OT: Oregon Should boyott Auburn game

12,530 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Another Bear
Big Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Just a correction...

Roe v. Wade is federally protected as a result of a decision by the US Supreme Court. Therefore, the first step in litigation (when a state passes a law regarding this issue) is to a Federal District Court. A decision at that level can be appealed to a Federal Appellate Court. Any decision made by that court would only apply to the states within the jurisdiction of that court. Of course, any decision made by that court could be appealed to the US Supreme Court. However, if the Supremes decline to take the case, the decision made by the Appeals Court would be binding (again, only to the states within the jurisdiction of that court). The rest of the states would continue to be bound by Roe v. Wade.

Exactly. And the odds are that the Circuit/Appellate will strike the law down. Roberts wants noting to do with Roe it if the vote is only going to be 5-4. The Supremes will punt and the Appellate court decision (of overturn) will stand. Take it to the bank. This is much ado about nothing.
oski003

"It's unlikely to be these cases that are the ones that overrule or decimate Roe v. Wade," says Brigitte Amiri, deputy director of the ACLU's Reproductive Freedom Project. But there are other, more subtle abortion restrictions being challenged in court that could provide a more attractive opportunity for the Supreme Court to strike down Roe.

Here's a rundown of the Alabama law's fate, its chances of making it to the Supreme Court, and the possibility that Roe could be reversed.

Will the Alabama law actually ban abortions in the state?

According to its text, it would. It would make all abortions illegal, including those in cases of rape or incest, unless the mother's health is in danger. It's the most extreme of a string of extreme anti-abortion laws passed in recent months in Georgia, Ohio, Utah, Arkansas, and Mississippi, all supposedly aimed at overturning Roe.

But like the Alabama statute, these laws are unconstitutional. The legislators know it. Federal judges know it. That's why they've consistently and repeatedly struck down such banseven conservative judges, who have conceded that as much as they hate Roe, they are still required to follow it as Supreme Court precedent. The legal record on this front is so universally settled that last November, a federal judge struck down Mississippi's 15-week abortion ban and asked in frustration, "Why are we here?"

For more than 40 years, the Supreme Court has said, and reaffirmed, that the government does not have any compelling interest that would justify violating a woman's due process rights by interfering in her health care decisions before a fetus can survive outside the womb, at around 23 or 24 weeks. The Alabama measure and other similar state laws that try to ban abortion at six weeks or 15 weeks or 18 weeks are unconstitutional as a result.

Judge Carlton Reeves testily explained in the Mississippi case last year that in 1992, the court reaffirmed Roe in Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey, which stated explicitly, "Before viability, the State's interests are not strong enough to support a prohibition of abortion or the imposition of a substantial obstacle to the woman's effective right to elect the procedure." He ticked off a list of previous attempts at pre-viability bans passed in other states, all of which had been overturned by different circuit courts, including some of the most conservative ones.

"The real reason we are here is simple," Reeves wrote. "The State chose to pass a law it knew was unconstitutional to endorse a decades-long campaign, fueled by national interest groups, to ask the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade. This Court follows the commands of the Supreme Court and the dictates of the United States Constitution, rather than the disingenuous calculations of the Mississippi Legislature."
Ncsf
Bears2thDoc said:

I guess I'm not aware of home/home vs Auburn.
Yeah we should boycott that.... if the law still stands at that time
Keep it on sports. Don't spew your personal and political beliefs on here. If it's not sports we don't want to hear it. This is a place to get away from this BS!
BearlyCareAnymore

Quote:

The NY law repealed Section 4164 of the NY public health law. 4164 explicitly guaranteed that a child born alive had certain rights, such as the right to medical care from a separate doctor, that medical records of all attempts to save the baby had to be maintained, etc. Eliminating those guarantees allows babies who survive abortions to be allowed to die by withholding medical care. That's infanticide.

No it isn't. There is a reasonable debate to be had about whether the safeguards should be removed, but removing the safeguards does not make infanticide legal. Infanticide is murder or manslaughter. If you look at the criminal statute on burglary, it doesn't say, "and once you break into the house, if you kill someone it is murder". It is covered by the murder statute. Not mentioning killing someone in every law doesn't legalize it. Eliminating those guarantees in the law does not allow babies who survive abortions to be allowed to die unless those involved want to risk prosecution under murder or manslaughter statutes or at minimum medical malpractice charges and loss of license.

