How Stubhub almost made me miss the Redbox Bowl

8,544 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ColoradoBear
LMK5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been using Stubhub for many years without any issues, but this time was very different. On December 13th I bought 2 tickets in section C216, right at the 50 yard line in row 1. I paid about $150 per ticket, including fees. The Stubhub site indicated the tickets would be available by December 29th as a mobile transfer, a method commonly used these days. Not the greatest arrangement, but I have had tickets delivered fairly close to game days before, so I trusted them. Here's what went down:

On December 28th, I called Stubhub and told them I didn't have my tickets yet. I also mentioned that I was flying to the game early on December 30th and had to have tickets in hand before that date. They told me not to worry, that the seller was one of their biggest ticket providers. On December 29th I still hadn't heard from Stubhub. My account clearly said that the tickets would be ready by December 29th. When I called Stubhub again, they said they had until midnight to produce the tickets. At 10PM I called again and asked them what could possibly happen in the next 2 hours that hasn't happened in the last 16 days to produce the tickets? Again, they said they had until midnight.

At midnight, now December 30th, still no tickets. I contacted them by chat (only method available) and said their ticket replacement people were not in until 5AM. At 5AM, 1.5 hours before I had to leave for the airport, I called again and requested replacements. They wanted to put me on the Illinois side. No bueno. I settled for tickets in C213, but again I had to get them by mobile transfer. The agent called the seller while I was on hold and assured me that I would have them in 15 minutes.

So I take my shower and after 45 minutes still no tickets. I call Stubhub and tell them the clock has run out on them again and I want a refund. They tell me the tickets are coming, put me on hold, and give me a hard time about the refund. I tell them they had their chances and I was done. Finally they approved a refund. I then get on Ticketmaster and buy 2 retail (not verified resale) tickets in C214, row 18 for $125 plus fees. I had them on my phone immediately, then left for the airport.

Here's something that surprised me: At no time in the process with Stubhub did I receive a communication of any kind that alerted me to a possible issue, not on December 29th and not even when the tickets were overdue on December 30th. No communication whatsoever. As a matter of fact, on December 30th on my Stubhub account page it still said "Tickets ready by December 29th." No red flags, no message on how to proceed, no nothing. You're on your own fella, start scrambling.

Lesson learned: When you purchase tickets, avoid those that claim the tickets will be ready less than 3 days from the event date. There really is no reason for that. I'm not sure exactly what happened in my case. Was it fraud? Did the seller just have a brain fart? Who knows, but looking back, and knowing that all the tickets were released from the ATOs and Ticketmaster weeks before the game, my December 29 availability date should have been a red flag to me. I wasn't concerned due to all my previous experience with Stubhub. Anyway, something to think about for your next purchase.
remb8888
tldr
oskidunker
That was the case with all stub hub tickets for that game. The redbox bowl aka stadium did not want resale which can lead to fraud.

Several friends did nit go because of this. No one wanted to wait until the day before to get mobile tickets which they were not comfortable with. They need to make it easier.

Also who was selling these tickets? Who was able to buy in advance and offer for resale? The price never came down which seems strange.
Go Bears!
a7051
I bought two tickets from ticketmaster and found out my dad wanted to sit someplace else, so I sold the two I had purchased through stubhub. Got notified they sold, and transferred them the same day. 12/11.
Stubhub wasn't holding the tickets, so I had to do the transfer myself through Ticketmaster. It isn't hard, but is an extra step as a seller.
TLDR: the seller had to do the transfer so that's why stubhub didnt notify you there was an issue. They most likely did their part of notifying the seller and the seller didn't do their part. Super frustrating for you, and sorry to hear that happened.
FuzzyWuzzy
remb8888 said:

tldr
Worth reading unless you are a stay at home fan.
LMK5
a7051 said:

I bought two tickets from ticketmaster and found out my dad wanted to sit someplace else, so I sold the two I had purchased through stubhub. Got notified they sold, and transferred them the same day. 12/11.
Stubhub wasn't holding the tickets, so I had to do the transfer myself through Ticketmaster. It isn't hard, but is an extra step as a seller.
TLDR: the seller had to do the transfer so that's why stubhub didnt notify you there was an issue. They most likely did their part of notifying the seller and the seller didn't do their part. Super frustrating for you, and sorry to hear that happened.
In the past when I was to receive mobile transfer tickets I received an email from stubhub notifying me that the transfer was now available, along with an email from ticketmaster. So it does appear that stubhub is fully aware of when and if the transfer from the seller happens (or doesn't happen).
LMK5
oskidunker said:

That was the case with all stub hub tickets for that game. The redbox bowl aka stadium did not want resale which can lead to fraud.

