OT: So, who is getting their power shut off?

16,008 Views | 189 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sycasey
sp4149
How long do you want to ignore this user?
burritos said:

How much would it cost to have a fleet of jetliners with fire ******ant at the ready, and some flying in the air during high risk times to snuff out fires? It can't be more expensive than rebuilding entire cities every other year can it? Aren't they retiring a bunch of passenger planes with the new planes all the time? Any chance to retask this retiring fleet for such a purpose?
Maybe convert idle Max 737s to air tankers???
Of course they might crash during dives...
AunBear89
Good ol' GoldenOnenote! Spewing RWNJ talking points like a good little con.

Since you hate everything California - including it's flag public university, can I safely assume you live in some other state? Perhaps the libertarian dream, Kansas?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bipolarbear
As one who lives in the mountains and is involved in Firewise and Firesafe, I can tell you that decades of natural fire suppression and ill informed "environmentalists " who fight every effort to thin and maintain a healthy forest have combined with climate change to create tinder box waiting to explode. I would say 'a disaster waiting to happen' but it is too late for that.
Watch "Inside the Megafire" on Nova.
bluehenbear
going4roses said:

Those responsible ain't worth a squirt of piss

https://www.kqed.org/news/11737336/judge-pge-paid-out-stock-dividends-instead-of-trimming-trees
Time to get out the guillotines.
bearister
Huge power outages show PG&E is 'out of control,' critics say - SFChronicle.com

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Huge-power-outages-show-PG-E-is-out-of-14505078.php
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sp4149
MSaviolives said:

Sonofafurd said:

MSaviolives said:

MSaviolives said:

I can't get over the fact that PG&E has given clear notice that it intended to implement these blackouts for many months, and yet suddenly yesterday--for the first time and only hours before the expected blackout--Caltrans says that it can't keep the tunnels open. So a scramble ensues, apparently resulting in PG&E bringing in generators. Is there any explanation other than that nobody at Caltrans thought of this problem until yesterday morning?
Answering my own question, apparently Caltrans didn't foresee that power in both CoCo and Alameda Counties might be shut down at the same time.

I see where Caltrans is coming from. It's a real bear for earthquakes to get permission to cross county lines.
For some context, 160,000 vehicles go through the Caldecott Tunnel on weekdays. And yet, Caltrans didn't see this coming as an issue that might need to be addressed in advance...go figure.
As an example of the dire state of utility management, Caltrans did have two separate power grids available for the Tunnels. What they didn't expect was that PG&E would shut down both grids, on each side of the Oakland Hills. To be connected to two separate electrical grids is increasingly rare with corporate consolidations.
oskidunker
Sitting in my moms house in Pinole. Cold inside. Very unhappy people in Pinole. Some generators running.
Go Bears!
Big C
Ironically, the wind seems to be blowing pretty hard this afternoon, after laying low all day yesterday and this morning. That wind ... so deceptive, you never know what it's going to do. Maybe it could be our Offensive Coordinator!
ColoradoBear
Wow, then there is pretty scary shot of San Bruno Mountain in Brisbane (where the power wasn't turned off):

https://patch.com/california/southsanfrancisco/three-alarm-brush-fire-burning-san-bruno-mountain

Any guesses on how that possibly started?

bearister
Editorial: Massive power shutdowns cannot become the new normal

http://www.mercurynews.com/editorial-massive-power-shutdowns-cannot-become-the-new-normal-for-pge
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2019/10/10/editorial-massive-power-shutdowns-cannot-become-the-new-normal-for-pge/amp
going4roses
bluehenbear said:

going4roses said:

Those responsible ain't worth a squirt of piss

https://www.kqed.org/news/11737336/judge-pge-paid-out-stock-dividends-instead-of-trimming-trees
Time to get out the guillotines.

