Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Cal FB Recruiting
Cal Football

Cal Football 2020 Early Signing Day Central

December 18, 2019

The Bears are expected to sign most of their 2020 class commits today on the first day of the early signing period. We’ll be updating the progress of today’s signing activity here throughout the day. 

Kicking things of with a look back:

The first signing of the day came from down under, with Aussie punter Jamieson Sheahan first in line to ink with the Bears. The 22-year old Aussie Rules Football punter brings a big leg and an accurate touch to the Bears and will replace fellow Aussie punter Stephen Coutts, who is set to graduate.

Big 6-3/2€0 OG/DT Jaedon Roberts‍ is in next for the Bears. The physically-dominant Roberts excelled on both sides of the line but will likely come in on the offensive side of the ball. Originally from Sausalito, CA, Roberts stars for Avon Old Farms High School in Avon, CT.

6-2/205 Desert Ridge (Mesa, AZ) receiver Aidan Lee‍ is third in line for the Bears today. The big, physical receiver had a breakout season this year, hauling in 76 passes for 1,088 yards and 10 tds as a senior.

Elite track and field and football athlete Mason Mangum‍ is #4 for Cal today. The 6-0/175 speedster (4.45 forty) scored 3 td's in last weekend Texas 6A state semifinal victory. So far this season, Mangum has compiled 61 catches for 957 yards and 13 td’s for Westlake.

Cal signee #5 is big 6-4/330 DT Ricky Correia‍. Correia dominated both sides of the line for state champ Fresno’s Central East High School, even scoring a touchdown at jumbo fullback. Correia overcame two broken wrists to tally 73 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks on the season.

Next up is 6-2/210 Jesuit Catholic (Portland, OR) HS linebacker Andy Alfieri‍. The tough-nosed LB overcame a spinal fracture to help lead his squad to the state semifinals this season.

Signee #7 is Bishop Amat running back Damien Moore‍ The 5-10/185 Moore was named Co-MVP of the talented Mission League in his senior season.

Next up is big, rangy 6-4/215 WR Tommy Christakos‍ . The Chaparal/Scottsdale athlete also has a big leg and should compete at PK for the Bears, too.

Signee #9 is 6-1/185 Hart/Newhall QB Zach Johnson‍. The 3 star QB overcame a rough start to finish with 27 tds and 13 ints with 2,788 yards and a 60% completion rate, following in the footsteps of former Hart/Cal QB greats Joe Kapp and Kyle Boller.

Next up at #10 is 5-10/165 Corona Centennial DB Isaiah Young‍. One of the early commits for Cal who helped build the class, Young is in the mold of Cal nickel back Traveon Beck -tough in coverage and never backs down.

Signee #11 was 6-3/199 Buhach Colony (Atwater, CA) DB and 2020 Cal recruiter extraordinaire, Trey Paster‍ . The 3 star DB brings great length and a big-hitting, aggressive coverage playing style to the field

Signee #12 was a big one for the Bears, holding off Oregon for the talented 4 star Central East/Fresno 6-2/180 receiver, Jeremiah Hunter‍. Hunter helped lead Central to the state championship with a masterful performance and finished the year with 79 catches for 1,194 yards and 16 tds.

Big Ethan Saunders‍ was signee #13, with the 6-3/285 defensive end inking with the Bears this morning. The Orange Vista (Perris, CA) 3 star brings a nice blend of size and athleticism to the DE position and can also play inside. He put up crazy numbers this season, compiling 52 tackles, 34 tackles for loss, eight sacks, one interception, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and one pass breakup

6-8/290 Turlock OT Everett Johnson‍ was the Bears first commitment by a mile, verbaling to Cal in February of his junior year. He was also signee #14 today. Johnson brings a college-ready body and strong technique and should potentially compete to be in the rotation as a true frosh.

Signee #15 was Orange Lutheran (Anaheim, CA) OL Ender Aguilar‍. The versatile 6-5/260 Aguilar largely played on the Orange Lutherine d-line but will play o-line at Cal.

