More on UCLA's football train wreck

12,678 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by helltopay1
Bear19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

Even though I should have faith because UCLA has been largely unsuccessful with their last several HC hires, I live in fear that they will replace Kelly all too soon and then strike gold with his successor. My goodness, we have a golden opportunity in front of us right now and we need to strike while the iron is hot. It could be our last chance: Who knows if there will even be college football (at least as we know it) in 20-30 years)?
Worse case, it transmutes into some version of flag football. One benefit of that: Former college football players don't see their IQs drop below 50 as they suffer from CTE and other brain injury related conditions.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Sebastabear said:

Year 4 coaches can't play the youth card - at least not with any shred of honesty. 2020 is our year. It's the year we should win and need to win. Our team will have a very impressive stable of veterans. Think Utah last year or Colorado a few years ago - hopefully with a happier ending than either of those. This is the year to load up on games. I may just reserve my entire Fall for Cal football.
I tend to agree. After next season, we could lose almost half the starters to graduation. Coaches will need to put many underclassmen defenders, RBs, OLs to the fire during games so they'll be ready to take over at a high level in '21. The scenario is not quite as drastically "this year or bust" as Sonny '15 but, if JW doesn't get ~6-7 conf. wins and North div. title this season (w/ favorable home schedule, experienced upperclassmen, several rivals rebuilding), he might have to wait until '22 or '23 to get another realistic shot at it.

Bynum, Hicks
Goode, Deng
Paul, Udeogu
--------------------------
Crawford, Clark
Dancy, Collins
Curhan, Saffell, Daltoso, Williams
------------------------------------------------------
There may be a couple more being granted med. rs?
dimitrig
Bear19 said:

oski003 said:

You can't use the youth card three years in a row.
Yutes? What's a "yute"?

A football team that creamed us last season.
Blueblood
Bear19 said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Not a ton of new conclusions (Chip is losing, players are transferring and he can't recruit). Only mind blower to me is that they may be bringing Azz back as DC. That's beyond belief given their defensive performance. And some of these numbers are pretty shocking. Worth a read if you're interested in hearing about the demise of one of our perennial rivals.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872260-after-4th-straight-losing-season-what-is-going-on-with-ucla-football
I was getting ready to throw a rock when I noticed the following from the cited article:

"UCLA managed only the smallest level of respectability with a 4-5 record in Pac-12 play."

Didn't Cal have a similar 4-5 conference record?
Yes. But our 4-5 record was far better than their 4-5 record. Anyone can tell you that.
Yes, I really understand that "anyone can tell (me) that" like you did, and true, I can't disagree with such a simpleton response.

Of course Cal had a better record because the Bears padded its record with super light-weight victories over the likes of UC Davis (NR), North Texas (#116), Ole Miss (#74), and Illinois (#50) [national rankings of all 130 CFB team are in parens.]. Whereas, ucla couldn't and didn't do such as the bruins played heartier opponents like San Diego State (#31), Cincinnati (#21) and Oklahoma (#7) [AP 2019 final rankings in parens].

Thus, I go along with the writers words of "smallest level of respectability", especially for Cal. Or, put another way, if I was a rooster, I wouldn't be doing a heck of lot of crowing...or the more macho chest thumping!
OneKeg
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

Sebastabear said:

Year 4 coaches can't play the youth card - at least not with any shred of honesty. 2020 is our year. It's the year we should win and need to win. Our team will have a very impressive stable of veterans. Think Utah last year or Colorado a few years ago - hopefully with a happier ending than either of those. This is the year to load up on games. I may just reserve my entire Fall for Cal football.
I tend to agree. After next season, we could lose almost half the starters to graduation. Coaches will need to put many underclassmen defenders, RBs, OLs to the fire during games so they'll be ready to take over at a high level in '21. The scenario is not quite as drastically "this year or bust" as Sonny '15 but, if JW doesn't get ~6-7 conf. wins and North div. title this season (w/ favorable home schedule, experienced upperclassmen, several rivals rebuilding), he might have to wait until '22 or '23 to get another realistic shot at it.

Bynum, Hicks
Goode, Deng
Paul, Udeogu
Crawford, Clark
Dancy, Collins
Yep - Bequette and Zeandae Johnson on the D-line got their 6th year.

I think CB Drayden will also be a 5th-year senior, possibly in Traveon Beck's nickel spot.
01Bear
OneKeg said:

Sebastabear said:

Bynum, Hicks
Goode, Deng
Paul, Udeogu
Crawford, Clark
Dancy, Collins

I think CB Drayden will also be a 5th-year senior, possibly in Traveon Beck's nickel spot.

Has the NCAA officially granted Bequette and Z. Johnson their 6th years of eligibility?
OneKeg
01Bear said:

OneKeg said:

Sebastabear said:

Bynum, Hicks
Goode, Deng
Paul, Udeogu
Crawford, Clark
Dancy, Collins

Has the NCAA officially granted Beauette and Z. Johnson their 6th years of eligibility?
My bad, I may be jumping the gun. Hope I don't jinx it.

