Will any of the NFL bound Cal players skip the bowl?

3,646 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by okaydo
MilleniaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apparently it's a thing these days to skip bowls to save themselves for draft - a business decision. Any Cal guys making that decision? No inside info here - just curious.
Bobodeluxe
Giggles
SpecSlayer
0 chance Weaver skips it, he wants to break the record and loves Cal too much

The only other NFL caliber player on our team is Ashtyn Davis, he honestly might skip but I don't think so.
FuzzyWuzzy
SpecSlayer said:

The only other NFL caliber player on our team is Ashtyn Davis, he honestly might skip but I don't think so.
I don't know what the draft boards say but I think Jaylinn is a better prospect.
Pigskin Pete
SpecSlayer said:

Break what record?
StillABear1
Pigskin Pete said:

SpecSlayer said:

Break what record?
The all time NCAA single season tackles record.
burritos
StillABear1 said:

Pigskin Pete said:

SpecSlayer said:

Break what record?
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/tackles-total-player-season.html

Luke Kuechly holds the #1 191 and 2 183 position. Weaver is at 6 with 172. He has a reasonable shot at #2. #1 is kind of reachy. Luke is very good in the NFL. The rest of the list I'm not too familiar with, so not sure if this high end numeric is a good metric for NFL success, but I suspect Weaver is going to have success at the next level.
Sebastabear
burritos said:

StillABear1 said:

Pigskin Pete said:

SpecSlayer said:

Break what record?

Luke Kuechly holds the #1 191 and 2 183 position. Weaver is at 6 with 172. He has a reasonable shot at #2. #1 is kind of reachy. Luke is very good in the NFL. The rest of the list I'm not too familiar with, so not sure if this high end numeric is a good metric for NFL success, but I suspect Weaver is going to have success at the next level.

Weaver has had more than 20 tackles in a game already this season. The record is within his (outstretched) grasp.
Blueblood
MilleniaBear said:

Apparently it's a thing these days to skip bowls to save themselves for draft - a business decision. Any Cal guys making that decision? No inside info here - just curious.
The better question is, "Does it really matter if any such player skips the bowl game?"

If Weaver skips this game and his absence really negatively impacts the game, then Cal is in real trouble next year.
burritos
Sebastabear said:

burritos said:

StillABear1 said:

Pigskin Pete said:

SpecSlayer said:

Break what record?

Weaver has had more than 20 tackles in a game already this season. The record is within his (outstretched) grasp.
Doable but kind of reachy:
FloriDreaming
Blueblood said:

MilleniaBear said:

The better question is, "Does it marelly matter if any such player skips the bowl game?"

If Weaver skips this game and his absence really negatively impacts the game, then Cal is in real trouble next year
Really?

Just because a player makes a big impact in this season doesn't mean his absence will portend doom next season. Cal and every other team has an off-season to develop younger players and integrate new recruits and redshirts.

But in the current season, a player like Weaver is integral. He's played all season as the linchpin of the D, so his sudden absence would hurt.

So it is entirely possible that a Cal D minus Weaver would be greatly diminished in a bowl game this year, AND a 2020 defense minus Weaver could actually improve over this season. In fact, I'd argue the odds of Cal's defense being better in 2020 than 2019 are better than even.
Blueblood
Uthaithani said:

Blueblood said:

MilleniaBear said:

The better question is, "Does it really matter if any such player skips the bowl game?"

If Weaver skips this game and his absence really negatively impacts the game, then Cal is in real trouble next year
Really?

Just because a player makes a big impact in this season doesn't mean his absence will portend doom next season. [For Cal, yes it does.] Cal and every other team has an off-season to develop younger players and integrate new recruits and redshirts. [No s#!% jose'. Who's the replacement for Weaver next season?...can't be from the recruits I've seen so far...current players? Let's just say I'm from Missouri...."show me"....]

But in the current season, a player like Weaver is integral.[Again, no s#!% jose' (God, I hope your name isn't jose')] He's played all season as the linchpin of the D, so his sudden absence would hurt.
[..okay....ergo my contention put forth above...Weaver seems like one of a kind like AR was at QB for the Bears..So until shown otherwise...Cal will be in trouble next year.]

So it is entirely possible that a Cal D minus Weaver would be greatly diminished in a bowl game this year [...and very probably nextyear too.], AND a 2020 defense minus Weaver could actually improve over this season. [Huh? How could it improve if without Weaver you contend the defense "would hurt"?] In fact, I'd argue the odds of Cal's defense being better in 2020 than 2019 are better than even.
[Okay, you say you "argue", so where are your arguments?]
Cave Bear
burritos said:

StillABear1 said:

Pigskin Pete said:

SpecSlayer said:

Break what record?

Agree that #1 will be difficult to get, but Weaver has surpassed 19 tackles three times this season so it's easily within the realm of possibility. It will help that Illinois runs a lot and not very effectively.
TomBear
Weaver was asked about his feelings about possibly skipping the bowl game last night on the telecast of the Cal basketball game against UNLV. His answer was exactly what I expected. It was an emphatic "no", he will not skip the game. And like me, he doesn't think too highly of those who would do such a thing.
Big C
TomBear said:

Weaver was asked about his feelings about possibly skipping the bowl game last night on the telecast of the Cal basketball game against UNLV. His answer was exactly what I expected. It was an emphatic "no", he will not skip the game. And like me, he doesn't think too highly of those who would do such a thing.
Supposedly, off-mic, he scoffed at it as "something a freaking Furd might do". Supposedly.
concernedparent
FuzzyWuzzy said:

SpecSlayer said:

I don't know what the draft boards say but I think Jaylinn is a better prospect.
I think Jaylinn is a better safety right now, but Ashtyn can return kicks and will run a 4.4, maybe a 4.3something. Projectability matters; I think Ashtyn will go rounds 2-4, whereas Jaylinn is a round 4-UDFA guy.
Sebastabear
Big C said:

TomBear said:

Supposedly, off-mic, he scoffed at it as "something a freaking Furd might do". Supposedly.
God I love Weaver.
75bear
Apparently Ashtyn will miss the Bowl.
Blueblood
Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

TomBear said:

God I love Weaver.
Might I suggest starting your romance with a box of chocolates!
okaydo
I strongly disagree with Weaver, yet love that comment.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.