"Nobody likes" Chip Kelly...

14,896 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TheFiatLux
MSaviolives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GBear4Life said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

Another Bear said:

Here's the thing, he won at Oregon with a system that everyone has caught up to.
Yep. Which is not to say the zone-read can't work if run well. It's basically a staple in today's college game. But it is no longer the schematic advantage that it once was.
Their advantage was executing to perfection AND the pace in which they played (15 seconds in between snaps). Those advantages still exist today.
I much preferred the prairie dog version that Tedford implemented, where we would pretend to hurry to the line for a play, the QB would get under center, and--every freaking time--the QB would then stand up and look to the sideline to get the actual call
Fyght4Cal
dajo9 said:

I'd like for Cal to have a coach we can all grow to hate after a few Rose Bowls
This is funny, but it's not our way. Our Rose Bowl winning coaches were much beloved in the Cal community.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Cal Strong!
Tedford beat him badly last year (38-10 or something like that). Cal Strong wishes Tedford was that strong and Kelly was that weak back when Tedford coached at Cal and Kelly coached at Oregon.
tequila4kapp
Another Bear said:

Here's the thing, he won at Oregon with a system that everyone has caught up to.
100% this. He is no longer doing anything innovative so he's just like everyone else...has to have the best players, has to make the right calls, has to catch breaks if he's going to win.

People forget those early Oregon years where they were the only west coast team running RPO and the only one virtually anywhere doing it at tempo (remember when Oregon complained the refs weren't marking the ball fast enough after plays? Those days are long over).

There is absolutely zero special about The Chipster any longer. It's going to be great watching him lose.
MoragaBear
Staff
Another factor is recruiting. They have the 2nd least commits in the league right now at 7 and average just 2.50 stars per commit. It wasn't much better last year under Kelly at 2.75 per commit, either. That rivals some of Cal's worst classes of the past two decades.
NYCGOBEARS
MoragaBear said:

Another factor is recruiting. They have the 2nd least commits in the league right now at 7 and average just 2.50 stars per commit. It wasn't much better last year under Kelly at 2.75 per commit, either. That rivals some of Cal's worst classes of the past two decades.

Chip is real particular about his OKG.
Goobear
Don't count him out. He is not the norm.
Beardog26
Definitely not counting him out - his track record, particularly in college, demands that respect. That said, the new/different obstacles while coaching UCLA in this era rather than Oregon 6-7 years ago make it fair to question whether he will achieve anywhere close to that same level of success this go-around.
GivemTheAxe
MoragaBear said:

I am not saying that you are wrong; you may be correct and the results of Chip's recruiting this year may turn out the same as last year. But IMO it is way too early to come to any conclusions about recruiting for the this year until the final results for this year until next February. HS seniors often change their minds in November and December
MoragaBear
Staff
Not many people are predicting Kelly and UCLA's fortunes for certain. Most are just saying that recent coaching and recruiting performances haven't added up to his earlier success at Oregon and that high level success may well have passed him by.
GBear4Life
Take it for what it's worth, but today w/Fox announcer Joel Klatt, Colin Cowturd cited someone close to the program who claims Kelly doesn't have many allies inside UCLA at this point and the losing is only part of it. He's not "playing the part", interacting with boosters, disinterested in recruiting, defiant, etc.

MinotStateBeav
starts at 11:23
calumnus
Fyght4Cal said:

dajo9 said:

I'd like for Cal to have a coach we can all grow to hate after a few Rose Bowls
This is funny, but it's not our way. Our Rose Bowl winning coaches were much beloved in the Cal community.

Shoot, we still love our "almost getting to the Rose Bowl then losing in the Holiday Bowl" ex-coach. If we actually WON a Rose Bowl (or a few National Championshios)?????
calumnus
tequila4kapp said:

Another Bear said:

100% this. He is no longer doing anything innovative so he's just like everyone else...has to have the best players, has to make the right calls, has to catch breaks if he's going to win.

People forget those early Oregon years where they were the only west coast team running RPO and the only one virtually anywhere doing it at tempo (remember when Oregon complained the refs weren't marking the ball fast enough after plays? Those days are long over).

There is absolutely zero special about The Chipster any longer. It's going to be great watching him lose.

He isn't even running the offense he ran at Oregon.
calumnus
GBear4Life said:

Take it for what it's worth, but today w/Fox announcer Joel Klatt, Colin Cowturd cited someone close to the program who claims Kelly doesn't have many allies inside UCLA at this point and the losing is only part of it. He's not "playing the part", interacting with boosters, disinterested in recruiting, defiant, etc.

If UCLA fires him, maybe we can hire him as an OC or even offensive consultant with UCLA paying most of his salary? No need to smooze boosters or recruits Just let him worry about scheming on offense, he can call plays from the press box, what he does best.
Another Bear
My guess is UCLA eats Chip's contract and starts over after the season.

Column: Will Chip Kelly give up on UCLA before it gives up on him?
Quote:

At some point Saturday during another wilting night at the Rose Bowl, somebody involved in the UCLA athletic department surely asked the question.

