Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Chris Street
Cal Football

Bears Net Big Running Back Target in JSerra RB Chris Street

June 23, 2019

The Bears pulled in one of their top offensive recruiting targets with today's commitment from 5-10/185  JSerra running back Chris Street. 

Street was in town on an official visit with fellow running back Damien Moore (Bishop Alemany) as well as Lawndale DB EJ Jackson and St Louis-Honolulu WR Matt Sykes.

It was one of several visits for Street to Berkeley. After his second trip earlier this month, Street noted his high comfort level with the program and seemed prime for a commitment on his official visit this weekend.

Street has been close with fellow Cal commit (Corona Centennial DB) Isaiah Young for much of his life.

“That’s family,” said Young this afternoon. “We are cousins and I’m more than excited to be able to play ball with him in college.

“I know he can be a big difference and playmaker on the other side of the ball and I can’t wait to see what God has in store for both of us.”

“Isaiah’s been texting me, saying, ‘Come to the bay with me! Come join the family!’ said Street earlier. I’ve known Isaiah since we were young, since were around four years old. Our moms were close, so I was always there, hanging around.”

As a junior, Street rushed for 1342 yards in 202 carries and 17 td’s for JSerra.

The Bears beat out Oregon, Utah, ASU, Florida and more for Street’s services.

Other recruiting stories:

NJ RB Kyle Monagai Talks Recruiting

Aguilar Chooses Bears After Visit to Cal

Discussion from...

Bears Net Big Running Back Target in JSerra RB Chris Street

22,435 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is excellent. Go Bears!
HungryCalBear
Wow!!! Welcome to Cal.

This is awesome news
82gradDLSdad
Could the offensive recruiting tide be turning?
MoragaBear
Staff
It's been turning for awhile with this recruiting class. They've got some good talent in this recruiting class on the offensive side of the ball, with 8 of the 12 so far being on O and standing strong with a lot of their other high targets.
Goobear
Welcome Chris Street. Good to have another OC kid. Go Bears! Go Lions, Go Monarchs!
KenBurnski
Great news! Welcome!
calumnus
Awesome!

Go Bears!
HoopDreams
big commit!
upsetof86
Fantastic news! Welcome Chris and family to the Golden Bear family!
GivemTheAxe
82gradDLSdad said:

Darn. One reason to rag on Baldwin has just evaporated.
Don't worry we'll come up with more.
FloriDreaming
Excellent get! Recruiting class continues to look really good. Finally breaking through the ceiling, good to see.
packawana
Nice to see Edwards come through for us. Welcome to Cal Chris!
kirklandblue
82gradDLSdad said:

Starting to see some offensive recruiting wins against some big names- this is exciting!
burritos
I haven't seen a RB highlight video this good since Brendan Bigelow's.
Chapman_is_Gone
Welcome to Cal, Chris! I hope you have an excellent experience, athletically and academically.

Moraga, do you know what characteristics of Chris' game made him one of Cal's "top offensive recruiting targets," given that his recruiting rankings are rather pedestrian (see below)?

Rivals: unranked nationally, 38th running back
24/7: 947th player overall, 63rd running back
ESPN Top 300: unranked

Or, to avoid the run-around, let me cut to the chase (for probably the 10th time in the many years I've been on this board): Do you, or the posters who responded so blindly positively in this thread while likely knowing nothing about the particular player, think it's at all disingenuous to cite names of big-time football schools that Cal "beat out" for a particular player, but then avoid citing a player's recruiting rankings which are from (in theory) independent recruiting services? Are rankings meaningless? Is it not possible to assign a quantitative value to a player's potential? Unless the answer is "yes" why don't you include it in your reporting? If a player is ranked 38th-63rd at his position, does that not imply that the football team can't really expect to be better than 38th best, all else equal? Does it concern anyone that Cal has not secured one single ESPN Top 300 player yet for 2020?

MoragaBear
Staff
I can tell you from day one, Street was their top running back recruit.

If a guy like Milton, who they offered early, was a better Cal fit, he might've been higher, but he wasn't, for various reasons.

The more cynical of Cal fans harbor doubts that they really don't care about ratings but they don't. They have confidence in their own evaluations.
Chapman_is_Gone
MoragaBear said:

I can tell you from day one, Street was their top running back recruit.

If a guy like Milton, who they offered early, was a better Cal fit, he might've been higher, but he wasn't, for various reasons.

The more cynical of Cal fans harbor doubts that they really don't care about ratings but they don't. They have confidence in their own evaluations.

