Story Poster
Photo by Twitte / Tyson McWilliams
Cal Football

Bears Round Out Their Defensive Backfield With Commitment from McWilliams

October 20, 2019

6-3/170 St. Augustine/San Diego cornerback Tyson McWilliams became the fourth defensive back and 23rd commit overall for the Bears' 2020 recruiting class, committing after his official visit this weekend.

At 6-3, the speedy (4.47 forty) 3 star cornerback meets the profile Cal defensive backs coach Gerald Alexander and staff have sought to compete with the big receivers in the Pac-12 in tall, athletic corners. He announced his decision initially tonight on Twitter, saying:

“I want to thank all the coaches that recruited me. I also want to thank God, my Family, & Friends for sticking by my side through this decision. With that being said,I am COMMITTED to The University of California Berkeley. Go Bears . #TAKERS”

McWilliams was already leaning towards the Bears before this weekend but the official visit to Cal sealed the deal with the talented corner, despite the frustrating loss for the Bears.

“It went really well. It was a great time,” said McWilliams of the visit. 

“It was a great atmosphere at the game, despite the result. They just showed me and my family a great time this weekend.

“It got to know some of the players, too, and hung out with them a while. It just felt like the right fit.”

The close-knit relationship and playing style Cal’s veteran defensive backfield share rubbed off on the future Bear, only making him more certain that he wanted to be a part of what head coach Justin Wilcox and staff are building in Berkeley.

“You get that feeling just being around them how close they are,” said McWilliams. “The guys were actually out there at 6 this evening, just putting up work on their off-day together. That showed me a lot, how invested they are on the team and getting better together.”

Learning about how the defensive backfield grew into the tight-knit and successful unit they’ve become has made McWilliams all the more anxious to start his class’s legacy in the program.

“It’s really exciting,” said McWilliams. “That group of guys were in the same position as I was, playing early as freshmen and sophomores. Hopefully we can continue that DB legacy and be like those guys at Cal like Ashtyn (Davis) and Cam (Bynum) and the other guys by the time we finish.”

As the 23rd member of the Bears’ 2020 class, McWilliams is joining a group that’s already become well-established in getting to know each other and building a bond as a class.

“I’ve actually been added to the group chat but I’ve been in contact with Trey Paster for a couple weeks,” said McWilliams. “The guys are just excited about getting up there and building something special.”

To-date in his high school career, McWilliams has 79 tackles, nine interceptions, one sack and one forced fumble on defense as well as 38 catches for 641 yards and four td’s at receiver.

McWilliams joins Argyle, Texas DB Collin Gamble, Buhach Colony DB Trey Pastor, Corona Centennial DB Isaiah Young and Antioch safety Dejuan Butler in the Bears’ talented 2020 DB class as seniors Ashtyn Davis, Jaylinn Hawkins and Camryn Bynum prepare to move on, with hopeful plans for the NFL.

With the class filling up, the Bears have only a few more spots to go before wrapping things up and waiting for early signing day in December.

Other stories:

Bears Add Big Commitment in Central East DT Ricky Correia

Calabasas QB Jaden Casey Talks About Commitment to Cal

Discussion from...

Bears Round Out Their Defensive Backfield With Commitment from McWilliams

6,718 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big C
LACalFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He has the tools @ 6'3 with 4.4 speed. Sky is the limit under GA. Welcome!
upsetof86
Great news welcome Tyson!! A 4.4 forty at 6ft 3in is a dream come true. So Tyson is 6ft3in who is the big guy next to him in the pic?
chazzed
Nice. Welcome to Cal, young McWilliams!
FuzzyWuzzy
Is that his older bro in the family photo? Sign him up too if he has any eligibility left! He looks to be even taller than the recruited athlete...
Blueblood
chazzed said:

Nice. Welcome to Cal, young McWilliams!

"Gee, Tyson was sure hoping that
he'd get a 'welcome' from chazzed!"
Trumpanzee
He better beef up, he's playing OL next year......
SFCityBear
This looks like a good player.

We aren't doing so well yet in this season's problem areas however. Only two OL signees and one QB.
Rushinbear
SFCityBear said:

We aren't doing so well yet in this season's problem areas however. Only two OL signees and one QB.
for the record, 2 qbs.
bonsallbear
I would rather have one quarterback and four offensive lineman
MathTeacherMike
The offensive line should be THE priority - we should take at least 5 every year. The entire offense is only as good as it's line. Put our QB's (any of them) behind the Ohio State o-line, and they would be all-conference.

On the defensive side as well - line play is the king. It's not a coincidence that the elite teams have elite line play.
SFCityBear
Rushinbear said:

SFCityBear said:

for the record, 2 qbs.
Thanks for the correction.

I forgot about Zach Johnson. He should be able to handle both the PGA and playing for Cal. Not many big Tour events in the Fall and he can play for Cal and then return to the Tour in January.
Big C
MathTeacherMike said:

The offensive line should be THE priority - we should take at least 5 every year. The entire offense is only as good as it's line. Put our QB's (any of them) behind the Ohio State o-line, and they would be all-conference.

On the defensive side as well - line play is the king. It's not a coincidence that the elite teams have elite line play.
What with the one huge-but-a-project guy who went into the transfer portal and the other huge-but-a-project guy who appears to be switching to NG, I'd HAVE to believe we will be signing another 1-2 OL recruits this cycle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.