So I attended the UCLA-OSU game Saturday...

4,961 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TandemBear
LMK5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Watching UCLA on TV is one thing, but seeing them in person is another. I don't think I've ever seen a football team appear more unprepared to play than UCLA on Saturday. Before my hot dog was done, it was 21-0 OSU. OSU, seeing that the Bruins' minds were elsewhere, successfully executed a drop kick kickoff--which they recovered--in the first quarter. That was when the boos started to come. All this against the perennial patsy of the Pac-12. Has UCLA become Rutgers?

What was most apparent to me was the amount of space the OSU receivers were able to put between themselves and the UCLA defensive backs. An anemic UCLA pass rush certainly doesn't help, but my takeaway was that UCLA just doesn't have the athletes to keep up with even average receivers. Horrible tackling is another item added to the defensive dumpster fire.

I don't think I've ever seen a program with the heritage of UCLA fail this badly in front of a home crowd and against a team that is probably the easiest on the schedule. I just don't see how the UCLA administration can allow this to go on any longer without taking a drastic step. How else will they communicate to the fan base that they are seeing the same thing we all see?
m2bear
I could care less about fucla and their problems.
sycasey
It's even weirder, given that Chip Kelly has fielded successful teams before. They shouldn't be this incompetent. Has he just checked out?
Beaverdreams2
Beavs not as awful as some may think.....Isaiah Hodgins likely best receiver in the conference, if not nation, so there IS that. OSU's offense fairly legit....Other than that though agreed....they were totally unprepared.
72CalBear
I didn't watch the game but noticed that the half-time high school bands filled most of the Rose Bowl in the second half. I am not sure if the Beavers are legit (their passing game seems to be) or that the Bruins are that pathetic. In any event, our game with them may be for our bowl eligibility.
LunchTime
m2bear said:

I could care less about fucla and their problems.

I couldn't care less about their problems.
oski003
So 72CalBear cares a tiny bit and LunchTime does not care at all?
Beardog26
I care, but only to the extent that I hope the problems continue for as long as possible.
Beardog26
While OSU is a better team and program than in the past few years, I believe some of this is attributable to Chip Kelly having checked out.
Beaverdreams2
Oh that's for sure.....maybe not consciously, but he appears to have lost that team.
Beardog26
I've heard multiple stories of Kelly having checked out, missing and then ignoring weekly team leader meetings, etc. It's one thing to fervently dislike alumni interaction, which he does, but quite another to give the impression to your players that they are not important enough to bother attending leadership meetings.

He certainly has a storied past as a Pac-12 head coach but I believe that (i) defensive coaches have caught up with his scheme/system, once a huge differentiator for him and his offense, and (ii) whether for this and/or other reasons, he has consciously checked out of everything but game planning and in-game play calling.
Strykur
Kelly is getting checks from 3 different teams and hates facetime with recruits, media, his own players, but other than that is a fantastic coach for a squad with no talent.
Sebastabear
LMK5 said:

Watching UCLA on TV is one thing, but seeing them in person is another. I don't think I've ever seen a football team appear more unprepared to play than UCLA on Saturday. Before my hot dog was done, it was 21-0 OSU. OSU, seeing that the Bruins' minds were elsewhere, successfully executed a drop kick kickoff--which they recovered--in the first quarter. That was when the boos started to come. All this against the perennial patsy of the Pac-12. Has UCLA become Rutgers?

What was most apparent to me was the amount of space the OSU receivers were able to put between themselves and the UCLA defensive backs. An anemic UCLA pass rush certainly doesn't help, but my takeaway was that UCLA just doesn't have the athletes to keep up with even average receivers. Horrible tackling is another item added to the defensive dumpster fire.

I don't think I've ever seen a program with the heritage of UCLA fail this badly in front of a home crowd and against a team that is probably the easiest on the schedule. I just don't see how the UCLA administration can allow this to go on any longer without taking a drastic step. How else will they communicate to the fan base that they are seeing the same thing we all see?
I read this and realized that I am definitely a terrible person because it made me happy. I mean really, really happy. Unlike others, I don't instinctively dislike UCLA. They are a public school, part of the great UC system and their fight song is kind of catchy (ahem). But anything that makes them more likely to lose to us in Pasadena is, in the words of Ben Kingsley in Schindler's list, an absolute good.

By the way, I watched the game on TV and at one point they had a shot from the field showing about 25% of the stadium and I literally don't think I saw 50 people in it. It was unbelievable (and this is from someone who frequently rails against our own poor attendance in certain games). I can't imagine what the Bruin faithful must be feeling to have paid a king's ransom for a marquee coach and getting these results. Yikes.

Blueblood
Sebastabear said:

I read this and realized that I am definitely a terrible person because it made me happy. I mean really, really happy. Unlike others, I don't instinctively dislike UCLA. They are a public school, part of the great UC system and their fight song is kind of catchy (ahem). But anything that makes them more likely to lose to us in Pasadena is, in the words of Ben Kingsley in Schindler's list, an absolute good.

By the way, I watched the game on TV and at one point they had a shot from the field showing about 25% of the stadium and I literally don't think I saw 50 people in it. It was unbelievable (and this is from someone who frequently rails against our own poor attendance in certain games). I can't imagine what the Bruin faithful must be feeling to have paid a king's ransom for a marquee coach and getting these results. Yikes.

I agree that you're a "terrible person" in more ways than one.

