ESPN Dick Butkus (best linebacker)

2,699 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UrsaMajor
Trumpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Evan Weaver, California

My explanation for this one will be short and sweet: At some point in the third or fourth quarter of a given Cal game, you will pause and think to yourself, "Wait, has Weaver made every damn tackle for Cal in this game?" He hasn't, but it sure seems as if he has.

RealBear65
I played against Dick Butkus 2 years in a row (1963 & 1964). I assure you he's the best LB of all time. It's not just the total number of tackles made by a LB that defines his greatness. It's how those tackles are made. Many, if not most, of Butkus's tackles were made head on and stopping the ball carrier in his tracks.
bonsallbear
Well he wouldn't be on the field long enough today. Too many targeting calls.
bearister
Butkus: One Season And One Injury With The Meanest Man Alive

https://thestacks.deadspin.com/butkus-one-season-and-one-injury-with-the-meanest-man-1245969242
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thestacks.deadspin.com/butkus-one-season-and-one-injury-with-the-meanest-man-1245969242/amp

" That's my man. Richard Marvin Butkus, 28 years old, 245 pounds, six feet, three inches tall, middle linebacker for the Chicago Bears football team, possibly the best man to ever play the position. To a fan, the story on Butkus is very simple. He's the meanest, angriest, toughest, dirtiest son of a ***** in football. An animal, a savage, subhuman. But as good at his game as Ty Cobb was at his, or Don Budge at his, or Joe Louis at his."

" He has the widest shoulders on earth. His name seems too small for him; the entire alphabet could be printed on the back of his uniform and there'd be room left over."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Bear8
RB65, youth must be served. Your personal experience notwithstanding, Weaver is roughly the same size as Butkus, but has tremendous speed. I don't know the number of tackles he's made alone and how many shared, but there has to be a ton. There's maybe a difference in the height and weight of Butkus' opponents and today's opponents. I recall that Merlin Olsen was a big man at 255 in the 60's. Today, playing the same position you'd better be 275+. The biggest guy around at that time was probably Roger Brown at about 320. Today, there are numerous guys in college and the NFL at that size. I don't mean to denigrate Butkus, but times and better health have passed that era by.
UrsaMajor
My favorite Butkus quote: "If I was smart, I'd be a doctor. I'm not; so I'm a football player.
RealBear65
Bear8 said:

RB65, youth must be served. Your personal experience notwithstanding, Weaver is roughly the same size as Butkus, but has tremendous speed. I don't know the number of tackles he's made alone and how many shared, but there has to be a ton. There's maybe a difference in the height and weight of Butkus' opponents and today's opponents. I recall that Merlin Olsen was a big man at 255 in the 60's. Today, playing the same position you'd better be 275+. The biggest guy around at that time was probably Roger Brown at about 320. Today, there are numerous guys in college and the NFL at that size. I don't mean to denigrate Butkus, but times and better health have passed that era by.
Checking on several sources, the concensus seems to be that Merlin Olsen played at 270lbs. Also, you can't overshadow greatness with time. Greatness lasts forever.
82gradDLSdad
Weaver makes plays all over the field like Butkis but he sort of catches on coming ball carriers when he tackles them. Butkis delivered a blow when he tackled even when taking on runners head on. One thing Weaver does that I've seen few do: if he gets an arm on a runner even while almost overrunning the play he makes the tackle. He must have monkey arm strength. If he continues that into the NFL I'll be amazed. It's already sort of amazing.
SFCityBear
Bear8 said:

It is hard to compare players of different eras, but Weaver is a college player. What most of us remember about Butkus, due to the comparative lack of national college football TV coverage in Butkus's day, is more or less limited to his NFL career, where TV coverage for the NFL was more inclusive We need to wait until Weaver plays in the NFL for several years before making a judgment that Weaver is somehow the better player. He should not be in the conversation yet.