I certainly hope they're correct, as I generally like Wilcox and his staff.
heartofthebear
Great get!
Reminds me a bit of Shane Vereen
Welcome Street
Bear8
I want to praise Wilcox and staff, but I'm afraid that might be the kiss of death. I am very pleased with each and every three star that has committed to us and I fully believe the team will be more cohesive because of their alleged underestimated ability.
GivemTheAxe
heartofthebear said:

Great get!
Welcome Street

But at 5-10 185lbs he is bigger thaN Vereen IIRC
I like that he is a strong runner (hard to take down), with good vision for the open field, good spin move and some good speed.
He reminds me of Laird in his Junior year.
upsetof86
For other "rank" comparisons I think I saw Myles Gaskins was #39 at his position in 2015 as recruit to UW. 5'10" 185 and similar speed/shiftiness then. That worked out well I'd say.
cmfan64
Obviously Oregon and Florida thought there was something special about this young man as did the many other major schools that recruited him. He was playing in one of the toughest leagues in the country (the TrinityLeague in the OC) when he racked up the stats on his resume. The Cal FB staff pulled off a major breakthrough In signing him. GO BEARS!!!
CALiforniALUM
OL please.
RighteousGoldenBear
Let's not forget Servite....."Go Friars!"
Trinity League pipeline???
bonsallbear
burritos said:

I haven't seen a RB highlight video this good since Brendan Bigelow's.
Did Brenden run between the tackle s like this kid?
Great spin move and excellent vision at speed.
Big C
GivemTheAxe said:

heartofthebear said:

Great get!
Welcome Street

I like that he is a strong runner (hard to take down), with good vision for the open field, good spin move and some good speed.
Bigger than Forsett, but smaller than Vereen, just going by their listed heights/weights.
Bear04
I agree. He had one move in his highlight video where he showed tremendous patience down the sideline, emerging from defenders. Reminded me of Laird in the 2017 North Carolina game.
Goobear
RighteousGoldenBear said:

Let's not forget Servite....."Go Friars!"
Trinity League pipeline???
Indeed! Go Friars! Just mentioned those two since because Street played at both..
MoragaBear
Staff
Big C said:

GivemTheAxe said:

heartofthebear said:

Great get!
Welcome Street

Bigger than Forsett, but smaller than Vereen, just going by their listed heights/weights.

Vereen was shorter and lighter than Street coming out of high school at 5-9/170 vs 5-10/185.
NVBear78
Street looks well put together from the pictures-stouter than many of our recent RB's when they first joined the team.
GivemTheAxe
Soldierbear said:

I agree. He had one move in his highlight video where he showed tremendous patience down the sideline, emerging from defenders. Reminded me of Laird in the 2017 North Carolina game.

I was very impressed by those films that showed almost the entire opposing team piling on Street and he still moves the pile forward. And by those films showing Street bouncing off the first tackle then shedding the second tackle then still running after a third tackle.
Big C
MoragaBear said:

Big C said:

GivemTheAxe said:

heartofthebear said:

Great get!
Welcome Street

Vereen was shorter and lighter than Street coming out of high school at 5-9/170 vs 5-10/185.
You might well be right, especially since I tried to look it up and saw that his NFL height was listed as 5-10. What made me think he was bigger was that I seemed to remember his size, as listed in the Cal roster his last year, was 5-11, 200, or maybe even 6-0, 200.

A fine, all-around back, at any rate. I hope Chris street is even better!
GMP
Big C said:

MoragaBear said:

Big C said:

GivemTheAxe said:

heartofthebear said:

Great get!
Welcome Street

You might well be right, especially since I tried to look it up and saw that his NFL height was listed as 5-10. What made me think he was bigger was that I seemed to remember his size, as listed in the Cal roster his last year, was 5-11, 200, or maybe even 6-0, 200.

A fine, all-around back, at any rate. I hope Chris street is even better!
At present, Vereen's profile is still up and his height/weight is listed at 5'10/204.

https://calbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5416
MoragaBear
Staff
Have to compare apples to apples. Check out Vereen's high school profile. It's 5-9/170.

Player sizes change a lot in 4 years in a collegiate S&C program.
BearlyCareAnymore
MoragaBear said:

Have to compare apples to apples. Check out Vereen's high school profile. It's 5-9/170.

Player sizes change a lot in 4 years in a collegiate S&C program.

And Marshawn 5'11", 195 lbs in high school, not much bigger.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.