OT: UC Berkeley buildings seismically unsafe?!?

3,251 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 72CalBear
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is from today's Los Angeles Times...It's weird because they just spent decades retrofitting the campus.

From 1997:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/UC-Berkeley-Buildings-Flunk-Seismic-Checks-57-2799646.php

bearister
If you got trapped in the annex level of Dwinelle Hall while meeting with your history professor it would take 50 years for the cadaver dogs to find your remains (along with remains of assorted history teaching assistants and students missing since the 1930s).

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ColoradoBear
okaydo said:

This is from today's Los Angeles Times...It's weird because they just spent decades retrofitting the campus.

Wouldn't use the word weird to describe it though. I believe they prioritized retrofitting the buildings that were in the 'severe' category. Most of these now needing improvements are in the 'serious' category. It's a ton of money, so it wasn't going to happen all at once.
UrsaMajor
I can't believe that this is news to anyone. The administration has been quite open about the seismic status of every building on campus. The "red" buildings have mostly been retrofitted (e.g., University Hall) or torn down (e.g., Tolman), and the less dire ones are now being attended to. The major problem has been the state legislature which has turned down requests for funding earmarked for seismic retrofitting the last couple of years, forcing the campus (which had a large budget deficit as well as deferred maintenance) to fund it out of general funds.
BearsWiin
On a related note, I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of Co-op and Greek housing structures in close proximity to the fault would also fail a seismic inspection. I was on the second floor of Andres Castro Arms co-op for the 1989 Loma Prieta quake - I'd hate to be there for a Hayward Fault temblor.
bear2034
The UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive is located on Center St and not Bancroft Way. LA Times is referring to the building that was formerly the BAMPFA.
bear2034
oskirules said:

The UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive is located on Center St and not Bancroft Way. LA Times is referring to the building that was formerly the BAMPFA.
Demolish the brutalist building and build much needed student housing on the site.
TandemBear
"Seismically unsafe" is really a misnomer and of very little meaning. What is one structural engineer's "seismically safe" building is another's death trap! Well, perhaps this is an exaggeration. But the term depends a lot on what type of event you're planning for.

One could argue that all the buildings on campus were "seismically safe" since they all survived Loma Prieta without a single fatality. This may be all the proof needed to disprove this entire article - especially since so much retrofitting has occurred post-Loma Prieta. Who are they come along and say we're unprepared?

And what magnitude quake do we plan for to then define buildings as "safe?" It's a cost/benefit analysis that has a threshold. Many opinions will be happy with the chosen - and arbitrary - threshold, others will not.

If the Hayward goes and it's an 8.0 or higher, we're toast. If it's lower, then perhaps not.

But can we ever reach consensus on how much should be spent to reach a certain level of "safety?"

This discussion reminds me of a fire hazard map that was released last year or thereabouts. They listed several communities that fell into a "severe fire hazard zone." Los Gatos and the Santa Cruz mountains fell into this zone. The idea is to institute a fire hazard management fee in these areas to abate the chance of catastrophe. Well, I thought about it. My grandmother grew up in the Santa Cruz mountains. And then her son raised a family in south San Jose and I grew up there. So this represents three generations living in and near this "severe fire hazard zone." Say that a fee had been established "way back when." My family would have paid into this fund for three generations now with nary a benefit realized. There has been no conflagration in this area in three generations that I'm aware of. So would that money have been well spent? I don't know. Doesn't look like it.

So do we plan on and spend for an 8.0 magnitude quake on the Hayward fault? This translates to probably hundreds of millions in spending. Spending that could have gone to other essential areas (schools, housing, anti-poverty, anti-homelessness). It would be a bummer to have another Oakland Hills fire sweep down and wipe out all that "seismically-safe" construction we just spent millions on! Plus, what a shame to spend the money on retrofitting when along comes a BIGGER unanticipated quake, or it never comes in four more generations...

Oakland is currently working on a retrofit mandate for all soft-story buildings. But to what standard? If I retrofit and my building still collapses, what then? Should I exceed the specs to provide a higher level of safety and thus lesser liability? Or is it a waste of money?

Back to the discussion at hand....

So, do we get ANY credit for the stadium retrofit? Will that Chronicle reporter who hates up step forward and give us a LITTLE credit???
bearister
BearsWiin said:

On a related note, I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of...Greek housing structures in close proximity to the fault would also fail a seismic inspection. ...

BWii! How goes! For the same reason Beverly Hills never suffers a catastrophic natural disaster, neither will fraternity and sorority row: Failure of a Supreme Being to properly target disasters.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearsWiin
Just bought season tickets for the first time since 2012. I want to believe.