My source is simply the Spring roster at calbears.com:
https://calbears.com/sports/football/roster

It doesn't show departed seniors like Evan Weaver, Jaylinn Hawkins, Ashtyn Davis, Traveon Beck, Ben Hawk Schrider, Lone T., Jordan Duncan, our PK Thomas etc.

But it does show Luc Bequette and Zeandae Johnson still there.

It also shows the early Spring joiners from our 2020 recruiting class.

That being said, they may know nothing and it may be wishful thinking.
calumnus
mvargus said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

You can't use the youth card three years in a row.

We did in regards to our offense. Probably will next year as well.
Who could be so ignorant about football and the Cal roster to think of claiming we'd play the "youth card" in 2020.

We'll have a junior QB with over 12 starts. - He's no youth and has proven to be an extremely effective play.

We'll have a junior starting at RB in Christopher Brown Jr. - He had what I'd consider a break out year with his play at the end of the season. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't break 1000 yards next season.

We'll have 8 OL returning with starting experience. (I'm not sure of the exact numbers, so using approximate games started)
Vincent Daltoso - 20+ games
Michael Saffell - 20+ games
Jake Curhan - 20+ games
Cindric - 11 games
Mettaur - 11 games
Will Craig - 10 games
Gentle Williams - 5 games

Hard to say we'll have 'young" OL.

Tight end? Reinwald and Tonges will both be juniors. Can use youth there.

WR?
Remigio - 3rd year and showed skill near end of the season
Crawford? - transfer who's got game and starting experience
Polk? - looked good at the end of the season. I can't call him a "youth".

We'll have an experienced offense next season. Only a complete git would say that we'll call our offense "young" in 2020.

Generally agree, but we will see. We have a new OC and new RB coach. It is not unusual for a new OC to have different ideas on personnel than the previous guy.
Cal88
hanky1 said:

altacalifornia said:

HighlandDutch said:

More good news for UCLA:

This part was interesting. Wasn't sure whether to post it here or under the numerous other threads about nutrition!

----
*** Upon hiring Kelly in Nov. 2017, the Bruins began to plow unprecedented
resources into the football program:

Expenses have climbed by 30 percent (or $8 million). The areas of elevated costs
include not only wages but nutrition Kelly is fanatical about nutrition.

The Bruins spent $997,000 on meals in FY17 under Mora. In the first full year
under Kelly (FY19), they spent $5.4 million.

Wt.f?!? What are they eating? Caviar everyday?

You have to make do, with the State's ban on foie gras.
Gkhoury2325
01Bear said:

OneKeg said:

Sebastabear said:

Bynum, Hicks
Goode, Deng
Paul, Udeogu
Crawford, Clark
Dancy, Collins

Has the NCAA officially granted Bequette and Z. Johnson their 6th years of eligibility?

I hear the answer is Yes. That's the reason they are still on spring roster.
01Bear
Gkhoury2325 said:

01Bear said:

OneKeg said:

Sebastabear said:

Bynum, Hicks
Goode, Deng
Paul, Udeogu
Crawford, Clark
Dancy, Collins

I hear the answer is Yes. That's the reason they are still on spring roster.

I hope so, as well. But it's the NCAA and this is Cal, not one of the teams the NCAA will bend over backwards to assist or favor.
chazzed
I hear you, but they kind of dug their own apparent, temporary grave by hiring a guy like Chip Kelly.
MoragaBear
Staff
Bequette and Johnson are officially cleared for 6th years.
heartofthebear
MoragaBear said:

DB Draydon too, correct? Or is he just in his 5th year?
01Bear
MoragaBear said:

That is great news!
OneKeg
heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

Josh Drayden will be a 5th-year senior.

He was a 4th-year senior in 2019. He had some injury issues and it worked out that he only played in 4 games so he'll get his 5th year by rule (as the rules stand now). Part of this was his (Drayden's) skipping the Redbox Bowl, for which of course Traveon Beck was back at nickel. That would have been Drayden's 5th game had he played in it.
heartofthebear
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

Blueblood said:

01Bear said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Not a ton of new conclusions (Chip is losing, players are transferring and he can't recruit). Only mind blower to me is that they may be bringing Azz back as DC. That's beyond belief given their defensive performance. And some of these numbers are pretty shocking. Worth a read if you're interested in hearing about the demise of one of our perennial rivals.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872260-after-4th-straight-losing-season-what-is-going-on-with-ucla-football
I was getting ready to throw a rock when I noticed the following from the cited article:

"UCLA managed only the smallest level of respectability with a 4-5 record in Pac-12 play."

Sure, but Cal also had a better overall (even winning) record to supplement that "smallest level of respectability."
You don't say? Well how about that! Beating OOC teams has really garnered a lot of respect in the confernece
for the Bears to the point where the fans are clawing their way into CMS!

Yep, with all our players healthy we put up 27 on UC Davis, just like Sac State did!