Several friends did nit go because of this. No one wanted to wait until the day before to get mobile tickets which they were not comfortable with. They need to make it easier.

Also who was selling these tickets? Who was able to buy in advance and offer for resale? The price never came down which seems strange.
Are you saying that all tickets on stubhub were only available on 12/29? I did see some that were available as printable tickets instantly.

As far as who had the tickets, I presumed that 49er season ticket holders had an option to buy advanced tickets, as well as all the people who bought from the school ATOs. I also thought that maybe the ATOs were selling some tickets this way as an added sales avenue. I do agree that a one-time bowl game is a different situation than a regular season game when it comes to traditional ticket holders.
ducky23
LMK5 said:

oskidunker said:

Are you saying that all tickets on stubhub were only available on 12/29? I did see some that were available as printable tickets instantly.

As far as who had the tickets, I presumed that 49er season ticket holders had an option to buy advanced tickets, as well as all the people who bought from the school ATOs. I also thought that maybe the ATOs were selling some tickets this way as an added sales avenue. I do agree that a one-time bowl game is a different situation than a regular season game when it comes to traditional ticket holders.

I believe that most tickets sold thru stubhub were only available on the 29th. I think it's because Levi's only released them on that day because of their BS mobile only "try to avoid fraud" rotating barcode stupid ass system.

There were a couple instant transfer tickets available. But those were only tickets bought straight from cal ATO as cal delivered tickets via pdf and not thru the Levi's app.

Most niners season ticket holders I know hate the mobile only thing. Some like having paper tickets. Others say it makes selling on secondary market too difficult.
CannonBlast
@LMK5 had a similar experience for a Jo Koy show last August. They need to do a better job enforcing things with resellers. I try not to use StubHub anymore. Their fees are getting ridiculous and their customer service is terrible. I try to use SeatGeek or go straight to the box office where the Tix are not at a premium.
egbear82
I bought two for the Redbox Bowl game thru Stubhub and also had to wait till the 29th which made me nervous.. I had to join some website and was then able to view my tix. Strange that for the Nat Championship game last year they didn't do this is it just for the Redbox Bowl?
I Bear
I purchased six tickets from our ATO without any problems, just saying.
oskidunker
But did you have to stand for the entire game, being in the Cal section?
Go Bears!
ColoradoBear
Thanks for the post lmk. Confirms suspicions on why to be skeptical of tickets that are not delivered instantaneously.

Because the ticketing at Levi's is done through ticketmaster, I found seats in the ticketmaster exchange, and those were instantly transferred. But one thing I noticed was that the same seats were listed multiplle sites - so there were brokers that likely were not making transfers instant on StubHub, even if they could.
auberge
I bought my tickets from the Cal ATO and got them immediately by mail. A friend whom I was planning to go to the game with never got his tickets and had to cancel. I had problems with parking purchased through StubHub and finally got them resolved on the 29th. It all worked out for me but I would never go with electronic planned game ticket delivery so close to the game. I'm not a 49er fan so don't have to worry about Levi's policies, fortunately.
philbert
I am guessing the broker that sold your tix sold them elsewhere for a big markup and was willing to break your order. StubHub does penalize you financially for breaking an order, so he must have made big money. Was probably hoping for replacement tix to show up on the market so he could offer replacements, but they never showed up.

I think most of the big sellers have automated software to take care of transfers for them.
LMK5
philbert said:

I am guessing the broker that sold your tix sold them elsewhere for a big markup and was willing to break your order. StubHub does penalize you financially for breaking an order, so he must have made big money. Was probably hoping for replacement tix to show up on the market so he could offer replacements, but they never showed up.

