Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Justin Baker

Versatile Washington Athlete Justin Baker Commits to Cal

August 11, 2019

The Bears had been courting speedy Washington athlete Justin Baker for months and tonight, the versatile Baker made the call for Cal.

Baker announced his commitment by tweeting, “A dream come true.” #Committed. 1 Kings 8:61

5-10/175 Kennedy Catholic (Burien, WA) athlete Justin Baker has been high on the Bears’ radar for a while, and the interest was mutual throughout the recruiting process

“I’ve been following Cal for a while,” said Baker earlier. “I’m really excited about Cal. I always knew they were a really good school and I always wanted to go to school in California since I was young. It always seemed like a really good place for me and my dad is really big on academics. Both my parents are.”

Cal running backs coach Nick Edwards has been Baker’s main point of contact for the Bears after switching from receivers coach.

“It’s been really good,” said Baker earlier of his relationship with the Cal staff. “The main person I’ve been talking to is Coach Edwards. He’s super cool. He’s one of the first coaches that talked to me about more than just football. We have conversations on the phone and he asks how I’m doing, my personal life, what I like to do outside school and stuff like that. So I thought it was super cool that he can relate to me like that. It’s a lot different type of relationship with a young coach like him.”

“Justin is a playmaker,” said Baker’s trainer Reggie Ford with FSP Sports, who played for Cal OC Beau Baldwin 15 years ago at Eastern Washington. “His nickname on the team is touchdown-maker. He is a high energy guy that is explosive and can get to top speed in 2-3 steps. He will always make the first guy miss and is a threat to score from anywhere on the field at any time. 

“He is a naturally-gifted athlete who can legit play running back or receiver in college and helps immediately in the return game, either kick or punt return, or simply as an offensive weapon.

“I have coached him at FSP since 8th grade and I coach him in the fall at Kennedy, so I have a great perspective of his growth and high ceiling

“Off the field, he is a humble hard working kid in all aspects. He’s even is up for student body president for his upcoming senior year. He is always helping In the community and has great family, with great morals and athletic pedigree. You don’t get much higher character than him. He is a captain of the team and is a alpha dog and will never be outworked. He’s one of the hardest-working kids I have ever coached. He’s fun to be around and all his classmates and teammates love him.

“You guys truly got one of the best of the best from our state, on and off the field. He’s an awesome and exceptional athlete but even a better young man.”

The speedy Baker had 17 TDs and 1,553 total yards as a junior. He also had offers from Colorado, Arizona, Oregon State, Boise State, and Nebraska among others.

Discussion from...

Versatile Washington Athlete Justin Baker Commits to Cal

21,814 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Blueblood
calbear80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great News!

Go Bears!
LACalFan
Ah yeah!

CalBearPete
I can hear Joe Starkey now; touchdown Baker!!! What a bonanza!!
moonpod
GO BEARS!!!!!
irvinebear
YES! Excited to see him in the end zone A LOT!
OneKeg
Nice! Welcome Justin.

Great chance to be a star on both offense and special teams.
UrsaMajor
Outstanding news! Even though he has an offer from Boise (MWC)...
calbear80
Great News.

Go Bears!
Sebastabear
Made my day. Welcome to Cal. You've made a great decision.
BearGreg
Staff
Brief scouting report:

• Tremendous first step quickness and acceleration
  • Well built making him versatile enough to play both slot WR and RB
  • Highly productive at the highest level of WA HS football
  • Capable return man on special teams
  • A dynamic playmaker in the open field who finds the end zone on a regular basis
BearGoggles
Very excited about this commitment from a play maker who seems like a great fit for Cal (on and off the field). Baker brings an element of quickness and burst that Cal has been sorely missing.
GivemTheAxe
UrsaMajor said:

Sorry but that offer from Boise State makes him just another Mountain West caliber recruit.
Too bad. If he hadn't had that offer he could really have been something great.
Blueblood
GivemTheAxe said:

UrsaMajor said:

Sorry but that offer from Boise State makes him just another Mountain West caliber recruit.
Cute...and...droll. I'm not automatically negating any recruits chances of having personal success. However, I am simply questioning Cal's overall recruiting pool emphasis.

Again, Justin may be a future All-Pac 12'er, and of course, his academic character is beyond repute.

