The Cheez-It Bowl and the P12 are getting a divorce

3,676 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bear19
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here is your new bowl line-up beginning after the 2020 season.

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-game-lineup-for-next-six-seasons-to-be-announced-06-03-2019/
sp4149
Hmmn, 7 more years of the Holiday Bowl, now to find a stadium, or build a new one.
hanky1
The biggest news in this is that LA is getting a bowl.
Clevo
Also it looks like we're finally getting a bowl season matchup with the SEC, at least some of the years
71Bear
hanky1 said:

Yep. The old Las Vegas Bowl match-up is moving to LA and Vegas is getting a big upgrade. I can't imagine the LA Bowl will generate a lot of enthusiasm given the fact that the MWC and the P12 play a lot of OOC games each year. OTOH, the SEC/P12 games in LV could create a lot of interest if the match-ups are high end stuff.
Sebastabear
Well at least the Cheez-It Bowl went out on a high note. And by "high" I of course mean "stoned to the bone."
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

Well at least the Cheez-It Bowl went out on a high note. And by "high" I of course mean "stoned to the bone."
It will still be around just without the presence of a P12 team.
ncbears
So, three bowl games against the ACC?
One, every two years, against the SEC?

I think its going to be interesting to see if the ACC (heck, even the Pac12) are going to have enough teams eligible to fill the tie-in bowls.
bluehenbear
How many of these bowls (besides Rose) will be on New Years Day? Between Xmas and NYD?

How many of these bowls will be at 9am PT? at 8pm PT?
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

hanky1 said:

Yep. The old Las Vegas Bowl match-up is moving to LA and Vegas is getting a big upgrade. I can't imagine the LA Bowl will generate a lot of enthusiasm given the fact that the MWC and the P12 play a lot of OOC games each year. OTOH, the SEC/P12 games in LV could create a lot of interest if the match-ups are high end stuff.

If the Pac team is UCLA or SC LA game will draw. Same with Fresno State and SDSU.

Weather will be better than in the Vegas Bowl.

Vegas Bowl should be a great draw now. If Cal can't go the Rose Bowl that would be my pick.
cal93
We better drop a conference game and add another OOC game to get enough teams qualified to fill 8 bowl slots.
philbert
You mean we won't have any more epic posts like this one?

hanky1 said:
I like the extra cheddar cheese Cheeze-Its.

It makes my fingers dirty when I eat them, but I like licking and sucking on my fingers afterwards to get that cheesy flavor all in my mouth. The cheese is sticky so sometimes I really have to suck hard to get all the cheese off.

Sometimes sucking on my fingers really hard doesn't get all the cheese off so then I have to start rubbing my fingers really hard and fast to get the cheese off. Usually it just falls off and then I can put the cheese in my mouth and eat and swallow it.
BearSD
sp4149 said:

Hmmn, 7 more years of the Holiday Bowl, now to find a stadium, or build a new one.
They won't be without a stadium. The effect of SDSU winning their vote to acquire the stadium site from the city of San Diego is that the current stadium will remain standing indefinitely. SDSU and the city are haggling over the price, which was left to be negotiated by the referendum.

Even after they agree on a price and finalize the deal -- maybe at the end of 2019 -- that just means that SDSU can take however long they want to raise (or, more likely, borrow) the money to build a new stadium and then to build it. Expect 2.5 to 3 years from the time SDSU officially approves funding until the stadium is ready for football. Let's guess funding approved in mid-2020, stadium opens in fall 2023.

I wonder about the bowl game itself. Their sponsorships already shrunk to the point that they had to discontinue their second bowl game, the Poinsettia Bowl. They lost ESPN, and the Holiday Bowl is now marooned on FS1. Guess we'll have to wait and see whether the Holiday Bowl survives in San Diego through the 2026 game.
ColoradoBear
Saw somewhere that the LV Bowl is getting moved to a post Christmas date, which is good.

Looks like Redbox bowl has been taken down a peg. So much for Jed's big plans.

Independence bowl as the #8 tie in? How often will that even get filled?
71Bear
ColoradoBear said:

Saw somewhere that the LV Bowl is getting moved to a post Christmas date, which is good.

Looks like Redbox bowl has been taken down a peg. So much for Jed's big plans.

