Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Muelu Iosefa
Cal Football

Bears Add One of Top LBs in the West in Mililani LB Muelu Iosefa

June 11, 2019

The Bears 2019 recruiting class continues to grow with the commitment of coveted 6-3/220 Mililani (Mililani, Hawaii) High School LB Muelu Iosefa a few days after his official visit to Cal.

“I would like to thank all the coaches and amazing universities who offered and believed in me!” said Iosefa in his announcement on twitter tonight.

“Big thanks to my Mililani coaches -Coach Rod, Coach Ma’a, Coach Matt, Coach Vince, Coach Bruce, etc. Also a hugh thank you to Coach Harry Paaga and Tony Pank Kee from FASTletics!

“With that being said, I have decided to commit to UC Berkeley!

“I am humbled and excited to see what God has in store for me in the next 4 years! Go Bears!”

In Iosefa, the Bears grabbed one of the top linebackers in the West, beating out USC, Oregon, Utah, Nebraska and more. The rising senior displays sure tackling, big hits and sideline-to-sideline pursuit with his defensive play for Mililani. He can excel either inside or outside at the next level.

Iosefa joins fellow LB recruit Andy Alfieri and cornerback Isaiah Young as commits on the defensive side of the ball and eight commitment overall for the 2020 class.

Discussion from...

Bears Add One of Top LBs in the West in Mililani LB Muelu Iosefa

11,657 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TDub
75bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow - it's rare we beat USC for a player. We are legit on the defensive side of the ball - we have the trifecta of talent, coaching, and philosophy.

Congrats Muelu - welcome to Cal and Go Bears!
flounder
impressive offer list. i am stationed at Schofield Barracks so I may have to stop by one Friday on my way home to see him play.
KoreAmBear
flounder said:

impressive offer list. i am stationed at Schofield Barracks so I may have to stop by one Friday on my way home to see him play.

Join us during the season we usually watch at Square Barrels in downtown. Search "Kulapea" FB group. There's a guy on the North Shore that joins us 2-3 times a season. Go Bears!
6956bear
75bear said:

Wow - it's rare we beat USC for a player. We are legit on the defensive side of the ball - we have the trifecta of talent, coaching, and philosophy.

Despite being in a bit of turmoil USC is still a recruiting force. Iosefa's older brother plays at USC and has unique insight into the program. This may be the year to steal a few guys from USC as rumors surround the program regarding Helton's future as well as Swann's along with the myriad scandals they are working through.

This kid is good. Really good commitment.
calumnus
6956bear said:

75bear said:

Despite being in a bit of turmoil USC is still a recruiting force. Iosefa's older brother plays at USC and has unique insight into the program. This may be the year to steal a few guys from USC as rumors surround the program regarding Helton's future as well as Swann's along with the myriad scandals they are working through.

This kid is good. Really good commitment.

Came very close to moving to Mililani 15 years ago, with my daughters eventually going to Mililani High. I was very impressed with the school, probably the best public school in Hawaii, but the team name is "Trojans" and the colors are ketchup and mustard, so beating SC for him is a big deal.
TDub
75bear said:

USC has limited spots available in the 2020 class and they have only a couple of spots for LBs. They, simply put, have a couple of guys that they want more.
edwinbear
Thank you for the gentle, transparently coy reminder that despite holding offers from both institutions, all Cal is *really* getting is USC's scraps.
TDub
edwinbear said:

Thank you for the gentle, transparently coy reminder that despite holding offers from both institutions, all Cal is *really* getting is USC's scraps.

That's a part of the recruiting nuance that needs to be accepted. USC, like, Cal, offers more players than they can take.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.