But his recruitment does continue to reflect doubtful Cal success (as I've defined it and as reality offers), that is, he got nine offers. Cal is one. He got offers from 1 FCS school (Sac. St.), 3 MWC teams, 3 other Pac-12 members ('zona, Colorado, and fellow bottom-dweller Oregon State) and only 1 Power 5 football school outside the Pac-12.

Note that none of the Pac 12 offers were from the elite divisional leaders, especially from the North. Yes, he appears to have some speed and catching abilities so I can see how a running oriented program, like 'zona and Nebraska, might be interested in him too, probably as a project.

Let's hope as an individual he contributes to Cal's break out success under Wilcox!
RayofLight
Blueblood said:

GivemTheAxe said:

UrsaMajor said:

Cute...and...droll. I'm not automatically negating any recruits chances of having personal success. However, I am simply questioning Cal's overall recruiting pool emphasis.

Again, Justin may be a future All-Pac 12, and of course, his academic character is beyond repute.

But his recruitment does continue to reflect doubtful Cal success (as I've defined it and as reality offers), that is, he got nine offers. Cal is one. He got offers from 1 FCS school (Sac. St.), 3 MWC teams, 3 other Pac-12 members ('zona, Colorado, and fellow botton-dweller Oregon State) and only 1 Power 5 football school outside the Pac-12.

Note that none of the Pac 12 offers were from the elite section leaders, especially from the North. Yes, he appears to have some speed and catching abilities so I can see how a running oriented program, like 'zona and Nebraska, might be interested in him too.

Let's hope as an individual he contributes to Cal's break out success under Wilcox!

I think you are diluded if you think we are going to be going after Blue Chip recruits on offense at the present time with our performance on the field. Baker is excited to be at Cal, and we should be excited by that.
Spreading light and goodness,
Over all the West.
Blueblood
RayofLight said:

Blueblood said:

GivemTheAxe said:

UrsaMajor said:

Again, Justin may be a future All-Pac 12, and of course, his academic character is beyond repute.

But his recruitment does continue to reflect doubtful Cal success (as I've defined it and as reality offers), that is, he got nine offers. Cal is one. He got offers from 1 FCS school (Sac. St.), 3 MWC teams, 3 other Pac-12 members ('zona, Colorado, and fellow botton-dweller Oregon State) and only 1 Power 5 football school outside the Pac-12.

Note that none of the Pac 12 offers were from the elite section leaders, especially from the North. Yes, he appears to have some speed and catching abilities so I can see how a running oriented program, like 'zona and Nebraska, might be interested in him too.

I think you are diluded if you think we are going to be going after Blue Chip recruits on offense at the present time with our performance on the field. Baker is excited to be at Cal, and we should be excited by that.
I think you infer too much in your expression of low opinion of me. I am merely calling out my initial point related to pattern of recruitment in my response to noted snarky embedded, simplistic retorts to my point.

I'm told otherwise that Cal is going after blue chip recruits contrary to your assertion. For instance, many Washington, Oregon, Stanfurd, etc. stellar commits got offers from Cal and continue to do so.

LACalFan
Yeesh... that didn't take long.
Blueblood
LACalFan said:

Yeesh... that didn't take long.
It sure didn't. Don't you Premium Board members get enough action on your site? Must be a real bummer with you all agreeing with one another all the time!
TheSouseFamily
Back on track.

Excited to see what Baker has in store for us and vice versa. Great for Baker and great for Cal. Welcome aboard.
NYCGOBEARS
I like this player a lot. Can't teach speed and that's what we needed. Go Bears!
Goobear
Welcome to the Bears Justin. You will be a stud on and off the field. Your parents must be super proud. go Bears!
hanky1
Awesome! Great news
UrsineMaximus
(jingles keys, jingles keys) ...your story is boring and it's slow....

I've been an observer for 2 years here but this was the appropriate timing for a first post.
79 Bear
Welcome to the Golden State and the Golden Bear family JB! Excited that you have chosen Cal and looking forward to seeing you on the field next year. In the meantime have a great Senior season. Go Bears!
Blueblood
UrsineMaximus said:

I've been an observer for 2 years here but this was the appropriate timing for a first post.
You're either a jail keeper or a school janitor? Two whole years? Wow! You've been around!
UrsineMaximus
Blueblood said:

UrsineMaximus said:

You're either a jail keeper or a school janitor? Two whole years? Wow! You've been around!
Thank you for your response. Per usual it is an ad hominem comment, mean spirited and derogatory. So I thank you for adding me to your list of personal attacks. I do note, however, that I don't have a bold "P" after my name so the per usual "you Premium guys" does not apply to me. I am a guest here and I appreciate the invitation to participate.

