Story Poster
Photo by Bear Insider
Cal Football

Baldwin Meets With Media

December 22, 2019

For the first time since officially taking over the head coaching position at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, departing offensive coordinator Beau Baldwin met with the media after practice on Saturday, December 21.

“We’ve got professionals here. You know what I mean by that. I know they’re young, but they’re mature and they understand,” Baldwin said of what it’s been like at practice after the announcement of his impending departure. “And quite frankly, there’s a sad feeling because it’s such a great locker room and a great group of guys. But I’m just so thankful to spend these last few weeks going into the bowl game.”

Baldwin spoke about how the timing worked out well for him to spend time in San Luis Obispo as Cal did not hold practices during finals. He also spoke about how the staff at Cal Poly — even those that might not necessarily stay — were able to hold the recruiting class in place for national signing day last week. Baldwin said he plans to keep some of the current staff at Cal Poly in place, but unfortunately, will have to let some go. From Cal’s current staff, Baldwin has announced he’s taking running backs coach Nick Edwards to serve as offensive coordinator at San Luis Obispo.

“I think he’s good in so many ways. I mean, I always have,” Baldwin said of Edwards. “That goes all the way back to him as a player.”

Baldwin also spoke briefly about Illinois prep.

“They’re very sound. There is an NFL style to it,” Baldwin said of the Illini’s defense. Compared to the Pac-12, Baldwin said there is a lot more split safety play instead of post safety. Illinois also uses a more even front compared to teams in the Pac-12 that play a lot more of an odd front. 

“They’re very good at what they do,” Baldwin said, adding the defense reminds him a bit of Stanford, not schematically, but how they execute. “They don’t necessarily get super complicated. But they’re very sound because of that in exactly what they do.”

Discussion from...

Baldwin Meets With Media

7,670 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by drizzlybears brother
travelingbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baldwin hasn't mentioned much about current cal staff. I hope they're departing on amicable terms and there's no bad blood?
Trumpanzee
I just hope he takes Tui with him.....
calumnus
IdahoBear said:

Tui is Wilcox's buddy. I think Baldwin taking over QB duties indicated some conflict there. If Tui leaves it will be for a D1 job elsewhere.
Trumpanzee
calumnus said:

IdahoBear said:

Tui is Wilcox's buddy.

Say it isn't so!!!!! I thought he was a better judge of character than that.....
LunchTime
IdahoBear said:

calumnus said:

IdahoBear said:

Tui is Wilcox's buddy.

Say it isn't so!!!!! I thought he was a better judge of character than that.....
could be Tui isn't the problem, or hasn't found his strength coaching.
Gkhoury2325
No way Tui goes to Cal Poly. He did a very solid job recruiting getting Rodgers and Mueller. He helped with the Poly Kids In Hawaii. If he can secure 2021 TE Terry and/or Bowers he will get major props from a lot of folks. He is a solid TE's Coach.
Trumpanzee
Good info, but I can't say he did a solid job with the TE's based off all the dropped balls this season.
Gkhoury2325
Not any of the TE's would start at any other school in the PAC-12. They are not big, fast, or fierce blockers. They had the drops early on. Reinwald and Tonges proved to be serviceable until more talent comes in. They ran good routes and made tough catches as the season carried on. They become solid producers, although, I realize not world beaters. Tui did quite a bit with very little in my opinion. Just my opinion.
calumnus
IdahoBear said:

calumnus said:

IdahoBear said:

Tui is Wilcox's buddy.

I think people question Tui's coaching more than his character. He is supposedly a devout Christian, FWIW. He does seem to be despised on this board. Of course, Wilcox is buddies with Tosh too so...
drizzlybears brother
IdahoBear said:

calumnus said:

IdahoBear said:

Tui is Wilcox's buddy.

It's a strength of yours is it?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.