If Cal finishes 4-8

4,064 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sycasey
GBear4Life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assumptions: All games are close, QB play is bad.

Given mitigating factors like losing starting QB and the piling up of injuries, what is the appropriate response, if any, from admin, donors and fans?

I foresee zero chance Wilcox fires BB. If he has any inkling that a change would be best, he'd tell Baldwin and let him find another job. But I don't think Wilcox blames BB for this offense. Neither do I.
Pigskin Pete
GBear4Life said:

Given mitigating factors like losing starting QB and the piling up of injuries, what is the appropriate response, if any, from admin, donors and fans?

I foresee zero chance Wilcox fires BB. If he has any inkling that a change would be best, he'd tell Baldwin and let him find another job. But I don't think Wilcox blames BB for this offense. Neither do I.
Wilcox gets told that either he fires Baldwin or he can join him in the unemployment line.
GBear4Life
Pigskin Pete said:

Wilcox gets told that either he fires Baldwin or he can join him in the unemployment line.
Since Cal will not do that, what's option B
Pigskin Pete
GBear4Life said:

Pigskin Pete said:

Just because you say they will not do that doesn't mean that's what will happen.

I didn't stutter.
GBear4Life
Pigskin Pete said:

GBear4Life said:

Pigskin Pete said:

Just because you say they will not do that doesn't mean that's what will happen.

I didn't stutter.
"never say never" is probably a smart position to take. I'm wondering where Vegas would put odds on Cal giving JW an ultimatum about his OC, though.
Cal89
Should Modster remain healthy, and the offense does not get better in a meaningful way, then the OC's job is very much on the line, IMO.

Modster has sufficient talent and experience to where he and the offense should improve. Bowers's last 6-8 games in 2017were quite good. Chase was making nice strides also and beginning to turn the corner. I would expect the same of Modster, possibly more, and with that, improvement in the offense. Again, if not, there is every reason to be critical of BB...
ColoradoBear
Lol, why does this thread even exist?
BearSD
"If Cal finishes 4-8"? GTFO. Are you just trying to win some competition to be the most negative of all Negabears?
LunchTime
BearSD said:

"If Cal finishes 4-8"? GTFO. Are you just trying to win some competition to be the most negative of all Negabears?
He is one of the few posters here who only has one thing to say... What do you expect from him?

Just ignore him and assume everything he says is about the same as this and you won't be wrong. Ever.
GBear4Life
I'm just curious as to what people think a rational response from interested parties is regarding this hypothetical and undesirable outcome.

In other words, it's not a prediction.
Larno
Apparently some on this board are prophets. Predicting losses for the rest of the season, and assurances that that will not be the case, indicate a knowledge of the future that is remarkable. In the Old Testament prophets who gave false prophecies were frequently put to death. Certainly an incentive to make sure you're right.
dimitrig

We can discuss that if and when it looks like a possibility. Might as well ask what happens if we go 0-12 next year.
GBear4Life
I thought we didn't want to be a program that tells coaches what assistants they need to fire and/or hire?

That would sever the relationship between JW and the athletic department administration, and it couldn't possibly make Cal a more appealing place to coach.
89Bear
GBear4Life said:

What do you think will happen if Cal wins out?
GBear4Life
89Bear said:

GBear4Life said:

Cal will extend Wilcox. Wilcox will keep BB.

BI will get on their knees with their mouths open in front of JW, giving him all the credit and none of the blame, and many will still hate on BB and want him gone.

Now you go.
GBear4Life
Any legit athletic department never tells their football HC who/when to fire/hire. No HC who is in-demand and talented will want to work for an administration like that. If admin thinks the HC is asleep at the wheel for keeping a staff on that isn't good, you fire the HC. Pure and simple.
89Bear
GBear4Life said:

89Bear said:

GBear4Life said:

Cal will extend Wilcox. Wilcox will keep BB.

BI will get on their knees with their mouths open in front of JW, giving him all the credit and none of the blame, and many will still hate on BB and want him gone.

Now you go.

Even in the best case scenario you are still miserable.

4-8, BB is gone and you enjoy it because you love being negative and you can point to all of the problems you see in the football program, at the university, and with people here.
GBear4Life
89Bear said:

Even in the best case scenario you are still miserable.

4-8, BB is gone and you enjoy it because you love being negative and you can point to all of the problems you see in the football program, at the university, and with people here.
Not sure where this is coming from.