Rightly or wrongly, the concern among those that wish to change the laws in this fashion is that lawyers and politicians become involved in a medical decision. It is not that they wish to allow infanticide. More on this below.

Quote:

Virginia...I don't have time to look it up - and I don't remember the exact language - but the bill's sponsor was caught on film effectively saying the bill would allow born alive babies to be terminated. (that's my admittedly very loose summary). The governor subsequently choose words that most people understood to say would allow the mother and doctor to decide what to do with a baby that survived an abortion (i.e., terminate it). That's infanticide.

I told you the language. Feel free to look it up when you have time. The bill's sponsor was not "caught on film effectively saying the bill would allow born alive babies to be terminated". That is more than a "loose" summary. It is a completely incorrect summary. First of all, she wasn't "caught on film". She was testifying in legislative committee. A legislator was questioning her about the impacts of her bill. The question was not whether a born alive baby could be terminated. The legislator (in my opinion correctly) was questioning the impact of the change in the standard adding the mental safety language and reducing the number of doctors to one from three. What he got her to say was that because the existing law and the bill allow for an abortion in the third trimester, and neither defined an end point to the third trimester, that a woman who is dilated and starting labor is still in the third trimester so one doctor could authorize an abortion on a woman starting labor for mental risk. It was never said that a baby born alive could be left to die. You can easily find the video. And to that point, I'm not sure she is correct about that. It seems to me a defect in the law that the end of the trimester is not defined. So it is a matter of interpretation whether a woman in labor is still in the third trimester or if the third trimester ends once labor starts. But, by the way, that is a defect existing in the law, not the proposed bill. It still exists. If you were to ask the same question of the existing law, the answer would be the same. You just need 3 doctors to do it and there is no mental risk standard that could be applied.

As for Northam, no that is not what "most people" understood. That is what "most people" predisposed to that position thought. I can tell you that most people predisposed to my position do not understand it that way. The question and answer are below:

Reporter: There was a very contentious committee hearing yesterday when Fairfax County Delegate Kathy Tran made her case for lifting restrictions on third-trimester abortions, as well as other restrictions now in place. And she was pressed by a Republican delegate about whether her bill would permit an abortion even as a woman is, essentially, dilating, ready to give birth. And she answered that it would permit an abortion at that stage of labor. Do you support her measure? And explain her answer.
Ralph Northam: You know, I wasn't there, Julie, and I certainly can't speak for Delegate Tran, but I would tell you one, the first thing I would say is this is why decisions such as this should be made by [healthcare] providers, physicians, and the mothers and fathers that are involved. There are you know when we talk about third-trimester abortions, these are done with the consent of, obviously, the mother, with the consent of the physicians, more than one physician by the way. And it's done in cases where there may be severe deformities, there may be a fetus that's non-viable. So in this particular example, if a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered, the infant would be kept comfortable, the infant would be resuscitated if that's what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother. So I think this was really blown out of proportion

Firstly, Northam is an idiot and should know to assume nothing and be very precise in his language when he talks about a charged issue like abortion. But I would argue that those arguing that he meant committing infanticide are reading it in a vacuum and not reading it in the context of circumstances he is referring to. Actually, I don't think they are reading it in a vacuum. I think they are reading it in light of a belief that some people just love abortions and baby killing. Northam is a doctor. In the real world, no one carries a baby to term, goes into labor, and then says, hey Doc, I want an abortion. Every single time this happens, you have a mother who like an hour before thought and hoped she was delivering a healthy baby. Tragedy has struck. Either the fetus is dying or the mother is in serious jeopardy or both. Those parents want that baby to survive. Northam references severe deformities and non-viability. He talks about it being done with the consent of the mother AND more than one physician. What is going on in that room is not a mother and father deciding whether they feel like taking care of a baby and if they decide no, let it die. What is going on is two parents who wanted a healthy baby have been presented the tragic circumstance of having to decide what to do about a dying baby that will never live. Do they resuscitate if the baby expires? Do they hook it up to life support? All the questions you have to face when a loved one is in the hospital dying. Only no one takes interest in it if it is a regular adult. I do have to say in Northam's defense, you kind of don't think people are going to think you are openly talking about murdering a human, so you don't usually think you have to be clear about that.