Independence bowl as the #8 tie in? How often will that even get filled?
The addition of the new LV bowl caused a drop for four bowls - the LA bowl (formerly the LV bowl), Sun, Holiday and Redbox. I think it is a good line-up. As long as the conference members continue to schedule cream puff OOC slates and parity remains the order of the day, the P12 will have no problem filling the 8th slot. Otherwise, there is no hope of independence.......
BearSD
Yeah, the Independence Bowl is a no-lose deal. If the Pac only has 7 bowl teams, then no one has to go to Shreveport, but if the Pac has 8, then the 8th team has a place guaranteed and doesn't have to scramble.
southseasbear
I will miss the Cheez-It/Insight/Copper Bowl. It was an easy drive from L.A., and the stadium, city, and weather were great. We had two good wins there (before Baldwin stupidly called for a 4th string QB to pass the ball while in FG range).

I'm glad we're keeping the Vegas connection: great location, great city.

Alamo is bit far but a great city. Had a good time watching us beat Iowa there in the inaugural edition.

Holiday will be better when the new stadium is built. The current one is horrible. (I've seen Cal lose twice there, and maybe the poor nightlines were a blessing.)

Los Angeles should be good bowl if the stadium lives up to expectations. The weather is great in December, and there are numerous amenities (Disneyland, Universal Studios, etc.) to make it enjoyable for the players. Plus, it may help recruiting in So. Cal.

Sun is an old bowl game (one of the oldest) but it's a terrible location with atrocious weather. And I don't foresee traveling to Shreveport in December.

sp4149
BearSD said:

sp4149 said:

They won't be without a stadium. The effect of SDSU winning their vote to acquire the stadium site from the city of San Diego is that the current stadium will remain standing indefinitely. SDSU and the city are haggling over the price, which was left to be negotiated by the referendum.

Even after they agree on a price and finalize the deal -- maybe at the end of 2019 -- that just means that SDSU can take however long they want to raise (or, more likely, borrow) the money to build a new stadium and then to build it. Expect 2.5 to 3 years from the time SDSU officially approves funding until the stadium is ready for football. Let's guess funding approved in mid-2020, stadium opens in fall 2023.

I wonder about the bowl game itself. Their sponsorships already shrunk to the point that they had to discontinue their second bowl game, the Poinsettia Bowl. They lost ESPN, and the Holiday Bowl is now marooned on FS1. Guess we'll have to wait and see whether the Holiday Bowl survives in San Diego through the 2026 game.

SDSU announced on Thursday announced it had awarded a $250 million contract to Clark Construction for building a new stadium at the SDCCU Stadium site, which a November referendum authorized the city to sell to SDSU.

San Diego State selected Clark Construction to design and build a 35,000 seat stadium as part of its Mission Valley expansion, according to a Feb. 28 announcement.

March 2, 2019

Cutting the stadium seating in half could make the venue sort of like Stanford light. The major difference is that lack of parking at the new stadium site. Qualcomm had ample parking next to the stadium, traffic getting to and from the two nearby freeways was the main complaint. Remove all the parking; the existing transit system is not being expanded to make up the difference. SDSU will not comment on issues like this which will/should be part of the EIR.

Problem is that SDSU is issuing contracts before they are close to finalizing the transfer from the city.
City council and others want to know who will pay for the demolition of the old stadium, SDSU has been reluctant to provide detailed cost information. And the EIR is still being prepared and could expand the project cost. The city is desperate to get rid of the property and probably willing to make a bad deal. Concerned elected officials and concerned citizens appear willing to file discovery lawsuits to reveal how much SDSU will pay and how they will get the funds. Verbage of the referendum appeared to require demolition of the old stadium upon completion of the new stadium. However maintenance and operation of the old stadium is subject to continued negotiations. The stadium can remain standing, even if inoperable or condemned, but that doesn't mean it has to host the Holiday Bowl. That will be subject to negotiations with SDSU which made some election promises that may be difficult to keep.
Bear19
philbert said:

You mean we won't have any more epic posts like this one?

hanky1 said:
I like the extra cheddar cheese Cheeze-Its.

It makes my fingers dirty when I eat them, but I like licking and sucking on my fingers afterwards to get that cheesy flavor all in my mouth. The cheese is sticky so sometimes I really have to suck hard to get all the cheese off.

Sometimes sucking on my fingers really hard doesn't get all the cheese off so then I have to start rubbing my fingers really hard and fast to get the cheese off. Usually it just falls off and then I can put the cheese in my mouth and eat and swallow it.

And so the CheezIt Bowl remains seared in the memories of BI posters, to be passed along in song & tale retold to disbelieving children & grandchildren, rolling their eyes, when the old ones, munching on their favorite flavor of Cheez-Its, repeat for what seems like the hundredth time: "I remember the most vile offensive performance the Bears ever put on the field. . ."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.