As for poor attendance, wait until Cal plays Oregon State in Memorial. I only hope you can find 49 people other than yourself!
LMK5
Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

As for poor attendance, wait until Cal plays Oregon State in Memorial. I only hope you can find 49 people other than yourself!
Doesn't the fact that it's homecoming and also parents weekend generally aid attendance?
Blueblood
LMK5 said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Doesn't the fact that it's homecoming and also parents weekend generally aid attendance?
Okay....okay....so add another 500 people to the attendance. It still doesn't change the point of my post.
sycasey
Sebastabear said:

The Rose Bowl is also really huge, so even a decent crowd of 40,000 is going to look sparse in there.

I can't imagine there is much excitement for UCLA football these days, though.
oskidunker
It will be a close game when we play them
Go Bears!
Sebastabear
Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

That would hurt more if you were premium.
Blueblood
Sebastabear said:

Blueblood said:

I will not ever be a Premium Board member if I have to pay. I made this condition with GreyBear and he respected my reasons for my stance.
Sebastabear
Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Blueblood said:

I will not ever be a Premium Board member if I have to pay. I made this condition with GreyBear and he respected my reasons for my stance.
Teasing you Blue. It's all good. I know where you are coming from.
Blueblood
Sebastabear said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Blueblood said:

Teasing you Blue. It's all good. I know where you are coming from.
I know. My post is meant for interested lurkers.
KenBurnski
Are you on a merit system? How many more points do you need to turn big P?
Blueblood
KenBurnski said:

Are you on a merit system? How many more points do you need to turn big P?
Too bad all your generation understands is "money." I'll tell you nothing more other than the only sinful thing involved with my stance is "pride."
82gradDLSdad
We'll hang a 20 spot on their asses. Book it.
KenBurnski
Outstanding
510 Bear
LMK5 said:

I wonder if there's a hidden message here, which is that UCLA (and every other P12 program) has higher standards and less tolerance for mediocrity in the revenue sports than Cal does.
Cal84
>I wonder if there's a hidden message here, which is that UCLA (and every other P12 program) has higher standards and less tolerance for mediocrity in the revenue sports than Cal does.

Cal Athletics will go through the motions of trying to look concerned about the performance of revenue sports teams. But read their actions, not their words. Revenue sports at Cal are there to pay the costs that allow non-revenue sports to exist. And if the result is mediocre football performance and better that average performance in non-revenue sports, then that is an acceptable result to Cal Athletics. And given the sparse criticism from alumni, it apparently is acceptable to most of them as well.
NVBear78
Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Way to go sunshine! Geez BB it has to be tough being you.............sorry for getting personal but your comments are so uncalled for even for a professional s*** stirrer....
dimitrig

I am interested in the problems UCLA is having because in some ways they are facing the same constraints as a program that we are in terms of academics and program cost caps except that they have a better recent history to sell to fans and recruits. I mean, we are starting their former backup QB (now our backup QB) right now. The fact that they are also struggling despite some advantages gives me some concern about Cal's ability to field a conference champion. If another coach finally turns it around at UCLA that will definitely be bad for Cal but I am concerned that some of the problems may be endemic to UC and so in that sense I would like to see UCLA become at least competitive. Right now I wouldn't trade our program for theirs and that should be scary for us all!
Rushinbear
Cal84 said:

>I wonder if there's a hidden message here, which is that UCLA (and every other P12 program) has higher standards and less tolerance for mediocrity in the revenue sports than Cal does.

Cal Athletics will go through the motions of trying to look concerned about the performance of revenue sports teams. But read their actions, not their words. Revenue sports at Cal are there to pay the costs that allow non-revenue sports to exist. And if the result is mediocre football performance and better that average performance in non-revenue sports, then that is an acceptable result to Cal Athletics. And given the sparse criticism from alumni, it apparently is acceptable to most of them as well.

I keep wondering why non-rev/olympic sports are so important at Cal? Other than parents, close friends and olympic scouts, coaches and sponsors, no one seems to show up. The judged sports are beauty contests and open to corruption anyway. I suppose it's part of the cache of Cal, but the Sears Cup seems to have dwindled to nothing save the intelligentsia, if that.

Oh yeah, I get it - it's all Title IX driven. So, why not do major surgery within those guidelines and work to self-sufficiency for each. Otherwise, it's just another gravy train.
Cal84
Non-revenue sports have supporters because many of them have been competitively successful, although never financially so. Title IX on the other hand is not a valid excuse for retaining all these sports. One could easily prune sports that exist on both the men's and women's side, i.e. Tennis, Golf, Cross Country, There just isn't the political willpower to bite that bullet. It's not so different than how state and federal governments behave - financially necessary but politically unpopular cutbacks are anathema to policymakers.
TahoBear
Watching the OSU - UCLA game was an eye-opener for me. OSU's 6'7" QB is the "real -deal" as is their running back and Isaiah Hodgkins at WR. Their first half performance against UCLA was impressive.

“ Once a Bear - Always A Bear”
sycasey
TahoBear said:

Watching the OSU - UCLA game was an eye-opener for me. OSU's 6'7" QB is the "real -deal" as is their running back and Isaiah Hodgkins at WR. Their first half performance against UCLA was impressive.

On the other hand, UCLA's defense is awful.
Rushinbear
Cal84 said:

Non-revenue sports have supporters because many of them have been competitively successful, although never financially so. Title IX on the other hand is not a valid excuse for retaining all these sports. One could easily prune sports that exist on both the men's and women's side, i.e. Tennis, Golf, Cross Country, There just isn't the political willpower to bite that bullet. It's not so different than how state and federal governments behave - financially necessary but politically unpopular cutbacks are anathema to policymakers.
And, you get NY, NJ, IL, CT with the cart leading the horse.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.