I'm not a hater of JW, I think he should get two more years regardless, and I see some positives that may produce unrealized future potential. And I don't think they will go 4-8 (though I don't think it's as far fetched as others).

I'm saying the narrative on JW, and conversely BB, are not rational, or at least in some cases contradictory.

If you'll notice, the OP didn't ask what should JW do if Cal goes 4-8 under said circumstances. It's what is a reasonable response/expectation from interested parties (fans, admin, etc) as to what should be done, and perspectives on both JW and BB.

But I suppose I should have more empathy for those triggered by seeing "4-8", ignoring fully that it was explicitly posed as a non-prediction, merely a hypothetical to respond to.
FloriDreaming
I'd like to think that, regardless of the outcome the rest of the way, Wilcox would be embarrassed enough with the poor offense to take action. But then again, I thought that last year, too.

At some point, Cal fans will realize that a Cal football team can have both an offense and a defense. And I have a feeling that point in time will be some time after Wilcox is no longer coaching at Cal.

Call me a NegaBear, but when I see a coach whose offense in his first three years coaching is the worst in the Pact 12 and among the worst in the nation, "negative" becomes "logical." It would take a leap of faith to assume Wilcox's offenses will somehow improve when there is no evidence to support such a claim and a mountain of evidence to support the opposite conclusion.

Point being, I too would like to believe the problem is with Baldwin and if Wilcox would just get rid of him and replace him Cal could finally have a balanced team and be more than just competitive losers on the field. And I still hope that. But realistically, even if Baldwin is fired, it will be Wilcox hiring his replacement and setting the tone for the program. Which means, no matter what happens, Cal's offense will probably continue to suck no matter who is the OC.

But, hey... Go Bears, right?
1CalFan
If we go 4 and 8,
a) we follow Blueblood's suggestion and join the MWC, or
b) Wilcox hires Chip Kelly as OC, or
c) fill in the post with other scenarios
GBear4Life
It will be interesting to observe the reaction from all parties if JW makes no changes on offense after going 4-8.
TheFiatLux
dimitrig said:

We can discuss that if and when it looks like a possibility. Might as well ask what happens if we go 0-12 next year.
Just took one GIANT step closer.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

It will be interesting to observe the reaction from all parties if JW makes no changes on offense after going 4-8.

Then he should be fired.
philly1121
This is my first post this season. I think what is frustrating people is that we had a great season in the making and it has all gone to tears with Garbers injury. Now Modster is in and he doesn't look like he has it. So - it isn't too far a stretch to consider that we won't win another game. That's not being a Negabear. It's just reality.
JSC 76
I fully expect that we'll be underdogs in every game from here on. So Vegas thinks we'll go 4-8.
510 Bear
1CalFan said:

If we go 4 and 8,
a) we follow Blueblood's suggestion and join the MWC, or
b) Wilcox hires Chip Kelly as OC, or
c) fill in the post with other scenarios
We have a greater chance of hiring Chip the poodle from the Berkeley Animal Shelter as our next OC (to save money, don't you know?) than Chip Kelly.

And we're definitely headed for 4-8. The remaining 5 teams on our schedule are going to shred our demoralized depleted remains of a team.
GBear4Life
If BB is truly incompetent and hold Cal football players back, so is JW. Period.

It's not like "well, JW needs to replace him or I want JW fired." Uh, no. Illogical to want an incompetent HC who stuck with an (apparently, per BI) obviously incompetent OC to be charged with both continuing to lead the program and hire another OC.

But the most probable answer is most likely the correct one.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

It's not like "well, JW needs to replace him or I want JW fired." Uh, no. Illogical to want an incompetent HC who stuck with an (apparently, per BI) obviously incompetent OC to be charged with both continuing to lead the program and hire another OC.
Only if you assume a coach making one bad hire means the next ones will always be bad.

And honestly, I didn't think Baldwin was a terrible hire to begin with. He had a decent resume. He just hasn't been working out. That happens at times in any organization. I only lose confidence in the boss if he fails to recognize who isn't performing. The longer Wilcox sticks with Baldwin the more I lose confidence in him, but if he cuts bait then I'm willing to cut some slack to the new guy, in part because Wilcox HAS shown improvement in other areas of the team. I don't think that's illogical.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.