Story Poster
Photo by Cal Athletics

Cal Players Wind up Scouting Combine

March 1, 2020

INDIANAPOLIS – The NFL Scouting Combine that included former Cal football student-athletes Ashtyn Davis, Jaylinn Hawkins and Evan Weaver concluded Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Weaver's top result in the measurable testing came in the 20-yard shuttle where he recorded the second-fastest time among 30 linebackers at the combine with a 4.21. His other results included a 4.76 40-yard dash, 32.0 vertical jump, 117.0 broad jump, 7.02 3 cone drill and 15 reps of 225 pounds bench press reps.

Hawkins participated in the vertical jump (35.5) and broad jump (117.0), while Davis took part in the bench press (14 reps).

In addition to the measurable skills testing, Hawkins and Weaver also took part in on-field workouts while all three participated in hospital pre-exam and X-rays, measurements, medical examinations, media and team interviews, an NFLPA meeting and psychological testing.

The trio is among the expected participants at Cal's Pro Day on Friday, March 20 (TBA). The on-field portion of the annual event for former Golden Bears who are professional football prospects is open to the public.

The 2020 NFL Draft is scheduled for April 23-25 in Las Vegas.  

Related

Football Scouting Combine Underway This Week

Discussion from...

Cal Players Wind up Scouting Combine

5,968 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big C
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, at least it is a Combine story:

"36.5 inches: Iowa's Tristan Wirfs (6-foot-5-inches, 320 pounds) set a new NFL combine record for O-linemen with a 36.5-inch vertical (higher than WRs Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb), tied another with a 10-foot-1-inch broad jump and his 4.85-second 40-yard dash was the fastest ever by a 320+ pound player." Axios

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearNIt
bearister said:

"36.5 inches: Iowa's Tristan Wirfs (6-foot-5-inches, 320 pounds) set a new NFL combine record for O-linemen with a 36.5-inch vertical (higher than WRs Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb), tied another with a 10-foot-1-inch broad jump and his 4.85-second 40-yard dash was the fastest ever by a 320+ pound player." Axios

The kid is a flat out monster!
LMK5
So I guess Weaver's numbers were middle of the road, but then how do the scouts explain his great production? Intangibles? Football IQ? Anyone have any history on similar players' combine performance vs. their NCAA production and how that translated in their NFL careers?
bearister
BearNIt said:

bearister said:

The kid is a flat out monster!

If that guy was angry with you an running after you, only the Gypsy King could stand and fight.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
CALiforniALUM
LMK5 said:

So I guess Weaver's numbers were middle of the road, but then how do the scouts explain his great production? Intangibles? Football IQ? Anyone have any history on similar players' combine performance vs. their NCAA production and how that translated in their NFL careers?
He has always struck me as somebody who can run anybody down in the first 10-15 yards from where he is standing when the ball is hiked until he either catches the guy or not. I suspect he also reads plays well, meaning that he doesn't get caught too many times in the wrong spot. That all said, unfortunately at the NFL level his deficiencies will be exploited more than not.
Big C
LMK5 said:

They're probably thinking his numbers are middle-of-the-road compared to NFL prospects, but that he was a great college player. General consensus now is probably that this is a guy who is going to play in the NFL, but isn't going to go too early in the draft.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.