form of affirmative action?
Another Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

At the risk of making this political, how many of these parents will be pardoned in exchange for campaign contributions? At any rate, I have a hard time believing any of these people see the inside of a prison.

Reminds me of this Dave Chappelle sketch (which I believe was recently posted somewhere else in this forum):
I alluded to this upthread. I think it's real. Drop a large donation or support 12 other kids. So if you can afford to drop $500k...you'll be dropping $3mil to general scholarship. If you run a large VC, you're going to endow a program to tune of $50m. Either that, or hard time...which I don't see.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
01Bear
StillNoStanfurdium said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

I always bring up this kind of stuff when people argue against Affirmative Action.

I'm unclear as to why something like affirmative action would solve for this problem? Don't all these private schools mentioned like Furd and SC already practice a form of affirmative action?

What kind of affirmative action would that be? Lowered admission standards for the kids of the rich and powerful, especially the offspring of alumni (who are overwhelmingly white)?
Unit2Sucks
Another Bear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I alluded to this upthread. I think it's real. Drop a large donation or support 12 other kids. So if you can afford to drop $500k...you'll be dropping $3mil to general scholarship. If you run a large VC, you're going to endow a program to tune of $50m. Either that, or hard time...which I don't see.
I think you may be conflating issues. I don't think the schools can drop prosecution here - certainly not for tax fraud. So it's possible the judges order them to make these sorts of donations in exchange for leniency, but most likely they just get the Manafort treatment (with suspended sentences instead of prison time). I wouldn't be surprised if one or more receive pardons however, since they were just being masters of the universe and have lived "an otherwise blameless life".
Another Bear
01Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Quote:

The ethical investing stuff had me at he invested in Uber. Jesus if he didn't figure out Uber was sleazeville after meeting Kalanick...
StillNoStanfurdium
01Bear said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

What kind of affirmative action would that be? Lowered admission standards for the kids of the rich and powerful, especially the offspring of alumni (who are overwhelmingly white)?
There's obviously legacy bias, but they also are permitted to consider things like race in their admissions process as they aren't state schools, no? Isn't that what people who want to overturn Prop 209 want? To allow public schools to do the same kind of admissions review and consideration?
wifeisafurd
BearSD said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

SC is everything we've always accused them of and more.

SOP in Hungary...
01Bear
StillNoStanfurdium said:

01Bear said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

There's obviously legacy bias, but they also are permitted to consider things like race in their admissions process as they aren't state schools, no? Isn't that what people who want to overturn Prop 209 want? To allow public schools to do the same kind of admissions review and consideration?

While consideration of race in admissions would be necessary, it's not sufficient to establish affirmative action. In other words, just because private achools may consider an applicant's race, that does not mean the school practices affirmative action. If anything, it appears that at many selective private universities, race is used as a barrier for applicants of certain races. Hence the lawsuits ginned up by the likes of Edward Blum designed to pit people of color against one another, while maintaining the systemic "imbalance" in the system that allows less qualified white kids into the selective schools.
Bobodeluxe
As it should be. Murkuh.
Sebastabear
LunchTime said:

golden sloth said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Corruption is America.

Seriously though, everyone always knew you can undeservingly buy your way into an elite private school, I'm more surprised the feds are cracking down.
This isnt about "buying your way in," as in the typical making a donation.

It is bribing individuals to lie. For example Lori's kid got in through the crew team despite having never rowed.

Imagine; people giving Wilcox $500k to get a football scholarship vs people donating $500k to the school to remodel a lounge in some building.

Did someone already say that? Just saw its three pages deep already.
If that's aimed my way, I'll just note that I remodeled that lounge only long after my kid had been admitted. And of course Cal is legally prohibited from even looking at that stuff (hence proving I'm not the most clever donor in the world).
ducky23
71Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

It's amazing how true this is. (I'm sure many here will disagree, particularly those with advanced degrees.)

It is absolutely true.
I'll only speak for the profession I know, but it absolutely matters for your first job after law school (after that, it doesn't matter).

I also imagine that what medical school you go to might determine residency placement.