Signee #16 was another important addition to the Bears’ 2020 class in Calabasas QB Jaden Casey‍. Flipping earlier from FSU to Cal, the 6-1/185 QB can make all the passes, throwing for accuracy, with good arm strength and pocket presence. Casey was also one of two Cal signees with Alabama offers.

Justin Baker‍ the playmaker checked in at signee #17. The 5-10/185 Kennedy Catholic (Sammamish, WA) High School athlete brings his dynamic athleticism to the Bears with his receiving, running and kick return skills all in one versatile, speedy package.

Signee #18 was San Diego cornerback Tyson McWilliams‍. The 6-3/175 McWilliams is in the long, rangy playmaking style the Bears like in their corners. He also excelled on both sides of the ball, playing receiver as well for St. Augustine.

The next signee was one every Cal fan had their sights on. With USC, Oregon and Utah making tough bids to flip him, 6-3/220 Mililani, Hawaii inside linebacker Muelu Iosefa‍ stuck with the Bears, becoming signee #19. An aggressive, big-hitting, sideline-to-sideline LB, Iosefa is sure to be a key addition to the Bears’ D.

Fellow islander Stanley McKenzie‍  was signee #20 for the Bears. The strong and versatile 6-2/310 McKenzie, who led St. Louis-Honolulu to a state championship can play inside or out but is slated for the inside for the Bears.

Signee #21 may have been Cal’s biggest, in 6-3/235 Eastside Catholic tight end DJ Rogers‍ . The rangy, athletic, sure-handed 4 star athlete missed some games late season but when on the field, he presented mismatches hard for linebackers and safeties to navigate with his size, speed and pass-catching ability.

4 star RB Chris Street‍ was next for the Bears. Street missed much of his senior season to injury but when healthy, the 5-10/195 JSerra RB was a load for defenses with his powerful, slashing running style.

5-10/185 Texas DB Collin Gamble‍ was next. The Bears beat out some tough competition in Notre Dame, Michigan and more for the smooth-cover DB.

Cal's 24th signee of the day was 5-11/180 Antioch safety Dejuan Butler‍ . The versatile and speedy (10.7 100) Butler did it all for Antioch, excelling at safety, corner, LB and RB. Cal beat out UCLA for Butler's commitment.

The 25th and final signee of the day was Capistrano Valley TE Jake Muller‍. The 6-5/235 has the frame to bulk up to the 250-60 range and be a pass-catching inline tight end for the Bears to complement Cal’s other TE signee, DJ Rogers.

And finally, a word from one of Cal’s many impact NFL players -former Bear Marvin Jones:

Stay tuned for more signing day content coming up today.

Discussion from...

Cal Football 2020 Early Signing Day Central

26,648 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bowlesman80
BearoutEast67
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's early! I suppose Australia is a day ahead on the calendar? Solid class expected and hoping for a few nice surprises.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
89Bear
On his bio, Sheahan has Geelong Grammar School listed as his prior school.
Can't wait for him to turn pro and announce that on Sunday or Monday Night Football, infuriating some on this board!!!

GoldenB
letters coming in fast now Paster, Johnson, Christakos, Moore, Hunter and Young now announced
GranadaHillsBear
Excited to see the recruiting video of these guys. Good work, Moraga
LACalFan
I have a feeling Aiden Lee is going to be very productive.
LACalFan
GoldenB said:

letters coming in fast now Paster, Johnson, Christakos, Moore, Hunter and Young now announced
Relieved to see Hunter locked in. Nice!
LMK5
According to the rules, when a player signs does that mean he can no longer decommit?
LACalFan
Big guy
Cal89
LACalFan said:

Big guy

Indeed. I imagine the nickname Everest might be used for this guy!

Like how this class is solidifying...
Sig test...
LACalFan
The QB is in
Rushinbear
LMK5 said:

According to the rules, when a player signs does that mean he can no longer decommit?
can but he has to sit out a year (normally).
Rushinbear
LACalFan said:

The QB is in

Heady player.
OneKeg
Cal Twitter says Iosefa is in!
LACalFan
OneKeg said:

Cal Twitter says Iosefa is in!
That was looking dicey for a hot minute. Nice!!!
OneKeg
So who is left as of 9:45am Pacific? I think we have 20 of the 25 expected so far.