Maybe it occurred as quickly as the game's first play, in which Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts sliced through a week of Bruins preparation by sprinting 52 yards untouched down the sideline.

Maybe it was about two minutes later, when Hurts sprinted 30 yards on fourth down through seemingly clueless Bruins defenders for the first of the Sooners' six virtually uncontested touchdowns.

Maybe it was early, often, and throughout fifth-ranked Oklahoma's 48-14 demolition of a simply rank UCLA team that rarely looked as if it belonged on the same field.

But, surely, at some point, somebody had to finally be asking the question whose answer could haunt this program for years.

Was hiring Chip Kelly a mistake?
hanky1
calumnus said:

GBear4Life said:

If UCLA fires him, maybe we can hire him as an OC or even offensive consultant with UCLA paying most of his salary? No need to smooze boosters or recruits Just let him worry about scheming on offense, he can call plays from the press box, what he does best.

The buyout is just a straight $9mn before his 4th year regardless of when it happens. If they're going to fire him, actually this season would be financially the best season to do it.
bear2034
It would be nice to kick his ass and beat UCLA before he's gone though.
NYCGOBEARS
They'll keep him around for a bit longer. They're dumb like that.
calumnus
hanky1 said:

calumnus said:

GBear4Life said:

The buyout is just a straight $9mn before his 4th year regardless of when it happens. If they're going to fire him, actually this season would be financially the best season to do it.

If they fire him mid season I don't see any obvious candidates for interim HC. Azzinaro? Bible? Rhoades?
Cal89
NYCGOBEARS said:

They'll keep him around for a bit longer. They're dumb like that.
Let's hope they continue to emulate their older sibling up north and stick with a bad coach for a little too long...
GBear4Life
UCLA is in no position to fire a former BCS and NFL HC after 2.5 years of disappointment. They're not USC.
PtownBear1
He's only been there for 15 games. I doubt he would be fired before the end of the season even if they lost every game.
Goobear
PtownBear1 said:

He's only been there for 15 games. I doubt he would be fired before the end of the season even if they lost every game.
I heard that Troy Aikman is very involved. Wants to give Kelly 4 years...
B.A. Bearacus
Grigsby
Kelly is best suited for NFL OC position. He just wants to coach and not deal with people.

He's a terrible mismatch for UCLA.

As a college HC recruiting is a large part of the game. You also need to be a leader and develop relationships with everyone on the team, including ball boys etc.
GBear4Life
Grigsby said:

Kelly is best suited for NFL OC position. He just wants to coach and not deal with people.

As a college HC recruiting is a large part of the game. You also need to be a leader and develop relationships with everyone on the team, including ball boys etc.
There's probably some truth to this.

Funny thing is, I'd bet most HCs don't love recruiting, or building relationships with everyone in the building, or the media stuff. But they do it for a variety of reasons, and they don't resent it. The only reason to fight it would be ego.
BearSD
That makes 3 UCLA head coaches in a row who were better suited to be NFL coordinators than college head coaches...
goldenblue_Cal
and I thought it was just me...........
Another Bear
Report: 63 players have left UCLA football program since Chip Kelly arrived in Westwood

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/17/report-63-players-have-left-ucla-football-program-since-chip-kelly-arrived-in-westwood/
calumnus
Another Bear said:

Report: 63 players have left UCLA football program since Chip Kelly arrived in Westwood

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/17/report-63-players-have-left-ucla-football-program-since-chip-kelly-arrived-in-westwood/

We got Modster, would have been nice to pick up a few more players.
heartofthebear
Northside91 said:

I was gonna say that high school's tough on the fat kid, and they never get over it, but Chip wasn't fat in high school. Maybe his wife did a Bellotti. Or maybe he's just a genetic asswhole.
Aren't most asswholes genetic, anatomically speaking?
heartofthebear
oskirules said:

It would be nice to kick his ass and beat UCLA before he's gone though.

It would be nice to be the reason he's fired.
calumnus
Grigsby said:

I think he is best as a college OC. He was always good about simplification and strategic focus as opposed to the complexities of the NFL offenses that full time professional athletes can execute. He would be ideally paired with a defensive coach in a program that can pay him top salary.
TheFiatLux
MSaviolives said:

Beardog26 said:

Actually, I was told by the family of a kid on last year's Bruins team that Kelly, after attending a few weekly senior captains/leaders meetings, decided to send an underling to represent him at a meeting, then failed to ever attend another meeting again the remainder of the season. Apparently, said senior captains/leaders were less than impressed. Have also heard that he wants little to do with meetings/contacts with alumni. Sometimes, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Clearly, the guy can coach offensive football. I just think his act gets old and he wears out his welcome after a period of time. A bit like Harbaugh in that regard. I'm not saying fucla won't bounce back and have some success under Kelly's system, but his track record and what I've heard indicate whatever success he does have is not likely to be long lasting.

Definitely his M.O. at Oregon. His disdain for alumni schmoozing, and for recruiting visits, were cited as motivating factors to move to the NFL. To be fair, I would also hate doing those things, but I'm not a football coach.
And when you're the highest paid employee in the state you just go ahead and do things you hate doing, and don't be as ssahole in the process. You do it pleasantly.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.