Employment statistics demonstrate that it matters a lot. Obviously the more work experience you get, the less your college matters. I tend to think people that say it doesn't matter are just far removed from the time in their lives when it really did.

Having said that, I would agree that it matters in the areas of law, medicine and engineering but otherwise, nope....

So basically all the high paying jobs.

What percentage of cal alums do you think work in a field related to law, medicine or engineering/tech?

bear2034
bear2034
USC fires athletic director and water polo coach after college cheating scam

The University of Southern California said it has fired its senior associate athletic director and water polo coach following today's charges in the college admissions scheme.
Donna Heinel, USC's senior associate athletic director, and water polo coach Jovan Vavic were charged in connection with the cheating scandal.
In a statement, USC said it is also conducting an internal investigation.
Read USC's full statement:
Quote:

We are aware of the ongoing wide-ranging criminal investigation involving universities nationwide, including USC. USC has not been accused of any wrongdoing and will continue to cooperate fully with the government's investigation.
We understand that the government believes that illegal activity was carried out by individuals who went to great lengths to conceal their actions from the university. USC is conducting an internal investigation. Donna Heinel and Jovan Vavic have been terminated and the university will take additional employment actions as appropriate.
USC is in the process of identifying any funds received by the university in connection with this alleged scheme. Additionally, the university is reviewing its admissions processes broadly to ensure that such actions do not occur going forward.
TandemBear
Just another example of where the elite have their own set of rules and norms. The rich proudly declare, "Avoiding taxes is my patriotic duty!," so I find this to be expected. Wealth means access everywhere else, so I don't know why we would expect it to apply to college admissions.

Will there be consequences?

Will current students be expelled?

Will those who received degrees have them revoked?

How naive of me! Of COURSE not!
NYCGOBEARS
wifeisafurd said:

BearSD said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

SC is everything we've always accused them of and more.

SOP in Hungary...

Croatia, maybe?
okaydo
blungld said:

okaydo said:

Is he involved?

https://instagr.am/p/Buz-_NaFUux

I probably shouldn't post this on a public forum, but that Stanfurd POS drugged and sexually assaulted someone I know--got off and now look at him. Infuriating. Was that on his college essay? Go Cardinal, quite the haven for this behavior it seems.

And there are continued rumors around Santa Barbara about the Lowes and what they do and have done.

https://people.com/tv/rob-lowe-throws-shade-alleged-college-admissions-scam/
socaliganbear
Another Bear
okaydo said:

blungld said:

okaydo said:

Is he involved?

https://instagr.am/p/Buz-_NaFUux

I probably shouldn't post this on a public forum, but that Stanfurd POS drugged and sexually assaulted someone I know--got off and now look at him. Infuriating. Was that on his college essay? Go Cardinal, quite the haven for this behavior it seems.

And there are continued rumors around Santa Barbara about the Lowes and what they do and have done.

https://people.com/tv/rob-lowe-throws-shade-alleged-college-admissions-scam/

Furd has a major celebrity fetish.
Fyght4Cal
TDub said:

hanky1 said:

USC's been having a rough past 2 years. One scandal after another. Non-stop. And not small time ncaa scandals either. But the type of scandals that send people to jail.
I concur!

LOL! Took me a minute to realize you're our old friend TrojanWarrior. Sorry that USC cannot turn the corner on athletic corruption. It seems to be in the school's DNA.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
BearlyCareAnymore
71Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

It's amazing how true this is. (I'm sure many here will disagree, particularly those with advanced degrees.)

It is absolutely true.
I'll only speak for the profession I know, but it absolutely matters for your first job after law school (after that, it doesn't matter).

I also imagine that what medical school you go to might determine residency placement.

Employment statistics demonstrate that it matters a lot. Obviously the more work experience you get, the less your college matters. I tend to think people that say it doesn't matter are just far removed from the time in their lives when it really did.
Speaking as someone who was responsible for hiring people into professional positions, I can say unequivocally that the college of choice did not matter. The only question regarding educational background was do you have a degree not where did you attend college. The interviews I conducted confirmed that those with degrees from Cal, Stanford, UCLA, etc. were no better than interviews with candidates from less "elite" schools. It isn't where you went to school, it is what you did after you graduated.