- DB Gamble (TX) - OzarkBear just posted a tweet (from Gamble's high school) saying that Gamble would announce at 12:15pm Central, so 10:15am Pacific, in half an hour.
- TE Rogers (WA)
- RB Street (CA)
- DB Butler (CA)
- TE Muller (CA)
KoreAmBear
Got Rogers, kept Iosefa. I'm good. Any late surprises?
OneKeg
With Rogers and Street also in, that leaves 3 (of the expected commitments anyway):

TX DB Gamble - was going to do a lunchtime (Central time zone) announcement?
CA DB Butler - announcing around lunchtime Pacific?
CA TE Muller
FloriDreaming
OneKeg said:

With Rogers and Street also in, that leaves 3 (of the expected commitments anyway):

CA TE Muller
Thanks for the updates. Hard for us working stiffs to keep track, appreciate it.
ferCALgm2
OneKeg said:

CA TE Muller
Gamble is also in now.
NVBear78
This is a fantastic class-look at the official sizes listed of these players-really impressive. This group comes in with the size and strength to play right away-plus great athleticism!

Go Bears!
NVBear78
LACalFan said:

Agree with you for sure LA! His senior year was incredible and he seems to be on an upward trajectory....
91/95
Dejuan Butler Twitter

Twitter says Butler is signing at 1pm
A lifetime of suffering as a Cal fan.
LMK5
Rushinbear said:

LMK5 said:

I see. Thanks.
91Cal
LMK5 said:

Rushinbear said:

LMK5 said:

I see. Thanks.
Unless the school originally signed with releases them...iirc we have done this in the past in the event of a coaching change? Certainly we did with BBall players, but I seem to recall that we did so for at least one FBall player. A lineman to Arizona perhaps?

Am I recalling this accurately?
LACalFan
NVBear78 said:

LACalFan said:

Agree with you for sure LA! His senior year was incredible and he seems to be on an upward trajectory....
If you want a laugh, check out Rivals evaluation and still rating him a 2 star. What a joke.

"Lee had a breakout year at Desert Ridge, as his squad turned to a more pass-oriented attack. Lee became one of the best receivers in Arizona's 6A division, the top level of competition in the state. Lee also impressed Rivals' analysts during the Rivals Camp Series, where he was one of the top performers among a loaded field in the Los Angeles camp earlier this year. He will be an outside receiver at Cal."
OneKeg
Uthaithani said:

OneKeg said:

CA TE Muller
Thanks for the updates. Hard for us working stiffs to keep track, appreciate it.

Ha no problem. Can't speak for the others, but I'm a working stiff too. Just have a little flexibility to check and post in the cracks. Go Bears!
OneKeg
So is TE Muller the only outstanding expected commit right now?
OneKeg
LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

I think so, and maybe an extreme long shot with Carlton.

Right. Or assuming no Carlton, perhaps we use one of our 2 remaining scholarships for 2020 to build on the local angle with Rutchena.
LACalFan
OneKeg said:

LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

Right. Or assuming no Carlton, perhaps we use one of our 2 remaining scholarships for 2020 to build on the local angle with Rutchena.
Yup, Rutchena is still a possibility
Cal89
LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

If so, would he be LB here, or receiver?

He mentioned that he'd prefer the later, but admits he's a better LB...
Sig test...
LACalFan
Cal89 said:

LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

I think the staff like him @LB. Not positive tho
Cal89
LACalFan said:

Cal89 said:

LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

Thanks. That would have been my guess. Looks like Toler took lead on the recruitment though...
Sig test...
edg64
OneKeg said:

CA TE Muller

SoCal here; Street is a BIG get.
congrats Cal
LACalFan
Cal89 said:

LACalFan said:

Cal89 said:

LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

Thanks. That would have been my guess. Looks like Toler took lead on the recruitment though...
That could indicate position group, but it could also just be a regional recruiting assignment.
Cal89
LACalFan said:

Cal89 said:

LACalFan said:

Cal89 said:

LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

LACalFan said:

OneKeg said:

That could indicate position group, but it could also just be a regional recruiting assignment.
True that. It will be interesting to see if he signs, and on what side of the ball...
Sig test...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.