There is a reason why people predisposed to being more concerned about the mother propose laws like these two. They do not want politics to interfere with a medical decision that is being made by a couple and their doctors under tragic circumstances. I can tell you from my family there is right to be concerned. My mother had three children in her life. She also had miscarriages. Between her second and third child, she had a medical emergency. My father was told by the doctor "the baby is already gone. We could lose the mother also if we don't abort. What do you want to do?" My father and mother made the only reasonable decision available. In California at that time, the doctor had to go to the hospital board. The lawyers said no. The doctor was incensed. As an added complication, my mother had delivered twice by C-section already. At that time, the standard practice was on 3rd c-section, they tied the mother's tubes because they believed any more would be dangerous. So in addition to her life being in jeopardy, my mother was faced with not being able to have any more children because she was required to take a dead fetus to term. The decision was taken completely out of the hands of my parents and the doctors for political and legal reasons. The "good news" is that my mother miscarried early enough in pregnancy that a c-section was not necessary. She went on to have a third child that would annoy people on sports boards with longwinded and prolific posting. However, I will tell you that decades after that, I heard her crying over that baby having seen it while she miscarried. Something that never needed to have happened.

It is people like my parents that these laws are proposed for. People who experience tragedy and who have that tragedy made worse by outsiders who interfere for their own political, legal or moral reasons. Absolutely there are two sides to that issue. I understand the desire to balance protecting the almost fully formed fetus or the new born. That being said, for the most part that is mainly "necessary" because of the demonization of doctors and pro choice people that allows pro-life people to think that parents and doctors actually want to terminate late term fetuses or even worse let live babies die. This is not a first trimester abortion done by someone who doesn't want the baby. People are not having late term abortions because they want them.

The arguments about these laws being infanticide have been debunked over and over. Literally no one wants to legalize infanticide. If they did, how do you think that would play politically to the 99%+ that would be horrified. I'm sorry, but when someone accuses the other side of something not only so horrible, but so stupid, you should seriously question it. Frankly, it is a sign that all perspective has been lost that anyone actually believes that infanticide is part of the debate.
sycasey
tequila4kapp said:

The NY law repealed Section 4164 of the NY public health law. 4164 explicitly guaranteed that a child born alive had certain rights, such as the right to medical care from a separate doctor, that medical records of all attempts to save the baby had to be maintained, etc. Eliminating those guarantees allows babies who survive abortions to be allowed to die by withholding medical care. That's infanticide.
Where are you getting your information? I don't think this summary is accurate at all.

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/02/addressing-new-yorks-new-abortion-law/

Quote:

New York's RHA also repealed a section of the public health law that required the following: that abortions after 12 weeks be performed in a hospital; that an additional physician be present for abortions after 20 weeks to care for "any live birth that is the result of the abortion"; and that such babies be provided "immediate legal protection under the laws of the state of New York."
There appears to be very little in the way of statistics about such scenarios.
A spokesperson for the Guttmacher Institute, for example, told us she was not aware of any data on the topic "because if it happens, it would be extremely rare."
Asked about the rationale for removing the section from the law, Justin Flagg, a spokesman for New York State Sen. Liz Krueger, who sponsored the new law, said that "the requirement that a second physician be present did not reflect medical realities of abortion later in pregnancy nor modern standards of medical care, and was legally redundant and unnecessary."
"Modern abortion techniques do not result in live birth; however, in the great unlikelihood that a baby was born alive, the medical provider and team of medical support staff would provide all necessary medical care, as they would in the case of any live birth," he wrote in an email. "The RHA does not change standard medical practices. To reiterate, any baby born alive in New York State would be treated like any other live birth, and given appropriate medical care. This was the case before the RHA, and it remains the case now."
New York defines a live birth as "the complete expulsion or extraction from its mother of a product of conception, irrespective of the duration of pregnancy, which, after such separation, breathes or shows any other evidence of life such as beating of the heart, pulsation of the umbilical cord, or definite movement of voluntary muscles, whether or not the umbilical cord has been cut or the placenta is attached; each product of such a birth is considered live born."

GBear4Life
sycasey said:

I mean, you realize that not everyone has the means to move wherever they want whenever they want, right?
That's an irrelevant factor to any state law being passed. Yes, the nature of legislation is to compel you to do or not do something and attach them to punishment. It's not to ensure that people who don't like the law can conveniently travel to a neighboring state to be free from it.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

I mean, you realize that not everyone has the means to move wherever they want whenever they want, right?
That's an irrelevant factor to any state law being passed. Yes, the nature of legislation is to compel you to do or not do something and attach them to punishment. It's not to ensure that people who don't like the law can conveniently travel to a neighboring state to be free from it.

