Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Ethan Saunders
Cal Football

Big SoCal DL Ethan Saunders Makes it 18 For Cal

August 3, 2019

The Bears kept rolling on the recruiting front, picking up a commitment from 6-3/275 Orange Vista (Perris, CA) High School defensive end Ethan Saunders to bring their recruiting class up to 18.

Saunders announced his commitment today on Twitter on the heels of his unofficial visit on Cal’s recruiting barbeque last weekend.

The 3 star DE has the size and frame to play inside or out in the Bear defense and displayed speed and athleticism uncommon for players of his size on his 90-yard touchdown return of a fumble, two pick-six’s and a host of big yardage sacks as a junior.

Saunders is the 7th defensive commit, joining Hawaii DT Stanley McKenzie, Oregon LB Andy Alfieri, Hawaii LB Mo Iosefa and DB’s Trey Pastor (Atwater, CA), Isaiah Young (Corona, CA) and Antioch corner DeJuan Butler.

Others to offer included Washington State, Oregon State, Boise State and more for the 3 star Saunders. He plays for former Cal running back Greg Zomalt at Orange Vista, who went 12-2 last season, going to their sectional championship game.

Discussion from...

Big SoCal DL Ethan Saunders Makes it 18 For Cal

9,391 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calumnus
75bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to the Bear family Ethan!

D line is a position of need.
FuzzyWuzzy

This kid looks like he has the body and the athleticism to play Day 1.
upsetof86
Welcome Ethan! Great commit for us. And how about Zomalt coaching up a 12-2 club. Might we hear more about him in the not too distant future.
Rushinbear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

This kid looks like he has the body and the athleticism to play Day 1.
Runs well, quick off the ball.
kad02002
Greg coached me my first ever year playing pop warner. He was right out of Cal I believe. Just a great, great, great guy. His brother Eric (who played in the NFL after Cal) is also now a powerhouse HS coach. I swear, if you could take the former Cal player/coaches that I was incredibly lucky enough to have as a 10/11 year old (including Scott Nady, who won multiple HS state championships in Texas and now coaches at SMU), you'd be smelling roses before too long. Anyways, back to the thread itself, with player having come up coached by Greg, I am very confident that he will be a positive contributor.
calumnus
Looks like a great prospect who is already big and fast could get even bigger. Did he play online too? Seems strange he is not ranked higher. Reminds me of Takkarist McKinley who was similarly rated when he committed to Cal and now is in the NFL.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.