Another Roster loss -

6,318 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 71Bear
Intuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per Justin Wilcox, TE McCallan Castles has left the program
Harborview
eastbayyoungbear
Wow. Two starts and gone? That's quite worrisome.
tequila4kapp
WTH?
CAL4LIFE
Tui-Kablooey!
txwharfrat
People had high hopes for him for the future. Very abrupt news...
ducky23
Wonder if it was a lack of snaps or something else.

While you hate to lose anyone (especially a "starter"), realistically he is probably the 3rd best TE on the roster right now.

Cal probably won't miss him too much this year, but he had the potential to be a difference maker in future years.
Econ141
Only the offense has this type of nonsense going on. #BBNeedstoEarnIt
Intuit
This action is likely the result of a long burning fuse. Reflect on the 1. disappointing (perhaps poor) performance on the field and the 2. recruiting emphasis on the exceptionally talented TE from Washington.

Neither of these actions occur without a reason. Next man Up!

Harborview
Econ141
Intuit said:

This action is likely the result of a long burning fuse. Reflect of the disappointing (perhaps poor) performance in the field and the recruiting emphasis on the exceptionally talented TE from Washington.

These things don't happen without a reason. Next man Up!

It's not like we have a right end who is doing anything great. They all are equally not stellar. This guy was a great prospect who hasn't shown any development (like the rest of our offensive players).

PaulCali
Berkeley is not for everyone.
eastbayyoungbear
fat_slice said:

Intuit said:

This action is likely the result of a long burning fuse. Reflect of the disappointing (perhaps poor) performance in the field and the recruiting emphasis on the exceptionally talented TE from Washington.

It's not like we have a right end who is doing anything great. They all are equally not stellar. This guy was a great prospect who hasn't shown any development (like the rest of our offensive players).

Eh I'd argue that Reinwald, Brown, and Dancy have definitely developed. Also isn't our O young across the board? How much development would we realistically expect there?
bonsallbear
Was he third string?
UrsineMaximus
It did appear that he was having some issues with the dropsies in camp as well as one in game (not targeted much). And it sure looked like the other TEs were making more of a contribution.

But how the hell does a TE that was supposedly taking our D to task last year while on the scout team all of a sudden decide to leave the team (especially after such a historic win)? Who knows but it does continue a trend of offensive players leaving Cal on the first bus available.

Opens the door for Alftin who is a unique athlete.
Goobear
UrsineMaximus said:

It did appear that he was having some issues with the dropsies in camp as well as one in game (not targeted much). And it sure looked like the other TEs were making more of a contribution.

But how the hell does a TE that was supposedly taking our D to task last year while on the scout team all of a sudden decide to leave the team (especially after such a historic win)? Who knows but it does continue a trend of offensive players leaving Cal on the first bus available.

Opens the door for Alftin who is a unique athlete.
This smells of not football related or the kid is over football. Best wishes to him.
PaulCali
He was the starting tight end.
UrsineMaximus
I was pondering the same thing. Hate to see a Nor Cal kid leave Cal that is a massive life decision. I wish him the best.
ferCALgm2
=\

NYCGOBEARS
Probably doesn't want to be a blocker on a run first team with no downfield passing. Also, I blame Tui.
Bobodeluxe
Buh, again.
FloriDreaming
Best of luck to him. Hope this is a mutually beneficial move.
Big C
NYCGOBEARS said:

Probably doesn't want to be a blocker on a run first team with no downfield passing. Also, I blame Tui.
Probably surprised his own production hasn't lived up to fan board expectations (which were largely based on his cool-sounding name and "reputed" athleticism). I blame nobody.
heartofthebear
Intuit said:

Per Justin Wilcox, TE McCallan Castles has left the program
Maybe he had to protect the king.
You Game of Thrones folks, tell me he didn't return to the castle.

On a more serious note, I suspect that Cal is developing a run first "identity" (read default) on offense. Receivers that might have an eye on the NFL are not going to be able to establish a resume at Cal, if that is the case.

I think the days of our pretense of being "multiple" on offense are coming to an end.
Econ141
eastbayyoungbear said:

fat_slice said:

Intuit said:

Eh I'd argue that Reinwald, Brown, and Dancy have definitely developed. Also isn't our O young across the board? How much development would we realistically expect there?

Fair point but I've heard for the past couple years now how important the TE is to Beau and his multiple offense ... yet I haven't seen any memorable production from this spot despite the number of guys they've recruited there.
GivemTheAxe
fat_slice said:

eastbayyoungbear said:

fat_slice said:

Intuit said:

Fair point but I've heard for the past couple years now how important the TE is to Beau and his multiple offense ... yet I haven't seen any memorable production from this spot despite the number of guys they've recruited there.

Sorry to see him go.
But during the summer camp I was disappointed to hear reports that he had trouble hanging on to balls that came his way. IIRC he dropped one in the UW game.
CAL4LIFE
fat_slice said:

eastbayyoungbear said:

fat_slice said:

Intuit said:

A multiple of one isn't really that multiple in a multiple offense.
Trumpanzee
Do you think it was his inability to catch the ball or the fact the ball comes to him in catchable......

signing in the 2018 class as a 4 star prep from South Lake Tahoe with his athleticism and potential pass-catching threat but his production was limited to a single 15-yard reception in Cal's bowl game loss to TCU last season. He was named the starting tight end in both of Cal's first two games, as well as for this weekend's contest versus North Texas but his inability to hold onto balls in practice and in games likely limited his targets this season.
bearsandgiants
Whatever the reason, that was one damn graceful tweet from an outgoing player, and I hope he finds success wherever he goes.
Big C
He's probably a fine young man, but note that it is standard procedure to say good things about the organization that one is leaving, when starting to market one's self to new organizations.

To CalPaTroll: He was dropping passes. Can't blame this one on the QB. (Could be he has been wide open and the QB hasn't been seeing him, too, I dunno.).

Sounds like his next team will be more passing, less Berkekey.
OzoneTheCat
Big C said:

Guess he just wasn't Berkeley Enough
XXXBEAR
Sounds like he was demoted to second string after the Huskies upset and responded accordingly...
Trumpanzee
Big C said:

He's probably a fine young man, but note that it is standard procedure to say good things about the organization that one is leaving, when starting to market one's self to new organizations.

To CalPaTroll: He was dropping passes. Can't blame this one on the QB. (Could be he has been wide open and the QB hasn't been seeing him, too, I dunno.).

Big C I know you've been watching the passes like I have. I would think catching a spiral would be easier than a ball that comes in sideways......hard to believe a 4 star athlete who was part of an epic win decides to leave the program. Maybe Berkeley is not for everyone..

Trumpanzee
NYCGOBEARS said:

NYC totally agree, another Tui screw up! Should have left Tui's ass in Washington....

71Bear
CalPaTroll said:

Big C said:

Big C I know you've been watching the passes like I have. I would think catching a spiral would be easier than a ball that comes in sideways......hard to believe a 4 star athlete who was part of an epic win decides to leave the program. Maybe Berkeley is not for everyone..

It isn't. As he said, the fit wasn't right. I wish him the best going forward.........
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.