I love Weaver. His attitude, his nose for where the ball is going, and his ability to bring down runners with seemingly just getting a hand on them. The two previous years, I felt Kunasyk was a shade better linebacker. The two players were at least equal in my mind. Last year Kunasyk made more solo tackles than Weaver. The year before Kunasyk had 19 more tackles, and more for loss, and played only 9 games to Weaver's 12 games. Both Weaver and Kunasyk made tremendous improvement under Wilcox over the years they played at Cal. This year Weaver has been outstanding, even better than last year, save perhaps the Oregon game, where he had only 5 solos and 1 assist. But we can't judge much from one game. Sometimes a defender has to take on one or more blockers so a teammate can make the tackle, and that defender gets no credit. The defense in that game was more of a team effort.

I mostly saw Butkus in the NFL and on TV. While the skill and strength of a Weaver to bring down a runner by just grabbing him with a hand or an arm is very impressive, Butkus was different. He didn't need his hands to tackle, he hit the runner and absorbed all the runner's momentum, and then drove him backward. Much of the time he used his hands and arms, just for extra emphasis, to lift the runner off the ground, and hurl him backward, or slam him to the ground. I'd say Weaver is more of a finesse player, and Butkus was a brute force kind of player. But Butkus was more than that. He typified brute force. Butkus got better in the NFL, and got better over the years. I look forward to seeing Weaver (and Kunasyk as well) play in the NFL for many years, with few injuries. Maybe one or both will prove to be as good as Butkus was. Cal has never had two linebackers as good as Weaver and Kunasyk on the same team in my memory, at least.
Bear8
RealBear65 said:

Bear8 said:

Checking on several sources, the concensus seems to be that Merlin Olsen played at 270lbs. Also, you can't overshadow greatness with time. Greatness lasts forever.
I saw Butkus in college, in particular, against the Bruins. A friend has a picture of Butkus catching him in mid-air as he attempted to gain yardage. I also saw Butkus in the NFL, many times, usually against George Allen's Rams. DB was a great player for his time. His greatness was recognized by the NFL HOF. I am hoping that the Weav achieves such greatness. I think he has the build. I think he has the mental toughness. I think he has the speed. If he puts those all together, he should do quite well. Weaver is on the way-up to greatness.
UrsaMajor
Lest we forget: Butkus did play at CMS when Cal hosted Illinois in 1964 (my first game as a freshman).
Trumpanzee
Would you put Weaver as a NFL 1st round pick? That is if he stays healthy and continues to destroy players....
Bear8
IdahoBear said:

Would you put Weaver as a NFL 1st round pick? That is if he stays healthy and continues to destroy players....
That's a tough one. Teams lately have gone for Dlinemen as their first picks in the first round. They want to beef up their pass rush. They also go for QBs, before looking at other positions. Ron Rivera looks at Cal and often like what he sees, so it is possible that Weaver winds up in Carolina. Weaver has enough speed to play defensive end. However, i feel he believes he's best where he is now. But, in answer to your question, I think he will be a late first round choice (ala Aaron Rodgers).
Bear8
UrsaMajor said:

Lest we forget: Butkus did play at CMS when Cal hosted Illinois in 1964 (my first game as a freshman).
I was at that game too.
tim94501
If he runs the in the 4.5 -4.6 region but if he runs 4.8 he's a 3rd rounder
72CalBear
Did Dick play offense in college - go both ways? Perhaps not significant, but playing both offense and defense makes one or the other stand out even more! A few top players did back then.
RealBear65
72CalBear said:

Did Dick play offense in college - go both ways? Perhaps not significant, but playing both offense and defense makes one or the other stand out even more! A few top players did back then.
Yes, during 1962-63 we played both ways. Butkus was a center on offense and a LB on defense. Butkus was also a long-snapper on punts and a member of the kickoff return team from 1962-64.

At our 1964 game vs Illinois at CMS I successfully blocked (more like shielded) Butkus from a play. He also blew me up ass end over tea kettle on a sweep to the right when he blitzed between the right guard and right tackle.
UrsaMajor
Although I went to a number of Cal games as a kid, my first as a Cal student set the tone for the next 55 years: Illinois was #1 in the country pre-season and we lost 20-14 because Craig Morton missed a wide open Jerry Bradley in the end zone (he missed him by at least a kilometer).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.