That wasn't the question, though. The question was why should someone in another state care about a law passed in Alabama.
TomBear
Totally fed up with every aspect of life having to be seen through the prism of politics.

Play the game and debate the issue(s) elsewhere.
GBear4Life
Unit2Sucks said:

This law is an early attempt to establish Christian Sharia law in the US. No one is requiring Christian people to have abortions so this is just a way to give their beliefs the force of law.
LOL
cbbass1
First, these state laws will be struck down in Federal district courts.

But more importantly, take a look at the bigger picture. Isn't it strange that the legislatures of Talibama & Misery are passing these laws at the same time? If the overall plan was to overturn Roe, this ain't the way to do it. This is a Trump Hail Mary pass.

Trump knows that he's f--ked, with Mueller & McGahn set to testify against him, and with the impeachment process about to start. So he's doing what he always does -- he starts brush fires. And the brush fires take over the news cycle.

Which is why we're discussing Roe v. Wade, and not Impeachment.

You think the "trade war" with China is about trade? Nope. It's Trump playing 'chicken'. There won't be an agreement unless Trump is removed from office.

You think Trump & Bolton won't take us to the brink of war with Iran?

Trump will be holding a gun to the global economy, telling Nancy Pelosi & the Democrats, "Back off, or I'll crash the markets!" Within a couple weeks, the Democratic Party donors will be pleading with Nancy to back off. If they haven't been already. They do like their tax cuts.

Trump knows that he's not going down alone. He'll be taking the entire Republican Party -- and the markets -- down with him. And he knows that the Fed can only help so much.

Just wait 'til the House votes to impeach. You ain't seen nuthin' yet.

You might want to take some $$ off the table before the sh-t hits the fan....
TomBear
cbbass1, thank you for the humor. Now, back to the subject of the game........
MugsVanSant
If Roe v Wade is overturned, as it should be because it is a prime example of judicial activism, it will not be the end to abortion on demand. The result will be that the individual states will make their own laws as the authors of the Constitution intended. Women living in states where abortion is prohibited will simply make their way to states where it is allows or even paid for by the taxpayers.

That being said, kindly keep your political correctness to yourself and do not pollute my beloved game with it.
sycasey
MugsVanSant said:

If Roe v Wade is overturned, as it should be because it is a prime example of judicial activism, it will not be the end to abortion on demand. The result will be that the individual states will make their own laws as the authors of the Constitution intended. Women living in states where abortion is prohibited will simply make their way to states where it is allows or even paid for by the taxpayers.
Women of means will do that.
GMP
MugsVanSant said:

That being said, kindly keep your political correctness to yourself and do not pollute my beloved game with it.
What was "politically correct" in this thread? Why do the people who most dislike the concept of political correctness most misunderstand what it is?
71Bear
MugsVanSant said:

You might want to review the Supreme Court's decision in 1819 regarding this issue (McCullough v. Maryland). Also, the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution might help you better under why states have limited power regarding issues relating to "equal protection under the law".

Just a tip for the future, when citing the U.S. Constitution, always make sure that you read subsequent amendments and Supreme Court decisions.

Another Bear
These 25 Republicans all white men just voted to ban abortion in Alabama

BearlyCareAnymore
sycasey said:

MugsVanSant said:

And what is a 17 year old going to do.

Besides, the question is if it is a right. If it is a right people can't be required to move for it. How the Constitution addresses individual rights is a much longer debate. It is not simply did the founding fathers intend for abortion to be a right. There are a lot of things they didn't contemplate. It was very clear in the debate over the Bill of Rights that they did not want the Bill of Rights to be limiting. That is why the Bill of Rights are amendments. The debate was between those who were afraid listing rights would imply no other rights existed and those that wanted to make certain that these particular rights were granted as they were violated by the King. Initially those who did not want to list individual rights win out. People seem to forget that our founding fathers came from an English legal tradition where the Constitution is an unwritten set of cultural norms that are guided by basic principles but also grow and change. For instance, the right to freedom of speech as we conceive of it today is completely different from their conception of it and no one today would accept their view of it.
Big Dog
Quote:

Besides, the question is if it is a right. If it is a right people can't be required to move for it.

That is the question that Alabama is challenging. Since SCOTUS has been ruling it IS a right for 40+years, it is highly unlikely that a District Crt will deviate from Roe. I have no doubt that this new law will be over-turned before it takes effect, so no moving necessary. OTOH, if the Circuit decides that it is not a right, then the concept of moving is irrelevant.
hanky1
cbbass1 said:

First, these state laws will be struck down in Federal district courts.