I think most of the big sellers have automated software to take care of transfers for them.
I thought that was a possibility. I paid $120 per ticket (about $150 with fees) for what I believe is one of the best seats in the house--C216 row 1. Maybe just a little too good to be true? Anyway I'm definitely going to watch those availability dates in the future.
BearBones
It appears to me that Ticketmaster--when it is the official ticket seller for an event--is trying to make it as difficult as possible for the competition (e.g. StubHub) to compete.
ColoradoBear
BearBones said:

It appears to me that Ticketmaster--when it is the official ticket seller for an event--is trying to make it as difficult as possible for the competition (e.g. StubHub) to compete.
For sure. With the absolute consent of the team as well since they both get a cut of the reselling fees.

Rotating barcodes are annoying as hell since they require an active internet connection. At the same time, the sheer number of people bogging down the cellular networks makes that hard. (I'm not sure why they can't have an algorithm that does not require a connection - if the ticket has been sold the scanner, which is on the internet, would say 'transferred').

I've been to 3 NFL stadiums with the rotating codes this year - two had vastly improved WiFi, so at least that is a plus for fans. Levi's WiFi was super quick, though the stadium was at 1/2 capacity.

LMK5
BearBones said:

Hmm, never thought about that but you have a point. As a matter of fact, the 2 times that I had to wait until a couple of days before the event to get my tickets those tickets did wind up coming from Ticketmaster.

Question: When buying a "verified resale" ticket from Ticketmaster, does the ticket come to you right away or do they also make you sweat it out?
ColoradoBear
ducky23 said:

LMK5 said:

oskidunker said:

I believe that most tickets sold thru stubhub were only available on the 29th. I think it's because Levi's only released them on that day because of their BS mobile only "try to avoid fraud" rotating barcode stupid ass system.
While the rotating barcode system is annoying, it doesn't prevent instant transfers through the Ticketmaster system. Check out all the instant resale tickets available for the Niners Playoff games.

It might be that the broker bought tickets through the group tickets office or Fevo, which then had the later delivery date on them. I know when I looked at the $20 family pack seats, they said up front the tickets would be not be delivered instantly, but near game day. I mean the brokers had to be getting some kind of discount because there were whole rows for sale in the club seats for well under face. And obviously it makes no sense to sell for a loss in a half full stadium.
BearBones
LMK5 said:

Question: When buying a "verified resale" ticket from Ticketmaster, does the ticket come to you right away or do they also make you sweat it out?
I bought six tickets directly from Ticketmaster (not resale tickets) two weeks before the game. Ticketmaster sent me our tickets immediately.
ColoradoBear
LMK5 said:

BearBones said:

Hmm, never thought about that but you have a point. As a matter of fact, the 2 times that I had to wait until a couple of days before the event to get my tickets those tickets did wind up coming from Ticketmaster.

All good questions. I can't remember ever waiting for Ticketmaster verified seats. My club seats arrived within minutes and were $50 cheaper than non resale. They should tell you if not, I believe.

For stubhub to work with Ticketmaster (and flash seats, a smaller but growing ticket provider), the seller has to log into their season ticket account and transfer the seats via email. So if they don't do that, it's not automatic. Obviously, that is to drive business to the Ticketmaster Exchange. (Stubhub is still a big enough player that he competition seems to keep Ticketmaster prices in line).

I always took the stubhub 'deliver by' dates as stubhub's deadline for a seller to remain in good graces with the company. If someone does enough bulk, they are going to allow more leeway.

Their fan guarantee while not worthless seems to leave a lot to be desired - in your case there were hundreds of cheap club seats in the Illinois side, but people were paying a premium to sit on the Cal side.
LMK5
BearBones said:

LMK5 said:

I bought six tickets directly from Ticketmaster (not resale tickets) two weeks before the game. Ticketmaster sent me our tickets immediately.
Sure, the retail tickets come right away. My question is how Ticketmaster handles the "verified resale" tickets because those have already been sold to someone else. In the case of Stubhub, which are all de facto resale tickets if I'm not mistaken, sometimes you need to wait until a few days before game day to get your tickets, or in my case, one day before game day. It appears that the "mobile transfer" tickets on Stubhub are subject to this waiting period, and in my short experience those mobile tickets have always come from Ticketmaster or someone who originally purchased them from Ticketmaster.
Cal8285
One of the lessons here is that life is safer and simpler if you buy from the "authorized" reseller. If you are going to a Giants game or a Cal game, StubHub is the safest way to go. If you are going to a Warriors or 49ers game, the Ticketmaster resales are the safest way to go.

