PAC 12 announces early season kickoff times

5,715 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Golden One
petalumabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MugsVanSant said:

Why are we playing UC Davis and North Texas? There is nothing in it for us but a risk of injury and two wasted game days. If we win it's "So what?" If we lose it's a big humiliation. I will not be attending either game. I cannot get excited about beating either team and there are much better games on TV that I don't have to drive through traffic for two hours each way to get to.
Make sure you give your tickets to a Cal fan....
OdontoBear66
Pac 12 schools have alums all across the US. So you announce games late in the FB year and sometimes just days in advance, and you eliminate a large number of alums who would make travel plans in advance to enjoy Cal FB. In doing so what do you lose in alum interest in their alma mater. Oh well, I will stay home and pay the Cable Gods and not go back on campus, 'cause I live far away and they never let me know before buying season tickets when the game times will be.

Now for locals (Bay Area alums) this is not as big a deal. But I will buy single games and travel to Memorial after I find game times, but why buy a season ticket. Now, I am sure the reply to this will be the TV money is much bigger than anything ever contributed by what I suggest, but FB and BB games tie me to my history with Cal much more than anything else. Let the dollar dictate and you lose in ways that may not be measurable easily. The size of the TV contracts are easy to measure.
oskidunker
MugsVanSant said:

Why are we playing UC Davis and North Texas? There is nothing in it for us but a risk of injury and two wasted game days. If we win it's "So what?" If we lose it's a big humiliation. I will not be attending either game. I cannot get excited about beating either team and there are much better games on TV that I don't have to drive through traffic for two hours each way to get to.

The problem. I have is I would rather watch Cal play little sisters of the poor than Alabama vs Clemson etc. just no interest . Great seats. great people around me and good weather.
Go Bears!
BearSD
OdontoBear66 said:

Pac 12 schools have alums all across the US. So you announce games late in the FB year and sometimes just days in advance, and you eliminate a large number of alums who would make travel plans in advance to enjoy Cal FB. In doing so what do you lose in alum interest in their alma mater. Oh well, I will stay home and pay the Cable Gods and not go back on campus, 'cause I live far away and they never let me know before buying season tickets when the game times will be.

Now for locals (Bay Area alums) this is not as big a deal. But I will buy single games and travel to Memorial after I find game times, but why buy a season ticket. Now, I am sure the reply to this will be the TV money is much bigger than anything ever contributed by what I suggest, but FB and BB games tie me to my history with Cal much more than anything else. Let the dollar dictate and you lose in ways that may not be measurable easily. The size of the TV contracts are easy to measure.
A few years ago, it was reported that over 30% of the fans at Cal football games live at least two hours away from the stadium. The same is probably true for most Pac-12 teams, given the distances between places in the west. And as you say, the conference has basically written off ticket sales to those fans in pursuit of TV dollars, because people get tired of not being able to make travel arrangements until 6 days before a game.

Obviously the TV money is a nice short term boost, but the shell game they play with game times is just one more big factor that gets people out of the habit of ever going to the stadium. They've put themselves on a downward slope that will wind up with stadiums never being more than half full, because they've made it so much more enjoyable for former ticket buyers to watch from home.

71Bear
BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

A few years ago, it was reported that over 30% of the fans at Cal football games live at least two hours away from the stadium. The same is probably true for most Pac-12 teams, given the distances between places in the west. And as you say, the conference has basically written off ticket sales to those fans in pursuit of TV dollars, because people get tired of not being able to make travel arrangements until 6 days before a game.

Obviously the TV money is a nice short term boost, but the shell game they play with game times is just one more big factor that gets people out of the habit of ever going to the stadium. They've put themselves on a downward slope that will wind up with stadiums never being more than half full, because they've made it so much more enjoyable for former ticket buyers to watch from home.

With the traffic as bad as it is now, you could live in El Cerrito and be two hours away.

BearSD
71Bear said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

With the traffic as bad as it is now, you could live in El Cerrito and be two hours away.

OK, but at least BART is still really fast... oh, wait, never mind...
Golden One
71Bear said:

Take the Arlington from El Cerrito to Berkeley and you avoid all of the traffic. It's an easy 20 minute drive.
71Bear
Golden One said:

71Bear said:

Take the Arlington from El Cerrito to Berkeley and you avoid all of the traffic. It's an easy 20 minute drive.
I don't live in El Cerrito. Heck, other than driving through the city on 1-80, I can't remember ever going there. Besides, I was just kidding (see emoticon).....
oskidunker
Any game after 12:30 means bad traffic from peninsula to Berkeley. And I go hours early. Wont take bart.
Go Bears!
Another Bear
The Cal Athletic Dept is pathetic and low digit. The game day experience is so weak and just isn't' special enough. It needs to bring valet parking to Cal football games and California Memorial Stadium immediately. The peasants are not happy.
72CalBear
MugsVanSant said:

Um, both teams present problems even against our defense. They are both presumed to do very well in their conferences and have excellent QBs. Our offense is unproven. I can humbly recall games against EWS and Sac State where we didn't win "that" easily and we often sputter in our early season gimmees. I am definitely going to be at opening day vs the Aggies!
Golden One
Another Bear said:

The Cal Athletic Dept needs to bring valet parking to Cal football games and California Memorial Stadium immediately.

Yeah, sure. And the valets are all going to be stacked, topless females.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.