But more importantly, take a look at the bigger picture. Isn't it strange that the legislatures of Talibama & Misery are passing these laws at the same time? If the overall plan was to overturn Roe, this ain't the way to do it. This is a Trump Hail Mary pass.

Trump knows that he's f--ked, with Mueller & McGahn set to testify against him, and with the impeachment process about to start. So he's doing what he always does -- he starts brush fires. And the brush fires take over the news cycle.

Which is why we're discussing Roe v. Wade, and not Impeachment.

You think the "trade war" with China is about trade? Nope. It's Trump playing 'chicken'. There won't be an agreement unless Trump is removed from office.

You think Trump & Bolton won't take us to the brink of war with Iran?

Trump will be holding a gun to the global economy, telling Nancy Pelosi & the Democrats, "Back off, or I'll crash the markets!" Within a couple weeks, the Democratic Party donors will be pleading with Nancy to back off. If they haven't been already. They do like their tax cuts.

Trump knows that he's not going down alone. He'll be taking the entire Republican Party -- and the markets -- down with him. And he knows that the Fed can only help so much.

This is laughable. Your hatred is clouding rational thought.
BearGoggles
Go!Bears said:

BearGoggles said:

As a country, we need to stop demonizing and boycotting people who in good faith have different political/religious/moral/legal views. It is toxic.

I am fine with people having whatever views they want. But this is a law. Those people are forcing their view onto other people. I think resisting that oppression is appropriate.
This is absurd. Every law involves the majority "forcing their views" onto other people who disagree. Are you really saying that you are "oppressed" by all laws you don't like?

There are many moral judgments in the law such as those criminalizing drug use, incest, child molestation, prostitution, etc. As others have pointed out, prostitution is illegal in California and most states and the Feds spend big money fighting human trafficking. Why aren't we all boycotting Nevada where it is legal?

While I don't subscribe to it, there is a principled moral and legal basis for supporting the Alabama law and other laws restricting abortion. There is nuance - majorities of the US support legal abortion in the first trimester and oppose it in the last trimester. Given that is the case, it is really just a question of where people draw that line and, not surprisingly, some people want to draw the line at conception. They are not bad people - they just have a different view.
Bear19
Another Bear said:

Even Pat Robertson says the new Alabama abortion law has gone too far.
Quote:

Televangelist Pat Robertson said he thinks Alabama went "too far" with a controversial abortion bill that could punish doctors who perform abortions with life in prison.

"I think Alabama has gone too far," he said Wednesday during an episode of "The 700 Club.""There's no exception for rape or incest. It's an extreme law and they want to challenge Roe v. Wade."

When Part Robertson says Alabama has gone too far, you know this is totally off the rails.
Bear19
cbbass1 said:

Since the Senate is still has a Republican majority, an Impeachment action by the House would be an exercise in futility. And it could catapult Trump back into the White House with a high backlash vote in the states split 50/50. The evidence would have to be clearly, unequivocally plain.

Be careful what you wish for.
BearGoggles
71Bear said:

MugsVanSant said:

You might want to review the Supreme Court's decision in 1819 regarding this issue (McCullough v. Maryland). Also, the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution might help you better under why states have limited power regarding issues relating to "equal protection under the law".

Just a tip for the future, when citing the U.S. Constitution, always make sure that you read subsequent amendments and Supreme Court decisions.

Actually, what MugsVanSant wrote in the first paragraph is 100% correct. If Roe is overturned, then the 14th amendment and McCulloch v. Maryland are not implicated because there would be no federal right to abortion and no federal law purporting to grant an abortion right on a nationwide basis. Congress and a president might enact such a law (seems doubtful given current political realities) and, if so, McCulloch might be implicated in determining if Congress had the power to do so.

And to be clear, Roe is not based in any way on the necessary and proper clause implicated in McCulloch v. Maryland. Roe did pay lip service to the 14th amendment, but it is not entirely clear if the right to privacy is grounded in that amendment (one of the criticisms of the decision).
Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles said:

This is absurd. Every law involves the majority "forcing their views" onto other people who disagree. Are you really saying that you are "oppressed" by all laws you don't like?

Your position is absurd. There are many laws which protect individual rights and do not force any majority views on others. Laws protect any number of individual rights are welcomed by majority and minority alike. Is there a minority that I'm not aware of that feels that protection against warrantless search and seizure is forced upon them? Are there people who feel that drunk driving or fraud should be legal? Do I need to go on?