Or the stones
burritos
Is there definitive evidence/proof that trimming trees would in fact prevent these huge fires?
burritos
off topic.
Golden One
burritos said:

Is there definitive evidence/proof that trimming trees would in fact prevent these huge fires?
There is no definitive evidence/proof that ANY action will in fact prevent these huge fires.
sycasey
bearister said:

http://www.mercurynews.com/editorial-massive-power-shutdowns-cannot-become-the-new-normal-for-pge
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2019/10/10/editorial-massive-power-shutdowns-cannot-become-the-new-normal-for-pge/amp

Got to agree with a lot of points here. Winds like this will happen again, and not just once every 100 years or something. You can't disable so much of the state every time it happens.

If more investment is required from the state, then let PG&E make that argument. It will probably come with more oversight, but that's how it goes.
bearister
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Got to agree with a lot of points here. Winds like this will happen again, and not just once every 100 years or something. You can't disable so much of the state every time it happens.

If more investment is required from the state, then let PG&E make that argument. It will probably come with more oversight, but that's how it goes.

PG&E's priority is offloading billions to shareholders in corporate profits and millions to its executives in salaries and bonuses. Public safety comes after that. Spending money on infrastructure and safety upgrades is a drag against the bottom line.
going4roses
How many more large corporations are run exactly like this?

bearister
going4roses said:

How many more large corporations are run exactly like this?

What I have learned in my years on earth: If real rich guys and big corporations are in favor of something, be against it and you won't go too far astray.

I don't live in Lafayette but someone in power at PG&E must hate that city because they put them out of business.
510 Bear
AunBear89 said:

Good ol' GoldenOnenote! Spewing RWNJ talking points like a good little con.

Since you hate everything California - including it's flag public university, can I safely assume you live in some other state? Perhaps the libertarian dream, Kansas?
And as someone who's spent time in KS, let me just say that anyone who thinks that state is thriving and that CA is a hellhole needs to check into the nearest mental health facility ASAP.

Unless wide-open space and bible-thumping "values" are your measures of prosperity, just about anyone coming from a neutral non-brainwashed position would observe that CA is a thriving (if imperfect) harbinger of the new economy, while KS and many of the red states slowly waste away and continue to be drains on the US economy.

As for PG&E, this article quite convincingly lays out the case as to why it is indeed their fault. Here's to out-of-control corporate greed and everyone who's an apologist for it.
Another Bear
Hey so it turns out the old, defunct, commie rag, the SF Bay Guardian was right all these years about PG&E. Those guys use to editorialize about PG&E all the time...and this was before San Bruno.

In any case, SF has made an offer to PG&E for infrastructure. I assume other cities and counties will follow.
oskidunker
Power on in pinole
Go Bears!
wifeisafurd
Quite a contrast between PG&E than with SCE. SCE actually had reporters in their bunker where they made decisions with engineers and weather experts when to power down discrete areas.. Only powered down in high fire areas when actual high wind occurred and after providing notices- about 13,000, not millions, impacted. Stay safe everyone.
sp4149
ColoradoBear said:

Wow, then there is pretty scary shot of San Bruno Mountain in Brisbane (where the power wasn't turned off):

https://patch.com/california/southsanfrancisco/three-alarm-brush-fire-burning-san-bruno-mountain

Any guesses on how that possibly started?

The towers are still standing, must have been a PG&E customer
sp4149
Another Bear said:

Hey so it turns out the old, defunct, commie rag, the SF Bay Guardian was right all these years about PG&E. Those guys use to editorialize about PG&E all the time...and this was before San Bruno.

In any case, SF has made an offer to PG&E for infrastructure. I assume other cities and counties will follow.
10 cents on a dollar? PG&E will use replacement value, no city could afford that.
72CalBear
Where do you live? Not in the city? How about the wildland urban interface (WUI) where most of our fires take place? And not because of the natural vegetation and fuels, but because we now live on the outskirts of the city much nearer to hills, mountains and forests. Paradise suffered from this and here in Southern California it's more than a reality. Every new community that has pushed out towards the "country" now invites huge fires. Both of my sons who are firefighters down here are both on 48 hour watches because of Santa Ana winds and the destruction that they annually bring. PGE and SCE are one thing, but we have pushed ourselves right out into the forest itself with no intention to stop or even consider the consequences.

https://phys.org/news/2019-09-california-wildfire-wildland-urban-interface-area.html
Another Bear
sp4149 said:

Another Bear said:

10 cents on a dollar? PG&E will use replacement value, no city could afford that.
PG&E filled for Chapter 11 at the beginning of the year. If their business continues to trends like this, who knows what the price will be but I'm guessing they might have limited leverage. Then there are the lawsuits..how many?