Having said that, I would agree that it matters in the areas of law, medicine and engineering but otherwise, nope....

See, I knew somebody was going to say "I hired people and it didn't matter". Well, I was involved in interview processes (not just legal) and it DID matter. But that is purely anecdotal. Graduates of elite universities make tons more money over their careers than others. Either they are more talented to start with, they come out better prepared, (and if those are true, then I'd argue that it would be smart for employers to consider it in the hiring process), they have better connections, or employers do in fact care, or most likely all of the above.

You don't think it matters for high level government jobs? Jobs in higher education? Scientists? Mathematicians? San Jose State grads are equaling Cal and Stanford in Silicon Valley? Academic researchers? A degree from Parson's doesn't give you a leg up in art and design over other schools in that field? Degrees in film from NYU or USC don't matter?

I doubt many employers look at a 45 year old with 20 years experience and says "he went to Harvard. Hire him". I also doubt many employers when sifting through 20 resumes of 45 year olds with 20 years experience don't see a resume with Harvard at the top and don't look further than they otherwise might and maybe even interview when they otherwise might not have.

And I have to say, I disagree with you. Yes, I've met plenty of great people in their fields who did not go to elite schools. And certainly I've seen graduates from elite schools be duds. It's not proof of anything. But I flat out disagree that, at least for jobs that involve critical thinking, the pool that draws from elite colleges does not produce on average a higher number of qualified candidates than the pool that does not.

I think the point is, there are some jobs where studying in top programs with top people doesn't really add much value. The job doesn't need a crucible of thought to distinguish you. It is more based on time management, competence, dedication, pride in a job well done. Elite schools don't teach you that. For those jobs, you just need to learn how to do the job. Other jobs it is highly beneficial to have studied with the best. And in those fields, employers intrinsically know it is a benefit. Elite schools excel there And yes, that is a small percentage of jobs, but of course elite university graduates are a small percentage of the population.
Rushinbear

This is just as wrong.
calumnus
OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

It is absolutely true.

Or they are people who went to an elite school and do not realize how many doors it opened and how much it has helped them. People tend to discount factors outside of themselves when they are successful (children of $millionaires think they are "self-made") and blame everyone but themselves when they are not. Naturally the truth is somewhere in between and is difficult to assess because there are multiple factors involved.
OneTopOneChickenApple
golden sloth said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Corruption is America.

It's one thing if your kid has the same qualifications as another and you pay to get him/her in. Cheating on SAT's with crooked proctors and test takers crosses an even further line.
01Bear

golden sloth said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Corruption is America.

It's one thing if your kid has the same qualifications as another and you pay to get him/her in. Cheating on SAT's with crooked proctors and test takers crosses an even further line.

Serious question: How so?
IIRC, the SAT and ACT tests are conducted by private corporations. There is no requirement that any school use these tests for admissions considerations. There's also no requirement that these tests be applied equally across the board to all test-takers. Why, then, is paying for additional time or paying for a substitute test taker "crossing the line?" Sure, it violates a sense of fair-play, but if it's not illegal, why is it any worse than hiring test-prep tutors?
OneTopOneChickenApple
Unit2Sucks said:

UCBerkGrad said:

Why is this a scandal? Elite private schools have been admitting students when daddy donates a new library to the school. Has been happening for 100+ years.

The irony is the way the feds acknowledged that during the presser but still acted like getting rid of this fraud will clean up private school admissions.

I do have to wonder about the people involved in this. A lot of the schools they mentioned were relatively normal regional schools like Northeastern U. I get doing all this to get into Yale, but ...
Maybe they just have really stupid, unmotivated kids.
01Bear
Rushinbear said:

This is just as wrong.

No. One is designed to remedy wrongs resulting from systemic racism. The other is designed to provide further advantages to wealthy (usually white and privileged) kids.
wifeisafurd
Bay Area twist being ignore: 14 Bay Area CEO's were indicted.

And then his gem:

Arizona State University gets dissed in college bribery scandal court documents https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-education/2019/03/12/asu-mentioned-university-bribery-scandal-court-documents-lori-

This is going to be fun for a long time.
philbert

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.