Story Poster
Cal Football

Bears Hit Sweet 16 With Commitment of Local Star DB Trey Paster

July 14, 2019

6-3/190 Buhach Colony (Atwater, CA) High School cornerback Trey Paster narrowed his list of finalists to Cal, Washington, Oregon, UCLA and Utah in the last month and tonight made it his decision official, committing to the Bears.

He announced his decision on Instagrm live, saying, “I will be attending the University of California Berkeley,” choosing the local favorites as the crowd gathered at his high school exploded in cheers.

“I want to give a big thankyou to the Cal alumni and Coach Wilcox and Coach GA,” said Paster. “Al the coaching staff at Cal made me feel right at home. It will be great for the next three to four years. I leave in January and my move in day is January 7 (as an early entrant). 

“This is just one step closer to my goal. Thank you, thank you.”

Paster’s little sister got in on the fun, as well, saying, “Thanks everyone for coming. I’m so proud of Tremaine.”

"I think our class is going to be one of the strongest in the Pac-12, the way I feel,” said Paster tonight. 

"We're already close-knit and bonded. I've been talking to these guys and getting close to them for months now. It already feels like we've all vibed together and we're not even in school yet. I know Chris (Street), I know Everett (Johnson) -I know all of them. 

"Isaiah (Young) and Dejuan (Butler), those guys are my brothers, right there. We're going to be tough to match up with. With our combined skill sets, I think we're going to be great. I think Elijah (Jackson) might come, too. I have to talk to him some more. I'll be doing my recruitment for the class and I've already been doing it for the past few months now.

"Those coaches at Cal are doing a great job. What am I, commit number 16? I think we have the most in the Pac-12.”

Paster earns high marks with veteran Buhach Colony head coach Kevin Navarra, who noted Paster’s qualifying for state finals in the long jump as additional evidence of his explosiveness and athleticism.

"As far as skill set, in my 25 years of coaching, he has to be one of most natural athletes I've met," said Navarra. "That being said, I've had lots of great athletes.

"I think the thing with Trey, it’s his work ethic, his mindset -just who he is, in general. I think those are the things that drive him.

“I think lots of athletes are gifted with talent but one of the things I’ve shared with most of the recruiters who have come through is he’s unique in the sense of not even being close to reaching his ceiling yet. I think he’s got a whole other set of skills that will shine at the next level. High school gets athletes prepared to a certain point. I think we do our best to put them in the position to utilize their skill set but I think 17-18 year old young men, when they get the opportunity to get to the next level, with the coaching and training and eating, I think his ceiling isn’t close to being reached.

“He’s unique to me. We’ve had all kinds of talent here but there’s something about his character and work ethic that sets Trey apart from most.”

Paster becomes the 16th commitment for the Bears and the sixth on defense, joining fellow DB’s Isaiah Young and Dejuan Butler in a strong Cal DB class so far under defensive backs coach Gerald Alexander.  

Recent stories:

New Mexico Receiver Connor O'Toole Talks Recruiting, Recent Cal offer

War Room Offense -An Early Look at the 2020 Class

Discussion from...

Bears Hit Sweet 16 With Commitment of Local Star DB Trey Paster

17,733 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LACalFan
LACalFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Boom! GA getting his guys!
71Bear
LACalFan said:

Atwater. Local? Maybe to UC Merced but not Berkeley. I would characterize him as NorCal not local...

Regardless, if this guy can play CB at the P12 level, he will be a great addition. Tall CB's who can play effectively are quite rare.
Big Dog
All of NorCal is Bear Territory.

(it's only a local drive for his family to visit!)

MoragaBear
Staff
With the lack of Bay Area targets, anything less than 2 hours is local enough
prospeCt

the Lester Hayes seal of approval, strong East Bay write-up

?1273799916

Sebastabear
As excited about this as any of the commitments to date. Just fantastic.
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

Wow... Geographically speaking, that means Placerville is "local"......
burritos
The thing that sticks out on his jr. highlights is that he looks big. When was the last time we had a cornerback taller than 6 feet? Harrison(I assume on the most hardcore fans remember him), Nmandi? Deltha, Dante, Sydquan were all under 6 feet if I recall correctly.
Cal_79
71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

Wow... Geographically speaking, that means Placerville is "local"......

What's your point? Anything wrong with that?
burritos
https://www.mercedsunstar.com/latest-news/article232672552.html
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/58893/trey-paster-ath-atwater-calif-buhach-colony-3-fsp-offered

* Neighbor2972 said: So this kid is official 6'1.5, 200 lbs with a 109 Opening score, sign me up

* backthepack said: Jackson is better than Paster
* StrongArmCobra said: Strongly disagree
* FKA_Mousecop said: I like Jackson more at CB, but if Paster is coming along as a safety I'm all for it tbh
* StrongArmCobra said: Jackson is slow and weak and scrawny. No speed, no explosion, no physicality. Paster is 200 pounds and a lot faster on film. It's not even close. Paster has the speed to play corner and the size we want at any DB position. With Jackson, you would be hoping he gets faster as he develops more physically.

* StrongArmCobra said: WOOOOOO! This is my guy! I don't care what anybody else thinks. I think he's a 5-star CB talent and will stand by that. Size, speed, ball skills. He's the total package. Dom Hampton 2.0. His 40 time will improve as he practices it in college. On film, he has burners and he's naturally a really big corner. Imagine what he's gonna look like after a couple years...
* KrunkJuice said: The more I watch the more I like...
* NorwegianHusky said: You're always dooging but I'm with you on this one. Hampton is the natural comparison for him. He reminds me a bit of Murphy too, because he has some real dawg in him, but he's way bigger and more athletic. In terms of physical readiness and physical playstyle he's reminiscent of Rapp. He could play right away if we didn't have depth in front of him... I don't say this very often because it's become trite and almost meaningless, but this is one of those genuinely underrated recruits. He would be amazing on this defense.

