Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

4,007 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by smh
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/21/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-review-tarantino-dazzling-dicaprio-pitt?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
Here are the pictures I took on the set before security told me "you can't take pictures."

Rather than use CGI, Tarantino would put up old billboards around town.
Or repaint stuff to look like how they used to look.

bearister
Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing those. Film got a 7 minute standing ovation at Cannes. I realize there are many influences for the lead characters but I heard Leo's character is loosely based on Burt Reynolds and Pitt's on Hal Needham.

I have always thought Damien Lewis had a Mcquuen vibe. I guess Tarantino did too. I thought Canadian boxer/actor Andre Brooks did a good job channeling McQueen in Chasing Bullitt despite the cheesy nature of the film. It will be interesting to compare Damien Lewis' rendition.

YamhillBear
I thought the old RTD busses were gold, not green?
okaydo
YamhillBear said:

I thought the old RTD busses were gold, not green?

As far as I can tell, based on brief Googling, well, I'm confused.

Here's the green bus in action for the movie (go to the 5:00 mark). But at the 2:51 mark they have a gold bus.

Here's an old video on Youtube.

Here's a 70s commercial

YamhillBear
Well, in that old YouTube footage (LAMTA SCRTD Spearmint Buses 1963-1975), at the 1:20 mark there is a green one and a gold one. Seems like the footage of green buses show older styles and gold buses newer looking, so I guess there was a switchover somewhere in there.
bearister
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7131622/

Highest IMDb fan rating I have seen: 9.8

I have yet to see a movie still of Damien Lewis as Steve McQueen. The picture below is from the cover of Esquire a few years ago.

GBear4Life
Am I the only one who thinks this movie seems lame and boring? I had the same thoughts after previews of Wolf of Wall St. I read the wiki page for this movie and the plot it lays out seems trivial.

I don't think Tarantino has been anything special since Pulp Fiction. I suppose what he created in Kill Bill was cinematically impressive, but the story and writing has been boring IMO. I feel like Tarantino movies post Pulp and Reservoir Dogs are the result of an adulated artist who can't smell the stink of his own poop and everybody is too busy in awe of them to reign his "artistry" in (I mean critics).
AunBear89
YamhillBear said:

Well, in that old YouTube footage (LAMTA SCRTD Spearmint Buses 1963-1975), at the 1:20 mark there is a green one and a gold one. Seems like the footage of green buses show older styles and gold buses newer looking, so I guess there was a switchover somewhere in there.

Perhaps express routes were different color?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
Quentin Tarantino on how spaghetti westerns shaped modern cinema | The Spectator

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/quentin-tarantino-on-how-spaghetti-westerns-shaped-modern-cinema/

smh
burrrp (b brought me here)

https://bearinsider.com/forums/6/topics/97141/replies/1785160
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.