Last Chance U Returns to Netflix Tomorrow: Feat. Cal Transfer Kuony Deng

5,906 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big C
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This should be interesting. It would be cool to get an interview from Kuony ahead of the release - is he excited? Nervous?
KenBurnski
Love this show. Just sad that they don't have Miss Wagner at ICC. Deng seems more on the reserved side so he might not be a focus. Will be interesting to see.
okaydo
For those who don't know: They're making a TV show based on one of the Last Chance U characters starring Courteney Cox.
MathTeacherMike
Don't bother watching the show if you are looking to see Deng - he was invisible. He did not speak once on camera nor was he mentioned by name. And the few times I could find him on the field - which was almost never - he played poorly IMO.
KenBurnski
He was mentioned exactly one time. During a meeting the coach says something like "Deng you are getting recruited by 20 schools, don't do what these guys are doing."
going4roses
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
PDXCalFan
MathTeacherMike said:

Don't bother watching the show if you are looking to see Deng - he was invisible. He did not speak once on camera nor was he mentioned by name. And the few times I could find him on the field - which was almost never - he played poorly IMO.
That was my big takeaway as well. Watched specifically for Deng and was shocked at how little impact he made. I expected the top rated JUCO LB to pop on film but he was rarely even around the ball let alone making a play. This very much tempered my expectations of him making an immediate impact. He's tall and athletic but still looks like a basketball player trying to play linebacker. They were clearly pretty poorly coached so I'm hoping our defensive staff can unlock the potential and he can add weight, but I'm not expecting much in at least the first half of the year.
BearDown2o15
PDXCalFan said:

MathTeacherMike said:

That was my big takeaway as well. Watched specifically for Deng and was shocked at how little impact he made. I expected the top rated JUCO LB to pop on film but he was rarely even around the ball let alone making a play. This very much tempered my expectations of him making an immediate impact. He's tall and athletic but still looks like a basketball player trying to play linebacker. They were clearly pretty poorly coached so I'm hoping our defensive staff can unlock the potential and he can add weight, but I'm not expecting much in at least the first half of the year.

The team as a whole was pretty bad. I think part of it was editing to make them look like a 2-9 team.
GMP
PDXCalFan said:

MathTeacherMike said:

This is a wild take considering you're watching a heavily edited reality show that shows maybe a half dozen defensive plays per game.
GMP
MathTeacherMike said:

Agree with your conclusion - don't watch this if you only want to see Deng. But what you said is not true - he was mentioned by name (episode 6) and he had a few short on camera speaking moments.
going4roses
If Wilcox, DeRuyter and Sirmon wanted him I'm not the slightest bit concerned.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
ducky23
PDXCalFan said:

MathTeacherMike said:

You do realize you're watching a reality tv show right?

And that people who watch actual film for a living have rated this guy the top jc linebacker in the country

Goodness gracious.

AXLBear
Watch his HS tape
rkt88edmo
Good - hopefully it means that he kept his head down and did his job. I'd ove to see him and get to know more about him on netflix but even better is for him to put in the work, play hard, and not draw extracurricular media fire.
NYCGOBEARS
rkt88edmo said:

Good - hopefully it means that he kept his head down and did his job. I'd ove to see him and get to know more about him on netflix but even better is for him to put in the work, play hard, and not draw extracurricular media fire.

I see his lack of screen time to be a positive. It means that he didn't have enough drama to show.
MathTeacherMike
What is Deng's story? Why go the Juco route?
NYCGOBEARS
MathTeacherMike said:

What is Deng's story? Why go the Juco route?

He went to VMI initially and when he realized that he was good enough to play FBS, he left and enrolled in JC.
tc3590
Last Chance U isn't going to highlight guys who Don't talk, play hard and do the things they are suppose to, Dakota Allen was an exception because of his story before he showed up to East Mississippi.

The show is going to focus on guys who either talk a ton, are controversial, or are major headcases.

While I wanted to see Deng on the show, It's probably a good thing he isn't on it too much.
MoragaBear
Staff
PDXCalFan said:

MathTeacherMike said:

He had 48 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss (-26 yards), 1.0 sack (-26 yards), one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and six pass breakups as a 2018 sophomore and 4 tackles and an INT in Cal's spring game.
Strykur
Indy had the #1 player in JUCO and aside from his segment where he committed to Georgia wasn't a big part of the show either.
LACalFan
His Juco coach said Deng was the only leader on the team @ the 8 min mark on this interview.

AXLBear
Interesting.
LACalFan
The switch from that chaos with that bonkers coach to Cal under Wilcox must be a welcome one for Deng.
NYCGOBEARS
LACalFan said:

The switch from that chaos with that bonkers coach to Cal under Wilcox must be a welcome one for Deng.

I thought exactly the same thing, not to mention the venue.
72CalBear
BearDown2o15 said:

PDXCalFan said:

MathTeacherMike said:

The team as a whole was pretty bad. I think part of it was editing to make them look like a 2-9 team.
Actually we should win 3 more than that..
LACalFan
Wilcox on Last Chance U
82gradDLSdad
Strykur said:

Indy had the #1 player in JUCO and aside from his segment where he committed to Georgia wasn't a big part of the show either.

Just got through watching all the episodes. I think great editing, for dramatic effect, may explain why the quiet, hard working, great players don't show up. That and the fact that Indy dropped Deng into coverage so often I thought he was playing safety.

I hope that's what it is.
BearOnABike
Did anyone notice Vic Wharton on the bonus episode? At least I think it was him; he wasn't visible for more than a second or two.
Big C
72CalBear said:

BearDown2o15 said:

PDXCalFan said:

MathTeacherMike said:

Actually we should win 3 more than that..
... by Halloween.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.