Cal OOC opponents
Win over 5-7 UC Davis
Win over 4-8 North Texas
Win over 4-8 Ole Miss
Bowl win over 6-7 Illinois

Collectively 19-30

UCLA OOC opponents
Loss to 11-3 Cincinnati
Loss to 10-3 San Diego State
Loss to 12-2 Oklahoma

Collectively 33-8

We would definitely be feeling differently if we didn't have the 3 OOC wins, two over complete patsies, and had finished 4-8. The Axe would still be just as sweet (though FWIW UCLA beat Stanford too, by 18 points versus our 4 points). We did beat UCLA in the head to head, however.

That said, with Musgrave coming in I am feeling very optimistic.

As you well know, Cal can only play the teams on its schedule, which is usually something that was contracted years in advance. While Davis and North Texas were unlikely to be juggernauts, who knew Ole Miss would be so bad? Additionally, the Illinois victory was in a bowl game, meaning the Illini weren't horrible, even if they weren't great.
While Cal can't control who is on their schedule it would nice if Cal did a better job of beating some of the conference pushovers like Colorado, Arizona and Oregon St. I like that we are showing up more in the big games and we know longer get blown out much, but, if we are talking about getting respect nationally we can't be laying eggs like we did last year against OSU. Rose bowl teams don't do that.
heartofthebear
OneKeg said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

He was a 4th-year senior in 2019. He had some injury issues and it worked out that he only played in 4 games so he'll get his 5th year by rule (as the rules stand now). Part of this was his (Drayden's) skipping the Redbox Bowl, for which of course Traveon Beck was back at nickel. That would have been Drayden's 5th game had he played in it.
Thanks. Having Drayden at NB next season will help a great deal on a somewhat depleted and soemwhat young secondary. I hope both Hicks and Bynum return. Has that been confirmed? If so, that would be a huge factor in our chances next season. I realize they both had kind of average seasons. But, I expect them to bounce back next season, especially Bynum, who should be trying for the pros.
MoragaBear
Staff
Yes, both Hicks and Bynum are returning, too.
heartofthebear
hanky1 said:

altacalifornia said:

HighlandDutch said:

More good news for UCLA:

This part was interesting. Wasn't sure whether to post it here or under the numerous other threads about nutrition!

----

Expenses have climbed by 30 percent (or $8 million). The areas of elevated costs

From the looks of it, Kelley is eating some of his players. That's why they keep disappearing/transferring.
heartofthebear
MoragaBear said:

Yes, both Hicks and Bynum are returning, too.
That's gunna help.
Sebastabear
heartofthebear said:

hanky1 said:

altacalifornia said:

HighlandDutch said:

More good news for UCLA:

----

From the looks of it, Kelley is eating some of his players. That's why they keep disappearing/transferring.
That joke works on multiple levels. Well done.
01Bear
heartofthebear said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

Blueblood said:

01Bear said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Sure, but Cal also had a better overall (even winning) record to supplement that "smallest level of respectability."
You don't say? Well how about that! Beating OOC teams has really garnered a lot of respect in the confernece
for the Bears to the point where the fans are clawing their way into CMS!

Yep, with all our players healthy we put up 27 on UC Davis, just like Sac State did!

Cal OOC opponents
Win over 5-7 UC Davis
Win over 4-8 North Texas
Win over 4-8 Ole Miss
Bowl win over 6-7 Illinois

Collectively 19-30

UCLA OOC opponents
Loss to 11-3 Cincinnati
Loss to 10-3 San Diego State
Loss to 12-2 Oklahoma

Collectively 33-8

We would definitely be feeling differently if we didn't have the 3 OOC wins, two over complete patsies, and had finished 4-8. The Axe would still be just as sweet (though FWIW UCLA beat Stanford too, by 18 points versus our 4 points). We did beat UCLA in the head to head, however.

That said, with Musgrave coming in I am feeling very optimistic.

As you well know, Cal can only play the teams on its schedule, which is usually something that was contracted years in advance. While Davis and North Texas were unlikely to be juggernauts, who knew Ole Miss would be so bad? Additionally, the Illinois victory was in a bowl game, meaning the Illini weren't horrible, even if they weren't great.
While Cal can't control who is on their schedule it would nice if Cal did a better job of beating some of the conference pushovers like Colorado, Arizona and Oregon St. I like that we are showing up more in the big games and we know longer get blown out much, but, if we are talking about getting respect nationally we can't be laying eggs like we did last year against OSU. Rose bowl teams don't do that.

I don't disagree, but that's an entirely different argument than the one BB was making.
calumnus
heartofthebear said:

OneKeg said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

Thanks. Having Drayden at NB next season will help a great deal on a somewhat depleted and soemwhat young secondary. I hope both Hicks and Bynum return. Has that been confirmed? If so, that would be a huge factor in our chances next season. I realize they both had kind of average seasons. But, I expect them to bounce back next season, especially Bynum, who should be trying for the pros.

I had counted them as gone. Getting those three back for a 5th year will be huge.
helltopay1
UCLA will always bounce back. They play in a talent-rich environment, play in the Rose Bowl, and UCLA has an easier admission policy than Cal. It isn't a fair fight, but, it is what it is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.