Mean Green Win Bar Celebration

16,413 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cal88
cal83dls79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rathokan said:

if you are a beer guy, check out Cellarmaker near your hotel. If you're here this afternoon, pick up some cans (or growlers) to go, and head to Crissy Field near the Golden Gate Bridge. The Rolex Big Boat racing series is going on right now. Sit on the concrete benches along the beach and watch the big boats race and people watch. It's a great day for it with the Golden Gate Bridge as the backdrop.

The wind has just switched from offshore to onshore, so they should start racing soon.
two boat races in one weekend may be too much even for our Texan friend.
rathokan
cal83dls79 said:

rathokan said:

if you are a beer guy, check out Cellarmaker near your hotel. If you're here this afternoon, pick up some cans (or growlers) to go, and head to Crissy Field near the Golden Gate Bridge. The Rolex Big Boat racing series is going on right now. Sit on the concrete benches along the beach and watch the big boats race and people watch. It's a great day for it with the Golden Gate Bridge as the backdrop.

The wind has just switched from offshore to onshore, so they should start racing soon.
you, sir, win the day
rkt88edmo
TandemBear said:

Such a shame there isn't mandated national legislation requiring secure, locked firearm storage in ALL vehicles (as well as everywhere). Thanks to the efforts on the right, sensible firearm regulations such as this (as well as MANY others) are thwarted and defeated. Americans die as a result. THAT's the takeaway from your rant.
I'd agree with that. Unsecured firearms aren't generally doing anyone any good.
rkt88edmo
6forHeisman.com said:

So it kinda got lost in the random political agenda but still needing some help

top 5 bar list for Friday night I've been told (Tupper & Reed,

top 5 bar/area for football pregame I've been told (Telegraph Hill area?, Kips, Buzzworks, Henry's, Jupiter, Faculty Club, International House, Ralegigh's, Papy's

top 5 food spots I've been told (Top Dog, Ramen SoMA, Buzzworks, Pacific Standard Tap Room, Rocco's Caf, Comal,

Also weed shops Cannabis Buyers Club,

Context going with my college buddies all in our mid 20s

I'd just yelp all the things, hopefully you are out enjoying

A fun touristy SF drinking thing to do is to go have Irish Coffees at the Buena Vista Club in Ghiradelli Square. There is good drinking all over the city. Zeitgeist, The Cinch Saloon, Bar None, Lucky Strike - you just gotta find your crowd.
JimSox
calumnus said:

If you are there early enough (which I doubt) you can grab another drink on the field to the left of the stadium (with view of Castle-like Bowles Hall) or head down the road to the right of the stadium to the International House, one of two (the other in New York next to Columbia) dorms built by John D Rockefeller in the 20's to promote international understanding and racial integration. They usually have a keg and have great views of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge (and the passing crowd) from their front deck....

Small correction. I-House is one of THREE built by Rockefeller, the third being at the University of Chicago. My high school English teacher lived there. If I recall correctly (it's been a very long time since I lived in Chicago so I'm not entirely sure), the architecture of the I-House in Chicago is the same as the one here in Berkeley. I was just in New York earlier this month and saw for the first time the one at Columbia and found it looks nothing like the other two!

Anyway, if you've neglected to get a Top Dog and would rather not buy stadium food for lunch, you can go into the cafe at I-House, which is the very closest restaurant to Memorial Stadium. It has a very pleasant patio where you can eat and watch the arriving crowd, such as it may be. But come a bit early. It tends to get quite crowded right before game time.
Go!Bears
Cal8285 said:

Well, this wasn't the "official" American way when that cover came out. It was the first cover, Captain America #1, dated March 1941 but on sale December 20, 1941, almost a year before Pearl Harbor when the U.S. was officially "neutral."

There was hate mail, there were death threats, the offices of Timely Comics got police protection. Doesn't mean the majority of readers were opposed, but still. It took a Japanese attack on the U.S. and Hitler declaring war on the U.S. to make virtually all Americans agree that Captain American should be kicking Nazi butt.
I am confused. If it went on sale Dec. 20 1941, it was after Pearl Harbor. And there were death threats?
calumnus
Go!Bears said:

Cal8285 said:

Well, this wasn't the "official" American way when that cover came out. It was the first cover, Captain America #1, dated March 1941 but on sale December 20, 1941, almost a year before Pearl Harbor when the U.S. was officially "neutral."

There was hate mail, there were death threats, the offices of Timely Comics got police protection. Doesn't mean the majority of readers were opposed, but still. It took a Japanese attack on the U.S. and Hitler declaring war on the U.S. to make virtually all Americans agree that Captain American should be kicking Nazi butt.
I am confused. If it went on sale Dec. 20 1941, it was after Pearl Harbor. And there were death threats?