Will be bringing earplugs for the poor people in the rows in front of me
BGolden
Meanwhile, the cost of the High Speed Rail project in the Central Valley has increased by $2 billion dollars, from $10.4 to $12.6 billion.

Priorities, I guess.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-01/california-s-high-speed-rail-line-cost-grows-by-about-2-billion
GivemTheAxe
TandemBear said:

"Seismically unsafe" is really a misnomer and of very little meaning. What is one structural engineer's "seismically safe" building is another's death trap! Well, perhaps this is an exaggeration. But the term depends a lot on what type of event you're planning for.

One could argue that all the buildings on campus were "seismically safe" since they all survived Loma Prieta without a single fatality. This may be all the proof needed to disprove this entire article - especially since so much retrofitting has occurred post-Loma Prieta. Who are they come along and say we're unprepared?

And what magnitude quake do we plan for to then define buildings as "safe?" It's a cost/benefit analysis that has a threshold. Many opinions will be happy with the chosen - and arbitrary - threshold, others will not.

If the Hayward goes and it's an 8.0 or higher, we're toast. If it's lower, then perhaps not.

But can we ever reach consensus on how much should be spent to reach a certain level of "safety?"

This discussion reminds me of a fire hazard map that was released last year or thereabouts. They listed several communities that fell into a "severe fire hazard zone." Los Gatos and the Santa Cruz mountains fell into this zone. The idea is to institute a fire hazard management fee in these areas to abate the chance of catastrophe. Well, I thought about it. My grandmother grew up in the Santa Cruz mountains. And then her son raised a family in south San Jose and I grew up there. So this represents three generations living in and near this "severe fire hazard zone." Say that a fee had been established "way back when." My family would have paid into this fund for three generations now with nary a benefit realized. There has been no conflagration in this area in three generations that I'm aware of. So would that money have been well spent? I don't know. Doesn't look like it.

So do we plan on and spend for an 8.0 magnitude quake on the Hayward fault? This translates to probably hundreds of millions in spending. Spending that could have gone to other essential areas (schools, housing, anti-poverty, anti-homelessness). It would be a bummer to have another Oakland Hills fire sweep down and wipe out all that "seismically-safe" construction we just spent millions on! Plus, what a shame to spend the money on retrofitting when along comes a BIGGER unanticipated quake, or it never comes in four more generations...

Oakland is currently working on a retrofit mandate for all soft-story buildings. But to what standard? If I retrofit and my building still collapses, what then? Should I exceed the specs to provide a higher level of safety and thus lesser liability? Or is it a waste of money?

Back to the discussion at hand....

So, do we get ANY credit for the stadium retrofit? Will that Chronicle reporter who hates up step forward and give us a LITTLE credit???

I totally agree with your comments and want to add a few of my own.
1. As mentioned by one other poster, Cal is aware of the situation and is trying to remedy the situation, but the Legislature has dragged its feet in providing the necessary funds.

2. The standards for being seismic safety are always changing with each new earthquake and with evolving earthquake science. Many buildings that were built to then current earthquake standards, are often found seismically unsafe when newer standards are developed and applied.

3. Standards also vary from location to location even within the same city. if your building is located within a certain distance from an active earthquake fault, different criteria apply. (the designated distances also are always changing). I did a major remodel on my home in Oakland several years ago, I was required to comply with much stricter standards than a house also built in Oakland but one mile away because of the fact that my house was closer to the Hayward Fault.

4. I support the concept of rational earthquake standards. but we should not assume that compliance with those standards will guaranty safety in an earthquake. There are many factors that contribute to the collapse of buildings during an earthquake in addition to the magnitude of the quake and the length of the time of the shaking. Soil conditions, the type of material used in construction, the height of the building and the cross-bracing for any open spaces, building maintenance, etc etc.

My contractor who remodeled my home was quite familiar with earthquake safety. He said that he could not guaranty that my home would not collapse in a major quake. But he said, if my house were to collapse in a major quake, virtually all of the homes in Oakland and Berkeley would also collapse in that quake. Somehow that did not make me feel much better.

5. As for your cost benefit analysis, for me that all depends on whether the damage is an "inconvenience" or a "catastrophe".
If the projected harm would merely be an inconvenience, we should be careful of spending too much.
If the projected harm would be a catastrophe, we should spare no expense.
An "inconvenience" is when my neighbor's home collapses on him.
A "catastrophe" is when my home collapse on me..
BearSD
TandemBear said:

The Chronicle is down to one reporter who hates Cal? They must have laid off a lot of folks recently.
GoCal80
We had a meeting with the Chancellor on campus Tuesday and she explained that there is a 1-7 scale for seismic safety of buildings, with a 7 being the worst. The good news is that there are no 7's on the campus. The bad news is that there are seven 6's (Evans, Durant, Stevens, Wellman, Donner and two others). Evans will come down to be replaced by two shorter buildings. However, before Evans can be torn down, the campus has to build a building on the site once occupied by Tolman Hall (which came down because it was a 7) so they can put the people currently in Evans into that building until the two Evans replacement buildings are built.