Total guess, the law suits will required tree maintenance because common sense....but there's no way PG&E ever catches up on maintenance, trees or infrastructure, so they sell stuff off. In any case...

KQED: San Francisco Offers to Buy PG&E Electric Grid in the City for $2.5 Billion
sycasey
Looks like Oakland is restored as of tonight. All schools open tomorrow.
59bear
bearister said:

Now they are talking about shutting down the Caldecott Tunnel. Methinks some interesting things were said in PG&E board meetings that will never find their way into the minutes. Watch next for proposed legislation relating to PG&E wildfire liability so that we can avoid an orchestrated crippling of the Bay Area's economy going forward.

Caltrans prepping for 'full closures' of Caldecott Tunnel, Lantos Tunnel | KRON4

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/caltrans-prepping-for-full-closures-of-caldecott-tunnel-lantos-tunnel/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/caltrans-prepping-for-full-closures-of-caldecott-tunnel-lantos-tunnel/amp/
I did wonder when I saw the news of the shutdowns if this might be designed as much to influence the legislature to enact some tort relief for the utility as to actually prevent accidental ignition.
sp4149
wifeisafurd said:

Quite a contrast between PG&E than with SCE. SCE actually had reporters in their bunker where they made decisions with engineers and weather experts when to power down discrete areas.. Only powered down in high fire areas when actual high wind occurred and after providing notices- about 13,000, not millions, impacted. Stay safe everyone.
Woke up this morning to SoCal wildfires news headlines. 100,000+ evacuated, but the power is on!

Still can't believe that in this extreme fire danger event that outdoor burning is still permitted. Maybe if SCE customers start the fires then SCE won't be blamed. Wasn't that long ago the SDG&E dodged a bullet by blaming lost hikers for starting a signal fire in order to be rescued (there were also downed power lines, but those damned lost civilians. I'll believe SoCal has their wildfire act together when they just routinely ban outdoor burning in extreme fire danger events. Why even risk it? And a lot less impact that shutting down the grid. Why are easy things so hard to do.

!!! Fortunately only a couple of wildfires burning along my route from La Quinta home to San Diego, no sigalerts yet!!! A lot of the route may be low on fuel from recent fires, aka uncontrolled burns.
sycasey
Not a good look.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pg-e-executives-wined-and-dined-at-a-sonoma-winery-before-power-shutdown/

Quote:

As PG&E prepared to shut down power for millions of California residents earlier this week, some of its employees were wining and dining 60 of its biggest customers at a Sonoma County winery.
going4roses
So, I had an eye appointment on campus this morning at 1130. I Get here and there is a sign on the door saying closed because of no power. Took me a month to get this appointment. Wasted time and money !!! ***** PG&E!!! I have deadlines I could have been working on . Rant over.
sycasey
going4roses said:

So, I had an eye appointment on campus this morning at 1130. I Get here and there is a sign on the door saying closed because of no power. Took me a month to get this appointment. Wasted time and money !!! ***** PG&E!!! I have deadlines I could have been working on . Rant over.
That's weird, I thought all of Berkeley got their power back already.

I think maybe someone just didn't want to come in to work.
ColoradoBear
sycasey said:

going4roses said:

That's weird, I thought all of Berkeley got their power back already.

I think maybe someone just didn't want to come in to work.
LBL is closed today as well...
bearister
going4roses said:

If you were able to read the sign from 10 feet with one eye covered...you're good.
going4roses
ahahahahahhahahahhahah funny funny

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.