College Admissions Fraud

87,471 Views | 632 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OneKeg
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
booth
wifeisafurd
chalcidbear said:

Here's the Onion's take on the USC angle:

https://entertainment.theonion.com/usc-insists-lori-loughlin-s-daughter-was-admitted-solel-1833246244

I love the Onion.
Big C
I'm so glad I lived all of my life (until this week) not knowing who Olivia Jade was.
NYCGOBEARS
Big C said:

I'm so glad I lived all of my life (until this week) not knowing who Olivia Jade was.

Amen.
OneTopOneChickenApple
Big C said:

Oh, come on. The world needs more Instagram influencers.
BearBoarBlarney
bearister said:

Well, I won't repeat what I said in a prior post that my experience as a parent of a USC student, and now graduate, caused me to change my mind about the place.

With regard to Notre Dame, my preconceived notions were validated.
There seems to be a disconnect between your attempts to convince people that USC is not the Spawn of Satan and yet your own personal views on Notre Dame.

I think most Cal fans would probably rank both of them pretty high on the Spawn-of-Satan-o-meter, but I've wondered which one is hated more as both universities seem pretty well hated by everyone else.
txwharfrat
TheFiatLux said:

txwharfrat said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

It's amazing how true this is. (I'm sure many here will disagree, particularly those with advanced degrees.)

It is absolutely true.

I will disagree with this entirely. I have been out of school 33 years and the fact that I got a engineering degree from UC Berkeley still carries tremendous weight in my field. Sorry. It might be true for some degrees but not engineering.
My housemate just got his PhD in Mechanical Engineering. What do you do?

I've been in the Oilfield and petrochemicals for my entire career. I currently run the North American business for an Italian chemical company. We manufacture chemicals used in drilling, fracturing, and production.
MSaviolives
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

Big C said:

Last night:

Me: I heard she is an influencer
Mrs: What is an influencer?
Me: ........ummmmm...I thought you would know what that means, so I just threw it out there....
GMP
MSaviolives said:

Big C said:

Last night:

Me: ........ummmmm...I thought you would know what that means, so I just threw it out there....

Basically: Acquire large social media following (millions) and then get paid for product placement.
Yogi58
Big C said:

Seriously. Youtube star? Based on what?
Another Bear
MSaviolives said:

Big C said:

Last night:

It blows my mind that there's such a thing and apparently the popular ones pull in big bucks...like $100k or more per post on youtube or instagram, if you have enough followers. This is the "you're your own brand" baloney taken to the extreme.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/11/28/18116875/influencer-marketing-social-media-engagement-instagram-youtube
Peanut Gallery Consultant
OdontoBear66
bearister said:

Another Bear said:

...The one thing I heard as a kid was..."SC is for dummies."

This is the last time I will take the bait on this issue and post a USC "apologist" comment, so here goes:

My daughter was the Valedictorian of her high school class and had a 4.37 GPA;

She had 2200 on the SAT with writing component included (1460 without that component);

She applied to and was accepted by Cal, UCLA, Boston College, Georgetown and USC;

She was wait listed at Notre Dame (which was her school of preference). I have always hated ND and I was very unhappy that she wanted to go there. ND ended up dumping her;

She wanted to be a business major and was told by Cal that could not be determined until her junior year and even then there was no guarantees.

USC told her that not only would she immediately be accepted into the undergrad Marshall School of Business but that they would give her a $10,000 annual merit scholarship and the freshman Spring Break trip for the business school was to China. USC made all these promises February of her senior year of high school. She accepted. USC had basically paid her to go to USC over Cal.

This initially broke my heart because of my love of Cal and because of my preconceived ideas that everyone at USC is either a bleached blond bubble head or a surfer dude (like they were in the 1970's).

Well, I won't repeat what I said in a prior post that my experience as a parent of a USC student, and now graduate, caused me to change my mind about the place.

With regard to Notre Dame, my preconceived notions were validated. When we visited the campus with my daughter we witnessed virtually no student body diversity and it seemed a cold unfriendly place (and a bastion of Conservative Catholicism). It is my opinion that the reason my daughter got dumped by ND is that the school is so legacy heavy and full of chowder heads like the DeBartolo spawn that kids from California that are not star athletes can F off.

Yes, between that pervert gynecologist and this recent fraud in admissions issue, USC has some problems, most schools do, even Cal (sexual harassment) to one degree or another.
The End
Notre Dame used to be the #1 Catholic school in America. Admission percentage is at 19.5% for 2018 and it has dropped to #2. Maybe the legacy thing has dropped them a bit. So often what goes around comes around.
OneTopOneChickenApple
Another Bear said:

MSaviolives said:

Big C said:

Last night:

It blows my mind that there's such a thing and apparently the popular ones pull in big bucks...like $100k or more per post on youtube or instagram, if you have enough followers. This is the "you're your own brand" baloney taken to the extreme.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/11/28/18116875/influencer-marketing-social-media-engagement-instagram-youtube
Shallow and sick. They don't produce or create anything. Just an online billboard.
joe amos yaks
Big C said:

Do you know the Kardashians?
Clueless fans lost in a sick and empty culture.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
KenBurnski
Or even have the decency to release a sex tape like Paris. That girl EARNED her right to be famous for nothing.
OneTopOneChickenApple
KenBurnski said:

Or even have the decency to release a sex tape like Paris. That girl EARNED her right to be famous for nothing.
Even that is too mainstream now. Need more than that.
johngalenhoward
BearBoarBlarney said:

There seems to be a disconnect between your attempts to convince people that USC is not the Spawn of Satan and yet your own personal views on Notre Dame.