In part because of that, the "authorized" reseller prices tend to be higher (not always, though, in part because of the supply resellers are looking at).

Screwups from the "authorized" reseller are far more rare, because when the tickets are "sold" through the authorized reseller, the seller is really done, those tickets are gone. But in the rare cases when there is a screwup through an authorized reseller, they have a much easier time fixing it, because they have an easier time accessing replacements.

Yep, when it comes to Ticketmaster tickets, Ticketmaster makes life as difficult as it can for StubHub and other resale sites as opposed to the Ticketmaster resales. If you're getting much cheaper tickets or a much better location on StubHub, you might be taking your chances.
LMK5
Cal8285 said:

One of the lessons here is that life is safer and simpler if you buy from the "authorized" reseller. If you are going to a Giants game or a Cal game, StubHub is the safest way to go. If you are going to a Warriors or 49ers game, the Ticketmaster resales are the safest way to go.

In part because of that, the "authorized" reseller prices tend to be higher (not always, though, in part because of the supply resellers are looking at).

Screwups from the "authorized" reseller are far more rare, because when the tickets are "sold" through the authorized reseller, the seller is really done, those tickets are gone. But in the rare cases when there is a screwup through an authorized reseller, they have a much easier time fixing it, because they have an easier time accessing replacements.

Yep, when it comes to Ticketmaster tickets, Ticketmaster makes life as difficult as it can for StubHub and other resale sites as opposed to the Ticketmaster resales. If you're getting much cheaper tickets or a much better location on StubHub, you might be taking your chances.
Yeah, I never even considered the "Ticketmaster being a scumbag" angle, but the more it's mentioned the more it makes sense. Case in point: My daughter bought me tickets on Stubhub for the Cal/UCLA football game months before the Nov. 30 game day. Stubhub said they'd come, I believe, a few days before the game, which they did. They wound up coming from Ticketmaster. I remember wondering why the tickets would not be available much sooner, and it still doesn't make any sense except for Ticketmaster making Stubhub customers sweat.
ColoradoBear
LMK5 said:

Cal8285 said:

Yeah, I never even considered the "Ticketmaster being a scumbag" angle, but the more it's mentioned the more it makes sense. Case in point: My daughter bought me tickets on Stubhub for the Cal/UCLA football game months before the Nov. 30 game day. Stubhub said they'd come, I believe, a few days before the game, which they did. They wound up coming from Ticketmaster. I remember wondering why the tickets would not be available much sooner, and it still doesn't make any sense except for Ticketmaster making Stubhub customers sweat.
Ticketmaster being a scumbag in making customers sweat is somewhat of an oversimplification. They are not necessarily making Stubhub customers sweat. They are just not providing for a means of instant transfer. The actual seller is the one not transferring tickets on time, which is something they likely have to do manually.

5-10 years ago, one had to wait a few days for paper tickets to be deliverd via fedex. Instant 'verified' transfer has made that go away for the most part, so that is some progress.

The key to the verified instant transfers is that there can only be ONE verified reseller, because they need access to site's ticketing system to void and re-issue barcodes. That requires a contract with the school/team. So while Ticketmaster is making it hard to transfer outside their site, that is not just for their own benefit, but also for the venue's benefit. The venue owner such as the 49ers/cal/UCLA/etc are getting a kickback in the arrangement, so they are complicit too.

In your case, it sounds like the seller was the issue, not ticketmaster. I would guess that the seller does a large volume and sometimes can't keep track of it all, or was intentionally holding the tickets back to 'play the market' and couldn't deliver in the end because the tickets sold elsewhere. Stubhub allows it because they have no choice to keep marketshare.

Cal8285 is right in noting that going straight to the verified reseller is the most headache free way of doing things. I was already skeptical of the 'deliver by' dates close to game time, and your experience has definitely solidified that notion for me.

I have sold seats on stubhub before, a one option I remember is that one can specify 'tickets in hand' versus 'tickets will be delivered by'. If one specifies 'tickets in hand', stubhub gives maybe 2-3 days to complete the transfer (whether it's mailing, typing in barcodes, uploading PDF's, or transferring through a 3rd party ticket system). If they are not in hand, they have a cutoff that is a few days before the event. So now I'm thinking this is a good indicator of whether the seller has them in hand. More than a few days out, and they don't for whatever reason.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.