It's all very complicated because of the large amounts of money needed and the need to find somewhere to put the people displaced when buildings are being torn down and replaced.

There are fifty buildings on campus with a "5" rating. Needless to say, it's a challenging situation.

But help is on the way - mark your calendars - February 29 is the kickoff of a huge campus capital campaign that is very important to Cal's future.
GivemTheAxe
GoCal80 said:

We had a meeting with the Chancellor on campus Tuesday and she explained that there is a 1-7 scale for seismic safety of buildings, with a 7 being the worst. The good news is that there are no 7's on the campus. The bad news is that there are seven 6's (Evans, Durant, Stevens, Wellman, Donner and two others). Evans will come down to be replaced by two shorter buildings. However, before Evans can be torn down, the campus has to build a building on the site once occupied by Tolman Hall (which came down because it was a 7) so they can put the people currently in Evans into that building until the two Evans replacement buildings are built.

It's all very complicated because of the large amounts of money needed and the need to find somewhere to put the people displaced when buildings are being torn down and replaced.

There are fifty buildings on campus with a "5" rating. Needless to say, it's a challenging situation.

But help is on the way - mark your calendars - February 29 is the kickoff of a huge campus capital campaign that is very important to Cal's future.

Durant, Stephens and Wellman are all beautiful buildings. I hope they will be retrofitted.

Durant and Wellman were designed by John Galen Howard.

glad to hear that Evans is coming down. One of the ugliest buildings on campus. Made even worse by its location near to some of the most beautiful buildings: Campanile, Hearst Mining, Bechtel, original Engineering, East Asian Library.

Any word on what the replacement
buildings will look like.
BearsWiin
GivemTheAxe said:

GoCal80 said:

Durant, Stephens and Wellman are all beautiful buildings. I hope they will be retrofitted.

glad to hear that Evans is coming down. One of the ugliest buildings on campus. Made even worse by its location near to some of the most beautiful buildings: Campanile, Hearst Mining, Bechtel, original Engineering, East Asian Library.

GivemTheAxe
BearsWiin said:

GivemTheAxe said:

GoCal80 said:

[img]http://news.stanford.edu/news/2010/march/gifs/gunn_bldg_news
.jpg" />[/img]

Those buildings are uglier than Evans currently is.
In addition I believe that tower in the background would generate major protests from the #MeToo movement
sp4149
During the Base Closures of 1995, a major issue was the seismic condition of buildings to be turned over to non-DOD tenants. There was a major hospital that had an UnSat rating. It was proposed to be a computer facility and was then rated as seismically safe. The rating system was different for DOD. The buildings were rated by how soon after a major earthquake they would be able to return to operational status. A hospital to be seismically safe had to be operational in 48 Hours, computer centers did not have the same requirement. So a seven story hospital, with design flaws that would result in all the floors pancaking down on the first floor, making it unable to return to full operational status in 48 hours, became seismically safe for use as a computer center. Needless to say the 'new tenants' were not told of how their new location had been evaluated.
GoCal80
sp4149 said:

During the Base Closures of 1995, a major issue was the seismic condition of buildings to be turned over to non-DOD tenants. There was a major hospital that had an UnSat rating. It was proposed to be a computer facility and was then rated as seismically safe. The rating system was different for DOD. The buildings were rated by how soon after a major earthquake they would be able to return to operational status. A hospital to be seismically safe had to be operational in 48 Hours, computer centers did not have the same requirement. So a seven story hospital, with design flaws that would result in all the floors pancaking down on the first floor, making it unable to return to full operational status in 48 hours, became seismically safe for use as a computer center. Needless to say the 'new tenants' were not told of how their new location had been evaluated.
If you are curious about the safety ratings the campus is using, you can read this:

https://capitalstrategies.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/uc-cr-17-0316_ratingscale.pdf

Information about the buildings assessed as unsafe can be found here:

https://capitalstrategies.berkeley.edu/seismic-resources

...and if you are hungry for more information, look here:

https://capitalstrategies.berkeley.edu/seismic-building-reports
72CalBear
I would have loved to be trapped in any school building with the coed I was dating in l971.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.