I think most Cal fans would probably rank both of them pretty high on the Spawn-of-Satan-o-meter, but I've wondered which one is hated more as both universities seem pretty well hated by everyone else.

Not me. I like ND. I'm not Catholic but I admire the tradition and their football program seems to run a tight ship when it comes to discipline and academics. And the fact that they manage to win while doing so gives me some hope as a Cal fan since our program has a similar ethos.

I havent even mentioned the best part- they hate USC and Furd as much as we do. The enemy of my enemy....
cal83dls79
MSaviolives said:

Big C said:

Last night:

omg , don't know who you are but I love you, and your poor wife

Edit: meant lovely wife!
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
okaydo

bear2034
Big C said:

USC dropouts

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/14/lori-loughlins-daughters-drop-out-of-usc-after-admissions-scandal/
bear2034
Big C said:

There was OJ and then there's OJ.

cal83dls79
Good lord. Thanks for the reality check
KenBurnski
bearister
oskirules said:

Big C said:

USC dropouts

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/14/lori-loughlins-daughters-drop-out-of-usc-after-admissions-scandal/

As the late Sam Kinison once said: "I have big t*ts. I don't have to go to school. I get to pass Go and collect $200."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
TandemBear
From LA Times:

"What this admissions scandal illustrates is that incompetent leadership fosters an environment where corruption can thrive."

This describes the current administration to a T. No experience as an executive, non-stop attacks on and disdain for Federal agencies. Not knowing what they do, nor appreciating their roles. Michael Lewis said as much in "The Fifth Risk."
TandemBear
Another Bear said:

Mercury News names local names...

Which rich Bay Area parents paid to grease their kids' entry to elite colleges?

Wacky detail pulled from article: The rigged SAT testing center was in West Hollywood, so these Bay Area kids would travel to take the rigged tests there. They had to figure out something was up, having to travel to SoCal for testing.
I don't buy the "innocent kid" argument very well. In my medium-sized public school, I knew damn well where I stood as a student. I knew I wasn't Ivy League material. All my friends had a good idea where they stood. One REALLY wanted to be on the Furd gymnastics team, but he was denied. He and another friend "settled" for Cal Gymnastics. And we all knew the real brains in school - the ones who were headed in the Ivy League direction. So for these kids to claim ignorance is a bit much.

And as I argued earlier, I don't care if they were COMPLETELY ignorant, unaware and innocent. The simple fact is that they displaced a qualified and deserving student. For this reason, I think each and every student placed under false pretenses and faked grades and/or scores needs the boot.

These well-off kids also need to understand that life is unfair. They need to suffer some of life's unfairness. These rich kids will do just fine in life attending a school for which they're qualified. It isn't the end of their lives; they aren't being falsely imprisoned. They're simply not continuing their education at a school they're unqualified to attend. They will learn through this experience what other less fortunate kids experience all the time. That your SAT or ACT scores aren't as high because your parents couldn't afford a tutor or prep class. Or that your school, situated in a poor neighborhood, doesn't offer the Advanced Placement classes the rich schools have. Or that you couldn't realize that athletic scholarship because your parents couldn't chauffeur you to and from sports practice daily, nor could they afford the brutal weekend competitive sports schedule - because they were WORKING!!! This is what kids of lesser means experience on a daily basis.

So let's let this situation be a really good lesson for the rich fortunate kids - give them a chance to face a little adversity and come out on top. (After all, we tell the poor kids they should overcome adversity too, right?)
cal83dls79
Ok, I slogged thru your post , I agree but be more concise
OneTopOneChickenApple
oskirules said:

Big C said:

USC dropouts

The damages so far?

Singer - $500,000
Year and half of USC for both daughters - $90,000+
Lawyers fees (no idea about fees, just guessing. Assuming a plea agreement, no trial) - $500-750,000
Lost television contracts - $Millions
Lost online product deals - $Hundreds of thousand
Fines - $$$

All to get your daughters into college, when they didn't even want to go.
sosheezy
Dylan Klumph peripherally associated
bear2034
Six Harvard Alumni Charged in Nationwide Admissions Fraud Scandal

"Harvard prefers a secret admissions process, because bribes, apparently."
okaydo
Big C said:

Watch this:

Then watch this:

okaydo

oskirules said:

Big C said:

USC dropouts

The damages so far?

Singer - $500,000
Year and half of USC for both daughters - $90,000+
Lawyers fees (no idea about fees, just guessing. Assuming a plea agreement, no trial) - $500-750,000
Lost television contracts - $Millions
Lost online product deals - $Hundreds of thousand
Fines - $$$

All to get your daughters into college, when they didn't even want to go.

They probably have a combined net worth of upwards of $100 million.

That's why when people say they shouldn't serve jail time, they should get a hefty fine, I shoot back: They got into trouble by using their money. They shouldn't be allowed to get out of trouble by using their money. They should serve some (at least a few months) jail time. There should be actual punishment. Or else these types of crimes will persist.
cal83dls79
Agreed. But remember hubris
OneTopOneChickenApple
Yes. But I'm skeptical of actual jail time for them.
tequila4kapp
The story makes me so angry. They should be glad I'm in the wrong state to be on their jury.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.