These restrictive anti-choice laws are an attempt to impose Christian beliefs and pretending they are something else is extremely disingenuous. If something similar was being pushed by Muslims I have every confidence republicans would shout about Sharia laws and do everything in their power to fight it.
BearGoggles
OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

MugsVanSant said:

And what is a 17 year old going to do.

Besides, the question is if it is a right. If it is a right people can't be required to move for it. How the Constitution addresses individual rights is a much longer debate. It is not simply did the founding fathers intend for abortion to be a right. There are a lot of things they didn't contemplate. It was very clear in the debate over the Bill of Rights that they did not want the Bill of Rights to be limiting. That is why the Bill of Rights are amendments. The debate was between those who were afraid listing rights would imply no other rights existed and those that wanted to make certain that these particular rights were granted as they were violated by the King. Initially those who did not want to list individual rights win out. People seem to forget that our founding fathers came from an English legal tradition where the Constitution is an unwritten set of cultural norms that are guided by basic principles but also grow and change. For instance, the right to freedom of speech as we conceive of it today is completely different from their conception of it and no one today would accept their view of it.
You have made several posts along these lines as to whether the list of rights in the Constitution and Bill of Rights is limited. I agree with your conclusion that the founders did not intend to describe "all rights" and/or to address all issues that might arise in the future (such as abortion) - I think the constitution was intended to establish the limited rights of a federal government and guarantee certain rights that were considered particularly important. The question is how did the founders expect the inherent rights not found in the constitution (i.e., all rights not expressly set forth in the document) to be confirmed and/or defined?

The founders answered that question pretty specifically in the Ninth and Tenth Amendments:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

In effect, they knew what they didn't know and didn't say. They expected that the rights not explicitly protected or created in the constitution would be reserved to, defined, and decided by the states and the people - not federal judges. Contrary to the current reality, they didn't envision a dominant federal government with a mission to enforce unspecified rights. They also fully expected that states would have differing laws that might conflict (slavery being a notable example).

To tie it back to your post above, how are the basic principles in the Constitution supposed to "grow and change"? I think its clear the founders rejected the English approach - under the constitution courts are very specifically not supposed to create (or in your words "change") laws. And for matters not within federal (i.e., congressional jurisdiction), those were reserved to the states and people. In addition, Erie purportedly eliminated the right of federal courts to plenary review of state law issues - there is not supposed to be federal common law akin to English common law. States are supposed to be left alone absent a clear substantive federal question.

If federal courts were empowered to grow and change the law by finding new rights, why bother with the 13th, 14th, 15th, 18th, 22nd and other amendments? Why are some rights required to be memorialized in formal constitutional amendments (e.g., women's right to vote) and other rights to be found by judicial fiat (abortion, gay marriage, etc.)? Where is the line? What limits are there on the judiciary and why do we even bother to have congress (an apt question in recent years, for other reasons)?

In the case of abortion, it is difficult to argue that privacy/abortion is found in the constitution (I think your post above acknowledges that or even that it "grows" from an identifiable right. The Roe decision itself (and Griswold upon which it is based) is considered particularly weak in that regard - even liberal scholars acknowledge that. Laurence Tribe "One of the most curious things about Roe is that, behind its own verbal smokescreen, the substantive judgment on which it rests is nowhere to be found."
cbbass1
hanky1 said:

cbbass1 said:

First, these state laws will be struck down in Federal district courts.....

This is laughable. Your hatred is clouding rational thought.
No hatred, I can assure you. Just rational thought.

Trump is working overtime to accumulate leverage in order to protect himself.

If the Dems don't impeach, it'll be the end of the republic, and democracy as we know it.

Just like Rome.

If they do start impeachment proceedings, expect markets to crash. He's already referred to this in an interview. It's extortion on a global scale.

That's why the Dems aren't jumping in to impeach. Their donors would rather maintain the status quo with Trump (or Biden) than Bernie Sanders.

oski003
we went full off topic. woot!
BancroftBear93
Sorry ma"am, you don't get to decide who has guns Thank god. Go be fearful.
BancroftBear93
YYou're sucj=h a *****. Really
Another Bear
BancroftBear93 said:

Sorry ma"am, you don't get to decide who has guns Thank god. Go be fearful.
A case of "small hands"? Yeah well good luck with that laddie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.