* dhdawg said: If he doesn't come to UW it's because we passed and are looking at better guys.
* NEsnake12 said: We always lose to Cal

* backthepack said: Cal
His tape is decent. Good athlete tho.

* Meek said: Damn....good looking athlete. Too bad we didn't get him

* Penace said: So its f*****g official. The kids read these g** d*** boards. What an awesome impression we must make. A f*****g aids infested cesspool with a bunch of ho**s that constantly remind us that this place is s**t and your all f**s

* bananasnblondes said: The coaches may have told him pool's closed
* StrongArmCobra said: Cal will be getting a great one if he commits there and I will be disappointed. UW just sent him an edit. Obviously by doing so they were at the very least trying to keep him interested in UW enough to not commit elsewhere.

* DodgyBloke said: He's going to Cal it's a done deal. 90% of the comments on his announcement post for tomorrow are UW fans but the only ones he has liked are the 5 Cal fans that's posted. Still hope he commits here.

* LaMichael_Corleone said: His Dad is all over Cal on twitter.
* NorwegianHusky said: F***.

* dirtysouwfdawg said: Cal too high

* whlinder said: We lost to Cal, we always lose to Cal

* backthepack said: We always lose to Cal!

* LaMichael_Corleone said: This sucks. I want Gerald Alexander so badly. Just in general because I want to love him as my own.

Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Cleon: "Now everybody says that Gerald Alexander is The One and Only. I think we'd better go have a look ourself."

Cowboy: "What do you know about Gerald Alexander?"
Cochise: "Magic, whole lot o' Magic."

Cowboy: "What do you know about Gerald Alexander?"
Rembrandt: "He's The One and Only."

Cochise: "When you're president of the biggest Cal gang in the city, you don't have to take any ****."
Ajax: "Ahh **** him!"

CalBearinLA
@71...just curious..is there any thread where you didn't feel a need to post a downer/bitter post? Seems petty if the only thing you can contribute to this thread is nitpicking the use of the word "local"

just wondering
71Bear
CalBearinLA said:

@71...just curious..is there any thread where you didn't feel a need to post a downer/bitter post? Seems petty if the only thing you can contribute to this thread is nitpicking the use of the word "local"

just wondering
Hello, CBLA, it has been a while since I read your last blast. I guess you don't read all my posts. I was (and still am) extremely positive about Justin Wilcox. Heck, I called for him to be a future Cal head coach back when he was working for JT. Also, I guess you missed all my upbeat comments about Coach Baldwin. Unlike many here, I believe he is the right guy for the OC job. In addition, there only a handful of us who think Garbers will have a solid season. I also think there are a lot of problems at Cal and believe they should be called out. I want Cal to win. Accepting the status quo and commenting that everything is peachy simply prolongs the lousy performance on the field.

As for the "local" comment, I think it is disingenuous to use that term regarding a guy who is a NorCal kid but not a Bay Area resident. There has been a lot of criticism (some justified) regarding Cal's inability to recruit Bay Area (i.e., local) guys. To suggest that Paster is "local" to relieve that pressure is stupid. Quite frankly, it is a poor reflection on the author of the headline. Yes, I know this is a fan site; however, when Chris was in charge, he had standards that are not being met currently. Too bad......
MoragaBear
Staff
Lol, love you, too, 71
LACalFan
One of these days we'll get this commitment thread stuff right.
Sebastabear
LACalFan said:

One of these days we'll get this commitment thread stuff right.
What possible evidence do you have of that? Certainly not this thread. But again, welcome to this young man. He's made a great decision.
KoreAmBear
I don't care if all our commits come from Samoa or North Carolina (OK maybe if it's due to Tosh) or Texas or Area 51. I just want to get to the Rose Bowl. Is that too much to ask??!!!
OdontoBear66
KoreAmBear said:

I don't care if all our commits come from Samoa or North Carolina (OK maybe if it's due to Tosh) or Texas or Area 51. I just want to get to the Rose Bowl. Is that too much to ask??!!!
Never. Ever. Never!!!!!!
GBear4Life
71Bear said:

LACalFan said:

Atwater. Local? Maybe to UC Merced but not Berkeley. I would characterize him as NorCal not local...

Regardless, if this guy can play CB at the P12 level, he will be a great addition. Tall CB's who can play effectively are quite rare.
Not only is it less than 2 hours away, what other P5 schools are closer?
MoragaBear
Staff
Exactly. He called Cal his local program and so did his coach so they clearly see it that way
71Bear
GBear4Life said:

71Bear said:

LACalFan said:

Not only is it less than 2 hours away, what other P5 schools are closer?
Depends on how you get to Merced from either Berkeley or Palo Alto.

Google says that by bicycle, Palo Alto is closer to Merced than Berkeley
Oski87
When the high speed rail goes in merced will be like getting a kid from San Leandro...
71Bear
Oski87 said:

When the high speed rail goes in merced will be like getting a kid from San Leandro...

Bingo! Of course, I'll be long gone by the time that happens.
GBear4Life
Northern Sonoma County is same distance, as is northern Sacramento, from Berkeley as Atwater. While technically not "NorCal" it is quite clearly "local" and the flagship athletic school to the northern central valley area of California
NYCGOBEARS
We're the flagship university of California. They're all local.
LACalFan
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.