He meant that it was dated March 1941 but went on sale three months earlier, Dec. 20, 1940.
JollyBear

Typo in the original post. It went on sale in December 1940.
Go!Bears
calumnus said:

Go!Bears said:

Cal8285 said:

He meant that it was dated March 1941 but went on sale three months earlier, Dec. 20, 1940.
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks.
calumnus
cal83dls79 said:

rathokan said:

Well, sailboat races CAN involve a lot of slowly going back and forth without much excitement.
cal83dls79
I'll say. If our offense were a sail boat it would be a Sunfish.
dajo9
cal83dls79 said:

I'll say. If our offense were a sail boat it would be a Sunfish.

I disagree. Sunfish are designed to turnover. If our offense has a turnover we are sunk.
American Vermin
rkt88edmo
6for we need some drinkin and dispensary visit updates!
6forHeisman.com
rkt88edmo said:

6for we need some drinkin and dispensary visit updates!
Firstly I really enjoyed the bay.

From a Berkeley perspective it was decent.
I went to Kip's before the game & had a few drinks, not a bad spot but definitely pretty dead. Walked through campus which was beautiful and had a drink at the faculty club which was pretty awesome.

Cal Memorial is gorgeous but I felt like it was super empty and the crowd environment was pretty dead.

I tried Top dog and it was pretty good but the end of the day still a hotdog.

Similar to North Texas in the fact that no one really cares about football & it's a hipster stoner town like Denton.

But when y'all come to Denton check out Fry Street before to pregame then the Hill at Apogee to tailgate at all the tents.
GivemTheAxe
rkt88edmo said:

For an interesting MAGA related moment - if you visit the Ferry Building to sample the wonderful food of the many vendors, continue east along the waterfront another 200 yards or so to Pier 14.

Walk out along it, enjoy the art, poems, the beautiful views of the Bay Bridge, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the Campanile on Cal's campus, and the political intersection of a young woman who died in the arms of her father from a bullet, fired from a firearm which was previously stolen from a federal agent's vehicle four days prior, while being handled by an undocumented immigrant previously deported five times who had been released by San Francisco authorities under the SF Sanctuary City policy rather than being held for yet another deportation as requested by ICE, while Oakland looks on silently from across the bay ~ as opined about by Trump in his 2016 RNC speech.

Let's stay off the political diatribe.
Yes the story you report is a sad one.
But for every such story there are two or more of MAGA supporters who run over innocent women. Or travel hundreds of miles to shoot "Mexicans" who are in reality American Citizens of Latin ancestry

So now Back to football
Cal88
JimSox said:

calumnus said:

If you are there early enough (which I doubt) you can grab another drink on the field to the left of the stadium (with view of Castle-like Bowles Hall) or head down the road to the right of the stadium to the International House, one of two (the other in New York next to Columbia) dorms built by John D Rockefeller in the 20's to promote international understanding and racial integration. They usually have a keg and have great views of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge (and the passing crowd) from their front deck....

Small correction. I-House is one of THREE built by Rockefeller, the third being at the University of Chicago. My high school English teacher lived there. If I recall correctly (it's been a very long time since I lived in Chicago so I'm not entirely sure), the architecture of the I-House in Chicago is the same as the one here in Berkeley. I was just in New York earlier this month and saw for the first time the one at Columbia and found it looks nothing like the other two!

Anyway, if you've neglected to get a Top Dog and would rather not buy stadium food for lunch, you can go into the cafe at I-House, which is the very closest restaurant to Memorial Stadium. It has a very pleasant patio where you can eat and watch the arriving crowd, such as it may be. But come a bit early. It tends to get quite crowded right before game time.

I was wondering about this, as a Mission Revival building would be out of place in Chicago. Turns out the I-House at Chicago is a doppelganger of the Berkeley one, but clad with Neo-Gothic facade and tower:

Cal88
calumnus said:

Cal8285 said:

calumnus said:

Jtm0097 said:

ANTIFA doesn't scare me. I'll stick a boot in their ass, it's the American way.

Actually the American way is to BE an anti-fascist and kick some Nazi butt.

The combat commander of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade was Robert Merriman (Cal PhD student) who lead 3,000+ American volunteers in the Spanish Civil War against Franco, Hitler and Mussolini in 1937. Hemingway based the main character of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" (published in 1940) on him. Most of the survivors of the Lincoln Brigade continued fighting Hitler and Mussolini straight through D-Day, many retiring as highly decorated war veterans only to be later blacklisted as "pre-mature anti-fascists" in the McCarthy hearings.

More examples of American Antifa:

Unfortunately, the reality of modern American antifa doesn't conform with 1940s era comic book narratives...

This is what antifa really look like, from a protest in Berkeley 2 years ago:

Antifa activist smashes across the head with a heavy bike lock a peaceful protestor who was kneeling down, trying to intercede and calm things down. The antifa perpetrator, Eric Clanton, is a philosophy prof who taught Ethics at Diablo Junio College... He got probation, his 4 felony charges including assault with a deadly weapon were dropped to a misdemeanor. There is footage of him hitting at least 7 people in the head with his bike lock.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.