Ogunbanjo Arrested?

10,223 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pigskin Pete
CaliforniaEternal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whoa, this looks like a pretty crazy situation...

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2019/12/09/cal-football-player-arrested-after-attack-on-berkeley-police-officer

Quote:

Police arrested a Cal football player over the weekend after he reportedly flagged down a Berkeley police officer, tried to grab his gun during a violent struggle and attempted to take his patrol vehicle, authorities report.

The man, who ultimately was arrested, has been identified as 19-year-old Joseph Adeyem Wisdom Ogunbanjo of Berkeley.
OldenBear
CaliforniaEternal said:

Whoa, this looks like a pretty crazy situation...

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2019/12/09/cal-football-player-arrested-after-attack-on-berkeley-police-officer

Quote:

Police arrested a Cal football player over the weekend after he reportedly flagged down a Berkeley police officer, tried to grab his gun during a violent struggle and attempted to take his patrol vehicle, authorities report.

The man, who ultimately was arrested, has been identified as 19-year-old Joseph Adeyem Wisdom Ogunbanjo of Berkeley.

Wow. Just wow.
Strykur
Looks like we have an extra scholarship spot for next year.
Chapman_is_Gone
Not much wisdom in attacking a cop.
Beardog26
Bad deal all the way around. Feel bad for the officer being subjected to a scary encounter like that. Sucks for the team and staff, too. Also feel awful for Banjo and his family.
CannonBlast
Sad news and thankful that the alleged incident didn't escalate further.
going4roses
Apparently he dealing with mental issues because there is no way in hell a rational person goes to start something with LE.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
joe amos yaks
This is irrational.
Why would this happen?
Was alcohol involved?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Big C
going4roses said:

Apparently he dealing with mental issues because there is no way in hell a rational person goes to start something with LE.
Mental/emotional or under-the-influence-of-something. He was suspended for several weeks earlier in the season, then worked his way back onto the team. Sad situation.

Hope he get's his life back together.
ducky23
Beardog26 said:

Bad deal all the way around. Feel bad for the officer being subjected to a scary encounter like that. Sucks for the team and staff, too. Also feel awful for Banjo and his family.

Yeah man. That could've been much much worse.
KoreAmBear
Very sad. He seemed very excited to be back on the team too.
Beardog26
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised it didn't. Awful news.
glb78
Either under the influence or a serious mental health problem. Glad nobody was seriously hurt or worse. He will most likely be a felon after sentencing.
MSaviolives
Psychotic break of some kind. Sadly, these types of mental conditions often first surface in late teen/early adult years.
Fyght4Cal
Absolutely terrible, dangerous situation. Thank God the officers decided to act with such restraint. I feel terrible for both Banjo and the police officer. I hope the officer heals quickly. I pray that Banjo recovers from from whatever caused such rash behavior.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
NYCGOBEARS
Damn, must be a mental health issue. I'm glad he didn't do that in Oakland. He might've gotten shot. Hope the young man is ok.
Cave Bear
Ogunbanjo owes his life to the exceptional restraint -- and willingness to risk his own life -- by that police officer.
bearsandgiants
This is why you don't villify cops without getting the whole story. Most are hard working people making a huge sacrifice.
Cave Bear
bearsandgiants said:

This is why you don't villify cops without getting the whole story. Most are hard working people making a huge sacrifice.
What does this have to do with vilifying cops before getting the whole story? The story has just come out and the cop is being praised.
Fyght4Cal
bearsandgiants said:

Asking questions and demanding accountability are not "vilifying". Police officers have a tremendous amount of power and discretion on the street. They are also paid very well on the public dime, are able to retire more than 10 years earlier than your avg. citizen - receiving very close to their highest salary, and are afforded extremely strong union protections. It is reasonable for the paying public to expect conduct that is above reproach.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
510 Bear
NYCGOBEARS said:

Damn, must be a mental health issue. I'm glad he didn't do that in Oakland. He might've gotten shot. Hope the young man is ok.
You could get shot doing that in pretty much any town or city. Really dangerous and unfortunate that it came to that.
Bobodeluxe
Sonny must take the blame here.
GMP
This sounds wild, but I think judgment should be withheld, including the comments in most of the posts so far in this thread. Remember the story after the 2019 NBA Finals involving an officer and Raptors President Masai Ujiri?
bencgilmore
GMP said:

This sounds wild, but I think judgment should be withheld, including the comments in most of the posts so far in this thread. Remember the story after the 2019 NBA Finals involving an officer and Raptors President Masai Ujiri?
This. There was the houston incident last January (i think) where the story originally was that a homeowner used his revolver to shoot up 4-5 cops. Later it became clear the officers had invaded the wrong persons' house and (probably) shot each other while also killing an innocent couple.

Not implying this is a similar situation... just... i'd recommend no judgment yet is all i'm saying.
calumnus
Cave Bear said:

bearsandgiants said:

What does this have to do with vilifying cops before getting the whole story? The story has just come out and the cop is being praised.

Coming from LA, I was always struck by the difference in demeanor in the Berkeley Police Department. The BPD was the first in the nation trained in conflict resolution and they receive training in dealing with mental issues. Many police departments train officers in firearms and little else, so it becomes the only tool officers have. "Reform" is giving the officer a taser.
Go!Bears
calumnus said:

Coming from LA, I was always struck by the difference in demeanor in the Berkeley Police Department. The BPD was the first in the nation trained in conflict resolution and they receive training in dealing with mental issues. Many police departments train officers in firearms and little else, so it becomes the only tool officers have. "Reform" is giving the officer a taser.
First in the Nation? Is it possible those much maligned Berkeley City Council 'commies' got something right?
bearister
Cop got lucky too that Joseph did not have murder in his heart. This would have gone sideways for the cop pretty quick if Joseph was an actual criminal. His mugshot tells it all: he did not comprehend the seriousness or reality of the situation.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
touchdownbears43
He gone!!!
touchdownbears43
Smiling in his mug shot - clearly doesn't have all his marbles. I'm sure he's finished on both the team and from school - as he should be.
UrsaMajor
I agree with those who caution restraint in terms of comments as well as those who see this as a tragedy that could have been a lot worse. One thought however. I wonder what the comments would have been if this had been an Oregon player in Eugene.
going4roses
clearly the first two are pieces are done but no need to pile on "should be" imo
bearister
At DLS this would garner a one game suspension.
orindabear74
We done smoked it all officer"
bearister
SadbutTrue999 said:

GMP said:

This. There was the houston incident last January (i think) where the story originally was that a homeowner used his revolver to shoot up 4-5 cops. Later it became clear the officers had invaded the wrong persons' house and (probably) shot each other while also killing an innocent couple.

Not implying this is a similar situation... just... i'd recommend no judgment yet is all i'm saying.

Yeah, the cop could be like Richard Gere in Internal Affairs....but the mugshot doesn't look like the expression of someone who knows he just got set up by a bent copper. In addition, cops only have to make up stories like this when they wrongfully kill or injure someone. In Joseph's booking photo there doesn't appear to be a mark on him. Oh, and I think the comments have been supportive. Most suggest some kind of altered state not conduct indicative of usual character.

going4roses
classic
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.