That said, you seem to be exceedingly threatened by those that have a P behind their names. It feels that you view them as entitled so just by the virtue of the P they are not to be trusted, heard or in any way acknowledged. That seems to be a unique insecurity owned by you.

I like this site and I think I will enjoy being an active participant and I am grateful that I am allowed to be a guest here.
UrsineMaximus
BearGreg said:

Brief scouting report:

• Tremendous first step quickness and acceleration
  • Well built making him versatile enough to play both slot WR and RB
  • Highly productive at the highest level of WA HS football
  • Capable return man on special teams
  • A dynamic playmaker in the open field who finds the end zone on a regular basis

I liked that Baker said he would actively recruit DJ Rogers to Cal, all positives with this young man.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Great news! Welcome to Cal, Justin. I look forward to watching you over the next few years.

Pay no attention to some of the people responding here. They would criticize Jesus Christ for having a halo instead of 4 or 5 stars.
Blueblood
UrsineMaximus said:

Blueblood said:

UrsineMaximus said:

Thank you for your response. Per usual it is an ad hominem comment, mean spirited and derogatory. So I thank you for adding me to your list of personal attacks. I do note, however, that I don't have a bold "P" after my name so the per usual "you Premium guys" does not apply to me. [I never thought it did unless you plan to use two cyber-handles for each forum?] I am a guest here and I appreciate the invitation to participate.

That said, you seem to be exceedingly threatened by those that have a P behind their names. [Not that I'm aware of?] It feels that you view them as entitled so just by the virtue of the P they are not to be trusted, heard or in any way acknowledged. [No such thing. I've never said anything ofthe sort. I just think the P people that generally respond to me are chicken s#!&s. They pay to have their private forum away from anyone on the free board. They can go to the free board and crap on you knowing that you cannot do visa versa on the P Board. Thus, they are heard, wouldn't you think?] That seems to be a unique insecurity owned by you. [Oh, don't worry about me, I'll manage somehow. I've been here for more than two years. I guess it shows, huh?]

I like this site and I think I will enjoy being an active participant and I am grateful that I am allowed to be a guest here. [Well, I'm glad. I wonder if you'll be here in twenty years?]
Blueblood
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Great news! Welcome to Cal, Justin. I look forward to watching you over the next few years.

Pay no attention to some of the people responding here. They would criticize Jesus Christ for having a halo instead of 4 or 5 stars.
Who lives in Oregon?
Jesus babes has lots of stars!
It's just Cal football has trouble
getting recruits with as many as
HE has!
59bear
The lefty QB (Sam Huard) throwing to him is a 2021 commit to UW.
Blueblood
59bear said:

The lefty QB (Sam Huard) throwing to him is a 2021 commit to UW.
I wasn't going to cite your observation because I wanted to add that what I thought was really the important aspect of Baker's game highlight film was the QB throwing to him. I didn't because of my fear of drawing the consternation of Premium board members.....brrrrr....I just shake at the very thought.

I believe that he is already rated 4 to 5 stars as a junior! Downside is that he is only 6'-2. However he is still growing.

I have nothing against short QBs if they are **** or ***** level players, so you might say I think like Coach Leach up at Wazzu.
burritos
I know some of it was video editing, but he didn't seem to go down to the ground much.
Ccajon2
Reminds me a little of DeSean Jackson, same height/weight even (5-10, 175). Can Baker run a 4.35 40 yard dash?
Ccajon2
Always liked Blueblood, no matter what the other BI ers think of him. That being said, I've been reading his posts since 1999, and I happen to know that if you let him, BB will happily live inside your head for free.

AHAHhhaaaaaahaha
UrsineMaximus
Ccajon2 said:

Always liked Blueblood, no matter what the other BI ers think of him. That being said, I've been reading his posts since 1999, and I happen to know that if you let him, BB will happily live inside your head for free.

AHAHhhaaaaaahaha
exceedingly creepy post. perhaps in your head. but most Cal grads don't fall for this BB stuff. there is a certain amount of sadness and sympathy for your post (i.e. "you").
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.